View Full Version : Insomnia...

Glok
01-03-04, 08:32
gngngng

It's 1:30am. I woke up after sleeping 3 hours or so. Kinda tired and don't feel like logging on, but not tired enough to sleep. Bleh. :o:confused:

Shujin
01-03-04, 08:42
pssha its like 1:40 am and i gotta wake up about 6 am to get ready to goto class then gotta try to get onto post to try to get a new id card bcuz mine is expired and itll prolly take me forever bcuz they prolly wont let me on without an id ;|

BlackPrince
01-03-04, 08:43
Gah, bloody tired but I got a helluva lot on my mind.

extract
01-03-04, 08:45
I dont get off work for another 7 hours and its only 1245am......u guys should be so lucky u get to stare at youre bed, I only get to think about staring at my bed :p

MortuusLupus
01-03-04, 08:49
It's 10:50 here and I have class at noon! WTF am I doing awak...wait, nevermind.

Glok
01-03-04, 08:52
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
It's 10:50 here and I have class at noon! WTF am I doing awak...wait, nevermind. Damn you. :(

I'm bored and my bed is taunting me. I'll have to wait for the euros to wake up and start posting for some entertainment.

Q`alooaith
01-03-04, 09:46
Hell how do you think I feel..

was on from about 12gmt till well, now, before that I was cleaning up the home...

naimex
01-03-04, 09:47
Originally posted by Glok
Damn you. :(

I'm bored and my bed is taunting me. I'll have to wait for the euros to wake up and start posting for some entertainment.

lol.. u posted that at 07:52 am :p

I had already left for school, long time ago by then.....

anyways.. insomnia.. I can relate to that.

Sitting up till like 3 or 4 am.. canīt sleep..

can just feel the thoughts in your head, focused on basics..

Food, Drink, neocron, cs, forum..

Then finally you go to watch a movie to get the head stop working only to find yourself still awake at the end of the movie only getting to sleep an hour or two before having to leave for school.

StrongSad
01-03-04, 10:02
I did a few experiments on myself this summer to see how long I could stay awake. All you have to do is think about the moment when your mind becomes unconcious and you drift into sleep. Also contemplating how 10 hours can feel like a few seconds helps to prevent you from falling asleep. I was able to go for 58 hours before my friend said it was probably unhealthy...(which it is very much so)

BUT...that doesnt help your situation obviously. Theres was this thing once I saw on TechTV where it taught you to have 'lucid dreams' or a dream where you are aware of being in a dream state. It allows you to interact with your dreams and remember the interaction when you awake. This has happened to me probably twice in my lifetime and was extremely disturbing both times seeing as I dont understand why it happens. Perhaps if knew you were able to have 'lucid dreams' every night sleep would be more enjoyable...rather than an obsticle(sp? o_0 ) each day.

extract
01-03-04, 10:06
Originally posted by StrongSad
I did a few experiments on myself this summer to see how long I could stay awake. All you have to do is think about the moment when your mind becomes unconcious and you drift into sleep. Also contemplating how 10 hours can feel like a few seconds helps to prevent you from falling asleep. I was able to go for 58 hours before my friend said it was probably unhealthy...

BUT...that doesnt help your situation obviously. Theres was this thing once I saw on TechTV where it taught you to have 'lucid dreams' or a dream where you are aware of being in a dream state. It allows you to interact with your dreams and remember the interaction when you awake. This has happened to me probably twice in my lifetime and was extremely disturbing both times seeing as I dont understand why it happens. Perhaps if knew you were able to have 'lucid dreams' every night sleep would be more enjoyable...rather than an obsticle(sp? o_0 ) each day.

id rather not remember my dreams, see in my dreams Im sure I do lots of hot chicks, but then I wake up and remember exactly how much of a naggy old bag I live with....just let me be miserable plz...kthx

naimex
01-03-04, 10:07
itīs never a problem to stay awake..

as long as something is happening you can stay awake.

That means going across the week without sleep boundary....

That is obviously not the problem for people with insomnia..

The problem is.. when you canīt sleep, no matter how hard you try, and whenever you get to sleep, it is only because you have passed into unconsciousness....

Itīs no fun waking up, not knowing where you are... or why.

Having no memory but the eternity gone by before the eyes closed long enough for the mind to rest and the protective layer of the eyes to be remade..

It burns in the eyes.. the head hurts...

The mind gets toasted, and thereīs nothing you can do about it.

Itīs a madmans hell.

Seven
01-03-04, 10:31
Try Melatonin Capsules, 3mgs.
Get the capsule form and not the tablets.
Twinlab makes a good one.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tl/mel.html

Kava-Kava is good also.
http://www.viableherbalsolutions.com/singles/herbs/s380.htm

I've had insomnia for over 7 years now and aside from various sleeping pills, the Melatonin and Kava were working fine until my Tinnitus (a constant loud ringing/hissing in the ears) started up again.
Now I take Melatonin and Kava plus Ambien (sleeping pill) just to get about 4 hours sleep a night. 8|

I had just gotten off the stupid sleeping pills last fall too. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck, I know how much it sucks..

Max Jefferson
01-03-04, 10:32
There are 2 solutions, both include drugs (this is the future dammit, we're supposed to be eating entire meals in pill form for god's sake):

1. Sleeping pills, take one... boom, asleep. Just make sure you aren't supposed to be doing anything for about 30 hours.

2. Kawhy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kawphy&f=1), this wonder drug has been in development for several thousand years and is damn near prefection. If you can't beat it? Encourage it! :p Has the bonus side effect of giving you spastic twitching and waking hallucinations if taken in large enough doses.

Remember, sleep is evil. Avoid it.

*twitch*

Glok
01-03-04, 10:37
I already am taking sleeping pills, 150mg of trazodone. Apparently it's also a mild anti-depressant. It totally knocks me out after about 20 minutes, but sometimes after a few hours of sleep, I wake up. It's pretty rare actually. :)

Psyco Groupie
01-03-04, 10:39
THE EUROS ARE COMING!!!

(the ones with school or uni today anyway)

but yeah, i get insomnia when i wake up late and then drink tons of caffeine and play cron all day, then my body like doesnt need to sleep for days o_O

Elric
01-03-04, 11:26
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
THE EUROS ARE COMING!!!

(the ones with school or uni today anyway)

Dont forget about us poor fuckers that have to work early :(

MortuusLupus
01-03-04, 13:42
Well, it's 3:43 here, about time for me to go to bed. I reckon if I fall asleep quickly I can get just under 8 hours of sleep. I hate monday, that's my early day. Wednesday is my favorite, no class till 5. :)

Dribble Joy
01-03-04, 14:32
Remember not to drink too much tea before bed.

I know it sounds dumb, but I have fucked up my sleeping patterns and nearly my course at uni because of my chronic addiction to tea, up to 8 pints a day at times.

Elric
01-03-04, 14:54
I imagine you were pissing like a horse then too :p

Max Jefferson
01-03-04, 21:38
Kawphy > Tea... I'm sorry you don't see that :(

Omnituens
02-03-04, 01:45
Coffee!!!!!! (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail91.html)

The Great Experiment.

Glok
02-03-04, 02:13
Well, 20 hours later I'm still up, and I got 3 pints of beer waiting for me. Maybe I'll sleep tonight.... :lol:

Marx
02-03-04, 02:14
Originally posted by Glok
Well, 20 hours later I'm still up, and I got 3 pints of beer waiting for me. Maybe I'll sleep tonight.... :lol:

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=kava+kava&spell=1).

StrongSad
02-03-04, 04:00
"Shark Mobile" "Could it work?" LMAO!!!!

Anyway. I tried the whole stay awake by stimulous thing. Didnt work for me. I fell asleep after 40 hours. My body just said FU and shut down. I cannot imagine staying awake for more than 3 days. I should try it sometime, wonder what it feels like? O_o

@ extract.....its not so much remembering, but controlling and making. Imagine if you went to sleep and were able to control a 6 hour experience and remember it when you awoke. You could accomplish many more things. BUT, I dont see how you would be resting you brain since it would have to be very much concious to interact and take control of the dream. You could even wake up and feel like you had no sleep at all.

Wow, that could have some very bad consequences if there was no way to stop lucid dreams every night....scary. You would be stuck in a confused state no knowing when you were alseep in a dream or awake. I should make a movie about this.....

Glok
02-03-04, 04:15
... You could even wake up and feel like you had no sleep at all.

Wow, that could have some very bad consequences if there was no way to stop lucid dreams every night....scary. You would be stuck in a confused state no knowing when you were alseep in a dream or awake. I should make a movie about this..... Stop making fun of my disease. I have lucid dreams every single night, and they often masquerade as reality. I often wonder in these dreams, because I am perfectly conscious, whether in fact they are real... it is a tough decision every time... you would think I would have learned by now. Sometimes I wake up horrified at what has happened for much of the morning, only to realize later that based on the events in the day so far, it can't possibly be real.

You people wishing for lucid dreams have no idea what you are wishing for. :(

StrongSad
02-03-04, 04:29
Having lucid dreams and insomnia are two very different things. It sucks that you have both, but perhaps the lucid dreams are a result of the insomnia (most likely they are).

And I am not making fun of your condition....

Shadow Dancer
02-03-04, 04:33
Is the lucid dream thing for real?

I remember a couple of years ago when I had a dream I was being mugged in the street. I then realized that I was dreaming. It was odd, to know you're dreaming while dreaming. Very odd. Then I flew up into the sky and shot the mugger with lightning. I swear to you, this is the truth. And i did it because I knew it was a dream.

But then again, what if me "thinking" that I know it was a dream, was just actually part of the dream?

MortuusLupus
02-03-04, 05:08
I dreamed I was inhabiting the body of Ernest P. Warrel, and I was riding around on a riding lawnmower and those aliens from halflife with two legs who spat acid at you were running around eating people and replacing them with mindless zombies and I couldn't shoot them, I had to hit them with the lawnmower but they kept dodging me. Made it hard to hit them. Then I fell off the lawnmower and tried to shoot a zombie guy but I had no bullets.

Marx
02-03-04, 05:14
Originally posted by MortuusLupus
I dreamed I was inhabiting the body of Ernest P. Warrel, and I was riding around on a riding lawnmower and those aliens from halflife with two legs who spat acid at you were running around eating people and replacing them with mindless zombies and I couldn't shoot them, I had to hit them with the lawnmower but they kept dodging me. Made it hard to hit them. Then I fell off the lawnmower and tried to shoot a zombie guy but I had no bullets.

http://dirtynuke.net/ernest-goes-to-jail-c.jpg

OH SHI....

suler
02-03-04, 05:58
Count backwards from 1000.

StrongSad
02-03-04, 06:13
Oh, its very real shadow. I have researched to topic a good bit and am thinking about going into the study as a profession.

Shujin
02-03-04, 07:23
this will give u sweet dreams
http://www.yobunny.co.uk/~rage-ferno/misc/mjs_and_the_monkehs!.jpg

jernau
02-03-04, 07:28
I can sympathise with all those who say their sleep patterns cause them problems. While I was at uni I actually took part in some tests they were doing at the medical school. After a few weeks I was basically told I was a freak and they would have to disregard all my data.

As I've got older some aspects have normalised (I would now have to go out of my way to go 100+ hours without sleep) and the others I've learnt to live with.

Tbh none of it ever really got to me that much though. The only real annoyances are fitting into a "9 to 5" cycle and that sometimes I don't see the people I'm living with for days at a time. The second one has it's upsides sometimes though.

I've taken sleep medication a total of 5 or 6 times in my life and only because I had a very good reason to shock my system into line.

Shujin
02-03-04, 07:49
some weird reason my sleep habits are really messed up atm i can goto bed at 9pm if i wanted to but wouldnt wake up till about 5pm the next day ;P

has happend alot lately, >;/ has ruined completely good day's off

sanityislost
02-03-04, 13:37
i sleep about 2 hours a day caffine pills are my friend (I HATE COFFEE....itsssss evvvvvvvil) once did this thing where i wanted to see how long i could stay awake for on those buggers lasted a week got bored and went to bed lol

Glok
02-03-04, 19:52
And I am not making fun of your condition.... Sorry, my post was meant as silly indignation. I guess subtleties don't translate well across the net. No worries. :)
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Is the lucid dream thing for real?
But then again, what if me "thinking" that I know it was a dream, was just actually part of the dream? Quite real, let me assure you. Sometimes in the lucid dreams I get entire worlds are fully realized. Such strange things can happen it is mindboggling, but somehow I can always make sense of it. If things don't go my way, I can usually force a change in the basic reality of the dream. It's actually quite neat applying all those strange metaphysical questions you have IRL in a dream. Unusual events abound.

Actually, the hardest part of a lucid dream is trying not to become fully conscious of the dream, otherwise you almost invariably simply wake up. Kinda annoying for the really good ones.

MrBiggles
02-03-04, 21:59
Lucid dreams usually rock for me. About 50% of the time I can stop and say "hey I'm dreaming", which usually is followed by "that means I can do her...or her....or her if I want to".

When I was a kid, I could control my dreams so much that I'd realize I was dreaming, then in my dream I'd close my eyes, which would wake me up in real life, then in real life I'd immediately put myself back to sleep, and end up back in the dream I had just left. Was really handy for getting away from the bad guys. I'd wake myself up when the dream got to scary, and calm myself down, then put myself back into the dream to take control of the situation.

Nowdays it's usually just realizing I'm in the dream though.

BTW, lots of the sleeping pills can cause lucid dreaming. I went through an insomnia phase a year ago and researched all the different pills they put me through. Still not sure what brought the insomnia on, but I think it was stress from unemployment/quitting cigs/quitting weed all at the same time. That was a hellish 5 months though.

StrongSad
02-03-04, 22:16
Biggles did you ever sleep in your dream? :wtf:

Sleep is facinating isnt it!!

BTW, I wish I could control my dreams like that..but I dont think I have had a dream in well over 3 months. :mad: Well, one that I remember at least ;)

Shujin
02-03-04, 23:17
Originally posted by Shujin
some weird reason my sleep habits are really messed up atm i can goto bed at 9pm if i wanted to but wouldnt wake up till about 5pm the next day ;P

has happend alot lately, >;/ has ruined completely good day's off and its happend again, went to bed last night about 1 maybe 2am, woke up at 4 pm