PDA

View Full Version : Quick fix to the "pk problem"

Psycho Killa
26-02-04, 21:24
Since many people are against people ganking so to speak and I myself dont find as much pleasure in an unfair fight the only way to fix this is to get this..... Give them more oppurtunities for fun pvp alternatives to ganking people in the back while they hunt.

Events) We need more events pvp orientated events are awesome in two ways.

1) pvpers love it get some good quaility action
2) It encourages roleplay, comrodary throughout peoples factions, and a real hatred for your enemy which I think its 100 percent neccesary for roleplay or fun in any game is to really get involved.

Neofrag) Forget 2 stupid places to go in the least traveled through zones (I mean through not zoning in 10 seconds and zoning out the way you came in :rolleyes: ).

1)Make it accesable from your apartment. Either way you "synch" into the map so I would think this is 100 percent doable.

2)Fix the bugs for crying out loud

3)Add new maps maybe different modes of play. Outpost recreation perhaps for practice?

Now I personaly think the community should make there own content though this is really hard.

I could throw an event and I will get 20 to 30 people to show up.

Throw the tag gm under my name and that 20 to 30 turns into 70 to 100.

So if the gms are unable or unwilling to give us alot more and semi frequent pvp related or hell any related events we should get together and do it on our own.

Comments or additional ideas for keeping the pvp crowd busy?

Psyco Groupie
26-02-04, 21:27
From apartment is easy enough cos you would just point you NF thigner in your room to the nf deck(s)

Outpost Zone / surrounding area would rock, sorta NF-Teamplay

wow great ideas!

Strych9
26-02-04, 21:34
I think the PvP crowd would become more skilled and stay entertained if they had a reason to fight their own kind.

Putting an incentive on doing that would decrease the number of newbie/lowbie kills and thus decrease LE dependency and useage.

While I do NOT advocate some sort of in game scoreboard necessarily, I wouldnt mind seeing some sort of rating or something that PvPers can strive for.

You get +1 to every kill you do. -10 for every kill of someone that is more than X levels below you. So newbs can even attack other newbs. Maybe have it with better rewards for killing factional enemies and bigger penalties for killing same faction newbs.

People with high scores get some sort of perk- better drops when killed, monetary rewards for player kills paid out by the faction. Maybe if you get to a certain point you get a factional title, like Champion or something.

While I like all of PK's ideas above, I would like to see some way to encourage EVERYONE to PvP while discouraging people from killing runners much lower in rank than they are.

I seriously think that (not exactly what I suggest, but the idea behind it) would result in more PvP and less LE use.

Psycho Killa
26-02-04, 21:42
I think a bount hunter/ red soullight system would be the best scoring way possible.

1) Make being a red soullight user not impossiblem, make it so they drop 1 item with no safe slot, get gunned down by cops and doy guards, (they dont want criminals either), tracked by npcd. Now if you think thats not an acceptable punishment for "evil" people then your just plain not being reasonable. Possibly ban them from using genereps except for certain ones so its not impossible.

2) Implement a bounty hunter system that rewards people for hunting down these criminals. The more innocent players you kill the higher your reward so it will be a thril to see who can stay at the top of the most wanted list though when you get hunted down your cash gets reset.

So everyone wins if you ask me.

1) Innocent people who get ganked can add a reward ontop of the automatic one to ensure justice will be served.

2) Criminals are viable and the people who like to gank will become criminals rather then abusing the system to pk anyone they want and go idle for 30 minutes. So get this By reducing penalties you actualy INCREASE the punishment since noone is stupid enough to use a rare when you drop five items but they will if they drop 1 and have no safe slot.

3) "legitimate" pvpers can become bounty hunters and have something to do with themselves now gives an actualy use for the city merc faction.

Strych9
26-02-04, 21:47
That works for me. But thats a separate type of system than what I am looking for.

I want something to discourage the capped players from ganking newbs, even if the newb is in an enemy faction (thus the red SL in your suggestion doesnt come in to play).

A bounty hunter system is needed for criminals along with the changes you suggest... but I want something to encourage the career PvPers to attack others at their own skill level.

Fewer ganked newbs = fewer people that run to the LE for protection.

Scikar
26-02-04, 23:28
Originally posted by Strych9
That works for me. But thats a separate type of system than what I am looking for.

I want something to discourage the capped players from ganking newbs, even if the newb is in an enemy faction (thus the red SL in your suggestion doesnt come in to play).

A bounty hunter system is needed for criminals along with the changes you suggest... but I want something to encourage the career PvPers to attack others at their own skill level.

Fewer ganked newbs = fewer people that run to the LE for protection.

I think that is mostly covered by the system actually. A newb is most likely to be found in a sewer or cellar, which is a hunting zone and therefore his killer will lose SL for killing him. When the newb isn't in a sewer and is just wandering around the city maybe, then he's just as likely to get killed by a guard as he is by a high level player.

Also there would need to be a system to deal with the scenario of a /10 PPU casting damage boost on people - they shouldn't lose SL for killing that PPU as a result.

Additionally, there would need to be a more visible representation of it on the hud. The skill rank display currently only appears when you are within 20m or so of another player. If that person turns out to be a high level player, he has all this time to shoot you while you run up just to check out his rank. Suppose you get sniped, you turn around and see the muzzle flash of a sniper in the distance on a hill. You assume he's shooting you, the severe dent in your HP suggests a Silent Hunter. If you close the gap before firing he will either stealth and run away or kill you, so you pull out a laser cannon and shoot back. He dies in one shot because it turns out he was /20 and his /65 spy friend was actually the one shooting you. I don't really fancy being penalised in this situation very much.

Finally, there is the issue of raids. If I, as a TG, raid MB, I don't have time to check everybody's ranks before shooting them. Where possible I avoid killing low level enemies, but in some cases on a raid you simply don't have that luxury. If there are 20 CM in the base all attacking me and I shoot some AoE into them, I don't think it's then reasonable for me to lose SL because one of them happened to be /20. If you discourage raids then that's a severe blow to PvP, raids are pretty much the closest we get to RP based PvP outside of events.

On the whole, I don't think it's practical or worthwhile to develop such a system. There would be too many holes in it and it would restrict high level PvP as much as it would ganking newbs.

EDIT: Besides, that's exactly what the LE is for. If you are completely new to the game, with little knowledge of skill setups, resists, weapons, and the skills needed to PvP in NC and therefore a helpless target against high level enemies, and without a clan to protect you, that's exactly what the LE was designed to cope with. It's expected and accepted that a completely new player will want to use the LE chip, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone to disagree with that. There are only two reasons to take out your LE early on, either to join a clan, in which case that clan has a responsibility to protect you, or to level with a PPU, which in the vast majority of cases means you intend to powerlevel, which means you are aiming for high level PvP anyway and shouldn't be upset about getting killed.

Mighty Max
26-02-04, 23:41
Fewer ganked newbs = fewer people that run to the LE for protection. Allthough this is prooven to be right, i'd like to point out once again, that some ppl wear the LE to not participate in ANY PvP action.

As the most know, im an LE player. Yet i have a complete acct of runners that arent LE'd (all pure-tradeskillers) I have been ganked a lot with em, and i dont care, i go get my corpse and carry on on my business.

The prob is then coming in. Since you do no fight back you get harrassed where they can. You log out to take a break from those guys, you look on the forum, and what is there?

Your playstyle is made down. If i'd hear to all this, im a 90 year old who wouldnt stand clicking the mouse becaouse i'd get a heard attack. But that aint true.

I dont fight because i dont do this. Its my moral.

Thanks for reading downto here.