PDA

View Full Version : State of the MMORPGs

Sundiver
26-02-04, 11:59
I would like you all to read this very interesting article on SWG, which I am playing now. I quit Neocron recently and doubt I will come back, but this is not about that. This article could as well have been about Neocron as SWG, notice the similarities in both titles (people power levling from beta, gettting bored quickly, screaming for more content and so on).

http://www.stratics.com/content/mmogweekly/mmog/vol58.php

This is by no means my way to say SWG>anything ok? I know this community fairly well by now, quite a few triggerhappy people in here.

Just read it, and you'll see what I mean (I hope). I am close to quitting playing MMORPG games alltogether, as I am losing hope in their future unless there are some really HUGE changes in game mechanics on the horizon. All MMORPG games work in the same ways. Do something to achieve something.

Everquest seems to be the only MMORPG that has been this successful for such a long time. I have never played it and will probably never do it, just pointing it out.

This will be my last message here. Please do not flame this thread, but read the article. It made me think, and so should you.

To the NC team: You did a marvellous job with Neocron, and I can only wish you the best of luck.

Sundiver out

Sefran
26-02-04, 12:11
Good point , see where its going 2 :(

phunqe
26-02-04, 12:25
Some who start big, end up small.
Some who start small, end up big.

Come on KK, let's make this happen :)

Hayato
26-02-04, 12:59
IMO nEOCRON IS NOT JUST ABOUT LVLING OR PVP ITS ABOUT GOOD VS EVIL!!

wait aint that what swg about too :|

im lost

Mattimeo
26-02-04, 13:11
SOE has learned alot this year I think, with the release of not one, but TWO games that have more or less failed for the same reason - Boring. I hope certain other companies that may be listening right now realize what retains players best. CONTENT.

not that I really expect certain developers to listen to someone like me about what makes a good MMORPG.

deac
26-02-04, 13:34
well neither swg or neocron have great content but thank god neocron have kick ass pvp.

Btw im beta testing linage2 and omfg... just the same as any other mmo.

Ppl lvl like crazy.... its mainly empty....almost no pvp.... and its click and pray >.<

ooh and ppl are soo god damn nice... hello mr elf could you spare me some weapons? Yes mr dark elf my arch enemy here you go, enjoy!
*both runs off to happy bunneh land*

RayBob
26-02-04, 17:19
I was visiting my mom a few weeks ago and she mentioned that her soap opera was ending. Ending? My family is Spanish so, naturally, she watches Spanish soap operas. Unlike American soap operas that go on for 20+ years, the Spanish soap operas run for 4-6 months and then end.

Now think about an MMORPG like Planetside. The battles rage on and on over 7 continents and none of it means anything. The OP fights in Neocron mean nothing and we make no impact at all on the world. Sure, they are fun but how many months can you have the same fight at the same OP?

Now imagine an MMORPG that has a goal, the fruition of which ends the game. Imagine two empires fighting a grand war across multiple continents. Resources are scattered throughout the game world and each empire strives to acquire and allocate them to the most efficient use. The battles rage on for 6 months or 3 years, depending on the military, economic, and strategic decisions the empires make. One side eventually wins and the game ends. The game dynamically recreates the world and resource locations and it begins again. Sign me up. :cool:

Ray

Jest
26-02-04, 17:27
Good article. Its definitely a major failing of any MMO. NC is actually fairly good for casual gamers in _most_ aspects of the game. Its main failing imo is the lack of RP outlets and storyline events. Still sticking with it though. Shame this thread will prolly be closed down since you said your leaving.