PDA

View Full Version : Melee tank - one of the few non-cookie-cutter classes

g0rt
26-02-04, 10:30
Ive been working on my melee tank after having him sit unused for a few months. I took the time to get him a herc and actually set him up properly, and now im working on capping his str.

In my opinion, the melee tank is one of hte FEW things in this game that are still open to customization and non-cookie cutter setups.

In my case, my melee tank is fun as hell to play...he can:

1) cast a nearly capped tl3 heal and deflector at 49/min (almost capped freq)

2) use all melee weapons to the fullest of thier efficiency

3) has enough transport that i can harvest WB's for at least an hour before having to dump all the vehicle/weapon/etc parts in the gogo.

4) has 150 thereabouts in each resist, well over 100 poison, and is still fast as bloody hell.

5) even tho hes fast i dont need to use all his dex so i can drive a hovertech to get around

6) hack at TL50 so i can hack killed warbots

Using appropriate armors, my melee tank can EASILY solo all fire mobs, WB's, and even the chaos caves and worm tunnels. (worm tunnels takes awhile, but doable :p)

On top of all this, even with all these fun-to-have pvm/etc type things, a melee tank is AMAZING for pvp. With about 140 agility and 50 athletics hes fast as all hell and SO tough to hit, and the devils grace does a TON of dmg in pvp. Its a hell of a time to use, and ive found myself beating many capped chars of all types as a /57 melee tank with 80 base con.

I encourage everyone to take the time to try out a melee tank, especially with the upcoming patch thats gonna make them even more fun. Finally, this type of class is TRUELY fun to play, whereas its been on kinda the back burner for a LONG TIME.

Shadow Dancer
26-02-04, 10:32
I'd play melee tanks, but they are so incredibly ugly. :(

~Drav~
26-02-04, 10:36
505% and 52 a min is the best damage youll get on a TL3 heal and deflector as a tank. 3 mst, 12 ppw and rest in PPU, ofcourse you can only case basic1 heal, deflector and support1

Melee tank can also drive a reveler, and take about 90 in repair, thats with 100+ in agility, smack 5 into recycle, get a glove and you can recycle psi 3's from the warbot junk you get from your hacking =)

Capped force resist, more TRA then youll ever need :lol: 178 melee currently caps a DG, But I chose the lowtech POB and took repair so I can repair my own armour and weapons as they degrade far too fucking fast :( Tho imo POB > DG in PVP

With the changes to the TL's i recon about 200 MC should cap out a DG

Melee is ownage and doesent actually need the boost thats coming up . . . *shrug*
I play a melee tank as my main char btw :)

phunqe
26-02-04, 10:43
Yeah, melee tanks are quite nice those days.

You only need around 70-80 (with imps) in force resist as well, all your armour and imps will cover the rest up to over 200 in FRC and PRC.

Sefran
26-02-04, 10:48
What troubles me tho, they are getting a high lvl freezer and YET they can move so fucking fast u almost cant hit them...o,0. So why shouldnt a other class like a spy or tank get his freezer restored then...can only see much troubling coming of this...

Rade
26-02-04, 10:49
melee tanks kicks ass. nothing more to it really.

**edit: wow i dont think ive been logged on to nc this early in the
morning before (without doing an all-nighter that is).. 258ppl
online... total on all servers :eek:

g0rt
26-02-04, 10:53
Originally posted by Sefran
What troubles me tho, they are getting a high lvl freezer and YET they can move so fucking fast u almost cant hit them...o,0. So why shouldnt a other class like a spy or tank get his freezer restored then...can only see much troubling coming of this...

Thier one vaulnerability is freeze on themselves.

Being frozen they are HIGHLY suseptable to being killed by a range-based char....aka ANYONE else but them.

Rade
26-02-04, 10:57
Ive never had a problem when Ive gotten frozen as melee tank
really. Theres antishock drugs, they work nowadays. And most of
the time the combat is up close and personal anyways and then
it doesnt really matter if you are frozen as melee tank.

~Drav~
26-02-04, 11:00
Originally posted by Rade

The problem with the drugs is that parashock is still spammable, and para is still at the strength where it completely fucks you over, they really need to sort it still, though the problem with the drugs that if you take 2 or 3 quickly after eachother due to paraspam you end up worse then being shocked because your running in random directions looking at the snow channel . . . :(

g0rt
26-02-04, 11:02

Ran into a hybrid the other day, he kicked my ass good. Went through all my antishocks to the point I was drug hazed to hell, and he was still basically untouched because blessed heal > pob.

:p

But other then freeze omg melee is the win. Everyhting has to have ONE downside tho.

FatDogg
26-02-04, 11:14
Nooo, don't play melee, I want to be the only one, if you play melee, use a libby too... or something... I want to be the only melee tank....

Original monk
26-02-04, 11:31
so all them bandwagons should reroll there freshly rerolled droner into a melleetank ??

:D

g0rt
26-02-04, 11:34
Originally posted by Original monk
so all them bandwagons should reroll there freshly rerolled droner into a melleetank ??

:D

If ur calling me a bandwagon jumper, I have:

Rifle PE
Pistol PE
Heavy PE
Rifle SPY
Pistol SPY
Constructor/Droner SPY
Barter/Repairer Spy
PPU Monk
APU Monk
Hybrid Monk
Heavy Tank
Melee Tank

And ive had them all for quite some time, so i don't jump on any bandwagon, I play whatever is:

A) needed most at any certain situation

B) whatever I fancy playing at any certain time.

So :p too you

Original monk
26-02-04, 11:47
Originally posted by g0rt
If ur calling me a bandwagon jumper, I have:

im not caling you a bandwagon person ... i know wich chars ya have ...

im calling bandwagoners all persons that yust rerolled to a droner yust because everyone does (cause drones been boosted, made viable or whatever) ...

the smiley in my post was because i can imagine all those freshly new droners rerol there char to a melleetank cause that seems to be the most popular new char now :)

the fact that i have to explain my small joke in 3 lines afterwords makes me think that im yust not funny lol, daamn,daamn my weird sense of humour :/

anyways enjoy the melleetank, i been a mellee/HC hybrid a long time ago and i really enjoyed mellee + the fact that ya dont need alot of extra points in mellee to make one thanx to the batqueenstuff :)

but i still prefer full HC now :)

enjoy playing

L0KI
26-02-04, 12:09
Originally posted by ~Drav~
505% and 52 a min is the best damage youll get on a TL3 heal and deflector as a tank.

507% has been achieved.

Oh yeah, and melee tanks WILL be the bandwagon class next patch.

Rare baseball bat? who WON'T wanna melee tank? :rolleyes:

~Drav~
26-02-04, 12:12
Originally posted by L0KI
507% has been achieved.

Oh yeah, and melee tanks WILL be the bandwagon class next patch.

Rare baseball bat? who WON'T wanna melee tank? :rolleyes:

O_o

I was testin it yesterday, at 12 ppw and 32 PPU its the same as 13 PPW and 31 PPU, further either way and it starts dropping in damage :confused:

QuantumDelta
26-02-04, 12:14
Originally posted by ~Drav~
O_o

I was testin it yesterday, at 12 ppw and 32 PPU its the same as 13 PPW and 31 PPU, further either way and it starts dropping in damage :confused: That makes zero logical sense, since it would only even begin, to start dropping in damage after 50PPU.

Someone I trust corrected me on MSN Apparently that setup seems to be the best you can get more or less ... anymore isn't possible even with Pure PPU and no PPW he ended up with 466% damage o_O

Shadow Dancer
26-02-04, 12:35
omg g0rt stop bandwagon jumping. :p

Anyways, I don't buy the whole 'freeze is the death of a meleer' BS. apus need speed, Freezes fucks them up big time with their low defense/health. Pistol pes have low range and rely on speed, freeze fucks them up. Tanks are already(supposedly) slow with cannons out, freeze fucks them up. blah blah blah blah

Freeze fucks EVERYONE up, case closed. If you don't take a drug, you're toast. You will die if you are in a major fight and try to wait out the 30 seconds of freeze. So everyone(barring ppus) need to use drugs. And drugs work very fast.

So :o @ the freezer excuse

Strych9
26-02-04, 13:12
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Anyways, I don't buy the whole 'freeze is the death of a meleer' BS. apus need speed, Freezes fucks them up big time with their low defense/health. Pistol pes have low range and rely on speed, freeze fucks them up. Tanks are already(supposedly) slow with cannons out, freeze fucks them up. blah blah blah blah

Freeze fucks EVERYONE up, case closed. If you don't take a drug, you're toast. You will die if you are in a major fight and try to wait out the 30 seconds of freeze. So everyone(barring ppus) need to use drugs. And drugs work very fast.
Sorry to be Capn Obvious here SD, but freeze hurts melee more because melee has zero range weapons. Sure APUs are hurt- but an APU doesnt have to be 10m away to use his holy lighning. Sure a <insert class/variant name here> is hurt, but <insert same class/variant name here> is able to attack to some degree from a decent range.

Melee must be in your face to have a chance of hitting you. No one else must.

And this is exacerbated by the current "running from melee = melee doesnt hit" bug. But it would still hold true even when that bug is fixed.

Rade
26-02-04, 13:12
uhm QD you do know that the return you get in weapon stats etc
from skills isnt linnear right?

QuantumDelta
26-02-04, 13:16
uhm QD you do know that the return you get in weapon stats etc
from skills isnt linnear right? Yes, but I didn't expect it to overcome such a weighted skill formula as PSI Damage o_O

Rade
26-02-04, 13:28
Well, apparently it does.. If I was doing epics on my melee tank
Id test it but I dont want to dent the psi exp as it is now :/ Maybe
on test server when the loms are fixed.

Shadow Dancer
26-02-04, 13:34
Originally posted by Strych9
Sorry to be Capn Obvious here SD, but freeze hurts melee more because melee has zero range weapons. Sure APUs are hurt- but an APU doesnt have to be 10m away to use his holy lighning. Sure a <insert class/variant name here> is hurt, but <insert same class/variant name here> is able to attack to some degree from a decent range.

Yea and? Melee tanks have extraordinary defense. They can last longer while being frozen. Not to mention the mouse sensitivity issue which allows people to easily dodge fire from someone who's been frozen. I still it hurts all classes equally more or less, aside from the PPU. duh :p

ezza
26-02-04, 14:54
yeah melees are great, i was harder to kill and pk'd more with my melee tank than i did with my heavy tank.

they are fun to play, but i got bored of melee tbh and am back with the heavy tankzor, though knowing me ill proberbly be back as melee in a months time, think im the only tank to have fully lommed from heavy to melee about ooo 10 times :lol:

Strych9
26-02-04, 15:27
Yea and? Melee tanks have extraordinary defense. They can last longer while being frozen. Not to mention the mouse sensitivity issue which allows people to easily dodge fire from someone who's been frozen. I still it hurts all classes equally more or less, aside from the PPU. duh :p LOL. Even if they can dodge fire, point remains that melee have ZERO chance to hit an opponent at range, while every other class has A chance. Therefore you can hardly say its equal.

HC tanks have extraordinary defense too, but if you freeze them so they cant move they can still rattle off shots at you. They STILL have a way of fighting back. If they ever remove the slow mouse movement from the freezer stuff then the difference will be even more dramatic.

If you can keep a melee tank at range, they have NO way of EVER harming you. Parashock allows you to keep them at a distance.

El_MUERkO
26-02-04, 15:38
I havent used my melee tank on Saturn in a while and I'm tempted to dust him off but I am a lazy git and leveling CON takes sooooo long :/

My 5 slot DG does pwn thou :D

Original monk
26-02-04, 16:14
Originally posted by Strych9
LOL. Even if they can dodge fire, point remains that melee have ZERO chance to hit an opponent at range

they should implement the option that you can trow a knife or melleeweapon :)

like when you trow a knife in someones head in SOF and SOF2.

Strych9
26-02-04, 16:20
Originally posted by Original monk
they should implement the option that you can trow a knife or melleeweapon :)

like when you trow a knife in someones head in SOF and SOF2. Hehe. That would be sweet. :D

g0rt
26-02-04, 20:20
omg g0rt stop bandwagon jumping. :p

So :o @ the freezer excuse

I don't follow. Melee is the only class that NEEDS to get RIGHT UP IN THE FACE of the enemy. So what if my APU gets frozen ill stand there and blast the guy anyway. Makes no difference to me if i can move or not, in a sense.

When my melee tank gets frozen and the guy just fires at me while backing off at the same time im rendered completely useless. Thats the only melee problem and I don't think any other class gets rendered USELESS by a paralysation.