PDA

View Full Version : Johnny 5's need range nerf

Lanigav
25-02-04, 22:08
I've been fairly tolerant of these things in the past because I've already had the GR's in that area now, but I'm on a new character trying to do the Biotech epic up there, and its pretty much impossible to get to where I need to go thanks to those things.

The fact that they can kill me at such extreme range is what pisses me off the most. No other mob can hit you at such extreme range, and its highly unfair for something to shoot you that you can't even see yourself.

Invertigo
25-02-04, 22:10
all mobs do, they have like infinite range...

punch one of those psi mobs that shoot fire lances then run 2 miles away...it will still hit you.

MjukisDjur
25-02-04, 22:10
dont you need to be quite close to make them go into whack mode? Once they are pissed I can agree that the range is pretty damn ridiculous

Lanigav
25-02-04, 22:14
These things seem to have agro range equal to their attack range. If you had to be close to them to piss them off, then it'd just be fine.

Mumblyfish
25-02-04, 22:17
I can avoid them just fine. If you trigger their aggro, start ducking behind sand dunes. If you can't run, then kill them (it really isn't that hard). If you're getting chased by more than two of them, then you're just being clumsy.

Ascension
25-02-04, 22:18
screw nerfing them NERF THE SPIDERBOTS:o

Archeus
25-02-04, 22:21
Actually they have two aggro ranges.

1. Drawing a weapon or casting spells seems to draw them closer.

2. They have long range scanning looking forwards.

3. If one sees you it calls in others.

3. They have short range scanning behind or to sides. Something like this.

long range
\ /
\ /
(short) o (short)
(short)

Once I figured out thier scanning patterns I found them easy to avoid. (except at zone points)

zii
25-02-04, 22:47
Good, now we know their scanning range we don't need to nerf them.
End of thread.

BramTops
25-02-04, 23:02
I found that one of the most amusing parts of the biotech epic (and any epic i've done). Running with my mid-level spy there was just plain... fun!

It takes some skill and stuff to do it.... finally SOMETHING you can't do with your eyes closed in NC and you're complaining?

Lanigav
25-02-04, 23:07
Well, maybe if I could see the damn things when they shoot me, then that'd be fine. But these things still attack you even if they're out of visible range.

Shadow Dancer
25-02-04, 23:11
Originally posted by Lanigav
Well, maybe if I could see the damn things when they shoot me, then that'd be fine. But these things still attack you even if they're out of visible range.

Actually with force fog off you can see them before they shoot you. :p

Whitestuff
25-02-04, 23:11
First of all, nah they don't need nerfing. What we need is improved netcode to reduce lag so that you are not fighting one with full health, then you fall down dead instantly. I can take (when it is not lagging) a good 10 shots from a DoY on my tank w/o loosing combat efficiency (10 individual shots, they come in bursts of 3). I can run and hide to heal. If it lags, I die, no matter what. Really annoying.

Part two: If you just simply can't get there by running (which I couldn't) hire a driver to take you there in an APC (BTW the lag thing applies to vehicles too, learned that when my driver lost an APC to zoning, driving fine, then bam 25% armor left WTF?!?!)

Part three: They need to have some nice little code inserted that stops the fecking things from camping zone lines in droves of about 20. Something that can detect the proximity of the zone line, then say to itself "Duh, turn around". Oh, that would stop the mobs from camping behind the zone line too. Nothing worse than zoning only to fall down dead, look around and see, "Oh, he's behind the zone line where only a ranged attack can reach.... nice being a melee tank now....."

/rank_off

Q`alooaith
25-02-04, 23:33
They follow people, so people who run away over the zone line's and get away pull mob's away from where they spawn and toward's the zoneline..

Try finding some cover, them bot's have a limited fire angle so can't hit ya if you hide in the right spots..

Whitestuff
25-02-04, 23:41
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
They follow people, so people who run away over the zone line's and get away pull mob's away from where they spawn and toward's the zoneline..

Try finding some cover, them bot's have a limited fire angle so can't hit ya if you hide in the right spots..

I know the above. What I suggested was a way to fix it. You could incprporate the idea of "threat" into the zone line bug. Once the "threat" zones, the bot should turn around and leave, not hang out to gank the next guy who comes along with no idea that it is there.

And now that I explained the above, you might see that I don't zone out to heal, I go hide. Zoning out to heal is nonsense if you want to go back and fight the thing cause with the problems we have now, its just instant death.

I see ur point, they camp the lines b/c ppl zone to get away, but if we fix the camping problem it would be better for everyone: combatants and people trying to get somewhere for an epic, only to zone w/o knowing that there is a nest of 20 DoY bots at the other zone line.....

Q`alooaith
25-02-04, 23:46
Or they could fix it by letting mob's despawn from one zone and spawn into the next zone over if their target flee's that direction...

Now that would be cool, and realy stop zone hoppers.

Cricket_Eater
25-02-04, 23:47
I've been killed by droms 4 times this week. Please nerf the droms, thank you.

Whitestuff
25-02-04, 23:49
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
Or they could fix it by letting mob's despawn from one zone and spawn into the next zone over if their target flee's that direction...

Now that would be cool, and realy stop zone hoppers.

Harder to code I would bet. But that makes sense.

Al3X
25-02-04, 23:54
i dont mind 1 of them chasing me... but i DO mind that when i zone to a random near-doy-zone i *suddenly* stand infront of ~9 of these @#$@#$@ and they are all like: "ONOZ ITS ALEX! HUMP HIS LEGS BEFORE HE CAN RUN AWAY!" :rolleyes:

lullysing
25-02-04, 23:59
I just find that hacking the belts while i'm literally body surfing in johnny 5s pretty hilarious myself. Now, who wants a 5 slotted holy heal?

Omnituens
26-02-04, 01:10
i did that on venus when they added anti-city could go near DoY bots; belts galore :D