PDA

View Full Version : Monks DEX

Cruzbroker
24-02-04, 17:52
Should PSI Monks gain DEX in teams?

You gain STR and CON when you get hit, so they can't count on "not gaining exp in team".
Spy Psi is another I would like to be team exp (very slow tho => missions faster, always) another issue.

Also there's no other way to cap than lom this, do that and lom back.

ezza
24-02-04, 17:54
yeah i think they should get some dex from teaming, its stupid that people have to resort to poking in a moveon to get the dex

ZoomZoom
24-02-04, 17:55
i think monks should gain dex from tanks and pes because if u are a ppu u lvl with a apu for psi and a spy for int so ppus dont really wanna help pes and tanks lvl.

Jest
24-02-04, 17:59
For the love of all that is good in this world YES!!!!!

.Cyl0n
24-02-04, 18:01
yes... since retail start my monk was dex capped ONCE for a few weeks till i lomed my uber droning skills.. now since months im too lazy to lvl it... lol

so im all for it =)

.cy

Glok
24-02-04, 18:03
Originally posted by ezza
yeah i think they should get some dex from teaming, its stupid that people have to resort to poking in a moveon to get the dex I poked a exp psi 3 about 500 times to get to 33 dex. When I saw I need 50k xp (about 200 more pokes) to get to 35, I said fuck it. I'll get bored sometime and finish it off though.

KimmyG
24-02-04, 18:06
Dex on monks should move like PSI for PE's

Lifewaster
24-02-04, 18:07
Dex is easy peasy compared to INT ........wanna fix something fix int.

L3m0n
Originally posted by KimmyG
Dex on monks should move like PSI for PE's
yep :D

El_MUERkO
It would be nce, my dex is gimped on my monk so I have to lom hack and spend all day poking a move on :(

Foofur
24-02-04, 18:18
I think my monk capped dex before she capped PSI. Its not impossible merely a challenge, and well, if you dont feel like it, don't bother, not that you'll be a totally useless monk with like 10-20 dex.

Opar
24-02-04, 18:24
Yahs

KimmyG
24-02-04, 18:52
Originally posted by Foofur
I think my monk capped dex before she capped PSI. Its not impossible merely a challenge, and well, if you dont feel like it, don't bother, not that you'll be a totally useless monk with like 10-20 dex.

Its not a challendge its nothing more than a time sink and most cap dex before PSI.

Glok
24-02-04, 18:55
The problem is not that a monk can't cap dex, but that there is no legitimate method to do so for a combat monk. Legitimate meaning not involving LoM use. Every single way to do it ends with an LoM session.

Psyco Groupie
24-02-04, 18:55
I find tanks give me nice int leveling on a ppu ...

but yeah .. some sorta dex gain would be nice cos 35 levels is alot

Elric
24-02-04, 18:57
Originally posted by Glok
The problem is not that a monk can't cap dex, but that there is no legitimate method to do so for a combat monk. Legitimate meaning not involving LoM use. Every single way to do it ends with an LoM session.

Go cap STR on a spy :p

Same problems.

Original monk
24-02-04, 19:00
monkdex by teaming ???

are you ... CRAZY ??

i dont have to think twice over this: YES YES YES lol

then i dont have to do 10000 researchmissions anymore :P

DestructionUK
24-02-04, 19:14
i think all classes should gain from teams,
tanks - strength
spys - int
pe's - dex
psi - ........ psi

Judge
24-02-04, 19:14
Yes they should. As should tanks/spies get psi through team.

IMO, nothing should HAVE to be leveled via missions/constructing. Either through teams or solo.

Glok
24-02-04, 19:20
Originally posted by DestructionUK
i think all classes should gain from teams,
tanks - strength
spys - int
pe's - dex
psi - ........ psi They already do... what do you mean?

Team XP: 10% of total xp earned by the team added thus:
Tanks - Str and Con
Spies - Int and Dex
PEs - Distibuted accross all skills, but not evenly.
Monks - Psi and Int

Some people have delusions about the way team xp works, but that is how it works. I would find the original post, but it was over a year ago, and I have no clue how to go about finding it.

Lanigav
24-02-04, 19:25
YES

OpTi
24-02-04, 19:28
huh? i capped con then str on my spys in that order just from hunting.

it's spy psi thats a pain in the ass but not as bad as monks dex which is just plain stupid

Glok
24-02-04, 19:50
Ok I found the notes (http://www.neocron.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=174) for the patch that introduced the team xp feature. There is another patch a couple months later that changed tank xp from str and dex (which was a bug) to str and con. I recall another patch that changed the bonus from 25% to 10%, but I can't find the bugger.

Hope that dispels the teaming myths that float around here. o_O

Glok
24-02-04, 20:22
I just read the rest of that patch. It's the one that turned the game upside-down. Well, one of many, but by far the most drastic.

Free use LoMs were introduced and started the skill-hopping frenzy that eventually got LoMs nerfed all to hell, and monks went from nearly balanced (there were uber monks, but not the UBER monks from after that patch) to nearly impossible to balance. w00t. :o

KuifJe
24-02-04, 21:35
Originally posted by Glok
They already do... what do you mean?

Team XP: 10% of total xp earned by the team added thus:
Tanks - Str and Con
Spies - Int and Dex
PEs - Distibuted accross all skills, but not evenly.
Monks - Psi and Int

Some people have delusions about the way team xp works, but that is how it works. I would find the original post, but it was over a year ago, and I have no clue how to go about finding it.

I teamed my spy with 2 monks for about 3 hours.

At the start I was 550 points from PSI 10 on the spy, 3 hours later I was still 550 points away from PSI 10. Maybe the patchnotes say it works like this, I havent noticed it tho.

Glok
24-02-04, 21:38
Originally posted by KuifJe
I teamed my spy with 2 monks for about 3 hours.

At the start I was 550 points from PSI 10 on the spy, 3 hours later I was still 550 points away from PSI 10. Maybe the patchnotes say it works like this, I havent noticed it tho. What? Spies get Int and Dex from teams. Why would you think you get Psi?

OK. I'll explain it better. All the XP everyone gets in all stats from mobbing is pooled up. Then 10% of that is taken and distributed among the team in their main stats. Teaming with psis does nothing to help your psi, unless you are a monk or PE. Make sense?

edit: This also means that say if you are doing chaos caves and you are a PPU, you will get the same XP based on the damage everyone in the team is doing, whether they are apus or AoE tanks. Team int xp for monks is based on damage done to the mobs, NOT what the class doing the damage is gaining xp for. So just because APU get int xp for causing damage normally doesn't mean they are better team members, than an AoE tank, if the tank can cause similar damage.

KuifJe
24-02-04, 21:44
I misread you're post then my bad :)

Still think that teaming with monks should give PSI xp tho, tanks give STR etc.

This way the "impossible stats" on classes would at least level without 2 days of running missions. We all got our secondary stat which is more then enuff of a timesink.

Glok
24-02-04, 21:45
Still think that teaming with monks should give PSI xp tho, tanks give STR etc.

This way the "impossible stats" on classes would at least level without 2 days of running missions. We all got our secondary stat which is more then enuff of a timesink. Yes it would be nice if it worked like that. :)

Cruzbroker
25-02-04, 17:09
I have a /22 PPU, haven't done any missions, teaming with a friend tank. ONLY WITH HIM, we 2 alone.
Stats now:
44 INT
3 STR (I get hit SOMETIMES)
9 CON (Same as above)
2 DEX
54 PSI

2 DEX, The very base lvl.
The tank is /30 because he gets INT, STR, CON and DEX..

Yes, I'm going to poke my friends Resistor..

Strych9
25-02-04, 17:41
Originally posted by Cruzbroker
I have a /22 PPU, haven't done any missions, teaming with a friend tank. ONLY WITH HIM, we 2 alone.
Stats now:
44 INT
3 STR (I get hit SOMETIMES)
9 CON (Same as above)
2 DEX
54 PSI

2 DEX, The very base lvl.
The tank is /30 because he gets INT, STR, CON and DEX..

Yes, I'm going to poke my friends Resistor.. I am a /19 PPU, and my stats are

16 Int
16 Str
16 Con
16 Dex
16 Psi

I whacked on some poisonous plants for a few minutes with my starter knife, then ran research missions for an hour. Once I actually start teaming I know the Int and Psi will take off, so I am not worried about that... but its nice having the Str, Con, and Dex that high already.

Will spend another hour doing more res missions, and by that time Str will be capped, and Dex real close, and then I will stop and start behaving like a PPU. :)

Glok
25-02-04, 19:08
Well I went ahead and finished capping dex. Abused my poor innocent exp psi controller 3 some more. I won't say how I have spent the points tho... but a hint: I want to be able to stay out in the middle of nowhere for an indefinite amount of time. :)

Rade
25-02-04, 19:12
If I meet one more person that believes that grouping with
certain classes gives certain experience Im gonna scream.

Disturbed021
25-02-04, 19:25
I think everyone who voted yes is just being lazy.

Monks gaining Dex exp for being teamed? Why just cause you don't want to do anything else other than team and fight? Cst, poking and recycle all gives dex not to mention missions. It's really not that hard to level dex and would be insanely easy if you gained exp while teamed.

Spies should gain PSI exp for being teamed? Heh, made me laugh:lol: WTF would they? Only logical way to gain PSI exp for a spy would be for healing others in a team, but that would be easily exploitable, so no. Just do the damn missions.

sanityislost
25-02-04, 19:30
YES....but up the int gain also :P

KuifJe
25-02-04, 19:40
Originally posted by Disturbed021
I think everyone who voted yes is just being lazy.

Monks gaining Dex exp for being teamed? Why just cause you don't want to do anything else other than team and fight? Cst, poking and recycle all gives dex not to mention missions. It's really not that hard to level dex and would be insanely easy if you gained exp while teamed.

Spies should gain PSI exp for being teamed? Heh, made me laugh:lol: WTF would they? Only logical way to gain PSI exp for a spy would be for healing others in a team, but that would be easily exploitable, so no. Just do the damn missions.

o_O

I dont know exactly how many points 35 lvls is, but that's an amount of missions I don't even wanna think about.

Cst, poke, recycle...
Only usefull one there is recycle and if I need to cap DEX with recycle I'll probably cap INT quicker then DEX. Other options need lomming later on to correct points.

I've played a monk for about 1.5 years now, and cba'd to do a zillion missions, coz my game time is limited and I wanna have fun in the game. He's still @ 25 DEX. Ow, and he recycled boosters from day one AND did aggie missions/clopses missions.

Rade
25-02-04, 19:41
Monks shouldnt get dex exp from teaming, there should be other
viable means for them to get it. Imo you should never get exp
that isnt tied to what you are doing.

Glok
25-02-04, 19:43
Well, there was no LoMing for me, I indended to have poke from the start.

Disturbed021
25-02-04, 19:48

I've played a monk for about 1.5 years now, and cba'd to do a zillion missions, coz my game time is limited and I wanna have fun in the game. He's still @ 25 DEX. Ow, and he recycled boosters from day one AND did aggie missions/clopses missions.

Lmao, I have recycled and cst lots of boosters and my dex is at 33 and Int is 84 and I've only had this monk for maybe 6 months.
Only reason I haven't capped dex is cause I really don't care about those last 2 levels, oh wow an extra 3 points in agl.

If anything up the Int gain, I capped PSI as an APU then lomed to PPU and capped again and am only at 84 int.

Jest
25-02-04, 19:50
Ok seriously, lets look at this.
Tanks do missions to get Int and Psi. Caps are 20 and 10.
Spies do missions to get Psi. Cap is 20. (Dont give me that Con and Str bs, Ive leveled two spies and both times I capped Str and Con before any thing else without doing missions).
PEs need no missions. Imo I think team xp should be cut a bit on the PE and perhaps Con leveling increased.
Psi monks do missions for Dex. Cap is 35.

The difference between missions for 20 and 35 is friggin huge. You cant say "Buhu I had to do missions to cap my Psi so stop whining." There is just no comparison. The fact that I have to sit in my apartment for hours, poking my PP chip over and over gain, getting 700 xp is ridiculous. I shouldnt have to do it. Im not lazy, I like to PLAY the game. I dont play Neocron as a chore. "Well I guess I gotta log on and spend the next 4 hours poking myself." Sorry friends, but I dont play the game for that.

Increase dex gain with teams. Nuff said.

Glok
25-02-04, 19:56
It's not that bad if you do it in sessions Jest. I did it for about 2 hours a day spread over 4 days. Just a little relax time, and watching the trade spam. :)

edit: And I think the diff between 20 and 35 is 20k xp and 253k xp, respectively. It's a fucking big difference, so you ppl saying missions can shove it.

Disturbed021
25-02-04, 19:58
Originally posted by Jest

The difference between missions for 20 and 35 is friggin huge. You cant say "Buhu I had to do missions to cap my Psi so stop whining." There is just no comparison. The fact that I have to sit in my apartment for hours, poking my PP chip over and over gain, getting 700 xp is ridiculous. I shouldnt have to do it. Im not lazy, I like to PLAY the game. I dont play Neocron as a chore. "Well I guess I gotta log on and spend the next 4 hours poking myself." Sorry friends, but I dont play the game for that.

Increase dex gain with teams. Nuff said.

Sorry Jest but um NO:p Who says Poking urself is the only way to gain dex exp?

You can build stuff, just pop on a cst glove and go to an op or pop in a couple of cst chips.
You can recycle...this is by far the most useful dex exp gaining skill a monk can have so they can clone their PSI boosters. I combined the 2. Built a bunch of wp 10's and cloned PSI boosters with them and got from 20-33 dex in like 2 days. It's really not that hard....btw I would never say to just run missions to cap dex after level 20 there is no point in doing missions..

g0rt
25-02-04, 20:00
if you vote no to this, sign yourself up for some therapy because you got some screws loose

what cannot be gained in teams? (excluding con/str which always goes up just from getting hit)

- tank int
- tank psi
- monk dex
- spy psi

tank int: 20
tank psi: 10
spy psi: 20

and that tank int can be capped with melee so you dont even have to do missions. the only thing you *must* do missions for is spy and tank psi, which are 10 and 20....an epic or two and a few missions and ur capped without even thinkign about it.

monk dex: 35

not viable with missions/epics.. you gotta do it some half assed way, like take poking and go in and out with a moveon a million times which is more boring then anything i can possible imagine. we play this game to have fun not be bored. or you could get a tank to antivehicle a rhino and repair it, which is alot faster then poking, but requires two players to do...making it a pain in the ass

fix monk dex gains

t0tt3
26-02-04, 02:08
Why would a freaking tank need team on INT when they cap that skill the first thing they do if you dont do missions, if you do then its more like:

psi - int - str/dex - con O_o

Glok
26-02-04, 02:10
tott3... way to totally misread the post.... o_O

t0tt3
26-02-04, 02:18
No =P I see some whines about tanks int.....
I think its pure bullshit they lvl faster INT then my APU... :rolleyes:

I am all for a team dex on monks, why should I lom INT to poke and back to my other skills just to cap dex? "lvl 32 or so"

I mean it takes longer to lom and gain back all INT I lost then to do missions or build but why do I need to take up tradeskill to cap? You should have a option to cap in tradeskill or pure combat not make a freaking hyb slasher when you want to be a combat killer
o_O :(

Glok
26-02-04, 02:43
Originally posted by t0tt3
No =P I see some whines about tanks int.....
I think its pure bullshit they lvl faster INT then my APU... :rolleyes:You can't possibly be serious...

btw, I voted yes, it's stupid that a pure combat monk can't level dex unless he/she does 1000 'hard' missions. (yes, that is how many missions it would take at 250 xp per mission.)

Sleawer
26-02-04, 03:23
hmm I can't remember doing missions to cap INT on my HC tank, it just leveled alone I believe.

I did missions to cap psi on both tank and spies... my monk saved his arse tho, as he got dex xp from teams when everyone got experience depending with what class were teamed.

Btw I voted yes also, way too hassle to xp up a skill manually to lvl 35... God I dont want to think the pain of getting 35 psi levels with my PE that way.

Also is not like the second main skill for monks is easy to lvl up... getting xp from teams in dex could be a way to compensate.

jernau
26-02-04, 05:05
Originally posted by ZoomZoom
i think monks should gain dex from tanks and pes because if u are a ppu u lvl with a apu for psi and a spy for int so ppus dont really wanna help pes and tanks lvl.

What a load of nonsense.

It makes no difference at all who you level with. XP is XP. The way it divides up on your character is entirely determined by your class and has nothing to do with who you are teamed with.

/edit - It seems glok already covered this. I just get so sick of people talking arse about team XP in-game I jumped in before reading the rest of the thread.

/edit 2 - On topic : Personally I don't have a problem with how it is atm and think it would make no sense to make an exception to the rules just for monks. My PPU capped his DEX on ERs, poking and recycling without me even noticing it. My APU I powerlevelled and did the MOVEON thing which took about 2-3 hours while I was watching a movie and reading a book.
I can see the point that people make about lvl35 being so much more XP than lvl20 but they are forgetting the practical gains are also very different. Spies need all 20 PSI levels to drug to shelter and Tanks need their INT for WEP and PSU. Monks don't actually need that much DEX unless they use pistols, in which case they can level from them.
I want monk INT gain boosted a lot more than their DEX.

Sleawer
26-02-04, 13:44
I disagree. DEX is very important for my monk, specially since PA has -20 in AGL.

I dont even want to consider recycling as a viable way to xp up DEX, my monk has enought to recycle his boosters and I barely notice any gain from it.

Construction, poking... they work, but is like forcing tanks to spec research for INT, or spies to spec APU to gain PSI... and even then, 35 levels is quite a big difference.

And as I have said earlier, I can't remember having to do missions to lvl up INT, I think H-C weapons raise INT xp.

Rade
26-02-04, 13:47
I remember working on my PEs PSI with missions during the early
retail, and then the stupid team exp came and suddenly all PEs
could use shelter :mad:

I dont really like the team exp, you should only get exp from what
you are doing, maybe teaming could enhance that exp or
something. But all classes should have viable means to get all
exp types. Basicly you shouldnt just sit in a cave and look at a
tank shooting some ae cannon thingie until you are capped, you
should do a shitload of different things to level up your stats.

Sleawer
26-02-04, 13:57
That makes more sense, however it shoudn't be as boring as sitting somewhere poking yourself or making med-kits while reading a book or watching T.V.

Many people said they have a limited play time, and their idea of fun obviously is not that.

Perhaps if missions were more amusing and rewarding, or you could do more things to XP our stats...

SigmaDraconis
26-02-04, 13:58
all other classes ( minus PE ) have to do missions ot lvl PSI.. so the PSI's can do missions for their dex !!! lazy bastards ( tho ill admit it is a little tougher having 35 levels of it hehe )

Candaman
26-02-04, 14:07
Originally posted by Jest

There was ur mistake Jest. U used PPR that gives 700xp where as if u used MOVEON u get about 1.9k per poke i capped dex in just under two days on jupi

deac
26-02-04, 14:27
hrhr i maxed out dex on 2 monks and lets say it wasnt soo fun.. sunrise built drones... a few hundred of them :\ my other poked...

boring as hell BUT a monk dont need to capp dex but if you want to then suffer :P

jernau
26-02-04, 16:04
Originally posted by Candaman
There was ur mistake Jest. U used PPR that gives 700xp where as if u used MOVEON u get about 1.9k per poke i capped dex in just under two days on jupi

It takes almost 3x as long to put a MOVEON in/out so time-wise it's the same.

You use less gel using a MOVEON and there's less actual poking so it is a better idea though.

funkeymonkey
26-02-04, 17:31
I have been putting off lvling my dex for ages because im going to have to lom some int to do it. My int is currently at 84 base with every point in psi use.

The tl for the move on is 81. Ive been looking around on the net for the stats of the machina implant glove but cant find it. How much extra on implant does it give you?

Since I can get +16 on imp from a spy booster 3 along with the +imp from the glove, hopefully i wont loose too many int lvls.

Glok
26-02-04, 17:33
The imp machina glove gives +15 poke and +5 int, with a 60 int req.

funkeymonkey
26-02-04, 17:38
Cheers Glok. Means ive only gotta pop 10 pills.

Cruzbroker
26-02-04, 19:35
Tanks get INT on their own (yes they do).

I'm suprised how many "No" I see in the poll.

20 level is 28.000 (?)
35 level is 355.000 (?)

OVER TEN (10) times the amount what Spy has to do..

Load_HeavyLoad
26-02-04, 19:39
IMHO spies should get a tiny bit of psi from teams like how monks get str aswell as the other things they get

Glok
26-02-04, 19:42
Monks don't get str from teams, they get it from taking force/pierce damage.