PDA

View Full Version : Drug Flash!

Glok
24-02-04, 17:24
The resist potions, anti-drugs, and skill drugs have way too much flash to even bother with currently and don't last long enough. I can see that amount of flash for the mainstat drugs like redflash dest forte, but the cheap drug? I was testing out using that +15 psi use drug the other day (can't remember the name) and after 2 or 3 you get drugflashed, even if you pop another, and it only lasts a couple minutes. Same with the resist and anti drugs. Basically these drugs are completely useless.

I just wanted to bitch, but I'll add a poll too. :)

Elric
24-02-04, 17:29
druig flash is too harsh on the shitty subskill drugs, making them not worth the extra points they give, and anti- drugs are way way way to essential to have such harsh effects.

Glok
24-02-04, 17:36
lol who voted increase? That was the joke option. :(

ezza
24-02-04, 17:44
Originally posted by Glok
lol who voted increase? That was the joke option. :( you put the option in and people will vote for it(i voted to decrease all drug flash btw)

Duder
24-02-04, 17:44
Id like to see the drugs last longer, 3,5 minutes isnt very long and such harsh drug haze.

msdong
24-02-04, 17:57
imo drug abuse is way to easy but i vote leave them as they are.
drug abuse shoud have real side effects and not that little movement thing nobody care about ...

Glok
24-02-04, 17:58
Originally posted by ezza
you put the option in and people will vote for itYeah and it's multiple choice, so I bet there are gimps that will vote for all of the options. :rolleyes:

Was the most efficient way to make the poll though. And I bet there are legitimate reasons people have (however misguided) for increasing drug flash. I just wish they would post.
Originally posted by msdong
drug abuse shoud have real side effects and not that little movement thing nobody care about ... LOL. That 'little movement thing' is sure death in almost every situation.

msdong
24-02-04, 18:01
Originally posted by Glok
... That 'little movement thing' is sure death in almost every situation.
if you only use drugs in PvP then i could reply you done something wrong if the enemy is not killed if you drug wears off :D

El_MUERkO
24-02-04, 18:11
Anything that gives a bonus must have effects so I'm not to worried about skill or subskill boosters as they are but my major gripe is with anti-drugs.

The biggest offender of the lot is the anti para which is gives loads of drug flash and just removes one problem (moving slowly) and replaces it with another (fuzzy screen and reduced control).

I dont want it so you can keep chomping on thses drugs but the penalties for they're use should be reduced.

Gulinborsti
24-02-04, 18:23
Originally posted by msdong
imo drug abuse is way to easy but i vote leave them as they are.
drug abuse shoud have real side effects and not that little movement thing nobody care about ...
Now as YOU mentioned it, I'll continue the thought ... :D

I'd like to see the drug flash length slightly reduced, the movement thingy is all ok for me, only that ugly blur should be reduced a bit, too.

BUT a char using drugs should get a little bit SI and a smaaaall exp loss in the affected skills. Just like when using LoMs, only way more decent...

Duder
24-02-04, 18:28
Originally posted by Gulinborsti

BUT a char using drugs should get a little bit SI and a smaaaall exp loss in the affected skills. Just like when using LoMs, only way more decent...

How many will use the drugs then? Theres only a small minority that use drugs, now you want the drugs to become obsolete?

So you want drug flash, SI, exp loss, challanged movement, and the benefits are an extra few points and a few negatives, and a little boost in skill numbers, for only 3,5,10 minutes?

Hey sounds like a good idea, where do i sign up for this shit idea?

Duder
24-02-04, 18:43
Now my idea for drug use/abuse is that the first 10 times you use a drug, you get the full effects, but after a while, say 15 min without using the same drugs, youll gain some bad drug haze and awkard movement. After the 10th drug youd need 2 of the same drugs to achive the same effect as 1, after the 20th you need 3 drugs to achive the same effect, etc etc, up to 5 drugs maximum. And if you dont keep chewing these pills youll gain huge drug haze for a neocron week. If you do survive a neocron week without taking another drug, youll have minor drug haze, then the 3rd neocron week without the drug youll be able to just walk fine, but the ammount of drugs you need to gain the same effects of the drug you just used you just took would be the same at 5 drugs.

Also Neocron week is the ingame week.

So in the beginning youre using the drug to get yourself stronger, faster, etc etc, but in the end youll be using it just to stabilize yourself, to feel normal.

Gulinborsti
24-02-04, 18:44
Well, maybe I did't make my point clear:

It's mostly the ugly screen blur I disgust. I'd take 2-5% SI, depending on the drugs , how many of them simultaneously taken and the time since the last drug was taken, combined with a small exp loss over time of being drugged.

Ehyuko
24-02-04, 19:32
Since you can remove drugflash by relogging, what's the point of having drugflash?

Max Jefferson
24-02-04, 21:37
Originally posted by Duder
Now my idea for drug use/abuse is that the first 10 times you use a drug, you get the full effects, but after a while, say 15 min without using the same drugs, youll gain some bad drug haze and awkard movement. After the 10th drug youd need 2 of the same drugs to achive the same effect as 1, after the 20th you need 3 drugs to achive the same effect, etc etc, up to 5 drugs maximum. And if you dont keep chewing these pills youll gain huge drug haze for a neocron week. If you do survive a neocron week without taking another drug, youll have minor drug haze, then the 3rd neocron week without the drug youll be able to just walk fine, but the ammount of drugs you need to gain the same effects of the drug you just used you just took would be the same at 5 drugs.

Also Neocron week is the ingame week.

So in the beginning youre using the drug to get yourself stronger, faster, etc etc, but in the end youll be using it just to stabilize yourself, to feel normal. I've though this should be done for a long time now... but my posts keep getting ignored :c

The only difference in my thinking is that I think instead of building up a permament resistance to the drugs, ie. having to take 5 to get the effect of one, it should be a temporary resistance, and should fade along with the drug-flash-o-doom you will eventually build up. I know a permament resistance would be more realistic, but if it were implemented, drugs would basically become useless after that first stint of usage.

I also think that no matter how bad your drug flash is, taking more drugs should nullify it, allowing you to move and see properly again. Again, this isn't very realistic, but would make it very very tempting for a runner to pop "just one more" to get rid of that pesky crash, all the while building up a bigger and bigger addiction (resistance to drugs, bigger potential crash after stopping, etc.).

I think this would really add to the cyberpunk atmosphere. What with rampant use and addiction to performance enhancing drugs and stims, as well of complete techno-dependancy (most mid-level characters I know have all their imp slots filled :)).

Duder
24-02-04, 21:59
Hmm yes, maybe the drug resistance should lower down aswell, but it would maybe take less drugs then before to gain the resistance, such as after 5 drugs youd need 2 of the same drugs to achieve the same boost then the first time you used it.

But i still think drugs should last longer then 3,5 minutes.

Anyways the drugs ingame are now are made to just scare the customer away with its 3 minutes duration and long drug haze and stupid movement.

Glok
24-02-04, 22:07
Originally posted by Max Jefferson
The only difference in my thinking is that I think instead of building up a permament resistance to the drugs, ie. having to take 5 to get the effect of one, it should be a temporary resistance, and should fade along with the drug-flash-o-doom you will eventually build up. I know a permament resistance would be more realistic, but if it were implemented, drugs would basically become useless after that first stint of usage.

I also think that no matter how bad your drug flash is, taking more drugs should nullify it, allowing you to move and see properly again. Again, this isn't very realistic, but would make it very very tempting for a runner to pop "just one more" to get rid of that pesky crash, all the while building up a bigger and bigger addiction (resistance to drugs, bigger potential crash after stopping, etc.).

I think this would really add to the cyberpunk atmosphere. What with rampant use and addiction to performance enhancing drugs and stims, as well of complete techno-dependancy (most mid-level characters I know have all their imp slots filled :)).I really like that idea. Especially the part I bolded. But one small change, how about if rather than resistance to the drugs, the drug lasted shorter and shorter times. So you would start out taking say, dest forte, and at first it would last 5 minutes, but would last less and less as you kept popping it. Eventually you would have to pop one every minute or less. This would naturally limit how long you could keep popping the drug, eventually it would get ridiculous and you would have to find a safe place to come down.

Duder
24-02-04, 22:09
5 minutes is already a ridicioulously low duration hehehheh.

Glok
24-02-04, 22:10
All the better to get you to buy more... ;)

Max Jefferson
24-02-04, 22:41
But one small change, how about if rather than resistance to the drugs, the drug lasted shorter and shorter times. So you would start out taking say, dest forte, and at first it would last 5 minutes, but would last less and less as you kept popping it. Eventually you would have to pop one every minute or less. This would naturally limit how long you could keep popping the drug, eventually it would get ridiculous and you would have to find a safe place to come down. I like it, better then having to take more then one. But I think it needs to be balanced so that the effect doesn't shrink down to less then a minute for a fairly long time, it should be possible to keep a fairly constant addiction going with the odd break to let your resistance wane a little, before popping another.

It might also be interesting if when you took more then 1 of the same pill at once, you could get more then the usual bonus provided by the drug, but not the full effect. So if you took 3 of a certain drug, you might get say 2 x the stat bonus. This would allow people to overdose often and become real hardcore addicts as opposed to just the casual user, with the consequence of building up a real showstopper of a crash pretty quickly.

Edit: I think drugs could provide a helpful moneysink if implemented properly, the benefits need to be tempting, and the addiction system needs to make it easier to keep taking the drugs then to stop. And the inevitable crash that would result should be bad enough to act as somewhat of a deterent to starting a habit.

Spoon
25-02-04, 00:30
Originally posted by Ehyuko
Since you can remove drugflash by relogging, what's the point of having drugflash?

For some reason, that doesn't work for me.......aarrrggghhh...

And yeah, the drugs could use a rework......

Glok
25-02-04, 00:41
Originally posted by Max Jefferson
Edit: I think drugs could provide a helpful moneysink if implemented properly, the benefits need to be tempting, and the addiction system needs to make it easier to keep taking the drugs then to stop. And the inevitable crash that would result should be bad enough to act as somewhat of a deterent to starting a habit. What if the flash was severe for an hour real time say, but there was a minor flash that lasts for DAYS real time. That would make anyone seriously think before they started a habit, and the already addicted would really have to want to quit.

Damn, we are getting almost real world here. We better quit while we're ahead. ;)

Max Jefferson
25-02-04, 00:53
Damn, we are getting almost real world here. We better quit while we're ahead. Yeah, lets just hope KK notice this thread... although, the word "nerf" doesn't appear in the thread title, so I guess there isn't much chance of that :(

I do honestly think the drug system needs to be thoroughly reworked if its ever going to become an integral part of Neocron's gameplay. Let us hope :)

Capt. Rik
25-02-04, 01:28
As nobody else has said it:

"Drugs are bad m'kay!"

I posted leave as is. I've just started using some drugs to allow me to use my doomie. I'm happy witht he penalty this incurs.