PDA

View Full Version : running more stable : Solution?

Elric
22-02-04, 19:36
I think i may have found a way to let NC run more stable on PC's!!

I was messing about with taskmanager with NC minimized when i remembered that NC was all processor based. Yesterday i was having regular FRE's (well, maybe once or twice an hour).

Today, I thought I'd try switching Client.exe (nc's entry in the taskmanager) to High Priority,

Im just after playing for about 4 hours and not one single fre. not even when quitting.

Can a few more people test this theory out and let me know if it works for anyone else?

Maybe i just got lucky... we shall see i guess.

(run NC, minimize it, right click on taskbar, select Taskmanager, Right click Client.exe, change priority level to High or Realtime)

Judge
22-02-04, 19:38
Sounds like a good idea.... I'll try it out. :)

Elric
22-02-04, 21:40
so...

I been out a couple of hours. any opinions yet? Does it work or was i just lucky?

blumblumshub
22-02-04, 21:43
I'll give that a go tonight :)
Blum

Chaplin
22-02-04, 21:46
Is it enough to do it once or does one have to change that setting with every launch?

2ply
22-02-04, 21:47
It also increased my FPS/ping by alot where it matters most. Fighting.

I was in PP fighting, and 2 tanks with devs were running around trying to kill each other. Now, dev used to lag me to hell and back. And 2 of them was a sign to get outta there cause I know I'd lag and die.

Now, I got a good 20 fps in PP1 fighting, where as I used to get a nice 5-10 FPS. My ping went from 250-300 to 150ish.

Works great.

I think you have to do it every launch Chaplin :/

Elric
22-02-04, 21:48
Probably with every launch. theres probably a way to set it to run high priority on every launch, but I dunno how.

Someone google it, I cant be arsed :p

:edit:

Excellent news 2Ply :D I hope its not just us 2 then ;)

I thought it had an effect on my FPS too, but i wasnt sure, didnt want to say in case i was just being too optomistic :D

Eddie
22-02-04, 21:52
I tried that once Elric.. and it meant screwing up the bulit-in priorities.. meaning I couldn't use my mouse to look for some reason..

There is a way to make NC launch with high priority.. through the use of a little app called "process.exe"

Check it out at: http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/processutil/processutil.htm

Pretty damn useful as it does all Task Manager's stuff from the Command Line meaning automation :D

Eddie

Elric
22-02-04, 21:54
hmmm, nice one eddie,

so as I read it, you could replace the NC shortcut with a batch file to startup NC and change the process priority in one shortcut click.

Bit complex for me to be messing with and I cant for the life of me remember how to do batch files (Its been 4 years since i last used DOS O_o) but a good find none the less ;)

Eddie
22-02-04, 21:58
Originally posted by Elric
hmmm, nice one eddie,

so as I read it, you could replace the NC shortcut with a batch file to startup NC and change the process priority in one shortcut click.

Bit complex for me to be messing with and I cant for the life of me remember how to do batch files (Its been 4 years since i last used DOS O_o) but a good find none the less ;)

Hrm.. IIRC you can also use "start.exe" to launch a application with a set priority, as this little utility can only change the priority of existing processes.

Anyway, a batch file would only be as simple as:

@ECHO OFF
C:\Neocron\client.exe
C:\Windows\Process.exe -p client.exe high

Now save that somewhere. And make a shortcut to it, which launches that batch file, minimized (so it doesn't get in your way).

Eddie

Elric
22-02-04, 22:18
Just talked to Kyle ingame.

He tried this process thingy but unfortunately it seemed to increase his ping quite badly. This may be related to he fact he plays with a 56k modem. If anyone else has this problem and is on 56k, let us know.

Cruzbroker
22-02-04, 22:48
Tested.. Great :p

http://koti.mbnet.fi/cerberus/kuvat/neocron/priority.jpg

That's a pic from plaza 2 with bunch of people. 3rd person looking at the restaurant from the ramp in the middle 'walk'.

Without priority the fps jumping 16-24 (average 20)
With priority the fps steady 23-24. (well, average 23)

The setting was "High". Altho it messed up my mouse in windows, but I could alt-tab in neocron.. there all working very well. When quiting NC the priority gets off ofcourse so no harm done..

Glok
22-02-04, 22:50
Just talked to Kyle ingame.

He tried this process thingy but unfortunately it seemed to increase his ping quite badly. This may be related to he fact he plays with a 56k modem. If anyone else has this problem and is on 56k, let us know. If it's a cheap modem, it uses CPU cycles for almost all it's functions.

Elric
22-02-04, 22:53
you probably hit the nail on the head. If thats the case, then I imagine an External modem wouldnt have this issue.

Excellent news Cruz, thanks for input :)

ZoneVortex
22-02-04, 22:55
hmmm

any update on if you've FREd yet?

i guess i'll give it a shot later

Cruzbroker
22-02-04, 22:56
" . . or perhaps your Administrator has?"

Hahah.. Must be a funny man this Command line process utility maker..

btw. what's the difference between realtime and others?

Eddie
22-02-04, 23:35
Originally posted by Cruzbroker
" . . or perhaps your Administrator has?"

Hahah.. Must be a funny man this Command line process utility maker..

btw. what's the difference between realtime and others?

Err.. real time is bad. Very bad.

Only important windows things run in realtime. Like disk-caching services and stuff (I remember the SDK saying) and making a game realtime would disrupt all of that.. amounting to utter buggery.

Don't do it :P

Eddie

Quede
22-02-04, 23:52
I tried it and FRE'd to the desktop eventually as the norm.

I also didnt see any performance increases.

MSI KT4 Ultra, AMD XP2200+, 512MB, GeForce4 ti4200,
768K SDSL.

Eddie, make sure to send me an email since I'll be gone from
the game when my account expires. Just in case you need
anymore simple utilities written :P

Barak
23-02-04, 00:51
lol i've tred it system locked up rebooted and client.exe the launcher and a log thing corrupted.. yippie =/

BiTeMe
23-02-04, 01:11
Just tried it.
Will test tomorrow properly as today I have been crashing like it was beta all over again.
I did notice the citycom is 50 times faster running NC in high priority. Hope this fixes my FRE's as I have lost count the amount of them I have had today (over 20).

Hopfully KK can test this and add it as an option on the neocron launcher :)

greploco
23-02-04, 02:06
I bumped it up one notch. from "normal" to "above normal"

I don't know about FREs or other crashes yet

but the mouse movements and responses on the screen are definately smoother

I don't know how to measure fps, but that is an apparant increase for sure

Elric
23-02-04, 02:44
mixed results so far, mostly good i guess

Sorry for causing you problems with me suggestion Barak.

hope it works out well, ffor now im off to bed. As far as my game went it definately improved FRE frequency and slight stabalisation of fps. rater than the usual 12 - 62 in plaza, it was staying around a nice even 25-30. Ping was same as always (62) so nothing there for me.

only had 2 FRE's tonight compared to about 10 last night. Although it seemed to get worse on saturn, It only FRE'd there, not on pluto...

odd...

gn for now, I'll keep an eye on this tommorow too.

Check your fps by hitting ALT-F Grep, It'll give you a wee FPS, ping and bandwidth display in the bottom corner.

Tratos
23-02-04, 02:46
Well i tried this the game looked smoother and my FPS was slightly higher but my mouse was jolty as hell, i think this is becuase im using cordless but still made the game run a bit better pity i cant enjoy it cos of mouse :(

~Tratos

greploco
23-02-04, 06:32
I'll tell you what though --- if you increase the priority of client.exe you can still alt-tab out of nc but you can't do anything else. with the new priority all your systems attention is diverted to nc

masterguyver
23-02-04, 10:18
how can i do this with winme

Elric
23-02-04, 12:34
I'm not sure about winME or any other operating systems.

However as far as I know there is a taskmanager system in all the windows OS's, or recent ones at least.

If right clicking on you taskbar doesnt bring up the option, try hittin CTRL-ALT-DEL, on win2000 it brings up an options box and taskmanager is one of the clickies, I'd guess it might be the same.

zii
23-02-04, 20:55
I get error message:

File Error!
File system Check failed: could not load file table.

My .bat file reads as:
@ECHO OFF
"C:\Program Files\Neocron\client.exe"
pause

the pause is there in case I get other cmd error msgs.

Zii.

Originally posted by Eddie
Hrm.. IIRC you can also use "start.exe" to launch a application with a set priority, as this little utility can only change the priority of existing processes.

Anyway, a batch file would only be as simple as:

@ECHO OFF
C:\Neocron\client.exe

Now save that somewhere. And make a shortcut to it, which launches that batch file, minimized (so it doesn't get in your way).

Eddie

zii
23-02-04, 21:02
tried replacing C:\Program files with C:\PROGRA~1\Neocron\client.exe but that still gives the same message. Oddly, if I call client.exe directly from the cmd prompt there is no problem. Problem has to be related to the .bar file.

Grumpy.

Zii.

Cruzbroker
23-02-04, 21:05
Why put it in Program files in the first place? :) Try simpler line without spaces..
Though I can't remember any of those commands, but I'm going to set it up..

edit: read error.

Psyco Groupie
23-02-04, 21:15
Interesting ... unless my memory fails me i'll try this next time im home

Elric
23-02-04, 21:31
THanks for trying Zii.

Shame, guess its not as easy as we thought then :rolleyes:

When is anything in NC ever as easy as it seems eh? :p

Cruzbroker
23-02-04, 22:41
What about if you have 2 Client.exe running? :eek:
You should change it to NEOCRON.exe and they shoudl change it to samurize.exe... :wtf:

Vryce
24-02-04, 00:13
I think i may have found a way to let NC run more stable on PC's!!

Cool, Elric; gonna have to try this.

btw, I saw that fps and ping screen that Cruzbroker put up. Is this a command in-game, and how do you bring it up ?

StryfeX
24-02-04, 01:27
Originally posted by Vryce
Cool, Elric; gonna have to try this.

btw, I saw that fps and ping screen that Cruzbroker put up. Is this a command in-game, and how do you bring it up ? Use ALT-F.

On another note, there's a way to add a command when you right click an executable to start it as high priority, but it's fairly complicated. I am in the middle of compiling some registry files that will do this automatically for you.

--Stryfe

Nevermind, see post below.

Drake6k
24-02-04, 01:30
OMFG THANK YOU!!!!

My ping when down 10 :D and fps doesnt jump anymore. :D :D :D

Elric
24-02-04, 01:40
god damn nice one Drake :D

That sounds like an excellent idea StryfeX. Good one, like i said, that stuffs a bit out of my league so I cant really help there.

Zii, I figured out what it may have been. Probably NC has to start from the Launcher (or NC pro) for it to do some sort of quick integrity scan before launch.

If its going directly to Client.exe and not doing the scan, then maybe thats what causes the error.

Complete supposition and guesswork, but you never know.

Really really need more people to test this out. the more tests the more of an idea we can egt of whther its really a decent fix.

Also, Everyones fixated on ping and FPS :p
Tell me if yer FRE'ing any less or more !

thanks for all the input guys, Im glad i could help at least a few of you :)

StryfeX
24-02-04, 01:45
Compiling complete. You can get the zip file here (http://home.comcast.net/~cydog2001/stuff/highpriority.zip). It contains 3 files:

Start as High Priority (9x,ME).reg:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\XQSHP]
@="Start &High priority"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\XQSHP\Command]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\command.com /c start \"XQSHP\" /high \"%1\""Start as High Priority (2k).reg:
REGEDIT4

@="Start &High priority"

@="C:\\WINNT\\system32\\cmd.exe /c start \"XQSHP\" /high \"%1\""Start as High Priority (XP).reg:
REGEDIT4

@="Start &High priority"

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe /c start \"XQSHP\" /high \"%1\""You should use the one that corresponds to your OS, e.g. - Start as High Priority (2k).reg for Windows 2000, Start as High Priority (XP).reg for Windows XP (Home and Pro), and Start as High Priority (9x,ME).reg for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME.

All the registry files use the default location for the command prompt for that OS (c:\windows\command.com for Windows 9x, ME; etc.) so if you've installed your OS to a different location, I don't recommend using these until you modify them accordingly.

All credit for this goes to the excellent people at Xteq Systems (http://www.xteq.com/) for making X-Setup Pro (http://www.x-setup.net/) from which these registry files were derived.

Disclaimer: These files should cause no problems, but I am not responsible if your computer pukes on you.

--Stryfe

Elric
24-02-04, 02:39
Important note about Setting Client.exe to run in high priority.

You will not be able to alt-tab properly.

You can switch windows without any problems, but you will not be able to open any new programs or even refresh a webpage or open a new website.
When NC is running on High Priority it uses ALL of your processors resources and has a very hard time to do anything else while client.exe is still running.

For every good thing about something theres a downside eh ;)

It's probably not a good idea to have anything running in the background either. No Irc or msn messenger or winamp... For the moment (until the gfx issue fix with DoY) this can be used as no more than a workaround for stability. When the fix is in place, hopefully this will become a redundant issue.

El_MUERkO
24-02-04, 13:25
What are the diffrent levels of priority, I normally have TS & Vent running the background and I could do with putting extra CPU power into NC while keeping enought to run my voice progs.

Elric
24-02-04, 13:27
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
What are the diffrent levels of priority, I normally have TS & Vent running the background and I could do with putting extra CPU power into NC while keeping enought to run my voice progs.

Hasvent actually tried the other setttings to be honest.

Give it a shot on above normal and the other ones (just dont use realtime) while TS/Vent is running, see how it goes.

Report back if its interesting ;)

I havent actually tried running anyhting in the background, the above is a bit of guesswork going on the attempts o alt-tab and refresh webpages n stuff. I figure it would logically have an effect on anything else running in the background too.

than again, I could be completely wrong :p

Sorontar
24-02-04, 14:00
I tried this last night and didn't have a singe FRE , not even when logging off which is my usual bitch. I'll try it again tonight.

Also I had two clients running at one point and Croncom , should I have been able to do this with this change ?

Elric
24-02-04, 14:14
pass, Im not really technically minded that way. I dont really know why it works, it just does.

I had difficulty refreshing webpages n stuff when NC was running high priority so I figured that NC is using all the available CPU usage and interfering with other stuff.

To be completley honest I dont know how it would affect other stuff. I never have anything extra running or have anything extra I'd want to run in the background when gaming anyways so its not something i can really test.

If it works for ya, then its all good, if it doesnt, then it could be down to the reasons I guess at.

Cruzbroker
24-02-04, 15:11
I think it just uses more CPU power at the expense of others. So running stuff in background just effects more NC if NC is set to High. When it's normal it shares the power equally, so you wont notice so big difference as in 'High'.

*Goes to test with ventrilo on*

VetteroX
24-02-04, 15:20
Ive done it.... think it helped some but not sure yet, usually when i go to the cyclops bunker to pk newbs to bring the big prey out, i get bad fps, but itstayed above 25 now... gotta try at peek times to see how the fps go.

Strych9
24-02-04, 15:22
Anyone do this and use the arrow keys for movement?

I tried it, and my movement was sluggish. I would press the up arrow, it would wait, then I would start moving forward. I would release the key, and I would still move forward for a bit.

Elric
24-02-04, 15:23
Originally posted by VetteroX
Ive done it.... think it helped some but not sure yet, usually when i go to the cyclops bunker to pk newbs to bring the big prey out, i get bad fps, but itstayed above 25 now... gotta try at peek times to see how the fps go.

Excellent, cheers Vett :)

Do you ever run anything in the background?

oh, and how about FRE's?

deac
24-02-04, 15:25
Originally posted by Strych9
Anyone do this and use the arrow keys for movement?

I tried it, and my movement was sluggish. I would press the up arrow, it would wait, then I would start moving forward. I would release the key, and I would still move forward for a bit.

yeap i had that problem

Elric
24-02-04, 15:29
Internal 56k modem?

Apparently the standard 56k modem actually uses CPU cycles to process the information rather than all handled by the modem (as it is with externals or Network cards) and setting the CPU to "concentrate" on NC alone can cause problems with it. so, in essence, not only causing key lag, but also increasing ping etc .

If its not that, try it with Num-Lock off
other than that, Im stumped :p

solling
24-02-04, 15:58
i did it and game seemed more stable tho i could not for the life of me alt tab it made everything apart from NC run VERY VERY VERY slow
not to bad as i only wanted to play nc :P but still worth a note

Lestard
24-02-04, 16:02
have tried it and the game was running very good =)

BUT, i got several seconds delay with my TS lol .. well I have to set TS on high priotrity too, but i donno how this will effect my NC.

VetteroX
24-02-04, 16:05
no, nothing in the background... ill have to get back to u on the fres... only up cause i cant sleep, im gonna try again to sleep, then nwhen i play for a long period ill report my findings.

Strych9
24-02-04, 16:09
I have a cable modem. Numlock doesnt affect the arrow keys (not the arrows in the numpad, but the normal arrows).

The game runs fine otherwise.

I guess I can map to WASD and see if it still does it. In which case it wont matter, cause I simply cant use WASD for a fps game.

Elric
24-02-04, 16:11
cool, thanks again vett.

Dont know how it would afect things Lestard, all i can suggest is try it and let us know ;)

Indeed Solling, thats true. I for one dont really do anything else while playing NC so I wasnt to bothered by it. I had mentioned it earlier too.

I guess if youre playign and decide tio do other things too, you could just alt-tab, switch NC back to normal priority and do things again as normal. As far as i can tell the priority setting works realtime, so if you switch it , even while the application is running, the nmew effwects will take place. I guess this would be better for anyone lomming and that reads the web while waiting, just dont switch it to high.

StryfeX
24-02-04, 18:28
Just a couple of reminders to sum up the warnings/suggestions in this thread so far:

Never EVER set Client.exe to "Realtime" priority. Your computer *will* take a dump on you because the "Realtime" mode is higher than almost any other system process.
If you use a 56k WinModem (the small ones; they are only about half the size of a "regular" modem), you may notice some problems, as the modem uses the computer's CPU to process signals rather than do it onboard.
Using other programs in the background like TeamSpeak, Winamp, Ventrilo, etc. is not recommended as those programs (unless set to a higher priority than (or maybe the same as) NC) will lag to a degree, and as I've noticed with Winamp, can sound choppy, too.

--Stryfe

Judge
24-02-04, 19:13
Hmmm... I tried it out (not fighing) and I only noticed a few FPS up from before... For me I don't think its worth it.

Elric
24-02-04, 19:29
Originally posted by Judge
Hmmm... I tried it out (not fighing) and I only noticed a few FPS up from before... For me I don't think its worth it.

Fair enough, each to theyre own.

BUT

If you actually look at the origin of the thread, It seems to help reduce the number of FRE's :p Stabalising FPS and ping was just a nice little side effect. :)

Elric
24-02-04, 21:38
StryfeX, HELP!

How do i use those files you created?

Do i need to get and install the x-setup thing?

its confusing me :(

Psyco Groupie
24-02-04, 21:41
OK guys your really getting silly on modems here ...

the SIZE doesnt matter at all, a modem could be any size and still be good, nor are all good modems external.

Modems that use cpu processing are called 'software' modems for obvious reasons, you'll get better pings with a hardware modem, usually external modems are hardware but not always

Quede
24-02-04, 22:34
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
Modems that use cpu processing are called 'software' modems for obvious reasons, you'll get better pings with a hardware modem, usually external modems are hardware but not always

Can you quote me a make and model of an external modem
that would NOT be a CPU independent one?

I have not had to install any modems in quite some time and am
curious where this fact comes from.

StryfeX
24-02-04, 22:56
StryfeX, HELP!

How do i use those files you created?

Do i need to get and install the x-setup thing?

its confusing me Well, first off, no you don't have to get X-Setup, although it is a cool utility to have (*IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT*). Second, just unzip the contents of the zip file (there should be three files in total) somewhere and double-click the one that corresponds to your OS. Read the other post for more about that.

When you double click the file that corresponds to your OS, you will see a window asking if you are sure you want to import the file into your registry. Click yes. After you click yes, it may take a couple seconds max, but you will see a window pop up saying that the information was imported successfully. Now, when you right click either an application or a shortcut to an application, there should be a new menu item available: "Start High Priority".

You're done!

Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
OK guys your really getting silly on modems here ...

the SIZE doesnt matter at all, a modem could be any size and still be good, nor are all good modems external.

Modems that use cpu processing are called 'software' modems for obvious reasons, you'll get better pings with a hardware modem, usually external modems are hardware but not always While you're correct in that modems can be good or bad regardless of their size, the internal WinModems are mostly smaller than their hardware-based brethren. I was trying to make it simpler for the non-geeks out there, ok? Yeesh. :rolleyes:

--Stryfe

Judge
24-02-04, 23:05
Fair enough, each to theyre own.

BUT

If you actually look at the origin of the thread, It seems to help reduce the number of FRE's :p Stabalising FPS and ping was just a nice little side effect. :)

Hmm... I didn't have a FRE whilst I was playing... and there were a load of times when I really should have (like when I was on low health being attacked by a mob). So maybe it does work. :)

Jest
24-02-04, 23:11
It definitely added some serious fps/ping to my play, but problem was it didnt really allow me to do other stuff. Alt Tabing you can just forget about. I guess if I turned on Ventrillo first then ran NC and changed it to "Above Normal" that might be a worthwhile thing to do. :p

StryfeX
24-02-04, 23:25
Originally posted by Jest
It definitely added some serious fps/ping to my play, but problem was it didnt really allow me to do other stuff. Alt Tabing you can just forget about. I guess if I turned on Ventrillo first then ran NC and changed it to "Above Normal" that might be a worthwhile thing to do. :p Get a laptop. :p That's what I did.

Well... the laptop kinda came before this, but anyway. :p

--Stryfe

amfest
25-02-04, 00:29
any other programs that can change priority on tasks or such for win98? I'm not much a command line person >_< and I don't want to download any zip files and such so if i get hacked I can't be blamed for that ( not saying anything about your files, but then it gives them an excuse to say it's my fault for downloading something here from a user). I thought there was a program I had to do it but I guess not :( . Everyone still doing okay on their end?

Judge
25-02-04, 00:57
You have to change the priority in Task Manager, which is accessed by ctrl + alt + delete. You don't need to change it through the command promt... those were just batch files to get it to load the client.exe file then set it to top priority in one easy click. :)

amfest
25-02-04, 01:29
You have to change the priority in Task Manager, which is accessed by ctrl + alt + delete. You don't need to change it through the command promt... those were just batch files to get it to load the client.exe file then set it to top priority in one easy click.

there is no such thing in win98 1st edition :P

You see currently running apps and can end them cancel out of it or shut system down - nothing more

not sure about WinME but I know win2k has the taskmanager

HellBreaker
25-02-04, 01:40
I tryed it and everything is working fine except one very important thing,
my mouse. lol
its jumping like mad at any setting above normal.
any ideas how to fix it?

StryfeX
25-02-04, 01:42
Hmm... What's with this mouse thing... Maybe those of you who have mouse problems are running mouse software?

If you're getting mouse-lag and are using any mouse software that came with it, speak up. This could be interesting.

--Stryfe

HellBreaker
25-02-04, 01:47
Im using a Logitech HID-compliant iFeel Mouse.

System
Celeron 2Ghz
512 MB Ram
GForce Fx5200 ultra 128mb

can't think of anything else i need to say o_O

StryfeX
25-02-04, 01:59
Originally posted by HellBreaker
Im using a Logitech HID-compliant iFeel Mouse.

System
Celeron 2Ghz
512 MB Ram
GForce Fx5200 ultra 128mb

can't think of anything else i need to say o_O Are you using the Logitech mouse software?

Either yes or no, go to the Logitech site and download the latest software (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/finder/US/EN,CRID=270). Install it and see if it makes any difference.

--Stryfe

HellBreaker
25-02-04, 02:11
Originally posted by StryfeX
Are you using the Logitech mouse software?

Do you mean the drivers from the web site?
Then Yes

If you mean the iFeel software for it then
no i switched it off

I have had this sort of problems in other games (the mouse frezzes) and i can't move for a min. Same kind of problem but ...not.
ahhh god damn it so hard to explan :mad:

amfest
25-02-04, 02:46
yea i had problems like that with a mouse on one PC when playing UT . . . it would work .. then after a bit .. the mouse woudn't work .. then it would work again . .then no go .. I just got a different brand of mouse and it solved that problem heh . . but since we're talking priority resources here . hmmm . . . but if you have another mouse sitting around . maybe try that and test it out?

Artie
25-02-04, 02:58
Ok, remember that by setting process priority NC is getting more priority than the mouse (hence the skippage)...try setting the process for the mouse as high as you're setting the nc client.

Personally i have none of those problems and set my NC to realtime....but then again, with a dual processor i can go a step further and dedicate a processor purely for NC, then set the rest with affinity on my second processor. ^_^;;

Drexel
25-02-04, 03:14
Great, thanks for helping Vet kill me easier :rolleyes:

masterguyver
25-02-04, 03:26
k i am trying to merg the me file and get "cannot import *** the specified file is not a registry script". What am i doing wrong?

Divide
25-02-04, 03:41
Are you using the Logitech mouse software?

Either yes or no, go to the Logitech site and download the latest software (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/finder/US/EN,CRID=270). Install it and see if it makes any difference.

--Stryfe

Actually I would remove that software entirely, and use the supplied windows drivers. Generally speaking, the extra software bundled with logi's and microsoft mice screw with your games in one way or another.

Elric
25-02-04, 10:53
:lol:

Sorry Drexel.

Jest, someone else was talking about running teaamspeak / ventrillo at the same time also having issues.

I suggested switching it to high priority too, or to try switching them both to above normal.

The guy never actually got back to mention if it had worked, so it might be worth a shot.

StryfeX

Thanks again for the pointers, I'll try it again tonight, it must have been my computer that messed it up, it wasnt a zip file O_o

deac
25-02-04, 11:12
Internal 56k modem?

nope im on dsl... same thing happend to lore

GT_Rince
25-02-04, 12:22
Elrik - Sounds like you may be on to something here bud. I will give this a go tonight m8y. Anything that adds to FPS or FRE's is good.

And anyone else notice more FRE's since the last patch? Before it, I would FRE once in a blue moon - now it can be 1 or 2 a day :(

Elric
25-02-04, 12:23
Originally posted by deac
nope im on dsl... same thing happend to lore

Ok...

Lemme think...

In your task manager, does it show an entry for the modem driver or software that it needs to run?
(google the process name and it'll come up telling you what it is on one of the sites it shows)

If it does, then maybe setting it to equivalent setting of NC (eg, both high or both above normal, whatever seems to run most stable) and go from there ?

if not, im stumped :(

Does your DSL connection go through a Network Card or is it a USB modem? Could that make a difference? Assuming its USB, maybe it has another driver it needs to run and hopefully if so the above would work.

Lemme know ingame rince, we can run through a few things.

You got a Mic yet, Would be useful if I could get connected to a TS or Vent server to try out the possible fixes for that.

or if anyone else is willing to let me test it by joining theyre clan channel or watever, i promise i wont abuse you :p

Stigmata
25-02-04, 14:23
Personally my comp did not respond well to being set to high or even above normal.

I lost pretty much the ability to alt-tab effectively, TS began to be jerky and intermitant.

my FPS dropped to about 35-45 from 60 at crp/cycrow zone.

my ping began to fluctuate etc.

for me i will not be doing it again

my spec

XP pro
3GB 2700 ddr
XP3200
GF4 TI4800 se

Elric
25-02-04, 14:29
yikes. With that setup, I doubt you would have had to at all :p

Nice comp.

So, TS is probably a no no when using the high priority thing.

I'll attempt to test this myself at some point, but thats a pretty good indicator.

on a related note if its of any consequence.

My system

AthlonXP 2100+
512MB 2700 DDR
GF4 Ti4200
Windows XP Home

John.nl
25-02-04, 14:51
I can run in realtime perfectly on a dual cpu box. I'm still testing out the priority settings. So far I seem to zone better and crash less often with high priority.

Lower priority doesn't give me more FRE's or bad zoning as I expected but it does affect graphics a lot.

It's all gut feeling because I don't have a baseline for 'normal fre's'.

Elric
25-02-04, 14:54
Originally posted by John.nl
I can run in realtime perfectly on a dual cpu box. I'm still testing out the priority settings. So far I seem to zone better and crash less often with high priority.

Yea, same here. It seems to zone alot faster, even into busy or active zones (Plaza1, PP1 etc..) and definately less FRE's for me.

I was usually crashing about 7 - 8 times per 3 hour session.

Crashed three times in 4 days since using this high priority thing.

Bengalmin
25-02-04, 16:02
didn't do much for my system. FPS would be nice and stable then lock up for a fraction of second (usually when the HDD accessed)

didn't have any FRE, but I only tried it for 5min as the jurkyness was not good for gameplay

I am using a very old PC though

P3 733MHz, GF4 MX

AlphaGremlin
25-02-04, 16:10
Interesting Theory. Although I'm pretty sure Windows will automatically set the current foreground application to a slightly higher priority, and move it down again when you leave it.

For Windows 9x users, there is Another Task Manager:
http://www.betasoluzioni.com/users/atm/higheng.html

Cruzbroker
25-02-04, 16:49
Ventrilo worked normally when NC was set to high priority for me. Though IRC did disconnect from QuakeNet all the time :p (with Vent)

XP 2200+ 1.8 Ghz
512 SDRAM 133 MHz
GF4 Ti4400 128MB
Windows XP Pro

256k DSL

StryfeX
25-02-04, 19:20
Originally posted by Divide
Actually I would remove that software entirely, and use the supplied windows drivers. Generally speaking, the extra software bundled with logi's and microsoft mice screw with your games in one way or another. The Logitech software used to suck ass for games, but they finally got it sorted out, although it's still more of a personal preference it seems.

I can't comment on the MS mouse software, as I don't use it.

I think this would be another thing to try if you're using the mouse software... uninstall it and see if you still get problems with mouse lag. Don't forget to reboot after you uninstall. BTW, Div: SEX :D

StryfeX

Thanks again for the pointers, I'll try it again tonight, it must have been my computer that messed it up, it wasnt a zip file Did you try giving it a ".zip" extension?

--Stryfe

Elric
25-02-04, 19:30
I'll give it a shot ;)

Eledhbrant
25-02-04, 20:04
teamspeak seemed to freeze and miss many parts of sentences while NC was set to high.

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
512 MB DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 SE
Windows XP Pro

Cable, 4M/Bit

Elric
25-02-04, 20:09
Eledhbrant.

Can you try setting teamspeak to high priority too?

Lemme know if it makes any difference.

HellBreaker
25-02-04, 20:26
uninstall it and see if you still get problems with mouse lag. Don't forget to reboot after you uninstall. BTW, Div: SEX :D

--Stryfe

Trying now brb to tell you wot happened....heres hoping

HellBreaker
25-02-04, 20:40
nope - didn't work :mad:
it did improve it abit but not alot
is there a mouse task thingy on the task manger?
or anything like that?

Cruzbroker
25-02-04, 21:40
I have a MX500 and the latest MouseWare.. No problem playing NC high priority, and I don't need to go windows. I wouldn't put it high if I had to..

StryfeX
25-02-04, 21:55
Originally posted by Cruzbroker
I have a MX500 and the latest MouseWare.. No problem playing NC high priority, and I don't need to go windows. I wouldn't put it high if I had to.. I have the MX700 (the wireless version of that mouse) and the previous version of MouseWare, and I don't have any problems with my mouse either. Well... in my limited testing of the high-priority stuff.

--Stryfe

Artie
25-02-04, 21:59
Ok...people have been saying this and it makes perfect sense.

If you MUST alt tab or use a different program with
nc at the same time, you must set that program to
equal or higher priority than nc itself!!!

Load_HeavyLoad
02-04-04, 11:45
How do i do that on Windows 98???