PDA

View Full Version : Because I'm bored

Craven
22-02-04, 00:58
Well, I'm not really a Linux user but I get bored and like to search quirky things, so here is my find of the day.

A Linux patch to run neocron. (http://www.h07.org/releases.php?show=misc)

So, for those of you looking (the whole... one of you...) for a Linux version of NC, here is the next best thing.

Omnituens
22-02-04, 00:59
according to Macenzie, linux is da bomb, but i wouldnt use it

some people must test this to see if it works

Hell-demon
22-02-04, 01:00
Im a bit of a n00b..whats linux?

Lafiel
22-02-04, 01:02
rofl, its an open-source OS

Logan Tyrus
22-02-04, 01:02
its an open source OS based on UNIX.

Hell-demon
22-02-04, 01:03
its an open source OS based on UNIX.

huh?:confused:

Thats why I envy computer people they have their own language:mad:

Logan Tyrus
22-02-04, 01:07
basically a free operating system (windows/dos kinda thing) for computers. its open source meaning that the source code is all open and there for u to read and change linux. it's free. theres lots of different kinds. windows stuff cant run on it (usually). its based on UNIX which is an oldskool multi user operating system - works on a mainframe and mainy users kinda idea. Linux is huge, if ur interested search on the net for Linux and u'll have neough resources.

Edit: should get my linux box tomoz :D

Hell-demon
22-02-04, 01:08
I figured it was something to do with tampering with the source code:)

Craven
22-02-04, 01:09
Hey! Let me know how it works if you install it!

Logan Tyrus
22-02-04, 01:10
hmmm ok i'll try it but i am a total linux noob :D i couldnt mount my CD drive properly last time i poked around with it :rolleyes:

Craven
22-02-04, 01:13
I may have to call in my army of Linux-Nerds.

ME: "Quickly, MAKE THIS WORK!"

THEM: "Yes Uncle Craven!"

ME: "I'll fetch the cheetos you nerds!"

Hell-demon
22-02-04, 01:15
LOL!:lol:

naimex
22-02-04, 01:39
just downloaded and looked through source code..

(I cant test cuz I cant get linux to work on my machine)

However.. reading the "readme" and going through config files.

I find commands for exectuting a state of exception.

Kind of like having a virtual cd rom drive / cd image run as cd from hdd

:: It takes the "wine" aka "windows emulator" and forces the linux to operate in a windows like environment, thus making neocron able to run from a linux OS.

(Thats how I read the source anyways)

Craven
22-02-04, 03:26
That's basically how all WINE processes work. My friend told me he got Starcraft to work. Yay, for him.

P.S.- WINE: Wine Is Not an Emulator.

metalangel
22-02-04, 03:29
ONOZ TEH FBI!!1111 QIUCK HIED TEH LUNIX!!!!!!!1111oneoneonepiepiepie

:D

Craven
22-02-04, 03:29
Illiteracy strikes again!

Boozbazz
22-02-04, 08:08
First thing you do, get your hands on linux program (i had installer disks) then get something like parition magic. take away from windows a nice chunk, lets say 8 GB is what i did, start installing linux on your free space and there ya go! ;) but i dont use linux anymore but it's pretty cool, i used GNOME and my old roomate used KDE, KDE has a cool messenger, its called....shit...umm....meh whatever it has some cool alternative to msn messenger and it's way better, it even informs you when someone closes the window you are chatting it. i have a contract with my college saying im not gonna do too much crazy stuff with my laptop but meh, w/e. i only have one problem, i don't have linux or anything on my hardrive that has anything to do with it at all.....except one thing....the dam boot loader!
haha i just cant get rid of it because i need to use the microsoft install disk right? so i get my hands on it and i'm all ready and then it asks for administrators password so im like "shit" haha so one of these days i gotta go to the college and either ask them to type it in for me or just say "um i accidentally reformated my hardrive" lol :p

(edit) the bootloader i have is a linux one, basically first the computer wants to know what to load, microsoft tells it to go to this linux loader i put on it because i made it do that, so at that special boot loader i have the option of choosing linux or windows to load but linux isn't even on my computer anymore, so if it does go into linux my computer screws up and i have to unplug it and take out the battery lol. anybody know any other way to get rid of this shit?