PDA

View Full Version : Change the way weapon drawing/holstering works slightly

Samhain
21-02-04, 12:16
I'd like to see it changed so that pressing an item number of a currently used item no longer holsters that weapon, and instead does nothing. Add a holster current item key. This could be bound to the tilde (~) key or whatever. My reason for this is that sometimes you press a number to pull out a gun, and it doesn't look like anything happens, so you press it again and then your guns pops out and then gets put back right away. This is frusterating, because other times, you press a number to draw a weapon, and nothing happens, and you wait, figuring if I press "1" again, my weapon will just pop out in a second then get put away. But it doesn't. It's like you never pushed the button at all. At least with this change, we can hit the key again if we aren't sure if it registered to the server, without worrying about having our weapon pop out and holster right away.

I doubt I'm the only one with this problem? I imagine it's most of us players from north america with high (150-200) pings.

sparrowtm
21-02-04, 12:20
It's not a problem of American players only, I experience the same problem as well. But instead of a holster-key I'd like to see the netcode improved so such things won't happen anymore.

Samhain
21-02-04, 12:20
yeah, but which is more likely to happen? ;)

Maarten
21-02-04, 12:21
The only problem I have with holstering weapons is that my character automatically holsters when I approach water (very noticable in the sewers AND very annoying)

sparrowtm
21-02-04, 12:22
Originally posted by Samhain
yeah, but which is more likely to happen? ;)

Both possibilities are as probable as a roleplaying community on Saturn :p

Samhain
21-02-04, 12:23
Originally posted by Maarten
The only problem I have with holstering weapons is that my character automatically holsters when I approach water (very noticable in the sewers AND very annoying)

Yes but the question is, even though you don't experience this problem - do the proposed changes that would solve the problem for those that do experience it affect you negatively or give you any reason to be opposed to them?

athon
21-02-04, 12:53
So how will you holster your weapon when nearing Storm bots then?

Athon Solo

Mumblyfish
21-02-04, 13:13
Just change the whole weapon drawing/holstering system to that of Deus Ex.

Then nice things happen.

Samhain
22-02-04, 02:00
So how will you holster your weapon when nearing Storm bots then?

Like I said, add a "holster current item" key. I would probably bind this command to the tilde ~ key that's to the left of "1", it's not too far out of reach and you can access it with your left hand just like any other item in 1-6 (which is where your weapons most likely will be)

Q`alooaith
22-02-04, 06:21
Have you ever tryed

*look's up default key setting's, can't find them*

well for me it's H

that's holster weapon BTW, and you can put a key for it, and I'm pretty sure H is the default....

It's amazing, it's already in the game and people ignore it and ask for it to be added a second time..

AlphaGremlin
22-02-04, 13:21
Q`alooaith:
Well, since the holster button is already there, that still leaves the "feature" of holstering when pressing your already selected weapon's number.
Maarten:
Wapons being holstered near water: it only happens with electronic weapons, I think. Water is bad for the circuits, or something.

J. Folsom
22-02-04, 13:22
Originally posted by AlphaGremlin
Maarten:
Wapons being holstered near water: it only happens with electronic weapons, I think. Water is bad for the circuits, or something. Happens with all weapons, except low-tech Melee AFAIK. Might be wrong there though.

Heavyporker
22-02-04, 14:46
happens with PSI too.

I mean, wtf with that, we can't think in the water?