PDA

View Full Version : How to make my PC shudda up.

Hippieman
21-02-04, 06:28
Alright after finally upgrading for now, I've decided to upgrade more, even when im broke:rolleyes: . But I wanna make my PC shudda up. Damn walls are like cardboard really and have once in a while woken up someone :D . So I need to know the following,

1. When looking at a case, what materials cause it to be the most silent?

2. What type and how many case fans should I get? And it must be enough to cool a system fairly well.

3. What type of fan should I get for my Athlon XP 2000+? Would like one that also will be able to be slapped on a 3200+ in the future. Nothing to heavy, but something that wont let the thing burn up in smoke.

4. Its gonna be a Mid Tower ATX case if that even matters.....

5. Oh yea, I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 120 GB HDD, would putting a fan thingy on it make it shudda up?

6. Who the hell said their was a 6 O_o

Psycho_Soldier
21-02-04, 06:30
Is it the fans that make the noise? I assume so, so get new, more quite fans.

Hippieman
21-02-04, 06:33
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
Is it the fans that make the noise? I assume so, so get new, more quite fans.

Its everything really, they all contribute in a small or big way. And I know I gotta get new more quite fans, im asking which ones I should get.

Mr Friendly
21-02-04, 06:35
*search for a case with NO POWER SUPPLY
*search for a power source brand named Zalman
Click here for a possible item (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-211&depa=0)
*then just find a cpu fan with the lowest decibels (if u have an AMD cpu)
Click here to view a possible item (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-103-137&catalog=62&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0)
-if an intel P4, just keep the stock cpu cooler

if u cant afford the Zlaman ones :p, thermaltakes are pretty quiet also
^ the cpu fan & power source are mainly the only 'loud' things on ur system that would influence the loudness

greploco
21-02-04, 07:30
most of the time ->

powersupplies are pretty quiet now, and the noise is generally from cpu fans

if you really want it quiet, buy intel --- but I havn't done that either

case fans can be loud, take the out or purchase quiet models

zalman has good quiet cpu fans

www.quietpc.com is also a good bet

another trick is to put a variable resistor between your mb and cpu fan and turn the fanspeed down, it works. they can be found in many spots. www.plycon.com

spongeb0b
21-02-04, 09:02
You cna also get fan filteres which are good, because they cut odwn noise...but i think that is only when you have a fan on the side of your case etc.... But i dont know, its too early in the morning

Scikar
21-02-04, 19:38
The Maxtor DiamondMax HDDs that I use are virtually silent, so I would recommend them. Fan and case wise I can't really help, though I have a friend who oiled up his fans, now his comp is practically inaudible. It's also recommended to put your fans in series with each other and attach them to the motherboard rather than plug them straight into the PSU - unless you have a speed controller for them. Otherwise they'll run at full speed all the time which makes a fair bit of noise (trust me on this - I have 7 case fans in this comp all connected to the PSU instead of the motherboard, and it sounds like a jet engine).

kurai
21-02-04, 20:23
Another thing that helps is to get the heaviest construction case that you can - big thick steel panels damp out vibration *way* better than thin flimsy ones or aluminium etc.

Also fit little rubber washers on the screws between anything that bolts to anything else solid.

You'll be very surprised how much HD noise is transmitted thourgh the chassis and resonates on the panels, even tho the HDs sound almost completely silent close up on their own.

sw1tch
21-02-04, 20:31
QuietPC (http://www.quietpc.com/) is full of products aimed towards keeping PC's quiet, even if you dont want to buy from here, just look at what they sell for an idea of what you can get.

Psyco Groupie
21-02-04, 20:53
Do not buy any expensive cotton wool to make your pc heavier, just solder some resistors onto the fans so they spin at less rpm or get a speed controller that fits in a drive bay

naimex
21-02-04, 20:57
donīt bother, in time people get used to it..

Iīve learned to sleep with my stereo on high volume...

My parents have learned this too.....only took about a year... :rolleyes:

My bro hasnīt learned yet, but he would have if he was home more...

Go for gold, Go for performance. Scew noise.

J. Folsom
21-02-04, 22:35
I've always found hitting my PC with a mallet makes it shut up nicely. Do make sure you use a mallet with a wooden handle though, otherwise it might cause bodily harm.

Omnituens
22-02-04, 00:12
Zalman is da bomb.

i would advise an Aluminium case with sound proofing (sorry i cant give a link, but i know you can get them)

cRazy2003
22-02-04, 01:39
get a case intake and outtake fan. a big one with a heatsink for the cpu, a HHD fan isnt really nessesery in most cases, or if u do have any spare cash try looking into watercooling systems or in-case refridgerators, they really cool things down

GT_Rince
22-02-04, 02:03
Unless you are over-clocking, why would you need any case fans? I have run an Intel 1800 for ages now and have no extra cooling - system run like a dream and is whisper-quiet :) DO spend a little more on a good CPU Fan though

Psyco Groupie
22-02-04, 02:13
Intels run alot cooler than AMD's especially the old / 'slower' ones

Samhain
22-02-04, 02:13
I slept with two vantec tornado (55 dB) fans 10 feet from my head for about 3 months, and I am so, so, so happy I've got watercooled now.

which is my answer for you. get a kit together for about $100. since you don't want crazy ass performance, you don't need that high of a flow pump, only need a small rad (heatercore from a chevette is good) and you can get a crazy low rpm 120mm fan that will still give enough cfm to cool it all off. if you really wanted, you could get a block for your northbridge [if it has a fan on it] and for your video card too [which will most likely have a fan unless its a slow ass one] and then you've cut the number of fans in your case down to 1, if you get a fanless power supply.