PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a KB / Mouse i can buy that have a good range...

Shujin
21-02-04, 06:16
I have a 50ft S-Video cable going from my comp to my living room TV( which is maybe about 20ft away... )
well my current Keyboard and mouse do not reach that far ;P

some how the first day i did it it actually worked and i was playing eve in my living room layin back on my coutch lookin big screen tv... but now they dont seem to want to reach that far ;P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789256729&category=15389

would blue tooth reach?

jernau
21-02-04, 06:24
Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it.

BT was originally specced for a 3-foot foot range and is now being cranked higher and higher to try and do more and more jobs. Some devices do now run at >20ft but there's no guarantee.

Why don't you also extend the kb/mouse leads?

Shujin
21-02-04, 06:26
Originally posted by jernau
Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it.

BT was originally specced for a 3-foot foot range and is now being cranked higher and higher to try and do more and more jobs. Some devices do now run at >20ft but there's no guarantee.

Why don't you also extend the kb/mouse leads? guess i could get usb extension cords o.0.... and yea most of the blue tooth things ive read say they have 30 feet range.

and most non blue tooth wireless ive seen said 3-6ft ;P mine reached about 20-25ft for a while ;] duno why it stopped

ps. the current wireless ones i use use radio transmissions, so couldnt i just open them up and replace their current transmitter with a more powerful one? :P i got a couple lil things that can boost the radio signals

Ransom
21-02-04, 08:34
Bluetooth may do it, all the appliances that I have used stated a 10 metre range, so 20ft should be a doddle, but seeing the price of them, check each peripheral before you buy.

massic
21-02-04, 09:06
I have a wireless key/mouse setup I bought about a year ago with a 30 foot range for my living room, has worked great with no probs.

http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-fsk.htm

The mouse is kind of goofy though you can use it on a table or you can just move it around in the air but it's really difficult to get used to like that.

Cost's around $99 US, but worth it if you don't want to run cables all over the place.

naimex
21-02-04, 10:04
build it yourself and mod it with enough "wirejunk" to make it reach. (has to have enough slots, the more slots, the longer your mouse and keyboard can extend its range)

or buy one.. use "object removal tool" to disassemble the "hull" and then add more "wirejunk" to construction...

cRazy2003
21-02-04, 17:25
it should reach, my n-gage mobile fone has bluetooth and i can play other people with n-gages wirelessly from different ends of the house, which is a long way :p
theres loads of variations u can use, theres satillite keyboards in which u have a few tiny little satallite dishes and u place around the house to reflect the beam from the keyboard to the pc :D
so yea i wud go for bluetooth, its a shame it doesnt have the range stated, but im pritty sure it might be able to reach, but dont count on it, and if u get it and it doesnt, just re-sell it on e-bay :D

Psyco Groupie
21-02-04, 17:35
simple, get a blue tooth dongle and a usb extention cable ....

jernau
23-02-04, 08:39
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
simple, get a blue tooth dongle and a usb extention cable ....

That was what I meant - not run the leads all the way to the sofa :).

Gyration is very good - I used to use one just for the gyro function and loved it. The keyboard is also very neat. It didn't have that much range though, or at least mine didn't. They definitely have some QA issues at the factory though so get one from a supplier that has a civilised returns policy if you get one.