PDA

View Full Version : My experience since my return to NC

shizzu
20-02-04, 21:18
I left Neocron last June, I was tired of waiting for DOY and fixes to the games shortcomings. There was just to much hurry up and wait.

Then last month I see DOY is *supposedly* getting closer to release and there's been a few patches and some new stuff to check out. I figure reactivate my account to keep it from being deleted when DOY releases.

I play Snake Plisken, a PE on pluto.

On to the observations. =P

The game is still whacked! I still see a bunch of hurry up and wait happening still.

I see that KK has been constantly making serious game changes to the various character classes and the equipment. Nerf, Boost, Nerf, Boost, Nerf..... you get the idea.

KK seems to be having a problem defining a game balance between pvp and non-pvp playing. For example, droners would complain because they couldn't kill mobs effectively, so they were boosted to be more effective mob killers, but that in turn made them more effective pvpr's. Or how about the inability for ppu's to lvl, I am not sure if that was ever addressed.

One personal beef I have is the MC5 area and the chips to be found there. I would love to get one, but I have had many people tell me that its a waste of time for a PE to go there because any ppu thats there will just end up spending there time res'ing me.

Whats the deal with the game dynamics where there are these mobs that insta-kill you?

The monks were overpowered, so kk helped split the apu/ppu class, then ppu became so powerful at protection that you couldn't be killed. Then you get more powerful mobs that can dmg you when you are covered by a ppu.

For a while there poison dmg was the be all end all, then that was changed, players have been eating lom pills like m&m's to keep there runners intune with rules of the game.

KK has done this up and down with the classes skills, and weapons and mobs for so long now the game dynamics as a whole are fubar!!

Personally, I think KK needs to shitcan the whole lot and start from the ground up and get the dynamics defined correctly. No more insta-kill mobs, no impossible to kill character class and many other things.

This post is just an impromptu post to express what I think many players in the game feel, I am sure many of you could easily add pages of additional examples.

Mirco
20-02-04, 21:37
Well I for one doesnt feel it to be as bad as you say shizzu.
I dont see anything wrong with some classes not being able to go to mc5. I wish there where more dungeons where other classes came to their rights and where other classes can`t go. Then you would have the monks and tanks doing mc5 and pe`s and spies doing some other dungeon to get crucial equipment. Your choice of class should open some doors and close others. Its only sad that there is no special dungeon for PE`s or spies.

I don`t think pvp is all that bad now. The drones that has been implemented is mainly pvp drones and for pvm punisher+graves is still your friend I assume. I have only 2 main problems now and the first one is the ppu. The second, which aint that big of a problem is stealth. I think it is slightly flawed and could use some tweaking.

Zanathos
20-02-04, 21:40
Guys, theres alot wrong with this game, theres alot wierd with this game, theres alot that could be better in this agme.

But guess what?

This game is still the best in its class/genre.

Rieper
20-02-04, 22:03
Originally posted by Mirco
Well I for one doesnt feel it to be as bad as you say shizzu.
I dont see anything wrong with some classes not being able to go to mc5. I wish there where more dungeons where other classes came to their rights and where other classes can`t go. Then you would have the monks and tanks doing mc5 and pe`s and spies doing some other dungeon to get crucial equipment. Your choice of class should open some doors and close others. Its only sad that there is no special dungeon for PE`s or spies.

sooo, great... but KK never intended a class specific dungeon.. and how exactly could spies and pes flourish in certain areas where they are crucial, but tanks and ppus arent? i dont think thats viable. the problem is that they do ridiculous amounts of dmg (the mobs) and in a tiny room.. theres no skill to mc5 its zone stack heal zone stack heal zone stack heal ad nauseam.

shizzu
20-02-04, 23:40
Its more than just MC5, i think that MC5 is just a good example of how KK fixes shit with a sledgehammer instead of a nudge. And instead of removing or reducing changes they made, they just increase the amount of change in other areas. Hence, insta-kill mobs and really powerful ppu protections, stronger drones, stronger tanks, stronger whatever.

The pvp balance isn't so bad as how the changes made to adjust pvp effect pvm combat.

MrBiggles
21-02-04, 00:15
Originally posted by Zanathos
Guys, theres alot wrong with this game, theres alot wierd with this game, theres alot that could be better in this agme.

But guess what?

This game is still the best in its class/genre.

Just because someone has a choice between throwing up, having the shits, and dying, and they happen to choose throwing up as the lesser of all evils, doesn't mean that we should make a "happy fun throwing up game", does it?

when there's only 3 games in the genre currently, saying it's the best doesn't really look so well, and certainly doesn't serve as an argument to stop wishing that things would change.

Glok
21-02-04, 00:20
Originally posted by MrBiggles
Just because someone has a choice between throwing up, having the shits, and dying, and they happen to choose throwing up as the lesser of all evils, doesn't mean that we should make a "happy fun throwing up game", does it?LOL. Those are the comparisons you chose for Neocron and the 'other' sci-fi MMORPGs? Why the fuck are you even here then? :confused:

Zanathos
21-02-04, 00:26
WTF are you talking about?

All i was saying that dispite the fact that theres all this shit in the game, its still the best of its class/genre.

doesnt matter that there are only 2 other games like it.

Sure it would be nice if ReaKKtor sorted out all this crap, but it seems like there just trying to keep us happy till the expansion is done.

-FN-
21-02-04, 00:28
Y'know, I lapsed in playing but stayed in the community for a 2 month stint, but other than that I've been here since beta watching things get better, get worse, get better, get ugly, get better, get bad, get better, etc...

Overall, Neocron is getting better. It is with every patch. And after every patch there's bitch time, followed by adapt time. So much has changed since the beginning and so much has improved. That's just the way I see it *shrug*

And I remember you Snake :) Weren't you PIMP?

MrBiggles
21-02-04, 00:28
Originally posted by Glok
LOL. Those are the comparisons you chose for Neocron and the 'other' sci-fi MMORPGs? Why the fuck are you even here then? :confused:

i'm not saying not to give neocron a chance, nor saying that KK shouldn't have a chance either. I'm here because I'm currently still choosing to give that chance with my monthly payment.

However, I have also always been a believer in holding companies accountable for the games they produce and support, especially if it's a persistent online world that has monthly subscription fees.

I was simply trying to make the point that "best of 3" doesn't mean that there's not things wrong with it, that's all. People sticking up for an obviously flawed product just rubs me the wrong way. Putting up with something, choosing to deal with it is ok, but defending it as actually BEING ok isn't the way to go, IMHO.

Glok
21-02-04, 00:35
Originally posted by MrBiggles
People sticking up for an obviously flawed product just rubs me the wrong way. Putting up with something, choosing to deal with it is ok, but defending it as actually BEING ok isn't the way to go, IMHO. Maybe some of us don't think it is all that flawed. You can't take your opinions and hold them as fact when making arguments. I happen to think this game is awesome, and there are only a few problems currently, and none of them are critical except perhaps tradeskill xp, but I think that KK somehow want tradeskillers to do a little PvM.

MrBiggles
21-02-04, 00:37
You can't take your opinions and hold them as fact when making arguments.

erm? no fact involved, bro, hence the "IMHOpinion"

unless you don't agree with "obviously flawed" statement, which even yourself in previous post said "there are a few problems"?

Glok
21-02-04, 00:43
'a few problems' != 'obviously flawed' you tard.

[F6]Knight
21-02-04, 00:49
and yet another whiner
u dont like the game little boy? simply cancel your account
nobody cares
enough ppl who like the game as it is and actually have respect for all the effort KK puts in this game

MrBiggles
21-02-04, 00:54
'a few problems' != 'obviously flawed' you tard.

hmm let's see...

flawed = problem

ovbious = able to be seen or counted

I never said "incredibly hugely overwhelmingly flawed" all you frothing fanbois, I just said there are some obvious problems.

crashing when syncing IS AN OBVIOUS PROBLEM. it's NOT normal. Crashing AT ALL in a game IS NOT NORMAL. Therefore, there does exist, AT THE VERY LEAST, one OBVIOUS problem.

Glok
21-02-04, 00:56
MrBiggles, I again remind you of the comparison you made here:
Just because someone has a choice between throwing up, having the shits, and dying, and they happen to choose throwing up as the lesser of all evils, doesn't mean that we should make a "happy fun throwing up game", does it?Don't try to fucking turn it around and call me a frothing fanboy. You made the idiotic comparison, not me.

MrBiggles
21-02-04, 00:59
MrBiggles, I again remind you of the comparison you made here:Don't try to fucking turn it around and call me a frothing fanboy. You made the idiotic comparison, not me.

? that has absolutely no bearing on the current argument.

And the frothing statement was aimed at Knight who jumped in and spouted off about how "if i don't like it cancel my account" which is so fanboi it's a cliche on some forums.

Glok
21-02-04, 01:01
It doesn't have any bearing on the argument? It was that ridiculous comment that started the argument, and you still argue the game is shit because it has some problems. Newsflash buddy, nothing is perfect. NOTHING.

MrBiggles
21-02-04, 01:08
It doesn't have any bearing on the argument? It was that ridiculous comment that started the argument, and you still argue the game is shit because it has some problems. Newsflash buddy, nothing is perfect. NOTHING.

Actually, what started the argument was you saying that I was making my whole post out to be a factual statement, which I was not doing.

Then I merely tried to point out that there are obvious flaws in the game, at which point I was accosted with the "quit whining cancel your account" post.

Sheesh people. Just cause I'm a new guy I can't argue that the game has obvious flaws? "Neocron Senior" titles bitch about this and that all the time without you people blinking.

My whole point was that sometimes people stick up for things being ok as they are, when they are not ok. If everyone were to just shut up and play the game as it is, and pretend that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, there would never be any community feedback to KK, whom we are paying to provide us with a product. If we are not happy with a product, or see things that can use improvement, we need to say something. Unvoiced opinions don't get heard, oddly enough.

Glok
21-02-04, 01:48
Then retract your statement that equated Neocron with puke. :p

Iricus
22-02-04, 00:44
Its nice to see the community has grown since i last saw it.
I'm gonna try and get back into the game and see for myself whats happened but from what i hear it aint improved much since the begining.

Smacktard
22-02-04, 17:10
Me too shizzu, I recently came back to the game because I heard BDOY was getting close.

I agree, the game is still whacked with all its faults, BUT having said that, this game is still the best massive online first person shooter out there.

It just kicks ass with what you can see and do with your character. I agree that there is a serious flaw with the basic foundation of the code in this game.

Maybe things will change with BDOY, prolly not, only get worse but I'll be angry and happy at the same time because like I said, what game is better than this, really?

Aziraphale
22-02-04, 17:24
http://pkmi.org/Photos/Oct2000/flame.jpg

Topcat
22-02-04, 17:30
Coming back myself noww, especially if good old Snake Plsiken is back, had some fun fights with him back in the day.Anways, We all agree the game has flaws, thing is to just learn to live with them, if you can't take the bugs, you get out after some time. Still the game has enough to offer for me that I will keep coming back, even if one might need a break now and then.

Me I been gone a long timenow, since september, unwanted Neocronvacation, cuz of comp probs (like not having one).So I might be idolizing the game a bit cuz of the long unwilling break , cuz I know I have gotten tired of it at times, but it keeps ya coming back.

Anyways Snake, stay untill I can get to fight ya again, I want that privillige.