PDA

View Full Version : Ingame-Forums/Citycom - do they need to be redone?

sparrowtm
20-02-04, 15:34
Hey,

a few days ago, I started a poll on the German board asking if people would be opposed to a patch that for once would not focus on PvP/balance issues, but on something different - the ingame-forums.

The results were as follows:

61 voted for the CityCom/ingame-forums to become patch priority soon.
5 voted against that idea.

Now I wondered if the English community had the same point of view, so here's a translation of said poll:

---

If I'm not totally wrong, the Neocron ingame-forum concept (or the CityCom in general) is still unique in the world of MMORPGs. It is fitting the sci-fi scenario of Neocron very well. If only it was not as bugged as if Bill Gates was still in charge 700 years in the future.

I started playing Neocron in November 2002. Since then, various attempts were made to stabilize, improve and debug the ingame-forums. Yet, the only results were new and/or different bugs.

What would the benefits of a nice and well working forum be?

1.) Many threads regarding ingame-politics posted on the offgame-forums would be obsolete. People do it now because there is no other way to vent and discuss things. Our mod's famous saying "keep it ingame" would actually start to have a meaning. New customers would not panic about the attitude of people on our boards (they'd find out later ingame :p)

2.) Roleplaying would be encouraged - advertisements, services, bounty threads and events could be properly presented to the server population - in addition to reaching those that don't browse the offgame forums on a regular basis.

3.) Atmosphere - I can't really believe that the government of Neocron was not able to fix their primary communication system since 30-ingame years (hey .. wait .. that's Tangents job .. you lazy bastards)

Point of this thread:

Who else could live with a patch that wouldn't focus on weapon/PvP balance but to finally bring to life and fix one of Neocrons MAIN features - the ingame-forums and the CityCom.

sparrowtm
20-02-04, 15:35
Grrr ... falsches Forum .. bitte ins Englische verschieben :(

Andruil
20-02-04, 15:59
You made this on purpose, heh :p

El_MUERkO
20-02-04, 16:13
I'd love to see the citycom forums working, especially if they had a real date & time beside the ingame one which is just confusing.

sparrowtm
20-02-04, 16:23
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
I'd love to see the citycom forums working, especially if they had a real date & time beside the ingame one which is just confusing.

Indeed, a switch between IG and RL time would be nice as well.

Carinth
20-02-04, 19:48
I voted yes, but actualy i'd prefer the current ingame forums to be entirely scrapped. They should start over with the intention of being a working forum. All the features a typical forum has, should be available in game. Things like copy/paste, quoting another post, editing your posts, moderating clan forums, being able to see past the 5th page! I stopped using the ingame forum 8 or so months ago. It's just too unreliable and difficult to work with. If we actualy had a decent ingame forum, the mods here could seriously say "take it ingame." As it is, this forum is the only way to communicate to lots of players.

sw1tch
20-02-04, 19:55
If they made it an inbuilt webbrowser then it could use a web forum like vbulletin. This could make it much more dynamic, and content changed and added much easier, it would also be easier to moderate.

What they have at the moment is a good idea but too inefficient in the times, threads disapearing and no edit or other features that come with web based forums

It would also make lomming better, instead of alt tabbing, and possible wasting more time if you spend longer than 6 mins alt tabbed, you can just pop the loms ingame

Boozbazz
20-02-04, 20:04
i'm more hoping for some pvp balance before they start tinkering with the forums.

Strych9
20-02-04, 20:08
Originally posted by Boozbazz
i'm more hoping for some pvp balance before they start tinkering with the forums. PvP will never be "balanced" for everyone. At least with the forums they can have definite progress. :)

sparrowtm
21-02-04, 08:45
Originally posted by sw1tch
It would also make lomming better, instead of alt tabbing, and possible wasting more time if you spend longer than 6 mins alt tabbed, you can just pop the loms ingame

Oh yes ... you can't believe how bored I am atm while I'm lomming ... just looking at the F9-worldmap checking if anything would change. :p

Spex
21-02-04, 12:16
The worst of the ingame forums is the FPS drop. It's no fun to scroll through text at 2 to 4 FPS. With a faster text output maybe the forums become at least usable, besides the missing functionality Carinth already listed.

sparrowtm
21-02-04, 17:02
And once again, the polls results are astounding :)

LTA
21-02-04, 18:18
In a word

Yes

(or in eight words)

Glok
21-02-04, 18:22
Even if they changed nothing else about the forums, putting the real world date on them would make them infinitely more useful.

edit: And, YES. :D

Marx
21-02-04, 18:31
Originally posted by Boozbazz
i'm more hoping for some pvp balance before they start tinkering with the forums.

Originally posted by Nullifidian
I think KK needs to stop doing ANYTHING that relates to combat in the game and focus completely on making non-combat activities MORE FUN.

Yes, you heard me, MORE FUN. Not more powerful, not more uber, MORE FUN. Currently, all non-combat activities are made up of either watching a progress bar move or playing a simplistic puzzle game. Sorry, but those are not fun.

sparrowtm
21-02-04, 19:07
Originally posted by Glok
Even if they changed nothing else about the forums, putting the real world date on them would make them infinitely more useful.

edit: And, YES. :D

I don't know how it is on your server, but on Jupiter you can't even post new threads anymore 8|

Glok
21-02-04, 19:08
Same thing on Pluto. All new threads go bye-bye.

sparrowtm
30-03-04, 06:43
This is not a bump. This is not a try to tickle a reaction out of the devs. There is nothing to see. Move along, citizen.

Nah .. really. I wanted to thank the Devs for sorting the forums out so you can at least post SOMETHING. Now it would be cool if you could fix the whole thing in the 5 minutes you aren't working on DoY. :D

Carinth
30-03-04, 06:52
We need to find the 1 guy that voted no, and do many unpleasent things to him/her.

I wouldn't put much hope in this being done before DOY. KK is very focused on DOY and until it's finnaly released, I doubt they'll fix much of the existing Neocron.

joran420
30-03-04, 06:55
they proly are gonna include it with BDOY....hopefully

Vithar
30-03-04, 07:40
Don't bump old threads.

Vithar