PDA

View Full Version : 'Best' Pistol for a PE since patch?

Selendor
20-02-04, 13:02
Ello, I was thinking of lomming to pistols at some point (my Pain Easer PE seems obsolete these days) and I was wondering on the opinion of all you pistol experts, especially since the recent patch to pistol power. Pistols are interesting to me because unlike the other classes (Rifle = PainEaser/Rog, Heavy =C/S,Dev etc etc), there seems to be quite a varied use of pistols in day to day use. So, here's the question:

- What is the best Pistol to use for a capped Private Eye, with PvP in mind?

Low tech or High Tech (considering defence potential of lowtech)?

Also, when we speak of 'best', what is the best pistol to kill an opponent (tank, pe, monk), compared to what is the best pistol to use (for fun, coolness etc), and why?

Cheers

extract
20-02-04, 13:05
Originally posted by Selendor
obsolete

no way, PE owns

ezza
20-02-04, 13:07
nish's PE uses pain easer and he in no way seems obslete.

i use PE on my PE, all those pistolero upstarts, get a real gun:D

El_MUERkO
20-02-04, 13:09
With the right kit you can use the Beam of Hell or the Ray of God, these pack a punch, now you may not cap them like you would a Liberator but they'll still out damage a Liberator in PvP and if you get PPU buffs at an OP war you do some serious damage.

The Judge got a boost in the last patch as well so I'd go hightech and work it to your tastes.

-------------------------------------

All this may go out the window with the next patch changing pistols and heavy weapons.

sultana
20-02-04, 13:11
If you have a sa, go for a rolh setup or even slasher. Though if not, try a more defensive setup and go for a libby, still the lib can do a bit of damage if you string some shots together. The blacksun doesn't seem to do as much damage now, maybe because all the rares got boosted :/ or most anyway.

One other thing, the RoG doesn't do enough damage imo.

Selendor
20-02-04, 13:20
Wasn't trying to put the Pain Easer down, just fancy a new challenge on my PE. In my experience, against the best tanks (since CS/Dev boost) and Pistol PE's, he loses most times. I'm thinking thats because I've gimped my resists too much and I'm too slow as a rifle user (plus I don't stealth).

Anyways, back to the Pistols...............lend me your knowledge :)

El_MUERkO
20-02-04, 13:20
I have an SA witch gives me +6 dex to a total of 109 dex, I'm not using a motoric 3 so if i popped the SA and used a motoric I'd have 108 which is enough to use the BOH and ROLH.

If you didnt want to use the ROLH you could use a balistic 2 and BOH or anythign at all and a Judge :)

Selendor
20-02-04, 13:34
Hmm, I'm seeing advice to boost up dex to be able to use the high tech pistols, even without capping their damage. Interesting.

But doesn't this screw up your defense? For instance I presume you are sacrificing a Proto Resist / Moveon in order to get that high, so do you find your Private Eye actually lasts long enough in honest combat (no stealth) to beat the best Tanks and PE's?

I had presumed that the best way to go would have been low tech Pistols, capping a weapon while retaining defense, and at the same time freeing up enough weapon lore to be able to run-cast shelter spells and heals?

Judge
20-02-04, 13:55
For defence go lowtech libby. Try and think of a really weird setup, don't constrain yourself to normal imps, because there is a really sweet setup out there which most people don't see.

For offence go either BoH or RoLH. I don't know much about setups for these but I know they pack a punch. Just as long as you don't turn into a stealth whore Sel. :mad:

You get beat, sure stealth.... just don't come back.

Vamil
20-02-04, 14:28
I'm a lowtech rifle PE on pluto and I do feel obsolete. I can't fight stealthers, tech weapons do more damage than what my resists can handle. Its messed up, people tell me that being lowtech gets me betters imps and resists. Tell me this, wtf do resists mean when you take 100+ from a CS burst no matter the resists. Or if you beat a guy and he stealths off, only to come out 5 mins later gets teh first couple attacks on ya off guard. Rinse repeat for the stealther

If your gonna go PE you gotta have tech nowadays. I do feel obsolete but I don't care, i'm gonna still keep my setup the same

Judge
20-02-04, 14:39
I take pride in the fact that I'm fighting with honor and that it takes more skill to kill someone with a libby when you can't stealth and don't wear PA. Drik looks too nice for PA. :)

Dribble Joy
20-02-04, 14:40
I'd say either libby (pure low tech, m4d runspeed) or go to the other end and use the RoLH.

@vamil

I'm a judge PE and I take less than 80 from the current CS. Dunno what you are doing wrong.

El_MUERkO
20-02-04, 15:20
You do loose some hitpoints for the higher weapons but ur damage output is also increased.

Ozambabbaz
20-02-04, 16:10
Originally posted by Vamil
I'm a lowtech rifle PE on pluto and I do feel obsolete. I can't fight stealthers, tech weapons do more damage than what my resists can handle. Its messed up, people tell me that being lowtech gets me betters imps and resists. Tell me this, wtf do resists mean when you take 100+ from a CS burst no matter the resists. Or if you beat a guy and he stealths off, only to come out 5 mins later gets teh first couple attacks on ya off guard. Rinse repeat for the stealther

If your gonna go PE you gotta have tech nowadays. I do feel obsolete but I don't care, i'm gonna still keep my setup the same

sounds like you just need to redo your resists a bit. about the better imps/resists, i think what "people" talked about , is the moveon+PP chip feature.

Selendor
20-02-04, 16:14
I'm tempted to go with the Libby or Judge and retain some defensive options. Thats because most of the time I never start fights, my instinct is never to shoot first when I see a red runner, but I want to be the one to finish it if he opens fire ;)

I'm guessing that with the Libby you can really drop down the ATH and boost your resists, and compensate with a high AGL.

Oh and by the way, whats a good energy weapon for testing your resists against? I used to work on them agains a CS but it proved very inconsistent for testing. Perhaps the Ravager?

El_MUERkO
20-02-04, 16:15
Originally posted by Ozambabbaz
sounds like you just need to redo your resists a bit. about the better imps/resists, i think what "people" talked about , is the moveon+PP chip feature.

Remember damage is % based, so you might take 100 from a CS burst and I might take 70 but I could have a smaller pool than you.

Dribble Joy
20-02-04, 16:18
Oh and by the way, whats a good energy weapon for testing your resists against? I used to work on them agains a CS but it proved very inconsistent for testing. Perhaps the Ravager?

The CS, as you said, is highly unpredictable. The judge is quite a good weapon to use, it's common enough and it will hit both bolts at close range far more often than a CS.

ezza
20-02-04, 16:19
I'm tempted to go with the Libby or Judge and retain some defensive options. Thats because most of the time I never start fights, my instinct is never to shoot first when I see a red runner, but I want to be the one to finish it if he opens fire ;)

I'm guessing that with the Libby you can really drop down the ATH and boost your resists, and compensate with a high AGL.

Oh and by the way, whats a good energy weapon for testing your resists against? I used to work on them agains a CS but it proved very inconsistent for testing. Perhaps the Ravager? i think the lasers are the best as they still do consistant damage(afaik) CS isnt good to test with cos the damage isnt consistant tbh not sure about ravager not really used mine yet(actually i aint even loaded it :lol: )