PDA

View Full Version : Running from Melee is exploit(?)

s0apy
19-02-04, 17:56
nice to get a reminder of the rules every now and then. here's one i noticed:

1. What is an exploit?
An exploit is the deliberate misuse of weaknesses or bugs in game features for personal advantage.

now then, the fact that a melee user cannot hit a target moving at reasonable speed directly away from him is a weakness in the game, no question. i'd go further and call it a bug, since it

so, by running away from a melee weapon you are taking advantage of that "weakness" and therefore exploiting (knowingly or not).

Discuss....

lol. now obviously i'm not suggesting for a moment that this really be classed as an exploit, but it raises two interesting questions. the first is that certain bugs just plain need to be fixed, and any amount of expounding about exploits doesn't change the fact that the best way to prevent exploiting is by fixing the bugs.

the second is that it's really not that easy to blanket-define what an exploit really is, or at least when people are really cheating.

Mr_Snow
19-02-04, 17:57
It is an exploit but not officially an exploit because there has been no announcement saying it is, same as the para halo exploit really.

Furion
19-02-04, 17:58
yea, whenever i see a melee user ill be sure to stand still so im not exploiting.........

cRazy2003
19-02-04, 17:59
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHA
ROFLMFAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
god that was so funny, what do u expect people to do, stand there and get whacked to shit? or give swords the ability to do long range attacks o_O
melee means 'close range' in theory, meaning u whack people with large pieces of metal, so if u wanna be a close range tank go ahead, theres nothing stopping u, its ur choice if u do it or not

naimex
19-02-04, 17:59
Originally posted by s0apy
Running from Melee is exploit(?)

Letīs see... a mad man on the loose with a bad ass knife, blade, claw or laserblade..

IT`S COMMON SENSE RUNNING AWAY !!!!

:p :p :p

LTA
19-02-04, 18:00
not to long and loggin into your acc will be an exploit :rolleyes:

Haxxor
19-02-04, 18:02
GIVE MELEE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY POWERFULL RUN DisablING HAND GRANADES :D :D :rolleyes: :) O_o :wtf: :angel: :( :eek: o_O 8| :p :mad: :confused:

Mr_Snow
19-02-04, 18:04
Its a bug that you could be knocking into somebody who is running away yet because of a code bug it does register as a hit, so basically running away renders the person invincible and you with utterly no offense so doesnt that make it an exploit?

Mumblyfish
19-02-04, 18:05
Originally posted by Haxxor
GIVE MELEE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY POWERFULL RUN DisablING HAND GRANADES :D :D :rolleyes: :) O_o :wtf: :angel: :( :eek: o_O 8| :p :mad: :confused:

My IQ... it BURNS!

ezza
19-02-04, 18:06
i see a few people missed the point.

its a netcode problem that you are all exploiting when you run from the melee tank, personally i think its funnier that they run from the melee tank not the fact that its kinda exploit

El_MUERkO
19-02-04, 18:09
Originally posted by cRazy2003
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHA
ROFLMFAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
god that was so funny, what do u expect people to do, stand there and get whacked to shit? or give swords the ability to do long range attacks o_O
melee means 'close range' in theory, meaning u whack people with large pieces of metal, so if u wanna be a close range tank go ahead, theres nothing stopping u, its ur choice if u do it or not

Did you read his full post or did ur brain run out of energy before you got to the second paragraph you total noob.

s0apy
19-02-04, 18:10
Originally posted by ezza
i see a few people missed the point.

its a netcode problem that you are all exploiting when you run from the melee tank, personally i think its funnier that they run from the melee tank not the fact that its kinda exploit

hear hear.

i meant it tounge in cheek, but this is a bug - i can be running directly behind you as you run away, well within range, and slash away to my hearts content and not a single hit will register. as ezza said, this is due to a netcode bug that has the server thinking you were out of range when THE SERVER THINKS the hit landed.

so, as ezza implied, think before replying, or just don't.

metalangel
19-02-04, 18:50
WAH-HAHAHAHA!

That's great, reminds me of Somethingawful's Guide to Counterstrike:

Never buy a good weapon. The AW/M sniper rifle, automatic shotgun, MP5 sub machinegun, and any weapons capable of penetrating skin are shunned by all the skilled Counterstrike players. Attacking your enemy from a distance is cheap, attacking your enemy from behind is cheap, and aiming bullets towards an enemy's head will elicit a collective gasp of horror from the entire CS community and their immediate families. The only way to avoid offending the other players is tossing your starting pistol and charging directly at the enemy with a knife, out in the open, without strafing. Of course, you have to announce your presence to the enemy and attack directly from the front while crouching and spinning around in circles, otherwise it's just cheap.

Vampire222
19-02-04, 18:54
itd be even more ****** if your not allowed to run from melee, thats like uhm here i am, come kill me plz

Artie
19-02-04, 19:03
stand there and get whacked to shit? or give swords the ability to do long range attacks

Sword chucks.

s0apy
19-02-04, 19:04
Originally posted by Vampire222
itd be even more ****** if your not allowed to run from melee, thats like uhm here i am, come kill me plz

like i said - i'm not for a moment suggesting this actually be classed as an exploit, i'd much prefer the bug was just sorted. as you said, it would be insane to require folks to stand and fight with melee instead of trying to run for it, but i'm pointing out the irony that running from a melee user that is directly behind you should be a VERY bad idea, since being sliced continually in the back by a giant claw or laserblade should hurt a lot, as opposed to not at all (as is the situation currently).

anyway, should it ever become the case that damage from an "important" weapon class such as PSI, PC, HC or (lastly i often fear) RC could be defeated simply by running in the opposite direction from which the fire was coming, i suspect the bug would be fixed instead of remaining in-game for literally years.

KimmyG
19-02-04, 19:04
It may be but I cant see a solution other than fixing it. I mean you could say that when someone sees an melee tank they have to crouch and stop and say "Thank you sir may I have another"

s0apy
19-02-04, 19:15
Originally posted by KimmyG
It may be but I cant see a solution other than fixing it. I mean you could say that when someone sees an melee tank they have to crouch and stop and say "Thank you sir may I have another"

no - stay and fight was more what i was hoping for :).

the problem is not with folks spotting an MC from afar and quietly leaving the scene. or being required to squat down and take what's coming to them. the problem is with folks engaging face to face with an MC, feeling like they're about to lose, and then quietly and calmly trotting to the nearest GR/UG while the MC is running 2 inches from their backs, continually slashing away at them, watching little red 50s, 60s, and 100s pop up over their opponents heads, and having not a stitch of that damage register on their health.

basically, i can follow you all over a zone on my tank, watch as over 10,000 points of damage float off your head, but you will never feel a thing. that be the problem.

Darth Slayer
19-02-04, 21:21
:lol: If anyone in there right minds thinks I'm gonna stand and let a melee tank get rightous on me is mad, MAD I SAY MAD.....:D
I'm gonna run away exploit or no exploit.

KimmyG
19-02-04, 21:28
well unless its an NF duel noone is gonna hang about and die if they can escape.

J. Folsom
19-02-04, 21:49
Oooh, look over there son, it's some common sense, oh wait, something's scared it now and when I was just about to shoot and kill it.

Anyway, the official word on getting damage done is that as long the person doing the damage can move in a way he can hit you it's all funky.

So as long as you're targettable, it's no exploit.

Bl@zed
19-02-04, 22:40
thats why thunderbolt needs to be made stronger, like a little less than holy para.

s0apy
19-02-04, 23:09
Originally posted by Bl@zed
thats why thunderbolt needs to be made stronger, like a little less than holy para.

ach no - that'd be horrible. thunderbolt is strong enough - it's small, but enough to make a difference. i'm happy that it screws with your opponents aim a bit, rather than fooks it completely, otherwise it would be a boring fight.

better to just fix the bug.

meantime the thunderbolt may be just enough to slow down your opponent, should he foolishly try and run for it, enough so that you can get alongside them and score a few hits.

lullysing
20-02-04, 00:01
Originally posted by Artie
Sword chucks.

Copbot : Hello citizen, what's on your mind?
Tank : I like guns.

Ulle
20-02-04, 00:09
Yes, running away from Melee Weapons is an exploit, everyone attacked by one must stand still and wait to be hacked down. Obviously.

Anyway, guys, don't bother discussing stupid things like these, the new rules have been brought out for a reason, discussing every little thing is un-needed. You should be able to work out what is an exploit and what is not by the use of something called common sence.

Anyway, seems to of degenerated down to spam.

Thread Closed. There is a discussion about the new rules somewhere or other, I am sure you can find it with use of eyes.