PDA

View Full Version : '][' Neocron OS performance ']['

Mr Friendly
19-02-04, 04:04
question fo joo all.

from ur experience with neocron with diffrent OS's, which would u say worked the best. (only vote if u've used neocron with more than one OS) & by 'worked the best' i mean things like, able to log on & off quickly, less crashes, less syncs, ran faster, etc etc

cuz i know that from usin win 2k: pro then goin to xp....i found stuff with xp:home i didnt like :\ so now im back to win 2k: pro :D

"windows 2000" includes both the reg & the 'pro' edition
"windows xp" includes both 'home' & 'pro' edition

l8a

suler
19-02-04, 04:07
You should put the other older windows versions up as options since they are on a different kernel and probably would have the biggest performance difference.

QuantumDelta
19-02-04, 05:02
98se *KICK* :p

KeithMyath
19-02-04, 05:38
now, im not gonna vote, because i've tried no other OSs, but I use 98se, a riva tnt 2 ultra (old) and an athalon 500, with something like 512mb RAM. i have to say, of all the shit i see on this forum bug-wise, that can be related purely to the system and how well it is running, I havent experienced to much ass-paining. I get at least two infinite synch's (does anyone know what you could do to make these less frequent, id love to know) a night, but other than that, fatals arent that common for me. so i have to say 98se is the shit, 2000 might be better, but then again its probably thinking about alot more other things, while you are playing, than my 98. i say we create an OS soley for neocron, something linux users and MAC users could use as a shell. how bout that?

Mr Friendly
19-02-04, 09:40
is win98se aka win98 plus?...er is that sumthin diffrent?..i remember my dad gettin that cd from his school :\

but neway, id have to say that win xp HOME is prolly muich suckier than win xp PRO considering that how win xp HOME didnt like me adjusting stuff to the network n shit so after the 5th straight boot up & sudden reboot b4 even finishing bootin up...popped in win 2k pro & got sumthin that likes me adjustin stuff :D

Bengalmin
19-02-04, 11:27
win98 was much more stable with neocron than XP (which I'm using now) is

J. Folsom
19-02-04, 11:30
Originally posted by suler
You should put the other older windows versions up as options since they are on a different kernel and probably would have the biggest performance difference. There's a large difference in memory used by the OS itself when comparing the two.

Anyway, from what I've heard from most people, Windows 2000 is generally more stable then XP, probably because it eats up less of your RAM for just running itself.

EDIT: And I didn't vote, as I haven't tried on both myself.

leGit v. 2
19-02-04, 11:31
it should all change in DOY

Elric
19-02-04, 11:32
XPhome is fine for me, so long as ya try n keep it healthy. Relatively regular defrags, General clean up of crap yer not using, keeping it clear of ad-ware / spyware so on and so forth..

and closing off all the uneccesarry process with the task manager before running any games is always a good idea.

Not used NC on other OS's, so I wont vote.

GT_Rince
19-02-04, 11:34
I have now tried:

98se
Win2k Pro
XP Home
XP Pro

Of all of those, the most stable HAS to be XP Pro. 98 crashed all the time, Win 2K I got really shitty FPS andXP Home used to crash just as much as 98se. XP Pro is the only one I had no problems with.

Jeros82
19-02-04, 11:38
I still start Neocron from my MS-Dos 6.22 :lol:

Just kippin'

I think OS doesn't matter much, Neocron still fatals too much :(

Nightbrother
19-02-04, 11:38
I've had best experiences with XP Pro also. XP home crashed NC so much more, for some reason I still havent been able to put my finger on.

Btw, Rincey, please get your old avatar back. That guy scares me. :(

Who is he, btw? ;)

cMz
19-02-04, 12:18
Windows 2000 Professional runs best for me. I have a strange problem logging off/on with XP Pro.

On my Windows 2000 I can switch chars without a full close of the client.
If I try that on XP, I get a "Proxy Server" failure, and have to restart the client.

Omnituens
19-02-04, 13:50
Win2k all the way.

when i had to use winXP pro for a while because my main HD crashed and i didnt have my bootable win2k CD, my FPS was down 20% (that wasnt just in NC either) or more, logging times were longer, syncs took longer.

however, crashing was about the same.

oh, it wasnt the change in HD that caused performance loss, i had 2 identical HDs.

deac
19-02-04, 16:22
98se might be best for frames if you got low mem, but i dont soo xp pro works well :)