PDA

View Full Version : [OT] VCD/ DVD Players(TV) / DivX

QuantumDelta
19-02-04, 00:59
Okie, I have been trying to burn off meh anime since it's litterally destroying my HDDs freespace...

Problem is that I keep having, the VCDs that are produced always come out UPSIDE DOWN on my DVD Player downstairs - I don't get it.

I get the impression the DVD Player doesn't like the DviX Codec but I'm not entirely sure, some of the FMPS1 Series plays on it but the rest of it is upside down.

It IS The DviX Codec, it seems;
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00AsIk

I grabbed Virtual Dub - Baron's comment on AIM was to decompress then burn, probelm is VD isn't the most user friendly program in the universe, I hit ctrl+p to go to the compression thingy, it ..oddly enough already has "uncompressed RGB" selected ..so when I hit ok it doesn't do anything, there's a list of other Codecs there but I don't really wanna play around as my HDD Space is already limited...

Anyone know how to do this?

If it doesn't seem cohesive as a single post it's because it's a copy/paste-very mild edit from another forum (Baron is teh lead techie there :p)

Try to ignore that - anyways...does anyone know any cures to this or how to deal with VD?

Fafhrd
19-02-04, 01:08
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Problem is that I keep having, the VCDs that are produced always come out UPSIDE DOWN on my DVD Player downstairs - I don't get it.

It IS The DviX Codec, it seems;
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00AsIk

I grabbed Virtual Dub - Baron's comment on AIM was to decompress then burn, probelm is VD isn't the most user friendly program in the universe, I hit ctrl+p to go to the compression thingy, it ..oddly enough already has "uncompressed RGB" selected ..so when I hit ok it doesn't do anything, there's a list of other Codecs there but I don't really wanna play around as my HDD Space is already limited...

Anyone know how to do this?

Try just to flip the picture upside down: Video-> Filters -> Add -> flip vertically.

If you really need to recompress the movie, select the codec of your choice at <crtl>+p and play a bit with the quality/bitrate setting. To save the thing, press f7 (save as avi)

QuantumDelta
19-02-04, 01:16
Originally posted by Fafhrd
Try just to flip the picture upside down: Video-> Filters -> Add -> flip vertically.

If you really need to recompress the movie, select the codec of your choice at <crtl>+p and play a bit with the quality/bitrate setting. To save the thing, press f7 (save as avi) That helped to start hehe.
Seems simpler than recompression.
Two more quessies since I've never used this proggie before - I presume I'm hitting F7 and saving it over the current file.

Second question is - do you have any ideas on a better piece of CD burning software than Nero?

edit;
Ahh you edited for the save, ty ;)

Fafhrd
19-02-04, 09:00
I presume I'm hitting F7 and saving it over the current file.

Second question is - do you have any ideas on a better piece of CD burning software than Nero?

edit;
Ahh you edited for the save, ty ;)

Dont save over your file, use a new filename .-)
As for your second question, sorry no idea. But it seems you're not creating a VCD but a CD with divx files on it. Nero should be good enough for it?

QuantumDelta
19-02-04, 09:24
Originally posted by Fafhrd
Dont save over your file, use a new filename .-)
As for your second question, sorry no idea. But it seems you're not creating a VCD but a CD with divx files on it. Nero should be good enough for it? Well in Nero if you select "Data CD" it wont play in the DVD Player..but VCD does...

I managed to get one of the eps done and it looks like it'll work from now on...

Thank you very much for your help :D

Using VD has made me wonder if it'd be usable for making a music video, or is that reserved for Adobe Premiere?

Nice proggie probably have to look deeper into it sometime :)

Thanks again.

suler
19-02-04, 09:29
ok uh there are 2 types of vcds regular and svcd both require the video to be in mpeg at a certain resolution.

The best converter I suggest to use is at http://www.tmpgenc.net/ you just load up the template for which kind you want and then burn it with nero or whatever your burning software of choice is that supports vcd and or svcd burning.

Edit: oh also some dvd players don't support svcds so you might want to check out a compatibility list for your dvd player before burning those and just burn vcds. Svcds are a little higher quality.

Edit again: oh also I guess your dvd plays avis so you are probably burning something different then a vcd or svcd I should of read more I guess but if you want to burn a regular vcd that is how.

Fafhrd
19-02-04, 15:32
Well in Nero if you select "Data CD" it wont play in the DVD Player..but VCD does...

I managed to get one of the eps done and it looks like it'll work from now on...

Thank you very much for your help :D

Using VD has made me wonder if it'd be usable for making a music video, or is that reserved for Adobe Premiere?

Nice proggie probably have to look deeper into it sometime :)

Thanks again.

Hmm, looks like your player doesn't like divx-files. Instead you recode them into vcd and play those. For more pointers regarding creating vcd, take a look here (http://www.digital-digest.com/) (or .here (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/) ).

I've never done more than basic editing (cutting, merging, ...) with virtual dub; for more serious work adobe premiere might the better (and more expensive) choice.

XanX
19-02-04, 15:57
Get a Kiss DVD player from scan and then it will natively read Xvid/Divx/VCD/DVD/Mpeg and more whenever they are released.

Its a very good DVD player and cheap at about 100 English pounds :D