PDA

View Full Version : screw college

Boozbazz
17-02-04, 02:15
I'm moving to some random country because this college shit is so boring. i'm just gonna drop out after reading week is done and work up some cash and get my arse over to germany or australia or amsterdam or something. i got lots of time, but i also have a lot to learn. anybody here know anything about green cards?
can i have a green card for japan and a green card for kuwait at the same time? how do i get one? can i buy one? can i get one over the net? and anybody got any travel advice for a rookie? like what should be the first country i go to? one thats easy to get a job and work up the money for the next trip etc etc. and it cant be america, i want to go someplace i've never been before and try this out. i know i should stay in college but i cant take this anymore! i dont want to be and ANT, i dont want to be a drone just like the rest of these ppl and do this stupid job that we will all hate in 4 years and just fucking draw bluprints all the time!! thats CRAP! i want to LIVE!! now where should i go?? do i need a passport for every country too?

nobby
17-02-04, 02:17
dunno, im only 13

Dribble Joy
17-02-04, 02:18
Why do you assume a job in another country will be any different?

I'd say explore your options first.

Tazo
17-02-04, 02:20
youre fed up of the corporate world, and yet you want to move to germany or japan? dude, those countries are definately NOT better, maybe even worse when it gets down to this.

Spoon
17-02-04, 02:22
I'd go for Option #2 (http://www.frenchforeignlegion.org/default.html)......

Boozbazz
17-02-04, 02:23
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Why do you assume a job in another country will be any different?

I'd say explore your options first.

it's not that i'm assuming that a job in another country is different, that's obvious it's all the same crap, but it's just the feelin of being free, and a way to be able to go out and see the world. a way to experience new things instead of doing this: graduating my program, getting hired in the first year for a petro canada or something, working here in some town and designing pipelines for a living. I'd make a lot of money, i'd have a nice house maybe a wife, kids all that. but i dont want that. maybe later, but the idea is. to go out and explore and cut myself free from things that i am afraid of. i'm AFRAID to leave, i'm AFRAID to fail, i'm afraid that if i don't go get a job like the aformentioned, i will not have a happy life. which i do not agree with entirely. i want to show myself what i really can do. and change, and maybe later i will be satisfied and settle down. but for now i want to enjoy life. i hate what i'm doing right now.

Gotterdammerung
17-02-04, 02:24
Sign up as a deck hand on a merchant ship. You need no skills at all and you'll see alot of the world. Once you've seen enough and think you might like a specific place go back to alberta and emmingate legally. Jump ship in a place like hong kong and get caught, you'll spends lots of time in jail, so go legally.

Dribble Joy
17-02-04, 02:27
Originally posted by Spoon

no no no no no... just no.

//edit

Of all the world's elite fighting forces, none have commanded greater respect or generated such an image of mystery and romance as the French Foreign Legion.

I'm sorry.. omg...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Boozbazz
17-02-04, 02:32
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
Sign up as a deck hand on a merchant ship. You need no skills at all and you'll see alot of the world.

i see where you're going with that but it defeats the purpose, what i am going for is freedom from being tied to things.....like a ship. just to be withought that feeling of being caught on something. i just had this epiphany and came up with this crazy idea of just travelling from place to place, working a different each time and just making enough money to go out at times, and then save up for the next trip when i'm ready to go. it's crazy but no one's really supportive, it's more like people are trying to make me think about it more. but that's not what i should do! remember hamlet? remember how his indecisiveness and lack of action was caused by him thinking about things too much?! in other words i just want to go for it. and if things screw up it's not like its the end of the world, even if i get stuck in some country and have no way out at least i did something. rather just having sat and home and went all the way through school, work and retirement going "oh i can't wait till i get out of here"

Dribble Joy
17-02-04, 02:36
Originally posted by Boozbazz
i just had this epiphany and came up with this crazy idea of just travelling from place to place, working a different each time and just making enough money to go out at times, and then save up for the next trip when i'm ready to go.

No offense, but from here, that sounds REALLY dumb.

In my high overrated opinion, what you sugested above wouldn't really work tbh.

Gotterdammerung
17-02-04, 02:37
drug induced epiphanys, no matter how much you want them to work, rarely ever come to fruition. You could start listening to the grateful dead or phish though. Some of their fans have a lifestyle that matches what you are looking for and seem to be the only ones so far to master the art of seat-o'-the-pants hippydom

Dribble Joy
17-02-04, 02:38
Join the polyphonic spree!!!!

Q`alooaith
17-02-04, 02:38
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
Sign up as a deck hand on a merchant ship. You need no skills at all and you'll see alot of the world. Once you've seen enough and think you might like a specific place go back to alberta and emmingate legally. Jump ship in a place like hong kong and get caught, you'll spends lots of time in jail, so go legally.

Listen to the man..

You can end up seeing the larger world, make a fair bit of cash (though depend's what your doing)...

Just make sure you stay on the up side of the law, you do NOT want to know what the jail's can be like...

Boozbazz
17-02-04, 02:49
BAH! well i guess this is going to be a real interesting ride but i will do it! i'm not a retard or some druggie, i rarely do anything that's illegal. i'm tired of being carefull. the only reason why i entered this program i'm in is because after studying a bit about all sorts of possible careers i find out stuff like this:

#1 i'd have a 96% chance of getting hired in this feild in one year of completion
#2 the nearby college offers the program.
#3 pay can start at around 50K but can go up to 155K annually.
#4 almost everyone in the field, well once they get hired for a good company are set for life.

but what does all that mean? well just like i said before, you got money, you got stability, but your sitting in a fricken office most of the time and leaving work to go spend more money on stupid shit. and the most fun i'd have would be from coming home and checking out http://www.entensity.net/

i wanna surf in my 20's i want to eat a live squid in Japan. i wanna do lots of stuff and i really dont think it's too hard to go for this withought being tied to a career. i am not sure if i'm going to be able to just go ask anyone how to do this. but how did the first person who built a house do it? it's not like someone was there to tell all. you gotta learn, and it's fear that's stopping most people from doing this shit, i don't want to be afraid anymore.

just had this epiphany and came up with this crazy idea of just travelling from place to place, working a different each time and just making enough money to go out at times, and then save up for the next trip when i'm ready to go.

I know that sounds, dumb. it's because (and i'll admit this) i have no idea of what i'm talking about. it's a 1-day old idea, it's because i am just starting to learn about how this stuff works. i will probobally gain a better understanding and have a much more refined base idea once i have some more knoledge about it.

subsys
17-02-04, 03:30
my only advice would be to pick an english language country (uk, new zealand, etc) to start in, makes the whole imigration thing easyer!

the other thing is that permahippys(tm) tend to work on the wrong side of teh law, using cash in hand jobs and not registering themselves anywhere. which is not advisable.

Shujin
17-02-04, 03:34
jus dont even get a job and goto a cheap ass community college / tech school and get assloads of associates degree's

pay for it by applying for financial aid, and ull get it if u dont got a job ;P

and apply for bunch of grants and stuff

that'll give u free money to spend after u pay for college / books so u can sit at home and play NC all day and goto college

and eventually after u take lots of associate degree's eventually start takin some bachlor degree stuff in a higher college and get a job with all those associate degree's u got

kurai
17-02-04, 03:35
Stay at college till the summer (it's not *that* far away ...) then go do the working holiday/travelling thing during the break.

Ask your college about student work/travel stuff - there are literally *hundreds* of organizations that exist solely to help give people in your situation a taste of the world.

At least you have something to come back to if you decide you hate being a shiftless bum after a month or so (*grin*), or alternatively if you *do* like the lifestyle just dont bother coming back.

The key is to give yourself options and always have a fallback plan if things bomb - there's nothing more depressing than painting yourself into a corner and getting stuck, penniless, in a place or situation you fucking hate, but can't get out of.

Boozbazz
17-02-04, 03:38
Originally posted by Shujin
jus dont even get a job and goto a cheap ass community college / tech school and get assloads of associates degree's

pay for it by applying for financial aid, and ull get it if u dont got a job ;P

and apply for bunch of grants and stuff

that'll give u free money to spend after u pay for college / books so u can sit at home and play NC all day and goto college

and eventually after u take lots of associate degree's eventually start takin some bachlor degree stuff in a higher college and get a job with all those associate degree's u got

:wtf: sounds like more work than needed to land a good job.

Originally posted by kurai
...The key is to give yourself options and always have a fallback plan if things bomb...

i like that, it sounds like the best advice i've gotten so far. and yeah maybe i should just wait until the summer because i can say i have at least 1 year of engineering and design/drafting technology. good advice thanks kurai :)

Darak
17-02-04, 03:53
but what does all that mean? well just like i said before, you got money, you got stability, but your sitting in a fricken office most of the time and leaving work to go spend more money on stupid shit.

Its life and you either accept it or find a way around it. However since your personel needs are... well... personel there is no solution that can be provided by others.

I worked for years for other ppl and hated it. I thought more money would help, then i thought being somewhere else would help and in the end i just quit working for other ppl and did things myself - now i'm happy with where i am (it just took 10 years of pissing about the get there). It would not suit most ppl though- living with the inlaws on account of being poor :)

Marx
17-02-04, 03:54

I second this.

Boozbazz
17-02-04, 04:10

hehe i've thought about it and once some of my family pushed me towards joining the air force when i used to live in Arizona but i really can't handle the feeling of being tied down. and haha yeah man that is REALLY a good suggestion, you see lots of cool places and do so many interesting things but sure if it was the fact that i wanted a cool job yeah i'd join the army ( not canadas :lol: ) but that's not it.

Tazo
17-02-04, 05:33
back when i finished college (or the german equivalent of it) there was a girl who traveled down to australia with nothing but a little pocket money and some clothes. she now established a happy life there.

your plan can work, and i encourage you to pursue it further. BUT you should finish college first, so you have at least something to build upon if your plan DOESNT work. what would you rather be if your plan fails, freelance bum that might just as well go shoot himself or college-degree carrying guy who still has all the options? :)

Sorontar
17-02-04, 11:19
One thing is for certain if you do end up with a good job from your course , you will have enough money to take holidays in exotic places.

You can surf on the weekends if you really want to. Having the qualification would give you so many options at the end of the course.

My mate is a aeronautical electrician and he is rarely in one country more than 6 months. He is getting paid a wad of money , he has the best conditions and he gets to trot around the world as a contractor. He regulalrly takes 6 months out of work but is paid so much anyway it doesn't effect him. Lucky bastard

But if you wanna get out of society completely then fair enough , but if you have no plan as to how you are going to provide for yourself in your later years then you are probably going to end up doing 70 hours weeks for a minimum wage in shitty conditions and you may as well be in prison.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide , but I'd personally suggest maximising your options.

Edit- On another note , I knew a couple who were ski instructors and travelled from NZ to the UK visiting countries on their way. They did a lot of ski chalet work , where they would run chalets for a company , cooking for guests etc.