PDA

View Full Version : [OT]Resizing my WinXP partition

Mingerroo
16-02-04, 18:48
OK. So I just went through a long haul of reinstalling my system, XP, 98, Linux and a separate partition for files to share between them... And now I find out that 2Gig for the WinXP bit isn't enough.

Is there a way of resizing that partition whilst keeping all the files in tact? I need to make it bigger without sacrificing all my hard work, and there is more than enough space (about 19.1) on the other partition to split for it.

Steve

Myrlin
16-02-04, 19:32
There are programs for sale that can do that (partition magic comes to mind). Personally I wouldn't trust them and would just reinstall again.

Mingerroo
16-02-04, 19:33
OK cheers :)

Steve

juvestar15
16-02-04, 19:35
I did something similar once.
The program moved all my files to the front of the drive and started partitioning from the back. It worked fine, but still was a risk.

Mingerroo
16-02-04, 20:20
OK, cool. Well seen as I can't be bothered to reinstall everything without first trying partiton magic, I've downloaded it to give it a go.

Steve

•Super|\|ova•
16-02-04, 20:31
Oh man... I'm too late :( You should NEVER resize your partitions without reinstalling windows. Eventually it will just most likely fuck your HDD up.

Mingerroo
16-02-04, 20:44
OK, well I didn't ^^

Instead I've moved the page file of 1gig from my tiny XP drive to my huge storage drive.

THanks for the hint though :)

Steve

Vampire222
16-02-04, 21:01
partition magic pwnz in this sorta situations, buy it, or get it by other means

mystery8
17-02-04, 10:39
I've used Partition Magic many times without problems. The only thing I haven't done yet is resize the partition I actually have WinXP installed on.
But, if you have nothing to lose except for the time to reinstall XP, which you might have to do anyway, go for it :)