PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here quit smokin ?

\\Fényx//
16-02-04, 00:57
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH

im going crazy

its doing my head in bigtime

im tryin to quit smokin after 4 years, nearly 5 of burning cash ....

ive had 3 in the last 4 days, the craving is killing me O_o ive got no fingernails left coz ive bitten them away... ive eaten about 10 biro's O_o and ive picked up this annoying habbit of scratching my desk for some reason O_o

how the hell do you get off something when your so damn addicted and stuck in the habbit of it aswell :(

Lathuc
16-02-04, 01:04
well they say its the hardest the first week or so. so hang in there.

P.S. don't smoke didnt really see the point i have coke and candy for addictions oh and neocrack :Þ

Rimase
16-02-04, 01:05
blame KK.

:wtf:

CR@SH
You gotta find something to kill the craving. Try chewing gum, eating sunflower seeds or something like that. I know when i stopped using tobacco for the first time a big bag of sunflower seeds did the trick. Hard candies are also good. Other than that you might wanna try nicorette or something :o

Hippieman
Buy tons and tons of lollipops.

Nexxy
16-02-04, 01:07
I hadnt smoked for like 3 months till last week. Couldnt take it no more, was so stressed. Dont believe any of that shit people say about smoking being bad for you. All the pain you go through for giving up something that can calm you down and shit isnt worth it =P

Lathuc
16-02-04, 01:11
actually smoking doesn't calm you down or so they say i really wouldn't know tho since i don't smoke

Nexxy
16-02-04, 01:12
not talking about cigarettes...

•Super|\|ova•
16-02-04, 01:13
I should quit but maybe later :rolleyes: after 10 years it's pretty damn hard :(

L0KI
16-02-04, 01:16
Smoking gives you a head rush if u wait a while since ur last one ;)

Its more of an "oh fuck im gonna fall over" feeling for about 10 seconds, then its gone...

I quit smoking 3 days ago also Fenyx, ive had 1 in 3 days, and its driving me crazy too...

I never realised how boring neocron was without having 20 cigs in the space of 6 hours playing...

my friend recommended Amyl Nitrate (liquid gold) o_O

He said, every time u want a cig, wave it under ur nose and inhale............................................

Worth a try? - Ive never tried them!

PS - I havent had weed for 3 months, i became dependant on it to fall asleep at night. Hence, it became addictive for me. Yes, ANYTHING can become addictive.

Xian
16-02-04, 01:17
Originally posted by \\Fényx//

im going crazy

im tryin to quit smokin after 4 years, nearly 5 of burning cash ....

ive had 3 in the last 4 days, the craving is killing me O_o ive got no fingernails left coz ive bitten them away... ive eaten about 10 biro's O_o and ive picked up this annoying habbit of scratching my desk for some reason O_o

how the hell do you get off something when your so damn addicted and stuck in the habbit of it aswell :(

Chewing a pen does it for me, mostly. Although I can't say much because I still smoke a lot every day. :o

I really don't think going straight off them does anything, though. When I first quit I would eliminate days where I was 'allowed' to smoke. Then, when I only had the weekend (including Friday) left, I would only smoke when I had an alcoholic drink, until eventually I just stopped altogether.

'tis hard though, since I've started again. :p

VetteroX
16-02-04, 01:28
how do you get into smoking in the first place? I tried it once, I touched it to my lips and felt like I was gonna throw up... that was it for that...

Gotterdammerung
16-02-04, 01:30
I quit cold turkey after a pack a day habit that lasted 10 years. I waited till there was a holiday with a 3 day weekend. I put in to take the friday before off so for me it was a 4 day weekend. 2 weeks before the holliday I started cutting back. I didn't go to bars or have any alcohol (as we all know if you smoke you want to do it moreso if you are drinking) during that time and by the time the weekend came around I was down to 3 cigs a day. I made sure I had alot of stuff to do like go to the gym often, ride my bike, hit the movie theater in those 4 days, all places/activities where you can't be smoking.

When the weekend was finally over I was cured. It's been 4 years.

Ulle
16-02-04, 01:53
I am with Vet on this one, (Did I _Really_ just say that !?!) I never saw the attraction in the bad smell, bad health, bad cost that smoking would bring. Hence I stayed well away.

Don't give up giving up......I am sure you will be happier in the long run.

L0KI
16-02-04, 02:02
Originally posted by Ulle
I am with Vet on this one, (Did I _Really_ just say that !?!) I never saw the attraction in the bad smell, bad health, bad cost that smoking would bring. Hence I stayed well away.

Don't give up giving up......I am sure you will be happier in the long run.

I think the main reason people start smoking is a tough time...

I started the day i was going on holiday with my girlfriend, yet I had (on the same day) fallen in love with my long time best (female) friend...

I ended it with my Girlfriend ON holiday (what a bastard) then smoked myself stupid, got a tattoo (or 3), and generally fucked up for a while. Havent stopped since.

dr.fish
16-02-04, 02:09
I've been off for a year now :)
One day i just realized all the drawbacks and stoped suddenly.

Well i actually smoke from time to time but not cigarettes

Dade Murphey
16-02-04, 02:21
I've been done smoking for about 4 years now after smoking for 4-5 years...I made up my mind one day to stop and never go back...so I did...good luck stopping...definately try to find things to help keep you busy

Omnituens
16-02-04, 02:27
Fényx, get some to stand next to you, and tell them to punch you in the face everytime you try to light up.

any volenteers? please form an orderly queue :p

just remember to totally destroy any cigs left in the house the night before you quit, like run them under a tape or something.

Possessed
16-02-04, 02:30
Heh... sometimes I think that I'm the only 14 year old in the UK who has never even touched a ciggarette o_O

No interest in even starting, it's just a BS habit, whats the point in even trying it out even though I know I'll never bother taking it up....

Oh and the smell of smoke makes me want to punch someone then throw up.

Tratos
16-02-04, 02:45
Originally posted by Possessed
Heh... sometimes I think that I'm the only 14 year old in the UK who has never even touched a ciggarette o_O

No interest in even starting, it's just a BS habit, whats the point in even trying it out even though I know I'll never bother taking it up....

Oh and the smell of smoke makes me want to punch someone then throw up.

Ay up, 15 here, never even gonna touch a ciggy disgusting habit, i cant understand why people would even start O_o

~Tratos

OpTi
16-02-04, 03:01
i never really started smoking, i just smoked when i was on certain drugs, dunno why but it was just sooooo good having a headrush while already totaly fucked on drugs, stoned off my face and moshing to RATM - bullet int he head in the night club we used to goto :D

Edit: god i miss those days :(

Edit: forgot to say, i never got addicted because i could simply say no and that was it. And i did that for over a year and could always stop myself anytime i wanted.

Omnituens
16-02-04, 03:06
i havent touched a cig for 2 reasons

1) its fucking disgusting
2) im hypersensitive to nicotine (1 person smoking near me will make me really woozy, a group could knock me right out for the count)

Organics
16-02-04, 03:07
Smoked a few ciggies in my life, but never found the idea attractive. Very repulsive habit, can't understand why so many people do it.

Pros:

Stress relief? (BS, all in the mind)

Cons:

Yellow fingertips/nails
Horrible smelling breath
Yellowish teeth
Stinking clothes
Stinking skin
Disease etc

Thankfully, more and more places are turning non smoking, or at least have much bigger non smoking places :)

Divide
16-02-04, 03:28
Id rather die from cancer or emphysema than spend the last 10 years of my life shitting/pissing on myself and forgetting everything, including who people are and where I live.

Fuck old age, Cigarettes are better for your sanity than being 83 years old and dropping a deuce into your adult huggies.

QuantumDelta
16-02-04, 03:34
I'll never start, but I admire those with the power to stop.

ZoneVortex
16-02-04, 03:38
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
I'll never start, but I admire those with the power to stop.

ah yeah, i'm with QD ;)

think about this...everytime you light up in public you're slowly killin the people around you at some point down the road

one of those little 7 year old girls crossing the street next to you could have asthma...she might take a breathe expecting for it to be like every other one she'd ever taken, but with you standing there smoking this time she'll choke instead. sputter...choke...turn red and fall over.

seen it happen

it's happened to me

QuantumDelta
16-02-04, 03:42
My most convincing argument for my parents;
When they were doing out their living room they tried to wash the tabaco stains from the furniture, after they spent 6 hours trying I asked them if they were going to do our lungs next.

They quit a week after :p
Well..still trying.

KramerTheWeird
16-02-04, 03:43
Smoking sucks I did it for just near 6 years. I don't know what triggered me to quit one day I just did. I was in my friend's truck and halfway through a smoke I thought to myself I'll quit, and I didn't have a cigarette after that. For 2 weeks however I puffed cigars and I realized I was fooling myself so I stopped that too. Gum helped me get along without smoking, and drinking didn't affect me.

SypH
16-02-04, 04:10
I quit quitting.

Xian
16-02-04, 04:37
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
one of those little 7 year old girls crossing the street next to you could have asthma...she might take a breathe expecting for it to be like every other one she'd ever taken, but with you standing there smoking this time she'll choke instead. sputter...choke...turn red and fall over.

seen it happen

it's happened to me

Same happened to me, pretty much. I got asthma due to my mothers heavy smoking habit when I was younger, but now I've started smoking myself.

I'm not sure exactly how I started... I think I took a cigarette from a friend when I was feeling incredibly depressed and stressed and haven't stopped since.

Originally posted by Omnituens
Fényx, get some to stand next to you, and tell them to punch you in the face everytime you try to light up.

any volenteers? please form an orderly queue

A friend of mine did that with slaps. Needless to say he ended up with a face like a baboons arse. :D

[SP]Ostrich
16-02-04, 08:36
I started due to a tough time... family troubles, along with mother having breast cancer... i should quit... but eh.

Nash_Brigham
16-02-04, 08:50
I quit 6 months ago, cold turkey. It's not really that hard. After the first three days, the actual craving is gone and the rest of it is just psychological.

gostly
16-02-04, 08:57
i only smoke cigs when im high or drunk...so then, it doesnt really matter...cuz i dont care about it enough to continue while im sober...

SorkZmok
16-02-04, 09:09
I quit smoking once. About 5 years ago. Went from 3 packs a day down to none. And it wasnt even a problem.

But all that changed was that i wasted more money on other stuff and got fat. So after about 1 and a half year i started it again. o_O Now im lean again but can't run more than 100 metres before i break down lol

At least i dont smoke as much as i used to anymore. :)

Vid Gamer
16-02-04, 09:20
I am better in PvP after I smoke a joint. :cool:

•Super|\|ova•
16-02-04, 09:23
Originally posted by Organics
Smoked a few ciggies in my life, but never found the idea attractive. Very repulsive habit, can't understand why so many people do it.

Pros:

Stress relief? (BS, all in the mind)

Cons:

Yellow fingertips/nails
Horrible smelling breath
Yellowish teeth
Stinking clothes
Stinking skin
Disease etc

Thankfully, more and more places are turning non smoking, or at least have much bigger non smoking places :)

There is one Pro that ought to be added on that list... it's the social side of smoking. It's alot easier to hit on a girl or just start go and start talking to any stranger; just go and ask for a light and there you have your opening line... the silence breaker ;)

But hey, I'm not that stupid... I still agree on the fact that smoking is for bad. I think I'll try to quit when my school is done so I don't have this shit to worry about called graduation. I've alraedy been 1½ months without any alcohol and that's an achievemnt for me. Drinking alcohol is national thing here in Finland but I'm going to loose it as much as I can ;)

SorkZmok
16-02-04, 09:27
Originally posted by Vid Gamer
I am better in PvP after I smoke a joint. :cool: Haha, its alcohol for me. Up to the 10th or so beer, my speed and accuracy increase with each one.
But after that they drop drastically with every next beer. :p :p

Vid Gamer
16-02-04, 09:28
Hehe, me and my Tank both like to "drug up" before a fight. :lol:

aKe`cj
16-02-04, 09:54
I am tryin to quit smokin after 4 years .... ive had 3 in the last 4 days,

Thats not the way to quit... I've been a heavy smoker for 5 almost 6 years and managed to quit via cold-turkey. The important thing is to get something that replaces your old habit of lighting up a cig whenever you get bored or uncompfortable. In my case that was a bottle of still water and shi*-loads of chewing-gum. And the other ppl are right...the physical battle is fought within a few days of zero(!) nicotine ...the rest is just cleaning up those old habits...and smoking a few cigs or even just one a day wont help!

eric-the-ded
16-02-04, 10:05
dude..
i quit smoking all the time.
it's easy.

no seriously..
the time i successfully quit i used this method.
plan for a weekend or a holliday.
stay up till you're completely out of cigarettes.
hide your lighter and ashtrays. (just put them somewhere out of sight)
then sleep.
sleep for a long long time.
like 12 or so hours.
when you're ready to get up you'll be all fuzzy brained from oversleeping and you can more easily ignore your cravings.
after that first day it gets easier.

after a few days the cravings stopped.
i could even be around other smokers without killing anyone.
i stayed cig free for 3 months till my gf forced me to start again.
aparently i'm an asshole when i have no nicotine in me.
honestly i had no idea.. i thought i was behaving normally.
she could no longer tolerate me.
it honestly wasn't my idea to sart again.
i even argued against it.
but she said "either you start smoking again or you get the hell out"
btw.. she had quit with me that time, so maybe the cravings were still getting to her.
or i really am an intollerable asshole.

Spencer Leone
16-02-04, 10:13
Originally posted by Nexxy
not talking about cigarettes...

:lol: I know what he's talking about! He he he he. Well at least i think so since i don't smoke cigarettes either.

Edit: Upon further viewing of this thread i've seen some posts of people thinking smokin at the age of 14 is something rarely seen... Lol, visit Shrewsbury in England i started smoking pot at the age of 14 :lol:

But cigarettes are a no no

•Super|\|ova•
16-02-04, 10:31
Originally posted by Spencer Leone
:lol: I know what he's talking about! He he he he. Well at least i think so since i don't smoke cigarettes either.

Edit: Upon further viewing of this thread i've seen some posts of people thinking smokin at the age of 14 is something rarely seen... Lol, visit Shrewsbury in England i started smoking pot at the age of 14 :lol:

But cigarettes are a no no

Don't get this wrong but STFU about those things if you don't want this thread to be closed.

Xylaz
16-02-04, 10:48
bah, it's difficult to generalize what is easy and what's not. Some people will quit in a day or two, the other ones need a year to finally make it, and... well some will probably never make it at all (like me for example)

What i can advice is that the most important factor is to organize your time so u could not think about smoking. Also physical training can do wonders - try some body builiding gym or jogging or something like that. It will relieve some stres and at the same time give u something to do for awhile.
Also, i've heard that sunflower seed can do wonders either, not sure about that though

anyway, hope it will help
and good luck

az

Spencer Leone
16-02-04, 10:50
And that is why it's all so pood up. Until open discussion/opinion of drugs is made worldwide legal everything about these bannable offences will be misleading *sigh*

Anyway i'll keep quiet about it now lol

Apocryphal
16-02-04, 11:45
I quit overnight after smoking for 10 years.

Of course it was easy when I was told I had Cancer :(

Nothing like being scare shitless to do something that would be next to impossible under normal situations.

Been 3 years now clear of smoking as well as the Cancer :)

So hang in there.

Hugo1978
16-02-04, 12:33
I think its now 10 years since my first cig and i still smoke.
I often calculated the money that i waste each year for cigs and get sick of the amount :D
I live in germany and cigs gonna get more expensive in the next weeks. As soon as say increase the prices of cigs, i want to quit smoking.
I just hope its not as difficult to quit smoking as you say, Fényx.;)

Sleawer
16-02-04, 12:46
I started smoking at 14 years old.
At 18 I joined the Navy.
Now I dont touch a cigar from 5 years ago.

Dont know how to say in english...

Sports>Smoking

Ascension
16-02-04, 12:50
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
im going crazy

Least its not doin ya lungs in anymore;)

YoDa-UK
16-02-04, 13:20
Fen, dont give in the those nasty cigs, I gave up over 2 years ago, I just got that fed up with the cost/smell and taste that i just stopped, didnt need pens, or chewing gum or anything, just stopped, had cravings for about 2 weeks if that and have never looked back since, guess i got a low of willpower for that.

Pack cigs in m8, you know its not worth the crap that comes with em, besides saving cash from those can get you another game or another account on nc :wtf: hmm maybe not lol

Anyway keep at it m8, you can win

numb
16-02-04, 13:30
I _have_ to use the patches when I give up. It costs money but it helps take your mind off things. Although it still seems impossible when you're out drinking (at which point i rip the patch off, start smoking + then get annoyed with myself the next day). I had to give up two years ago as I had something wrong with my chest. I still smoke from time to time, especially over holidays + then it's just as bad giving up again.

One thing that was suggested to my friend by one of these 'give up smoking' helplines was when you're out, drink something different than normal because you associate the smoking with the drink you normally have. Sounds like good advice. Maybe you can phone them up?

It is not a good idea to just smoke when you're out, as within no time you have a cig the next day if you have some left over and that leads to maybe some the following day + so on.

bounty
16-02-04, 13:44
My dad quit after smoking for 32 years. He smoked 2 1/2-3 packs a day. We had been trying to get him to quit for years, nothing worked. He tried the patch, nothing helped. Finally just one day he said he was going to and he hasn't since. My dad has ZERO willpower, so if he can do it anyone can. He did use the patch to at least lower the cravings, but it truly was an issue of mind over matter that time. He knew he could do it.

Me personally, i smoked a few times in high school cause at parties all the ladies were doing it and i thought it would make me "cool." Then a few months later I was smoking with a friend who started about the same time i did, and we both asked why we took it up...At that we both just flicked out our cigarettes and I don't think either have us have touched one since.

I have one maybe once every 6 months when i'm out at a bar, but the next morning i smell my hands and am reminded as to why i quit.

BramTops
16-02-04, 13:55
STOP BITCHING ABOUT MY ONLY *REAL* SWEET-BURNING-FRIENDS!!!

Please!!!!

Dont......

want....

to..

stop...

Clyde
16-02-04, 17:21
I've been telling myself i would quit for about a few months and after i read this post yesterday day i said fuck it time to do it. So i havent had a smoke in about 12hrs or so and its kinda not all that bad i i would thought, its just weird cause its like i have this urge to put something to my mouth but eating sweets dont seem to help it, I've already smashed a half box of reese cereal and about 5 caprisuns.

Whats even more sillier is i have a half pack of smokes infront of me just sitting there begging me to light up. OOOo look at that theres a lighter right next to it. lol im goin crazy. Ill try to hold out another day to see if i should go straight cold turkey or lower the ammount i smoke first to about 1-2 cigs a day. right now i was at about a pack a day.

Clownst0pper
16-02-04, 17:34
19 and never had a drag of a cigarette.

That Sad? Or is that good going?

superfresh
16-02-04, 17:37
From what I've heard, it takes about 2 weeks to get through the physical addiction, after which time your body becomes less "confused." It's quite likely that you will get sick during this period (cold, flu, etc).

There is no time frame on the mental addiction, since it depends on how well you can replace all the activities you've come to associate smoking with.

The process of your lungs cleaning themselves out takes like 7 months.

So if you're gonna quit, better sooner than later.

Good luck :)

Clyde
16-02-04, 17:37
i would consider that sad, simply because everyone should experience things when theyre young and its not like crack lol, you dont get addicted to it your first hit, it takes time and usually when you start making habits of when you smoke, like me for example, when i work on music, wake up and after i eat are set instone times where i must have a cig

Clownst0pper
16-02-04, 17:38
i would consider that sad, simply because everyone should experience things when theyre young and its not like crack lol, you dont get addicted to it your first hit, it takes time and usually when you start making habits of when you smoke, like for me for example, when i work on music, wake up and after i eat are set instone times where i must have a cig

For all I know, one drag and I could be hooked on a habit which costs loads and fucks up your body.. :confused:

Clyde
16-02-04, 17:42
thats crack lol. most people who starts smoking cigs experiences either group peer-pressure, stress or they just say fuck it and blaze up to try something new. for me it was that last one and probly from living in a enviorment with other people smoking, when i was younger i looked up to my brother and he smoked so i would steal his butts and smoke them outside behind this one tree. I dunno guess its all that

BramTops
16-02-04, 18:38
http://flop.en.eresmas.com/cigarettes.jpg

hmmm... maybe I should stop smoking to....

ghandisfury
16-02-04, 18:46
This helped me alot.

http://www.quitnet.com/qn_gizmo.jtml?q_feature=6

KuifJe
17-02-04, 00:02
Originally posted by Clownst0pper
19 and never had a drag of a cigarette.

That Sad? Or is that good going?

Good going, shit about trying stuff when you're young sux.

Started @ 14 and still going strong after nearly 14 years, stopped for 3 days in that period.

I agree with Divides post coz I'm a smoker, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone tho.

Doc Holliday
17-02-04, 00:25
i smoked now for let me see. 15 yrs old so 8 years. i have quit 3 times in 8 years. each time for diff reasons and went back after a couple months. im at the stage now where i can go out smoke if i want to. if i dont i ignore it and not bother. i smoke the occassional cigarrette if i drink. but its down to choice. i dont smoke at work. i dont smoke at home in the evenings. maybe weekends if i go out or get a few beers in. works for me. one good way of getting over the first couple days craving by the way guys. the flu. get it so bad if u even try smoking it will fuck u more than your first cigarrette. thats how i stopped last time.

Necrosadistic
17-02-04, 00:29
I started smoking to wean myself off weed... Never realised it was nicotine in the joints i was addicted to... so now have a 20 a day cig habit...

Once i almost quit, it was when I spent a couple of weeks drinking all the time, and smoking on a hangover was shit for me... But I was about to go to a festival and did not want to spoil it with cravings...

My band have been thinking about making a stop smoking pact, as we all chain smoke at gigs and rehearsals... Maybe if they do it too I can stop...

Ormy
17-02-04, 01:42
I have a smoke 3 or 4 times a week (cigs and otherwise). But i eat lots and keep in pretty good shape. They calm me down and help me relax when im stressed, but i dont think 3 or 4 a week is enough to fuck me up too bad. I have lots of willpower tho, if i had to stop completely for some reason i wouldn't find it a problem.

G.0.D.
17-02-04, 01:46
My grandfather quit smoking

He died. . . :(

Clyde
17-02-04, 01:56
ya atm i cant smoke anyways cause i got a bad sore throat, ill probly have it for the next week and yesterday when i tried to smoke, it wasnt even worth the pain. I think ill just lower my smoke count to 1 a day or something

Scarus
17-02-04, 02:19
I've never tried smoking, and I'm not about to.

At 15 years old most people I know smoke but it just seems like a total waste of time and a stupid choice, also if i smoke my girlfriend will leave me so yeah theres a good reason to quit before i begin!... But I hope everyone who is trying has success, I'm sure it'll be better in the long run (even if you do murder some stranger smoking next to you one day :angel: )

-Scarus

Clyde
17-02-04, 02:50
so basically your saying that me and my girl, dude here made a stupid choice in smoking? I mean if you really think about it, whatdoes it actually do? kill you? heh your gonna die anyways and probly alot sooner than getting cancer or something from smoking.

Scarus
17-02-04, 03:16
I said seems.. to me, since i havnt smoked it would...

But I would preffer to not add more factors to my untimely death thank you :)

-Scarus

Marx
17-02-04, 03:41
Originally posted by Divide
Fuck old age, Cigarettes are better for your sanity than being 83 years old and dropping a deuce into your adult huggies.