PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help please

VetteroX
15-02-04, 09:56
Ok... well, its been about a year, its that time again... every 8 months-year my comp just gets totaly screwed and i have to reformat... I was playing NC, froze, rebooted, and it said "because of some stupid BS windows is unable to start properly blah blah" I tried messing around in safe mod but even that was freezing... ive reformatted my computer a bunch of times but before it always have a high school/college freind who was really good with computers do it... and they arent around now. Im going crazy, call me a nerd I dont care but I gotta get back into NC and everything else the computer brings asap... so, whats the steps for reformatting again? First install win xp, then reboot, then press um... F4 or something? then it gives you some choises, and you picj quick reformat or long reformat or something, then it finishes, restart again, windows installs, u pick a buch of easy options, then its just a matter of installing video, sound etc. Can someone clear up the reformating for me and give me tips on what options to pick? Im gonna go for 1 partitican on my hd, but theres two choieses of what type, one more stable and on faster or something... right? and theres some other stuff... So can someone give me the noobs guide to reformatting a computer as fast and safly as possible for windows xp pro plz?

This shit ALWAYS happens at the worst time... always, without fail.. no freinds are answering the phone (asleep) and nobody on aim either... someone help me out plz.

YoDa-UK
15-02-04, 10:11
I used to have to format every 30 days vet, so i know how you feel, always at the worst time, ok here goes:

Windows XP should be a CD only boot, no little floppy disks needed, what you do is reboot your computer and go into your BIO before it boots up XP "hitting DEL" now in BIO you have a boot seqence or something like that, go into that and make sure you disable your hardrive boot up, leave it only booting from your CD-ROM, then save those settings and exit BIOS, now have your XP CD in the drive and reboot again, this will "hopefully" kickstart the cd and give you the install options, read through what comes up on screen carefullly and make sure to do a fresh install of XP, "do not do the repair option" then it will take you through a series of options and formatting is one of them, not sure if im correct but i used the NSTF or something like that option on a long format, then just install XP as per normal with your keyboard and shit settings, whatever comes up.

After XP is installed and you got your desktop, rebooting again and then back into BIOS, re-activate your HDD to boot first, then save and exit and bingo your sorted, after that its just drivers and software for games etc.....

Thats how i do it, should be the same sort of thing for any XP user.

Hope this helps.

VetteroX
15-02-04, 10:19
thx, well, here goes.

\\Fényx//
15-02-04, 10:20
Basically if things are fucked up that bad and your using winXP do this

Put winXP CD in CD ROM
Hit the restart button
Press ENTER when it says "Press Enter to boot from CDROM"
Your into the windows setup.
Chose a partition that you want windows on, then delete that partition.
Reformat the drive to NTSC
After that it goes into the windows installation
Press next a few times, go get a coffee... do whatever, its pretty auto from here
After that lot you should be into windows, youll need to update windows so that you dont get the blaster worm or any other nasties
now you can reinstall everything and youll probably notice the system running a little faster then it was just before it crashed out.

g0rt
15-02-04, 11:12
its called windows

microsoft made windows just like a vehicle. it degrades over time. no matter how much care you put into windows, EVENTUALLY you are going to need to format to get rid of all the little irks in it. why? because rooting them all out and fixing them all would take 50 times longer then wiping and reinstalling.

microsoft did this because they are a bunch of twats, to be completely honest. they want windows to break down as often as possible so people feel compelled to upgrade to the NEWER windows,and whent hey do they think OH GREAT THIS NEW WINDOWS ROXXORS because it actualyl WORKS properly at first, but not because its actually better...only because its a fresh install. eventually that copy will die too.

ever wonder why unix systems, linux systems, bsd systems, apple systems, DOS systems, etc etc all work fine and always work fine without a format or anything else of the such? and windows ALWAYS needs to be whiped and reinstalled on some certain interval, depending on how good care you take? its not a coincidence my friends....microsoft is just a bunch of ripoff artists thats all.

___T-X____
15-02-04, 11:48
Fdisk

Spex
15-02-04, 11:57
Well, no. Last time I reinstalled my Windows was ages ago ... a couple years I think. Installing and deinstalling software will wear your Windows down in no time, especially if it is software which messes around in the base system stuff. Part of the problem is the Registry, which never forgets and has to be cleaned manually (or with the help of tools ... but they register in the Registry ... ah damn, an endless circle! :lol: )

Btw. an 100% safe way to fuck up every Windows is by moving a PCI card from one slot to the next ...

If you reinstall Windows, be sure you wiped the harddisk clean (formatted/repartitioned) before that. Windows' setup will reuse the old Registry if it finds an existing Windows on a drive, which means your shiny new installed Windows will react fucked up like before the install ...

VetteroX
15-02-04, 13:06
ok, well I think I isolated the problem... In safe mode I tried reinstalling sound and video... after sound it froze... i reformatted, installed video drivers, then during sound driver installation the computer froze, and I rebooted... windows broken again, reformatted reinstalled, tried diff sound drivers, froze, windows broken reformatted pulled sound card out, ive reinstalled windows, and tommrow im getting a new sound card... if it still fucks up, Im geting a new computer... this one is about 26 months old now, time fore a new one anyway... I'll salvage the cdrw and whatever else that hs no possibilty of causing the problem, and that will be that i suppose.

cRazy2003
15-02-04, 14:15
Originally posted by VetteroX
Im going crazy, call me a nerd I dont care

nerd :p

in the other note i really dont have a clue