PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person that hates the Character Planner?

Nvidia
15-02-04, 08:17
A good friend and I were chatting today...

And he was like, "Remember how we used to go through damage percentages and requirements on armor and stuff like that? Back in the days before that stupid character planner?"

That comment got me thinking... and now that I have had time... I've finally decided that I hate that character planner. Back before everyone and their mom used it... it took skill to plan a character setup that could rock for PvP. It wasn't spoon-fed to you on a plate, and working on a setup that took longer than 5 minutes usually benefited you, and put you a notch over the top of the average runners.

Not to mention the HUNDREDS of posts on these forums talking (and showing) about the most useless, un-thoughtful, half-arsed setups possible.

So, am I the only one that thinks this way?

Just had to get that off my chest, sorry.

KramerTheWeird
15-02-04, 08:22
Statistics and comprehensive mathematical formulas and equations sure take the fun out of a game. Diablo II was bloated with that crap, there was no mysticism. It removes the sheen and magesty a game can have and turns it into some analyitical intricate spreadsheet of numbers and calculations.

SorkZmok
15-02-04, 08:24
I worked out all my chars myself. Well i got some help but in the end, my chars and especially my spy got MY setups.
I use the char planner to check my possibilities or perfect setups but i never actually use setups from that thing. Its just a nice help.

Haha, about my spy i gotta say this:
MY spy pwns!!11 OMG yes he does, i tried my PE, he is nice but with my spy i can kill ppl who hardly take dmg from my PE!

RAWR!!

FatDogg
15-02-04, 09:32
Originally posted by KramerTheWeird
Statistics and comprehensive mathematical formulas and equations sure take the fun out of a game. Diablo II was bloated with that crap, there was no mysticism. It removes the sheen and magesty a game can have and turns it into some analyitical intricate spreadsheet of numbers and calculations.

whatever do you mean? my amazon had 660 Increased attack speed which made her shoot an arrow every 5 frames, and had 305 enhanced damage, and stacked 200 poison, fire, lightning, and cold. With 1225 attack rating I never missed even against the highest armors.... fun with math? nooo.....

Possessed
15-02-04, 15:09
I despise that character planner...

People are too lazy now days... look how much people bitched when rez was adjusted... a year ago (and longer ago) we never got rezzed! !11!!!111 if you died you died, simple as that.

Dade Murphey
15-02-04, 15:28
The character planner is nice...it allows people who don't have the time or resources to at the least find a nice place to start with thier character and get some sort of idea how he *may* turn out in the end...and over all can help balance the playing feild for PvP becuase, hopefully, the gap between so-called "Uber setups" and everyone else won't be so big...it's good that some people have plenty of time to waste doing nothing but perfecting their character's setup...but not everyone can...

Chaplin
15-02-04, 15:38
Originally posted by Nvidia
Back before everyone and their mom used it... it took skill to plan a character setup that could rock for PvP.

read: I used to rock, now everyone rocks and i hate that.

I mean come on, take it like a man. The skillmanagers wont disappear and in the end the are "lying" anyways.
testing + experience > skillmanager

Omnituens
15-02-04, 15:52
only reason i hate the char planner is because it doesnt work on my machine

but with the current LOM system you have to get it right, or its going to cost ya in time and money.

Mingerroo
15-02-04, 15:53
I'm proud to say I have never used the character planner, I just set myself a task, such as droner, and keep tweaking as I level to try and get the best setup possible. That's most of the fun for me.

It is a shame that character planners exist, there should be more variation so that the key point about a character is how well it works for you.

Steve

Omnituens
15-02-04, 15:58
i never used one for my hybrid setup. i was well chuffed with his setup until they nerfed it.

i had a fiddle about with one for a new PE, but i cant yuse the best ones as they need res of above 800x600 in order to be fully functional :(

FatDogg, there is a slight difference between NC items and D2 items; D2 items can be slightly different, different modifiers and even things like duribility can very between the most basic armours. In NC all Holy Spirit Vest gives the same resists, and all similar level PA gives the same bonuses.

Lucjan
15-02-04, 16:11
Originally posted by Chaplin

testing + experience > skillmanager

As long this remain true I dont have a problem with skillmanagers. Besides, you need experience and testing for the skillmanager to be really usefull for designing setups, if not you just get a setup that is avarage at best.

I do admit skillmanagers takes something away from the game, but then there are just too many ppl who just dont have the time to work it out step by step and we have to consider that too.

Dribble Joy
15-02-04, 16:18
As with all tools, it's how you use it and knowing what it can do that determines performance.

Balancing hp to resists and knowing how much in a stat affects items to what extent is essential, in order to get the most out of it.

Clyde
15-02-04, 19:25
all it does is take the formula that lupus posted awhile back and makes it easier to figure out stuff. people are always going to create a easier way of doing things and itll always be like that.

Marx
15-02-04, 19:27
I miss piling all my excess con points in energy so as a CS tank wouldn't be able to kill me...

:lol:

Yeah, I liked the game earlier on (although I still like it, odd sentence =/ ) - back in the day when the good players were the ones who actually took time to school themselves on resistances and such while everyone else was just a meatsheild.

Now, it's harder and harder to find a good meatsheild.

:(

KimmyG
15-02-04, 19:33
Before it was a long time with a note pad calculating shit out and it took forever I dont want that its like doing school work. Who cares if it gives a few nibs a good setup good for it, winning in this game shouldn't be cause someone sppent months doing calculations.

dem0n
15-02-04, 19:47
fallout I/II/T char planner > anything else.
nuff said.

Clyde
15-02-04, 22:27
Originally posted by Marx
back in the day when the good players were the ones who actually took time to school themselves on resistances and such while everyone else was just a meatsheild.

:(

lol, nope. The only "good" players that had the master resists was the idiots that ran to test server to test theyre resists out, which is supposely agianst the TS rules unless its called for (like the current patch needs gun dmg test). So im sorry but i dont agree with you on thay one. Resists should be complicated but not to where it takes months just to make it perfect.

QuantumDelta
15-02-04, 22:31
My oppinion is a bit odd with this one;
I like the skill manager because it allows others to get closer to where I am in terms of the game.

I dislike the char planner because it allows others to get there whilst they're stupid to how the game works.

What Lucjan said is true, though, experience will always allow others to design better setups than those without the experience.

Hmmmmmmm.......
The intro of the char planner only made one change to me;
The speed at which I can output setups :p
Resists/etc barely changed to me...

But... I do enjoy the fact that the world is a little more competative, I just hate the fact that most of the people who got there didn't work for it.
Which is why I never post REAL setups, just suggestions with the possibility of people learning from them :p

Possessed
15-02-04, 22:33
Originally posted by Clyde
lol, nope. The only "good" players that had the master resists was the idiots that ran to test server to test theyre resists out, which is supposely agianst the TS rules unless its called for (like the current patch needs gun dmg test). So im sorry but i dont agree with you on thay one. Resists should be complicated but not to where it takes months just to make it perfect.

Not everyone did that, and it still took [i]time[i], a shitload of time actually, and it doesn't take months to get good resists, no one said that you needed perfect resists, just servicable ones. Resists, are in my opinion, one of the reasons why NC is/was so addictive, because you actually had to put in a bit of effort to get half decent ones.

SypH
15-02-04, 23:11
I used the skill manager to roughly plan how I wanted my PE to be, but I've deviated so far from the origional setup I might as well not have used it. Its a help to those of us who havent the time to sit and work out every single setup, but its not the be al and end all of creating your own ideal set up.

Marx
15-02-04, 23:56
Originally posted by Clyde
lol, nope. The only "good" players that had the master resists was the idiots that ran to test server to test theyre resists out, which is supposely agianst the TS rules unless its called for (like the current patch needs gun dmg test)

Which falls into 'schooling themselves about resists'.

:wtf:

So im sorry but i dont agree with you on thay one. Resists should be complicated but not to where it takes months just to make it perfect.

Its not complicated as it is now, its just before the release of skillguides and such, most people wouldn't be assed to bother. They would just go and use what worked for them... hence why there were so many 'ubar 1337 setups' that were floating around before.

Glok
16-02-04, 00:05
I remember when MeGaMaN posted his setup (evading ban to do it)... everyone laughed at him and thought it was shit.

wun
16-02-04, 02:35
the skill manager helps but that's it... you still need the experience of the game...

only after serious thought and speakin to other ppl about their experiences..many loms.. to add a point or take it away.. and even using the skill manager it took a while (my pe char is about 3 months old now.. still got 1 lvl of con to go... *sigh* i am lazy..) to get my setup to what i consider satisfactory...

i am sure if others looked at it... they would probably be able to pick holes in it.. but i'm happy...

but the experiece is neccessary... i was so surprised that when someone made a suggestion that the change of one imp can have such an effect...

Q`alooaith
16-02-04, 02:50
it's a love hate thing..

I never use it, I'm lothed to use any program outside of neocron to help improve my neocron skill's and stuff...

It's good as less people ask me how to spec their con.. It's bad because people spec their con but don't "know" their con setup..

I know my setup, great fire and energy resist's, ok posion resist (well none are good above 50, but for my level they are damned good and higher than most), but also my runspeed and health is enough so I'm not a snail and the first burst don't take my leg's out.. I know my weaknesses, I know what to do and what to change and when to better withstand damage and a fight..