PDA

View Full Version : [OT]Networking Win98 and winXP

Mingerroo
15-02-04, 00:45
Hiya.

I'll jump straight to the point on this one, I have an XP machine that has been on other networks and so on and so forth, and have recently connected it to a router to access the net (as opposed to before when it was a direct connection).

I have just connected another machine in my house, a win98 machine, to the same router. Both the machines can access the net fully, but only the XP machine can see it's network computers, and then only sees itself.

The win98 machine on the other hand, gives an error saying I should check out network trouble shooting (which seems to be broken). So I was just wondering if anyone knows what I have to do to the 98 machine to get them to see each other.

Oh, and they are on the same workgroup name "family".

Steve

Scikar
15-02-04, 01:07
If you run the network setup wizard on the XP computer, you can then get it to create a setup floppy for the 98 comp which you can run there and let windows cover everything for you. I haven't had any problems with this in the past networking my win98 machine to two winXP machines, I was able to view and transfer files between all 3. Unfortunately I've now cannibalised the win98 machine and it's waiting for some new parts, at which point I'll install winXP on it, so I can't test anything out for you any more. :p

Mingerroo
15-02-04, 01:25
lol. Trust my computer to have a broken floppy drive :( The win98 one has a working floppy drive, just the XP machine is a Frankenstein's monster of the desktop computing world :D

Any other solutions?

Steve

Xian
15-02-04, 02:04
As far as I can tell Scikar is talking about the Network disc creator that Windows uses in Network setup. You can create a CD as well as a floppy for it.

Mingerroo
15-02-04, 02:07
Awesome. Thanks guys :)

Steve