PDA

View Full Version : CRC Error? WTF?

Omnituens
14-02-04, 10:49
OK, I moved the pak files to my root dir so i could share them between my retail and test install.

then both my installs become unstable, the sound fucked up and kept on stalling the game, and making this awful crackling noise.

I found out the error. i tried to copy the paks back to the dir (to see if that fixed it) and i got a CRC error in the sound.pak. i reinstalled NC to get a fresh copy of this file. then i copied the file into the root again, and low and behold, when i tried to copy to another dir i get a nice CRC error again (but since i copied it i still have the orginal)

so heres the question

WTF IS UP WITH THIS?

only this file does it, all the others copy fine. has anyone else had this problem?

shodanjr_gr
14-02-04, 11:04
Im not sure that u can share pak files between TS and retail.

They prolly get different changes each patch and thus end up being different files...

extract
14-02-04, 12:11
Originally posted by shodanjr_gr
Im not sure that u can share pak files between TS and retail.

They prolly get different changes each patch and thus end up being different files...

actually that is the way they tell you to install TS is to share retails pak files, however youre supposed to take the pak files out before patching each instance of NC.....

shodanjr_gr
14-02-04, 12:21
Originally posted by extract
actually that is the way they tell you to install TS is to share retails pak files, however youre supposed to take the pak files out before patching each instance of NC.....

ahh i see....

well bummer, i just keep 2 installations :)

Omnituens
14-02-04, 13:33
the .pak files are not touched by the patches

that why they can be shared

Agent L
14-02-04, 13:44
Only terrain.pak can be shared, it is not altered by pathing and can be found directly on 2nd CD. So easiest and most secure way is to just copy it from cd to HDD root.
But if files are getting fuxored just by copying them it coud be smth wrong with your HDD. Run surface scan, check cables/setup and try a file with simmilar size like divix if it get broken too.

Elric
14-02-04, 15:02
CRC error = Cyclic Redundancy Check Error.

Yer file is corrupt. its that simple.

Originally posted by Agent L

But if files are getting fuxored just by copying them it coud be smth wrong with your HDD

Memory faults can cause that problem too.

Omnituens
14-02-04, 15:34
it is only that file that is doing it, and only when i move it to the root dir

i have run scandisk, no errors

Agent L
14-02-04, 19:57
yeah, I forgot about RAM

normal scan won't show media error, have you ran thorough one, with surface scan, that which tooks few hrs on big disks? ; P

Hmm, and about crc error, is that realy file damaged or maybe NC calculates crc wrong. Comparing file with CD2 orginal will show it.