PDA

View Full Version : Vegatation detail excellence

Gestra
14-02-04, 06:34
Without vegation

http://www.otiose.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/shot0217.jpg

and with vegation

http://www.otiose.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/shot0218.jpg

It would be cool if vegation was on all the time, would add tactical elements and such and ability alone to hide in the vegation is cool.

Shame it completely destroys frame rate though.

extract
14-02-04, 07:22
yea I once had the chance to play on my friends computer, I installed the game and my first trip out in the wastelands was killer, I never even knew vegetation existed lol, my computer even with the shit on high like refuses to show it.............

and I had that same thought, how much more cooler it would be if you could actually like hide in grass and snipe people.....

MegaCorp
14-02-04, 07:36
Well i keep vegetation off because the implementation sucks.

Turn it on and too much of the vegetation is a solid barrier that stops you in your tracks, even stuff that clearly you should be able to walk right on through. Yes, some stuff should be a good barrier that makes you go around it. But when you come across a place full of vegetation that should be easy to walk through, although it might slow you down a bit, but which actually prevents you from moving forward, and is so dense over so wide spread an area that you have trouble making forward progress even though you try to work your way through it by skirting stuff ... after a few minutes of that you just declare Screw This and shut off the vegetation ... then proceed on your way. As with a lot of stuff in Neocron, they had a nice idea but did a poor job of it.

Here is another example. Find a skull on the ground in the waste lands. In real life you would stride right over it and never notice it hinder you. In game, it stops you in your tracks and you have to go around it or jump over it. Dumb.

If they fix the implementation, then it will be great to have lots of that kind of detail. But until then, no way.

Spook

Cytaur
14-02-04, 07:41
if veg level was enforced, spies wouldnt need stealth :)

Vid Gamer
14-02-04, 07:41
Not to mention the game looks 10x better with it on.

Forget My Name
14-02-04, 09:34
Sorry. I dont like it. When bushes and grass is taller than you, then we have problems with teh graphics engine.

Turn it off and keep it off thank you.

shend
14-02-04, 10:53
vegation ruuuulz,
when going to the swamp, u can't see shit and all of the sudden u stumble into some regant mutants.
that really adds to the dangerous character of the wastelands imo

PulsarBl0w
14-02-04, 11:03
Vegetation off !
Or buy me a new graphic chipset oO

Matthew.v.smith
14-02-04, 17:05
I always have vegitation on.
Im areas with massive foliage its impossible to play no matter what system u use.

Hopefully Bdoy will address this
Matty.
:angel:

metalangel
14-02-04, 17:13
Vegetation is silly, you can stumble around blindly looking for the swamp caves... or turn it off and it's sitting there in the middle of completely clear land.

What's the point?

sw1tch
14-02-04, 17:15
if BDoY brings great performance with vegitation detail on, i will probably keep it on full, even if it means i cant see where i am going just because i love it :D

der Ed
14-02-04, 17:21
I can't play with vegetation on, my FPS is even lower then on some op fights then :(

japata
14-02-04, 17:24
Originally posted by Forget My Name
Sorry. I dont like it. When bushes and grass is taller than you, then we have problems with teh graphics engine.

Turn it off and keep it off thank you.

Or perhaps that just simulates realistic untouched plains after several mutations caused by background radiation. After all, there was a time when ferns formed great forests with stalks longer than the common inhabitants - dinosauri.

But yea, if my cpu could handle the not-so-well optimized veggies, I'd definetly keep 'em on all the time.

CarniFlex
14-02-04, 19:00

well bamboo is grass, and its taller than most people usually... NERF THE REAL WORLD GRASS ITS UBAR!!oneoeohe

XenivouS
14-02-04, 19:31
i run a radeon 9700 pro and vegitation hates my computer! Yeah it looks kewl but i slow down like a 486 puter!

Q`alooaith
14-02-04, 19:35
It'd be great to have it forced alway's on, if it didn't trash the frame rate..

Leebzie
14-02-04, 19:36
looks great and would add a much larger tactical element (specially if you couldnt lock a target thru vegetation)

Just a shame some pc's die on it :(

msdong
14-02-04, 20:33
allways on - even on the lower end of the scale.

i allways wondered why it use T&L and sucks that much CPU power.

Scikar
14-02-04, 21:35
I think the main problem with the vegetation is that it's animated. Perhaps turning the detail down should only reduce/stop the animation rather than removing it. But then I don't really mind, I can live with people turning vegetation off. Of course, having a 9800XT chugging away means I can play with the game looking good and vegation to full. ;)