PDA

View Full Version : Bring back character location on citycom.

Richard Blade
14-02-04, 01:54
As stated:
Bring back character location in citycom.
A. Yes
B. No

Reasons.
1. NCPD only show's people with SL below -32. Those people are always camping their apartments. Some of them were noobish and messed up while near vendors or some such and shouldn't really be on the "most wanted" list.

2. The people who need to be tracked down and killed never let their SL drop that low. So, NCPD most wanted doesn't work for this purpose.

3. Griefing already occurs. It won't get any worse if that PK'r knows where Jon P. Noob is at right now. Chances are, he's already killed him twice today.

4. Some of the people who PK and tick everyone else off, do it because they say they are looking for a fight. Well, let them be hunted down and fought.

Hayato
14-02-04, 02:01
sexy post 5 stars *****

Dade Murphey
14-02-04, 02:01
Yeah...you make a good point...the way it is it's too impractical to play a real criminal....so those who actually PK and such always have atleast low positive SL, as you said...so I voted yes...also, it would help find people who are offering to build over Trade and find your friends if you wanna meet up

Benjie
14-02-04, 02:03
No.

It needs revising though.

I vote Gamemasters be able to change the top 5 most wanted. :cool:

Richard Blade
14-02-04, 02:05
:lol: Dade, I was thinking more of revenge.
But you bring up excellent points.

6. Find tradeskillers who are advertising over trade.
7. Find your friends hunting or wherever.

If you vote no, lets hear why?

I'd like to see this implamented and by saying why you think it shouldn't happen, maybe we can work out the details.

Edit: Benjie, thank you.
Is that the revision you would suggest, or is there more?

Marx
14-02-04, 02:21
Originally posted by Benjie
No.

It needs revising though.

I vote Gamemasters be able to change the top 5 most wanted. :cool:

I'm the number one most wanted person on pluto.

Then again, I'm one of like 6 wanted people on pluto.

The NCPD list is a good start, and I do hope the character location section is brought back, but perhaps as Psycho Killa mentioned in the 'viable red' thread, perhaps it should show something like the last GR used as opposed to the actual zone...

because how the fuck would next know?

Mr. Chainsaw
14-02-04, 02:27
I too voted no. I think the soullight system is seriously screwy right now, but I don't think someone should be able to just look on a computer and tell where someone is.

If anything, you should have to put effort into it, like hacking into the genrep system to track a person's last genrep, or having 'secure' areas that update your position if you enter them, sort of like a metal detector.

I don't mind the tracking for criminals, but I don't believe they should drop 5 items and have no safe slot. I think the tracking system and KOS label hanging over their head is criminal enough.

...I like this Neptune thing more and more...

Richard Blade
14-02-04, 02:54
Marx
Yeah, that's do-able. It wouldn't have to be up to date information. Just the most recent GR, or possibly seen by copbot kinda thing.
LE users would of course be known to the system at all times. They are, afterall, wearing the Reeza tracking chip. :D
Not that the system could really be used against them, they can't be killed.

@Mr. Chainsaw
What I suggest isn't for tracking down people that have really bad SL. That's the "copbot" version that is on the citycom now.
What I suggest is that you can track anyone. Enemies, friends, tradeskillers that are advertising, etc.
As Marx suggested, it could be limited to GR's. I'd like a little bit better information than that, but it could be worked with.
The people I would like to track down, don't have bad soul light most of the time. So, they wouldn't be dropping more than one item. If I were successful in killing them.
I like your hacking the GR idea. That kinda goes along with what Marx suggested. That would give Hackers another reason to be viable as a role to play.
I agree with you about the 5 item thing. Especially with Soul Light not working like it should.

sw1tch
14-02-04, 02:57
hopefully hacknet should introduce seeing peoples current locations, but as not enough imfo on its capabilities have been released, i vote yes to have it done now.

I also want the ability to show how many people are online in a clan taken out. Maybe only show high level members, ie those that can change security of op GR's.

Tracking people down is fun, been doing it with this new NCPD system trouble is theres hardly anyone online below -30 SL to track down.

greploco
14-02-04, 10:14
yes, maybe it will stop some of this nonsense

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90857

Richard Blade
14-02-04, 17:01
In the case that you mention on your thread, I would hope that bringing the tracking back would allow people who just got ganked to be able to get pokes, switch armor, and then track and attack the people who just ganked them.
If they had several people with them, you would have the chance to get some friends together and make it a fair fight. That is, afterall, what they say they are looking for.

A decent fight.

Lucjan
14-02-04, 17:38
Yes, bring last location back!
Especially with those nice additional features posted so often in brainport.

s0apy
14-02-04, 18:16
i voted no.

old enough to remember the original system, and i didn't like it much.

my objections are thus:

1) you say the NCPD doesn't reflect the real "most wanted" players - true, but who should decide this then? and could it ever possibly be fair?

2) greifers - idiots who harrass a single player for no reason, or even folks who have a legit grudge but take it too far, following a player everywhere and jumping them all the time.

3) most citycoms in the wastes are locked inside UGs, which gives the advantage to those who wish to grief or chase peeps out hunting.

4) appy campers - one of the main reasons, as i recall, why this system was abolished in the first place.

in the end such a system, were it to include all runners, would simply be abused by capped players wanting to PK, and would provide the perfect opportunity for griefers to really harrass specific players. it would also be of far more use to those with multiple accounts and the ability to log them simultaniously, thereby putting everyone else at an unfair disadvantage.

Richard Blade
14-02-04, 18:42
my objections are thus:

1) you say the NCPD doesn't reflect the real "most wanted" players - true, but who should decide this then? and could it ever possibly be fair?

Most of the people who show up on NCPD most wanted made a mistake and killed vendors. The function of the tool is useless anyway. Anyone who does something to be on that list, by accident or on purpose, will stay in their apartment until they won't be killed by copbots or until they won't drop 5 items. Remove it for it's lack of worth.

2) greifers - idiots who harrass a single player for no reason, or even folks who have a legit grudge but take it too far, following a player everywhere and jumping them all the time.

This is where KK and the GM's need to put draw the line. Griefing is a bannable offense. They need to define griefing and put a stop to it. It's not the tool used to grief, it's the griefer themselves.

3) most citycoms in the wastes are locked inside UGs, which gives the advantage to those who wish to grief or chase peeps out hunting.

The citycoms locked in the UG is only usable by the clan who has locked the UG. In most areas, you are safe. If you are in an area that is owned by a clan who's members have questionable ethics, then watch your back. You probably shouldn't be there anyway.
Again though, if they can be caught griefing, they can be banned.

4) appy campers - one of the main reasons, as i recall, why this system was abolished in the first place.

I had some guys camping my apartment back then. I reported them. The responce was that they were roleplaying.
I didn't let them in though, so I didn't die to them. People need to look at their local list before heading out the door.
Also, again, KK needs to crack down on the griefers and ban them.

You have decent points, but they can all be worked around if KK is willing to get rid of some of the trouble makers.

No, I'm not refering to certain people that I always seem to be on opposite sides of the argument from. They might PK, but to my knowledge, none of them are "griefers". In that fact, I only have a problem with the way they play for this reason:
In any society, no matter it was cavemen, or modern day "post apocalyptic", humanity has a strong sense of survival. They will remove any threat that interfers with that survival. Mass murderers will be tracked down and killed.
In the game of Neocron, Reeza and his copflops can't do this. It's up to the players to police their evils.
Being able to select a GR after death means that the "bad guys" can come back and do it again, but by being able to track them down, Neocron can have some hope of not constantly being victims. They might actually be able to fight back once in a while.

As for griefing? People need to excersise a show of maturity and self control. If they can't, they need to be banned and don't really have any place or purpose in this game or forum.

-=BlackBeard=-
14-02-04, 21:13
yeah........ i remmember back in the Beta it made finding people easier :D

Sanch0s
14-02-04, 22:15
What about stalkers?

Richard Blade
15-02-04, 07:13
Ok Sanchos, I'll take the bait.
What about stalkers?

If they use the tool to find someone, then tail them. What real harm are they doing? If they use it to find the person and kill them repeatedly, then yeah, that's not right.

But, following someone around isn't against the rules. It can be done now. You just need to find the person and let the stalking begin.

Unless you are adding it as another valid point for putting the tracking back in the game. As long as it isn't abused or used to abuse other players, it provides a "role" for someone to stalk another.
I can see somebody stalking a person and letting their movements be known to certain criminal organizations to allow them to mug them. Or, a stealthed spy stalking/tracking a "bad guy" and letting the posse know where he is.