PDA

View Full Version : [OT] UT2004 Demo?

MrBiggles
14-02-04, 00:03
Anyone else download and play the demo yesterday? I played it a couple of hours, was ok I guess, can't get the whole concept of the ball game. Assault map was pretty cool, and the..what's it called, overrun? the one with the vehicles...anyway that one was pretty cool too, but the map was pretty small after playing it a bit. Surprisingly, I didn't play CTF that much, which is usually my game of choice.

All in all, looks like a decent game, will prolly buy it when it comes out, even if it doesn take 3.5gbs on the harddrive (biggest game ever?)

Dribble Joy
14-02-04, 00:07
ut2003... with better gfx....

that horse looks plenty flogged allready...

Nexxy
14-02-04, 00:08
I thought it was crap tbh, maybe it was just the map i played. Original UT > All

MrBiggles
14-02-04, 00:09
I skipped UT2k3, so not sure, but ppl were already posting about the improvements to 2003 that it had, and the things that were fixed, etc. *shrug* I like my shooters every now and again, and UT has always been my preference over Quake

Maarten
14-02-04, 00:42
I love it!

I loved original UT. When I first tried the UT2k3 demo a year ago, I thought it sucked because of fucked up gameplay.
I didn't touch the game for a long time after that.

Now a few weeks ago, I started playing again (mainly because Bram had started) and it was kinda cool. I got used to the gameplay and some of the gamemodes are really exciting. But something was still lacking though.

Now UT2004 really rocks. The gameplay feel of the original UT is back with the advanced UT2003 graphics. The Assault gamemode is back and a new one, Onslaught, has been added. Now Onslaught is a gamemode that ROCKS over a LAN. Each team starts in a base on a huge map. There are a couple of key locations on the map where each team can construct power nodes. If you find an enemy power node, destroy it and build your own. When you have a power node constructed, vehicles will spawn. And those vehicles rock. They are very powerful if used correctly but still balanced. Vehicles also spawn in your own base. Goal of the game is to destroy all the enemies power nodes and then destroy there generator in their base, which is quite a challange.

nonamebrandeggs
14-02-04, 00:43
The vehicles are pretty cool and easy to use, and the game modes are interesting, I'll definately get it as I've always been a big UT fan :D.

Mr Friendly
14-02-04, 01:25
turnin into halo, just a faster pace imo :eek:

BramTops
14-02-04, 02:11
I just *love* Onslought.... Best gameplay/excitement/everything I've ever seen... UT is back baby!!!

/me ducks from girlfriend slapping me arround now....

.ps. hope this new thing wont hold off the next version of NLpro for to long... :D

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 02:13
Love it.
Vehicals just feel so right...

Marx
14-02-04, 02:16
I love the scorpion.

Too bad the claw things don't do damage to people half the time.

:(

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 02:35
Originally posted by Marx
I love the scorpion.

Too bad the claw things don't do damage to people half the time.

:( Lag?
They work for me o_O
I like the fact that they can get ripped off too...

FirestarXL
14-02-04, 02:40
Yep, I too was a hardcore UT player who was disappointed with ut2k3. However after seeing it mentioned here (I haven't been folowwing ut2k3 development at all), I downloaded the demo and I'm glad I did.

In true quantum leap style, I feel it has put right what once went wrong. It's not perfect, I could point out this and that but I played it and enjoyed it a lot (especially onslaught) - and isn't that what matters?

The one problem now of course, is that I keep bloody trying to doubletap A and D to dodge in Neocron. Doh! :p

Marx
14-02-04, 02:41
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Lag?

Lag + insane amount of lil' bumps which have the ability to lift you from the ground

:lol:

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 02:42
There are a few bugs with it though heh...
I also get slightly annoyed with the inability to alt-tab back to the game since it doesn't wanna work for meh once i alt-tab out..
LOL Marx I know what you mean :)

ServeX
14-02-04, 02:55
yea UT2k4 is so sweet, if anyone wants to play deathmatch or something with me let me know via PM.

kurai
14-02-04, 02:57
I'm in much the same camp as Firestarter.
I was a tournament level UT player, got a *cough* unofficial version a few weeks before it was released, bought it the day it hit the shops, and played ungodly amounts of hours till the day they finally pulled the plug on the rankings servers when 2K3 launched.
Gave 2K3 a fair crack of the whip for a couple of months, but it just felt *wrong*

I think they are finally getting back on the right track ...

The most common download of all those available for UT2K3 was the mutator that changed a lot of the gameplay elements back to UT Classic style - that's gotta tell you something went badly wrong with the design phase.

2K4 still needs a bit of polish and fine tuning, but it's now nearly got back the almost perfect Classic gameplay "feel" but now has the eye candy too.

Hippieman
14-02-04, 02:59
Damn this demo really kicks some serious ass. Im in love with Onslaught and that Raptor aircraft. Damn that baby can do some damage and run like feck when you got 8 missles wantin to kick your ass. The only things I see a BIT wrong is the slight lag that appears no matter how good the server is, and that alt-tab (fucking Norton AV) thing that QD mentioned earlier. Other than that this will probably be a game on my top 5 buy list very soon.

L0KI
14-02-04, 03:52
UT2K4 > ALL

OMG, FLUX started playin the demo today, and its unbelieavbly good.

What a fuckin good game.

IMO, its a free to play online, better graphics, smoother gameplay version of Planetside.

Everything PS should have been is in this game.

EDIT - its NOTHING like 2k3.

Vehicles being an important factor makes it 100% different.

FirestarXL
14-02-04, 06:52
It's 4:30am, I really need to stop playing this damn demo and get the hell to bed. :D

I tell ya though, it's a great feeling when you team up with other people who have their head screwed on right because even on a public server it can work like a dream. I was on a server with this one team where we just knew what to do without communicating, we just did whatever seemed logical at the time. If I find myself at a risky power node, eight out of ten times a teammate was with me to combine our link guns and get that bugger built in seconds flat. Or if at the start, two of us got into one vehicle and one into another, the person on his own would go out to the middle one and secure the area while the pair would go to get the first one built ASAP so that the second node could be started immediately afterwards by the person on his own (if you don't know the onslaught mode, then just.. err.. go play it).

Another cool trick we used is with single person vehicles like jeeps, people can stand on top and fire normally while the jeep is driving, so a good player will see you running and drive up next to you so you can jump on top, then give you a lift to where the action is (and of course you blast any enemy scum en route).

Anyway, great fun, but to bed now before I die. :D

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 07:05
Originally posted by L0KI
UT2K4 > ALL

What a fuckin good game.

IMO, its a free to play online, better graphics, smoother gameplay version of Planetside.

Vehicles being an important factor makes it 100% different. SSC gotta server up, check our forum for teh IP FLUX are welcome there :)

Celt
14-02-04, 07:07
UT2K4 > ALL

What a fuckin good game.

Vehicles being an important factor makes it 100% different.
I think PS's graphics are better, I definitely prefer it's slightly slower pace too :)

Cytaur
14-02-04, 07:39
onslaught is great ! you can even modify connector dots heh, there can be 5040 different combinations on a single map ! Especially the vehicles omfg... raptor is great..... and redeemer omfg NUKE NUKE NUKE

Once I was playing, I was camping the redeemer spot. So I launch my nuke, cruising around looking what to shoot. I see enemy team building an energy point. I make the nuke go down on them and said "Incoming, run !!" then you see those guys running in different directions lol :lol: :lol: But both get nuked it was awesome.

Then in the same game, enemy Raptor was harassing one of our points when I was cruising my nuke. I just rammed the thing into it and took blew it up with some other guy that was on the ground hah was great.

In another game I was cruising my nuke around a map then I see enemy raptor, so I try to ram it but the guy outmaneuvres me and shoots back. So hell I keep dodging his shots and trying to ram him. Guy just dodges me and shoots. The battle went for like 5 mins, we both gave up so I just nuked some energy point with 1 enemy guy.

The most stressed nuke was when only 30 seconds remained in the game and I was at redeemer place. So the baby spawns with only 25 seconds remaining. I cruise it into enemy core right when clock was counting down from 10..... 3..2...BOOOOOM...1 we won :D

fatwreck
14-02-04, 10:49
can anyone post alink to the demo to download?

XanX
14-02-04, 11:06
QD, gimmie your guys web addy again, for memory ,so I can come along tonight and give you lot a go :)

gostly
14-02-04, 12:01
all i keep playing lately is ut2k4 demo...and neocron...

since i just rerolled...i have to take breaks from leveling...so ut2k4 owns...i love it... :lol:

Maarten
14-02-04, 13:51
Huh? I haven't found a redeemer in the Onslaught level, where is it? :D

Omnituens
14-02-04, 15:37
Originally posted by MrBiggles
3.5gbs on the harddrive (biggest game ever?)

full install for MSG2 is like 5GB

its better on the PS2 anyway

i'll play the UT2k4 demo on monday

Breschau
14-02-04, 15:46
Originally posted by Maarten
Huh? I haven't found a redeemer in the Onslaught level, where is it? :D
Top of the central tower from what I gather. Need a raptor to get to it. Never gone for it myself..

Originally posted by FirestarXL
Another cool trick we used is with single person vehicles like jeeps, people can stand on top and fire normally while the jeep is driving, so a good player will see you running and drive up next to you so you can jump on top, then give you a lift to where the action is (and of course you blast any enemy scum en route).
Heh, one game I saw a guy piloting a Manta with two teammates standing on top - one on each wing - firing with normal weapons. Highly entertaining to watch :D

Damn fun demo which'll hopefully lead to a damn fun game.

ino
14-02-04, 15:49
Well the onslought thingy there was pretty amusing, so def gonna try out the full version later to check the other lvls. Other than that well I've pretty much seen it before 10000000000 times or so, but CTF is pretty fun too nothing new but ever since qw ctf it has been a pretty fun relax mod to play.

But it's way better than most pathetic escuses of a game that I've tried out during the years..

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 21:36
Originally posted by XanX
QD, gimmie your guys web addy again, for memory ,so I can come along tonight and give you lot a go :)
Should be in my profile :p
http://www.shatteredstar.com :D

edit;
server address is in a topic in the top forum (general disc)

[TgR]KILLER
14-02-04, 21:51
I share the same feelings as Maarten.

When 2k3 came out the clan basicly died because there suddenly were only noobs playing UT.. and alot of ppl moved to 2k3.. but the game was fucked up din't feel right @ all.. played 2k4 demo all night.. and love the game.. it looks like 2k3 mayby but it plays different.. more feeling like the original UT.. and atm NC aint alot of fun due some ppl fucking up. [TgR] might just start playing UT again..

Test-0
15-02-04, 06:52
One time i was flying over an enemy node high up in the air, getting ready to shoot the poop out of it when I accidently pressed the wrong button and jumped OUT of my vehical. O_o; So while I was falling I started to shoot as many mines as I could into the node. So the guys down below start to head *click* *click**click*clickclick*clickclickclick*AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*BOOOOOM!*. Heh. So I somehow survived the landing and am about to get seriously fragged when an old friend came in for a landing on top of the two players left at the node.

Another time, I decided to go get the redeemer up top the tower. So I land, jump over to the redeemer and turn around just in time to watch my ride slip off the edge of the tower and FALL TO IT's DEATH. Leaving me at the top with only one way down, heh. But before I left, I shot every bit of my ammo at every node within view... and this is when an enemy player lands on the tower to get the redeemer, which had just respawned next to me. I nab the thing, and he turns and runs to his vehical, jumping in just in time for me to use the redeemer as a melee weapon. :D

If you couldn't tell, I think the game is gonna be great. :D

Zanathos
15-02-04, 06:56
Hmmm?

I thinks I'll have to go DL the demo.....

Forget My Name
15-02-04, 07:44
Originally posted by Mr Friendly
turnin into halo, just a faster pace imo :eek:

slugs fucking would be faster than halo. Halo is a SHIT game for the masses.

kurai
15-02-04, 10:03
Originally posted by Forget My Name
slugs fucking would be faster than halo. Halo is a SHIT game for the masses. Agreed.

Halo is only really for console types that don't know any better :D

(dons flameproof suit)

FirestarXL
15-02-04, 17:46
Originally posted by Test-0
One time i was flying over an enemy node high up in the air, getting ready to shoot the poop out of it when I accidently pressed the wrong button and jumped OUT of my vehical.

I do that all the time... except not by accident - landing is for wusses... :D I Just pull out the shield gun and alt fire it down a second before landing so I take hardly any fall damage, then yank out the flak cannon and blast seven shades of shit out of that node (and its defenders where possible). Ah, happy days! :angel:

Forget My Name
15-02-04, 17:50
Lets see, what is so good about halo?

You mean the ONLY choices of guns it have are THE basic guns every game has?

Pistol
Rifle
Rockets
Sniper
Shotgun

Stop me if I miss something... oh wait

Alien pistol
Alien Rifle
Alien Shotgun ( needlier)

Oh yeah, and ANY Halo pros NOWS FOR A FACT that the stroingest weapon in this game is the PISTOL. ONLY NEWBS USE THE RIFLE OVER THE PISTOL.

You can empty an entire clip into someones head and not kill them, but a pistol will do so in 4 or 5 shots.

The game is complete crap. Multiplayer ONLY. My opinions about this game DO NOT reflect the single player aspect because I ahvent played the single player.

Prodigious
15-02-04, 17:55
Originally posted by Dribble Joy

are you talking about fifa 2003/4

UT franchise does actually improve things rather than pretend to :p

•Super|\|ova•
15-02-04, 18:04
It sucks in my opinion. Q3RA still is an always will be my favourite fps game ;)

-=Bl@de=-
15-02-04, 18:20
UT2004 is fucking amazing no doubt about it, i love the vehicles too makes gameplay that little different, Me and andy constable jumped onto a server today and caught rizzy and pliskin playing, what a great laugh

Mr_Snow
16-02-04, 11:43
This game is the main reason why FLUX are holdingeither 1 or 0 ops on uranus atm.

Nash_Brigham
16-02-04, 12:05
Nothing I like better than grabbing a minigun and mowing down my opponents in onslaught mode. Uber fun, but you can't help but get pissed off when you end up getting put ona team with a buncha newbs that shoot anyone that walks :wtf: I have left several servers today because of that bullshit, running towards a node, server jsut started,a nd here comes a newb blasting me with his flak gun, and my night voice spamming at him, "I am on your team asshole." Not to mention it is really frustrating that some of these newbs have about as much coordination as dog shit when it comes to onslaught mode.

I think the major thing that pisses me off about it is they wills it there, destroy a blue node, run over it, and walk away without even charging the damn thing up :wtf: And they wonder why newb teams get beat in such short time.

The only other thing I hate is the hopping fairies who think they are good because they got auto aim turned on :wtf: If I could only lock an AVRIS onto them. Fun blowing the shit out of em with a tank though, I must say that.

Ascension
16-02-04, 12:09
Originally posted by FirestarXL
I do that all the time... except not by accident - landing is for wusses... :D I Just pull out the shield gun and alt fire it down a second before landing so I take hardly any fall damage, then yank out the flak cannon and blast seven shades of shit out of that node (and its defenders where possible). Ah, happy days! :angel:

Lol thats what i do 2 :p, anyways yeah i love this game cant wait for it to be released.

•Super|\|ova•
16-02-04, 13:13
Ok. I must admit I gave it another try. Yesterday was the first time I played UT at all. Onslaught mod was too confusing at first try and if it is as Nash_Brigham I sure wont start learning since it seems ppl there have no understanding when it comes to other players.

Well, the other mods were pretty boring... except for one; good old CTF ;) So in conclusion except for the CTF UT sucks ass :p

gostly
16-02-04, 13:31
Ok. I must admit I gave it another try. Yesterday was the first time I played UT at all. Onslaught mod was too confusing at first try and if it is as Nash_Brigham I sure wont start learning since it seems ppl there have no understanding when it comes to other players.

Well, the other mods were pretty boring... except for one; good old CTF So in conclusion except for the CTF UT sucks ass

so, you're not gunna try to figure out onslaughter?...cuz that's the best one...your main goal is to connect a node to the enemy's base...so in order to do that you have to start constructing the node nearest to your base and then to the next one...and the next one...until you have it connected to their base...and that takes away the shield from the powercore...so you can attack it...unless the node connected to the enemy base gets destroyed...then you have to regain it...

lol...it's only confusing the first couple rounds...atleast was for me...now i usually stay top score...it owns :lol:

Artie
16-02-04, 13:38
ok ok get this...

I'm in my raptor shooting down on the main core, when i get a "target locked" signal. Knowing i only got 20 armor left, i decide jumpin out would be the best option (between certain and almost certain death :lol: ) so, i look down as im falling a INCREDIBLE distance, and see a friendly tank below me pounding at the core. (with his AA slot free :D) i press e at the right second, and POP im in the gunners chair...LOL....And BAM we win the game! :)

I love this game btw.

I liked UT, UT2k3 (although something felt missing), and 2k4 seems like that "missing link".....*hugs teh demo* must...whip...programmers.....to work....faster...:lol:

BramTops
16-02-04, 13:47
Hmmm... lots of the fun it is yes...

Although the "great fun stories" you read here would be considered "EXPLOITING OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!111" in Neocron... ;)

Q`alooaith
16-02-04, 13:48
I'd like to take the time to point out..

U2XMP > UT2K3/4

CRAIG DIGGERS
16-02-04, 13:56
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Love it.
Vehicals just feel so right...

Vehicle manslaughter :eek:

bounty
16-02-04, 14:50
Yeah i've been playing this game, and i had fun for a few days playing assault, but wow, was i missing out.

Onslaught is the real fun in this game and i've been kept entertained.

I wasn't gonna buy it since i didn't feel it added all that much from ut2k3, but onslaught completely changed my mind. I can't wait to see some different maps for that and assault.

2 thumbs up, i never thoght i'd buy a game just for one kind of gameplay mode. *shrug* first for everything.

btw Mantra > *

El_MUERkO
16-02-04, 14:58
MONSTER KILL!

GOD LIKE!

W1N :D

Really enjoying playing onslaught, the AVRIL is such a laugh especially when you hit someone with it and blow the top of their body off and the legs are left standing there :)

Saza
16-02-04, 15:25
I never play demos. Except for UT2004. DL now.

Onslaught > you
Assault > you
UT2004Demo > you
UT2004 > everything
UT > god

P.S Teh scorpian rulez, i just drive around with the blades out, cutting through enemy lines, and then launching my "net lasers" as i like to call them. Damn I rule in the scorpian....

Artie
16-02-04, 16:13
BTW have you guys done the special attacks yet? If you get a missle in the raptor and kill another raptor with it (kinda hard, trust me :P) you get a "dogfighter!" (or the equiv lol).

Also, if you shoot a raptor down with the main tanks gun, you get a "Eagle Eye!" bonus.

Also, if you hover over someone with the manta and right click (to hover down) on top of someone, it goes "PANCAKE!"

Hahaha, i love killing people in new and interesting ways q^_^p

L0KI
16-02-04, 16:26
Top Gun, Eagle Eye, Vehicular Manslaughter, Road Rage, Pancake, Holy Shit, Rampage, Killing Spree, Double kill, Great Stunt

are just a few of the ones ive had so far :D

Cruzbroker
16-02-04, 16:42
A new 'NHL' serie. :p

UT > UT2k 3/4

Do you have TEH sexy annoucner, or the male announcer? :D

•Super|\|ova•
16-02-04, 17:49
Top Gun, Eagle Eye, Vehicular Manslaughter, Road Rage, Pancake, Holy Shit, Rampage, Killing Spree, Double kill, Great Stunt

are just a few of the ones ive had so far :D

+mad monkey :lol: ;)

BramTops
16-02-04, 18:32
Originally posted by Cruzbroker
A new 'NHL' serie. :p

UT > UT2k 3/4

Do you have TEH sexy annoucner, or the male announcer? :D

Both, actually... You can select them (male/sexy) for both bonusses ("rampage!") and game related stuff ("5 minutes remaining").

Could anyone tell me how to set the node-paths up differently?

FirestarXL
16-02-04, 19:02
Originally posted by BramTops
Both, actually... You can select them (male/sexy) for both bonusses ("rampage!") and game related stuff ("5 minutes remaining").

Could anyone tell me how to set the node-paths up differently?

Ya, I have the sexy announcer for "One Minute Remains" etc, and the male one for the kill related voices "Double kiilllll!" - ah, so glad they put that voice back in. :D

To do nodes, go into the editor, and simply click two nodes on the map. If there's a link, it will disappear, if there isn't, it will appear. Though I think you'd need a map with a few more nodes to really make a difference with editing node links.

BramTops
16-02-04, 19:13
Ok... stupid question.. but... where FFS is the editor?

FirestarXL
16-02-04, 19:59
Originally posted by BramTops
Ok... stupid question.. but... where FFS is the editor?

Only place I've seen it is when in game, press escape, go to the Map tab and click "Link Designer" in the bottom right. Not seen it in the main menu system though.

Breschau
16-02-04, 20:11
Originally posted by Nash_Brigham
running towards a node, server jsut started,a nd here comes a newb blasting me with his flak gun, and my night voice spamming at him, "I am on your team asshole."
Had someone do that to me (flak gun, too) then 10 seconds later announces on chat that "Breschau is a cheater!!" - I assume cos he couldn't hurt me.

I wasn't sure if he was for real or just taking the piss..

Or the game that at the start all the vehicles were grabbed before I got to them.. yet *none* of them stopped to cap the first node. They all just sped off into the sunset.

Just have to keep reminding yourself that the demo hasn't been out long and there's a lot of people still learning the game rules. Heck, probably a lot who've not played any UT at all before this demo - seen a hell of a lot of people trying to hit targets miles away with link secondary.

BramTops
16-02-04, 20:58
Originally posted by Breschau
Had someone do that to me (flak gun, too) then 10 seconds later announces on chat that "Breschau is a cheater!!" - I assume cos he couldn't hurt me.

I wasn't sure if he was for real or just taking the piss..

Or the game that at the start all the vehicles were grabbed before I got to them.. yet *none* of them stopped to cap the first node. They all just sped off into the sunset.

Just have to keep reminding yourself that the demo hasn't been out long and there's a lot of people still learning the game rules. Heck, probably a lot who've not played any UT at all before this demo - seen a hell of a lot of people trying to hit targets miles away with link secondary.

omg... that's just funny... ;)

Nash_Brigham
16-02-04, 21:08
Hehe. I love UT2k4. I wrack up a kill count from hell in that game. I have hit HOLY SHIT like 3 times so far, and once I get a car or something, I just run ppl over. Hehe. Vehicular Manslaughter, road rage, rampage. Hehe. I do it all.

Dribble Joy
16-02-04, 23:20
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-02-16
Ahhhhhahahahahahahahahaha

alig
16-02-04, 23:25
Originally posted by Dribble Joy

....with twice the gameplay, gameplay > all and fyi the gfx in 2k4 are barely different than that of 2k3....i have both and i run both on the same settings and i cant tell much difference.

If u dont find ons fun in 2k4 then u really are old, sad, never smile, wotever cuz it has brought me more fun in the past 3 days than nc has in the past 1.5yrs and there is only 1 map out....ahhhhh vehcles that work :D And ut2k4 > ut2k3 > original ut.

Oh and for anyone not tried it yet, go into ingame chat channel and listen to the voice-over-typing :lol:

Ormy
17-02-04, 01:25
Originally posted by Artie
ok ok get this...

I'm in my raptor shooting down on the main core, when i get a "target locked" signal. Knowing i only got 20 armor left, i decide jumpin out would be the best option (between certain and almost certain death :lol: ) so, i look down as im falling a INCREDIBLE distance, and see a friendly tank below me pounding at the core. (with his AA slot free :D) i press e at the right second, and POP im in the gunners chair...

That works? i tried to jump into the defence turret on my base (we were getting pwned) and i just went splat on it, then the node next to our base was taken :( I love taking the big tank uptop the hill and just sniping everybody, that gun pwns.

BramTops
17-02-04, 13:25
And remember that this demo version has it's textures cut in half... so the retail will look even better... :)

El_MUERkO
17-02-04, 13:42
I'm really looking forward to the retail release now, the game has the UT feel back now and I want more!

Also have you seen some of the kick ass mods out there, Red Orchestra looks the dogs!

Saza
17-02-04, 13:47
Originally posted by Breschau
seen a hell of a lot of people trying to hit targets miles away with link secondary.

o_O

U cant? Damn. So thats where ive been going wrong... :rolleyes: