PDA

View Full Version : Xbox2 vs. Ps3 vs. Infinium?

Boozbazz
13-02-04, 23:27
Chech out this new console coming out, it's going head to head with the aformentioned consoles http://www.infiniumlabs.com/intro.html

looks pretty sweet what do you guys think? I'm a real X-box guy myself but if this bugger gets good reviews i just might give her a shot :)

Mr. Chainsaw
13-02-04, 23:29
What's the next generation failure console that Nintendo's working on?

Psycho_Soldier
13-02-04, 23:32
Link doesn't work... at least for me anyway.

nonamebrandeggs
13-02-04, 23:36
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
Link doesn't work... at least for me anyway.

It's all heavy flash shits, probobly don't have the right plugins or something.

Dribble Joy
13-02-04, 23:44
Various rumours that the phantom is an elaborate hoax.
But that site must have taken some serious work done.

Possessed
13-02-04, 23:46
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww consoles...

/me strokes computer

Who needs consoles when you have a computer? :p

They just smell anyway... like eggs

nonamebrandeggs
13-02-04, 23:49
Consoles have brought us great things such as the Final Fantasy series and many sexy fighting games. Consoles aren't anywhere near as good as computers, but they are pretty damn cool most of the time. Consoles are also kickass for Multiplayer, some of the party games on N64 (Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Super Smash Bros.) have been the win.

So it would seem Kyle, that you are the one who smells.

Psycho_Soldier
13-02-04, 23:55
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
Consoles have brought us great things such as the Final Fantasy series and many sexy fighting games. Consoles aren't anywhere near as good as computers, but they are pretty damn cool most of the time. Consoles are also kickass for Multiplayer, some of the party games on N64 (Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Super Smash Bros.) have been the win.

So it would seem Kyle, that you are the one who smells.

If it wasn't for consoles those great games would have been made for PC....

nonamebrandeggs
13-02-04, 23:57

Alright fine, my last defence for consoles: They give the TV something to do.

Rimase
13-02-04, 23:59
OMGZ! OHNOZ!! I SEX TEH Phantom THING!!!1!"!12 :eek:

Psycho_Soldier
14-02-04, 00:00
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
Alright fine, my last defence for consoles: They give the TV something to do.

Computers can be hooked up to TV's...

Computers can also be small like Laptops or this..

http://www.mini-itx.com/news/images/story0291-01L.jpg

They can even be smaller too like this...

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bubbacomp/images/bubbacomp-0025L.jpg

Also if people wanted to they can also make it easier to play games on computers as easy as it is on consoles..

Boozbazz
14-02-04, 00:19
OMG OMG OMG!! that BUBBA KEG kicks ass! I WANT ONE!!
they should make that into a serious product man thats so cool! i have empty bubba collection for diff beers but a bubba computer! :eek: hell ya!
and horse shit consoles suck! frick man CS for xbox is way better than pc! boo on you!

[OT] I soo cant wait for fable to come out! :D ---they are thinking about pushing it back until XB2 comes out! :eek: but in a recent magazine there was a coupon?! what does this mean!?

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 00:30
Amusing.
Nintendo is the worlds most innovative games console producer, and the only console producer that has real quality assurance on it's games.

What's the difference between N and PS?

Nothing.
They both have the same range of good games.
Just the PS1/2 has absolutely no quality control so it sells a bigger range of UTTER CRAP.

Nintendo's influence on gaming is even seen, in the PS/Xbox systems.

PS STOLE The playstation technology when they were working on a joint project with nintendo to give the *SNES* A CDRom Drive (SNES!!!)

Mr. Chainsaw
14-02-04, 00:32
I'm not denying Nintendo's influence on gaming or the quality of their products. Their last two systems, however, have not done so well compared to other systems.

Alot of that probably has to do with their less than ideal relations with third party developers.

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 00:36
Originally posted by Mr. Chainsaw
I'm not denying Nintendo's influence on gaming or the quality of their products. Their last two systems, however, have not done so well compared to other systems. Sadly, that's true...
I think the main problem was N64 was cart, Square, for one example, said they wouldn't produce cart games anymore, and, it shows because crystal chronicals (best FF Game I've seen even though it plays a little weirder compared to the others) is coming out on the NGC...

As for the NGC, well, it got branded with the N64 stick before it came out, what's more is that The big N try to market for every one, instead of focusing on the teen group (who buy the most console games...) which the PS/Xbox do.
Sadly, most of the people who buy cubes these days, either buy it for their sub-teen children, or it's 18+ year olds buying it for the more mature games on there, mainly out of loyalty for N :/
heh, your edit said what I was sayin..

Even rare got swiped from N :/

edit..
then again...
Every game I've seen on rare's lineup since they left N has been crappy anyway o_O

Invertigo
14-02-04, 00:37
its called phantom, not infinium:p

and thats been suppose to of come out for while now...

theres been lots of talk on www.futuremark.com about it, most people say its fake and i have to kinda agree.... but im not too sure..

but yea ive been waiting for that console to come out for like a year + now...

and XBoat2 (inside joke:D :D o_O ) looks to be really good...

FatDogg
14-02-04, 00:43
some qoutes from nintendo's ceo:

"And when you look at Sony and Microsoft, because they don't have the strength of development that Nintendo has in-house, they really promote the third party games. We overshadow third parties because of our quality, and they promote third parties because of their lack of it."

"Nintendo wants it all, and doesn't think there's any reason that we shouldn't have it all."

"We always take competitors seriously. We do. But with a 98% market share, the challenge is theirs. Not to say that we can sit and rest on our laurels -- we can't and we are very well aware and always take it seriously. You say "what is Nintendo going to do about it?" Conversely, I'd say we own 98% of the market. What's Sony going to do about it?"

kurai
14-02-04, 03:17
Infinium's Phantom has been almost the textbook example of vapourware for a couple of years now.

Lot's of incredibly obvious bullshit marketing-speak ("market leading", for example - hard to see how a non-exisitent product/company could lead the market in *anything*), few facts, no resources/offices/manufacturing capability, and a rendered jpeg slapped together on their kid's bedroom PC being touted as a "prototype".

I don't think it's actually a hoax, more that it's taken the original 2 man operation this long to actually assemble a non-clueless management team and, more importantly, funding to do aything noticeably worthwhile.

For what it's worth I still don't think they have a hope in hell - the "technology" (whenever anyone manages to nail their evasive asses down long enough to actually say anything useful) is just your bog standard PC cpu & components wedged into a weird shaped case (much like the X-Box).

Their particular angle seems to be more the "subscription & download" model of software distribution - the hardware itself is nothing of note.

Curiously enough this is the route that MS seem to be keen on going with the X-Box2. :D

Can you see a handful of guys with premises that consist of nothing more than a PO box somewhere in the boonies of Florida having deep enough pockets to compete with MS as anything other than a bad joke ? ;)

Shujin
14-02-04, 07:03
that infinium console is actually very shitty. its been out for a while. i actually had the partly-pleasure of using one while i was on vacation in canada.

it... sucked.

wanna know what it was
a comp in a console shaped box, thats all it was. and it was no better than a xbox no a ps2.

its a fuckin comp thats it.

Mr. Chainsaw
14-02-04, 07:32
FatDogg...are those quotes real? Especially that last one, because if they are...well, damn, I mean...damn.

I once heard that the N64 was kept a cartridge system in development instead of being turned into a far superior (by most people's opinion) cd based system because in order to use the cartridge design, every company had to pay nintendo extra royalties. Hence, lots of companies would say 'screw that, let's make a cd which holds more info and can actually include things like video and voice clips.' It's possible that is also true for the current mini-disc system. I mean...what exactly ARE the advantages of a mini disc over a dvd based player anyway (honestly, I want to know, I don't know this high tech stuff).

Saito Hajime
14-02-04, 08:03
X box owns joo all.
Love the x box, and sooner or later theres gonna be a library of good games on it. Soon as they get the quality software co's to make x box exclusive stuff. At least I hope, or I'll have to just mod mine into a computer with the Linux os and the usb adapters for keyboard and mouse.....

furthermore

I read of a PC game console...and it left me with one question.

When you get an xbox or a ps2 you know that every game that comes out for that system will be able to be played immediately upon opening on that system. Who wants to install games on a console to play on a tv, plus. Xbox and such games are all made to be able to be played on a fixed set of hardware specs... PC games are not. If you buy this pc console, will you find that in a year no pc game you buy on it will run for crap???

food for thought
Saito

Mr. Chainsaw
14-02-04, 08:05
That's true Saito. One advantage of consoles is that you don't have to install them, and you always know your system will run them (unless it's a really screwed up game).

Lanigav
14-02-04, 08:40
Infinium is run by a shady CEO who had high positions in many companies that eventually went bankrupt, and/or were invenstigated for corruption (i.e. Worldcom). Their primary workforce also has an attitude that gamers will buy anything, and they're relying on that incorrect assumption that their console will be a success. Assuming it ever gets released, and the whole thing isn't just a scam to get shareholders' money.

Boozbazz
14-02-04, 09:18
dam u guys know a lot about this shit! :wtf: well all i can say is that im a fan of using the pc and the console, i HATE SO MUCH how microsoft is such a fucking scammer of my money! k get this, i go to my freinds house (and this was a long time ago) and he's got like every system on the planet but he sold his snes! (dam him) but anyhoo he had umm...whats it called..oh yeah phantasy star online for his gamecube right? so play it and go to his house all the time and we stay up countless night lvling our characters, so i decide to buy it for xbox. so i buy it, go home all excited to play this game i was addicted to and it brings up this error message basically saying "you cant play this untill you subscribe to xbox live and then subscribe ontop of that to our bullshit" so im like wtf? anyhoo that was really stupid crap. and all i can see is that microsoft basically wants this: every person to own a tv, a computer with windows and then the xbox; which will include your dvd player, your music and all. money grabbers is all i can say. i am a fan of xbox cuz it is best in game stuff right now but all that nonesense mentioned above is pretty shoddy if u ask me. but yeah man i'm not just gonna go with pc, or just console because why not use everything?! it's all good bro really ;)

Forget My Name
14-02-04, 09:28
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Sadly, that's true...
I think the main problem was N64 was cart, Square, for one example, said they wouldn't produce cart games anymore, and, it shows because crystal chronicals (best FF Game I've seen even though it plays a little weirder compared to the others) is coming out on the NGC...

As for the NGC, well, it got branded with the N64 stick before it came out, what's more is that The big N try to market for every one, instead of focusing on the teen group (who buy the most console games...) which the PS/Xbox do.
Sadly, most of the people who buy cubes these days, either buy it for their sub-teen children, or it's 18+ year olds buying it for the more mature games on there, mainly out of loyalty for N :/
heh, your edit said what I was sayin..

Even rare got swiped from N :/

edit..
then again...
Every game I've seen on rare's lineup since they left N has been crappy anyway o_O

Sorry mate, most consol game buyers are in their mid 20's. Fact number 1. But you are right, I bought it cuz of the loyalty.

To me, all 3 systems are soo close in preformance, they mine as well be the same console. Its not the leap from super nintendo to playstation now...

Endar
14-02-04, 11:18
Well i think PS2 owns GC and X-Box, still im thinking of buying the GC just because its cheap and it has some good games. I like most the PS2 because it has lots of games, and most of them are quite good (like Resident Evil series, FF series, Tenchu series, Dynasty Warriors and the awesome Way of the Samurai and many more...).

And well, right now the X-Box doesnt have any game that i would buy. The graphics dont make a game good thats what i think. Do you guys remember the old SNES games like Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger? Aww now i want to play those games...

/me goes to cherryroms to download all those good snes RPG games...

CR@SH
14-02-04, 11:38
I don't think the gamecube is even in the same league as the PS2 and XBOX atm. Alot of the games for the gamcube are based more for the younger age group bracket and it seems to me they don't try and make alot of games for the mature audience. The XBOX has superior graphics to the PS2 so the only thing that makes the PS2 better than the xbox is because of the number of quality games that come out of for it. And if xbox ever gets their crap together and gets some more great games it will be all over for the console war.

g0rt
14-02-04, 11:50
im a big fan of the playstation 2.

very big fan.

why?

1. i dont think microsoft has any place in the gaming market and i dont like any games on the xbox very much tbh

2. nintendo was the greatest, i love nintendo...but to be completely honest they focus on a kids audience. as much fun as mario kart was and still is, ive outgrown it.

3. the *FEW* games I really, really enjoy on a consol system are all on the ps2....gran tourismo series, mortal kombat series, twisted metal series, final fantasy series

in my opinion, consol games suck as a whole. and i hate playing online games with a gamepad, i want my keyboard and mouse tyvm. but for the few games that i do find hella fun, ps2 serves.

shodanjr_gr
14-02-04, 11:54
Originally posted by Boozbazz
dam u guys know a lot about this shit! :wtf: well all i can say is that im a fan of using the pc and the console, i HATE SO MUCH how microsoft is such a fucking scammer of my money! k get this, i go to my freinds house (and this was a long time ago) and he's got like every system on the planet but he sold his snes! (dam him) but anyhoo he had umm...whats it called..oh yeah phantasy star online for his gamecube right? so play it and go to his house all the time and we stay up countless night lvling our characters, so i decide to buy it for xbox. so i buy it, go home all excited to play this game i was addicted to and it brings up this error message basically saying "you cant play this untill you subscribe to xbox live and then subscribe ontop of that to our bullshit" so im like wtf? anyhoo that was really stupid crap. and all i can see is that microsoft basically wants this: every person to own a tv, a computer with windows and then the xbox; which will include your dvd player, your music and all. money grabbers is all i can say. i am a fan of xbox cuz it is best in game stuff right now but all that nonesense mentioned above is pretty shoddy if u ask me. but yeah man i'm not just gonna go with pc, or just console because why not use everything?! it's all good bro really ;)

You dont like XBOX live? Live without it. It offers content, it offers servers,it offers a decent gaming enviroment. For $50 a year, its not much...

Sundiver
14-02-04, 12:50

WELL PERHAPS CONSOLES WERE OUT A LOOOOOONG TIME BEFORE PC'S ?!????????!!!!

Saito Hajime
14-02-04, 12:51
I do dig on the xbox
I think ps 2 has a slight edge on games but in the near future I think the tables may shift a bit.
Great games on the box...
Knights of the old republic
doa volley ball. (i just cant help but dig it)
soul calibur 2 (yep i know its shared, but we get spawn)
Crimson Skies (one of the rockinest online console games)
Counter strike (done very well if you dont mind the pad love the built in voice chat)
Halo. arguably the best shooter ever on a console (take that 007)
Tetris worlds (dunno if its exclusive but its damn addictive)
NFL Street (dunno if exclusive but a blast to play, and used this year to prodict the supabowl winner during our half time) (missed the boob)

soon to be great games

Halo 2 ( insert homer sound effect here )
and
FABLE
Fable is going to own all that is ownable if they ever get around to putting it out. even the website owns.

just my humble opinion
Saito Hajime

metalangel
14-02-04, 17:03
Sundiver, consoles weren't out before PCs... the first ever game was run on a computer mainframe. All the games he was talking about came out just as the PC was becoming a truly viable gaming platform (like it or not Windows 95 did a lot of good things for PC games)

I wouldn't agree that we'd have had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark or any of those other games if there were no consoles - they wouldn't work on a PC as we know them.

Nintendo doesn't focus on a kid's market, it focuses on a 'fun' market. Stuff like Starfox Adventures and Animal Crossing might look like a 'kid's game', but they're still loads of fun if you can just get over yourself and stop worrying that you're somehow less of a man because you play something with bright colours.

Endar, you can get emulators for the XBOX to play your SNES RPGS....

:D

I own a PS2 and... I would be just as happy with an Xbox. Xbox now has my favourite console game (GTA) and since most games seem to get cross-platform releases now, there's almost no reason not to pick whichever system appeals to you most.

XBox has the power. Hard drive (with mods, it can play DiVX and emulators), the best graphics, lots of memory, there for the programmers to exploit.

PS2 has the software. Tons of games, lots of developer support. Technically, it's looking more and more haggard (graphics tend to look washed out) and any cross-platform title that includes a PS2 version suffers as a result of having to ensure the game will run on the PS2!

NGC has Nintendo. Just like the N64, there's not a lot of games (although it can handle cross-platform conversions) compared to the others but it's a technically capable machine, and that handful of games is unique, challenging, and fun. It's also dead cheap.

In an ideal world, I'd have a laptop for computer stuff, and consoles for games.

Sundiver
14-02-04, 18:57
I was talking about Personal Computers, not beasts from before Christ. Still remember when getting yelled at by a teacher for saying Amiga was better than PC's, when 386 was the hottest around..

I stand corrected anyway. There, feel better now?

Clownst0pper
14-02-04, 19:05
twisted metal series

Amazing games. So under rated, hell of a laugh.

TBH the Ps2 sucks.

Xbox = teh pwn

Great games, Great Graphics, Hard drive, better dvd player, Its big = big better, broadband actually works.

And its by microsoft, U just know there pockets are endless :rolleyes: :D

japata
14-02-04, 19:25
I was a playstation fan. Gran Turismos and tekkens are really cool, but now I'm transformed into a Nintendo fan. I love consoles as multiplayer party machines - that's exactly what GC is. Gamecube has the most uber fighting games ever combined to fun single player games (and man I love that water effect). SSBM, Zelda, SC2, Starfox to mention a few. And yea, it's true that nintendo has that aura of "childrens' toy" around it, but there are a lot of good, more mature, games out there.
Doesn't bother me as the game prices drop, people take more of their games to the game recycling centre near me and I can get damn good bargains sometimes. :p

... and XBox. It's a bit too much like a PC.

Oh, and gameboy player rocks. :)

But like I said, a fun partybox that has very cheap games and can run GB classics and GBA soon-to-be-classics. :)

Elric
14-02-04, 19:30
GBA owns all those consoles.

SNES conversions rock!

Yes, i have a Gameboy Advance SP :D

Leebzie
14-02-04, 19:42
Id have bought a GC, if they hadnt absolutely totally f**ked windwaker over. I remember looking pretty awestruck st some of the videos of the proposed new zelda (im a big zelda fan tbh) which looked really 1337 (at that time they seemed ubar)

But WTF... windwaker (is that even its name... I stopped following it) looks miles worse than ocarina of time/majoras mask, and I dont care what excuse they gave for those graphics, its a steaming pile of turd :mad: and just laziness. I mean... he's got a flat face

And no, I dont think graphics make a game by any means, but taking the game backwards in graphics isnt excusable. hell the same engine would have suited me fine.

Invertigo
14-02-04, 19:48
all i can say is...

xbox + xbox live + counter-strike + raven shield = sex

Benjie
14-02-04, 20:04
Originally posted by Elric
GBA owns all those consoles.

Yes, i have a Gameboy Advance SP :D
I got a GBA SP too. I also have a Gamecube and an Xbox. I love my Gamecube, and my Xbox is fucking cool too (not as good as GC though :)) but my GBA is the one I play most for some reason....

sum of my favoraite GBA games.

Kuru Kuru Kuruin (OMG Addictive)
Golden Sun (best GBA game ever)
Golden Sun: The Lost Age (OMG)
V Rally 3 (nice arcade feel, totally unrealistic though lol :lol: )
Colin Mcray Rally 2 (more realistic)
Sonic Advance 1 (better than 2 imo)
Sonic Advance 2 (still awesome)
Street Fighter Alpha 3^ (awesome, improved over the Saturn Origional)
Doom 2 (Blasting Imps with a double barrel on a hand held... :p)

GBA SP is sheer class.
Pitty the orrigional GBA had such a dark screen. Made it unplayable imo. :(

Elric
14-02-04, 20:08
hehe, similar agmes too me.

Sonic advance (all of em)
Mario Advance (all of em)
Mario Kart :D:D:D:D (main reason i bought the damn thing)
some other random stuff...

Zelda: Four Swords
urm..
Yoshi's Island... Warioland... couple of others, I forget though

Mr. Chainsaw
14-02-04, 20:24
I've often considered buying a GBA, if for no better reason then....Castlevania:) Although I hear that there's a new GBA coming out, so I'm afraid to buy one just to have it obsolete in a few months. Anyone know anything about this?

Invertigo
14-02-04, 20:26
I've often considered buying a GBA, if for no better reason then....Castlevania:) Although I hear that there's a new GBA coming out, so I'm afraid to buy one just to have it obsolete in a few months. Anyone know anything about this?

my friend would play that game on his GBA SP in GPS class ALLLL DAYYYY

then he turned into a 5th year senior:rolleyes:

Mumblyfish
14-02-04, 20:34

Nope. No new GB out for a long time, so get an SP NOW because it's God's gift to gaming. Remember kids, if you don't have one - you fail at life. And get Wario Ware. And Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance. You scoundrel, you.

What you're thinking of is the recently-announced Nintendo DS, which is going to head their third line of consoles console (NGC [console], GBA [Game Boy], DS [twin-screen gameplay]).

-=BlackBeard=-
14-02-04, 21:03
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Amusing.
Nintendo is the worlds most innovative games console producer, and the only console producer that has real quality assurance on it's games.

What's the difference between N and PS?

Nothing.
They both have the same range of good games.
Just the PS1/2 has absolutely no quality control so it sells a bigger range of UTTER CRAP.

Nintendo's influence on gaming is even seen, in the PS/Xbox systems.

PS STOLE The playstation technology when they were working on a joint project with nintendo to give the *SNES* A CDRom Drive (SNES!!!)

Fuck yes. Tell them Quantam. NINTY 4EVA!!!!!!!!! Jaysus, people havent you played Zelda? Pikmin? Eternal Darkness? Games like this arent just 'good versions' of previously made games, theyre new and innotive. And the Gamecube is almost as powerful as an X-Box. PS2 is behind the times anyway.

So in summary

X-Box > PS2
GC > Both
Ninty = teh pwn.

/Rant

Originally posted by Leebzie
Id have bought a GC, if they hadnt absolutely totally f**ked windwaker over. I remember looking pretty awestruck st some of the videos of the proposed new zelda (im a big zelda fan tbh) which looked really 1337 (at that time they seemed ubar)

But WTF... windwaker (is that even its name... I stopped following it) looks miles worse than ocarina of time/majoras mask, and I dont care what excuse they gave for those graphics, its a steaming pile of turd :mad: and just laziness. I mean... he's got a flat face

And no, I dont think graphics make a game by any means, but taking the game backwards in graphics isnt excusable. hell the same engine would have suited me fine.

Oh and WW rules. If anything the storyline is enough reason to buy it. Better than OOC? Hell no. But its as good as MM. And the graphics are fucking amazing, thank you very much.

g0rt
14-02-04, 21:19
Originally posted by Invertigo
all i can say is...

xbox + xbox live + counter-strike + raven shield = sex

No offense, but I honestly think anyone that would choose to play FPS games on a XBox have to have some kind of mental deficiency...

I mean some things I can say...yeah I understand why someone may like it that way better. But playing a FPS with that horrid xbox gamepad, with a bunch of 10 year olds that just got thier xbox for christmas...is just beyond my comprehension.

iainy13
14-02-04, 21:28
why i like the ps2

socom 2
time splitters 2
amplitude
and lots of other games but also you dont have to pay to play online. ive played x-box alot to and its ok.. but the graphics n stuff arnt that much better then ps2. and halo is totaly overated. i liked my time splitters lan partys way better then halo.

off to play cs now

QuantumDelta
14-02-04, 21:50
Tac shooters don't work on consoles.
I'll be honest and say that right now.
Rainbow Six was nice on PC but on Xbox it sucks.
CS Conversions to consoles SUCK.
Socom BITES.

However, at the same time;
I originally refused to buy a playstation (which eventually played into my hands because I got a PS2 and lived the backwards compat :p), so bought FFVII/FFVIII on PC.

...Lets just say, EA Games, can't publish for shit.
They CANNOT do platform conversions.

FFVIII didn't even have a QUIT button FFS ¬.¬ You had to ctrl-alt-del after alt-tabbing.

FFVII was buggy as smeg.
ugh
Couldn't even begin to imagine games as masterfully designed as Golden Eye or Perfect Dark (Though Admittedly GE>PD) for a PC, especially considering these days it's;
Buy PC Game.
Get home.
Install PC Game.
Go to play;
"Sorry, this game is currently in it's beta stage, please download the patches for this game so it actually works..... sorta...." (COUGH Zero Hour..)
If you didn't notice I really hate PC Publishers :p