PDA

View Full Version : Help Me

Tratos
12-02-04, 18:15
Linux n00b here, i just logged into my linux computer for the first time, and decided to change the resolution, it told me to log off and restart the machine, i did so, and it now rebooted did all the processes and stuff then when this finished the screen turned off o_O and now i cant get a picture anymore no matter how many times i restart the system!

Help me please :(

~Tratos

Psyco Groupie
12-02-04, 18:16
sounds like you selected a resolution above the monitors capacity and/or a refresh rate at that particular resolution .. if you get what I mean !

Tratos
12-02-04, 18:17
yeah so......how do i fix it, lol

:(

~Tratos

GT_Rince
12-02-04, 18:19
Ahh - I did this in the past... Exactly the same thing.

My fix... Rebuild again :D

Sorry, I had no idea how to fix it ;)

QuantumDelta
12-02-04, 18:25
I ain't well enough versed in Linux though I'm sure there's some people around who can help..
The windows fix is to reboot to safe mode and fix it in there -_-

I'll go ask a friend about it when they're free T if someone hasn't answered by then I'm sure they'll know...

RuriHoshino
12-02-04, 18:26
Originally posted by Tratos
Linux n00b here, i just logged into my linux computer for the first time, and decided to change the resolution, it told me to log off and restart the machine, i did so, and it now rebooted did all the processes and stuff then when this finished the screen turned off o_O and now i cant get a picture anymore no matter how many times i restart the system!

Help me please :(

~Tratos

It's been awhile but try this....try ctrl-backspace (might be alt). That used to be the key to kill the xwindows. Once out of xwindows, edit /etc/inittab. On the line that reads "id:x:initdefault" where x is probably 5, change the 5 to 3. Save the change and reboot the system. It will start up in text mode and you can run xwindows by logging in and running startx.

I don't remember how to reconfigure xwindows but at least you will be able to.

Tratos
12-02-04, 18:29
lol my solution is the win, switch the box to a monitor on which the desired resolution works and change it back down and swap the monitors back, lol

Thanks anywho

~Tratos

RuriHoshino
12-02-04, 18:32
Originally posted by Tratos
lol my solution is the win, switch the box to a monitor on which the desired resolution works and change it back down and swap the monitors back, lol

Thanks anywho

~Tratos

What works is always the best. ;)

Good luck with you penguin box!:D

Tratos
12-02-04, 18:34
im scared of it, lol its sitting there looking at me, ive managed to network it to my windows one which is a start i suppose :D

~Tratos

QuantumDelta
12-02-04, 18:39
hehe I never had the luxury of a second monitor nice fix ;)

Kugero
12-02-04, 18:50
Do you have telnet or ssh access? If you can telnet to the box you should be able to log in that way and then edit whatever video config file you need to correct the refresh rate for xwindows

also you might have some options to re-adjust the refresh rate if you boot from a floppy (you did make an emergency boot disk didn't you?) but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway I'm a CLI junkie so none of my linux experience involves xwindows (I use Win2k for running 'windows' 8|).

good luck.

edit: if you're really uber you can boot up and fix everything by keyboard crashing xwindows and then edit the config file suggested above all from memory! :D

Headless Linux (insert l33t speak of choice here)!

kreal
12-02-04, 21:33
Iirc you go into /etc/X11/

and ( vi ) the file called X86FREE-config something. there you can set the resulution to whatever you want

Regards Kreal

PS i can't really remember but just fell your way. =)

hinch
12-02-04, 21:50
let it boot up and the hd to stop doing stuff so you know its waiting at the login prompt then

its ctrl+(either ALT or Shift)+F1-to-F12

that will change the X session resolution and refreshrate to something where F1 is lowest and f12 is highest

Tratos
12-02-04, 21:57
i got another question.

i have both boxes networked, and im sharing the net connection between the two BUT i cant remember how to reach my shared files from the linux box, i did it beofre and now ive forgotten and since i still dont really know my way around linux i cant find it again, lol so any help will be great

Thanks

~Tratos

hinch
12-02-04, 22:32
if you mean you have a windows and linux machine networked just make sure samba is running on linux (called SMB)

then you can get to your shares on the linux machine via windows networking \\ip\folder

i would suggest installing webmin and use that as the admin interface for the smb shares and other server side parts of linux

Tratos
12-02-04, 23:37
Thanks for the help so far, but im a bit confused with the sharing thing still, where do i actuly have to go and open to gain acces, like what do i need to do to have my shares on screen?

Remember im a n00b, :D

~Tratos

hinch
13-02-04, 01:14
right first step

open up a console and check see if samba is running

or watch as it boots up and it should say "starting samba... [OK]"

if samba is running then you just need to tell samba to export your linux folders so your windows machines can open them

to do this install webmin from www.webmin.com get the redhat rpm if your using redhat

then do rpm -Uvh webminxxxxx.rpm

itll install, on windows machine goto http://linuxmachineIP:10000/

goto servers tab i think and click samba click create samba share/new share.

setup a share for anonymous access

back at your linux console do chmod 777 share folder
eg: chmod 777 /shares/

this will allow your windows anonymous user to read/write/edit etc to it

then on your windows machine goto start menu select run type in \\linuxmachineip\sharename

and voila all done

if samba isnt running then install webmin and use that to start it in the system tab goto boot find samba set to start on system boot and then hit the start now button

then setup shares etc its about as easy as i can make it