PDA

View Full Version : wheres the official announcement

hinch
11-02-04, 00:51
thanos said earlier that we would get an official announcement about something from mjs today at between 9pm and 10pm

its now 11pm uk time and no announcement now he posted in a thread about new publishers so i would assume it would be about that

anybody know what happened to it?

SirRah
11-02-04, 00:53
well on the german forums it was said MJS was in another town today called Darmstadt and is now on his way back to Hannover.

its snowing and icy in germany so the highways are kinda crowded i think and he is stuck in some traffic jam :p

just be patient ^^

Psyco Groupie
11-02-04, 01:00
Rah go dig him outa t3h snow you lazy bast!

Vampire222
11-02-04, 01:02
send some dogs to search for him, and a gprs laptop with em, so he can upload it as soon as they find him... hopefully his lease car got a phat airco

Psyco Groupie
11-02-04, 01:04
someone send some repair nanites .... STAT!!11

Vampire222
11-02-04, 01:05
reset positon O_o but it takes so long

Zanathos
11-02-04, 01:06
Im pretty sure he meant eastern standard time meaning -5 GM i believe.

KramerTheWeird
11-02-04, 01:07
no no, obviously he meant hawaii time come on because we all play in hawaii.

Does anyone know what the announcement pertains to?

kurai
11-02-04, 01:09
MJS found out that 10tacel was a One Man + Dog outfit miles away down near Frankfurt, and has no online presence other than a placeholder webpage on a server farm in Karlsruhe.

The big clue was when he phoned the number on the business card (handed to him by a drunk sales-rep looking guy at a tradeshow before christmas) when the cheque bounced, and the dog answered the phone.

But ... on a more serious note ... :D

10tacel are almost totally unknown outside of Germany.
(How well they are known *in* Germany is a moot point)
They seem to have popped into existence about August last year with a little over a dozen people, and position themselves as "middlemen" ... looks like they finance developers, and then go looking for publishing/distribution deals themselves.

Overall it looks a little like an "agent" who does cash advances, similar to, but a bit more hands on, than the classic venture capital deal.

Hopefully they have nice big pockets, and a little black book full of publishers/distributors with blackmail details ;)

Odin
Come on now I thought you guys knew Reakktor time now :)

Take the stated time and add a couple months :)

shodanjr_gr
W00t??MJS with a car??Doesnt he use his private Air Force One to move around?

Jest
11-02-04, 01:10
Originally posted by Odin

Take the stated time and add a couple months :) Odin is teh funneh.

naimex

Take the stated time and add a couple months :)

ROFL..

nice..

kurai
Darmstadt is way down south, near Frankfurt, so it will take some time ... depends if MJS splurged on a flight, or went by car/train :D

Cytaur
Originally posted by SirRah
well on the german forums it was said MJS was in another town today called Darmstadt and is now on his way back to Hannover.

its snowing and icy in germany so the highways are kinda crowded i think and he is stuck in some traffic jam :p

just be patient ^^

apparently 10tacel (tentacle) studios is located in Darmstadt

jernau
11-02-04, 01:16
Sounds like the cat is out the bag then.

I'd rather he got back safely than crashed rushing to get us more news that at least seems to have leaked out now anyway tbh. Then again, maybe he's sitting at home now watching us squirm.

LOL @ Odin. No rolex for you this month for that one me thinks.

Odin
11-02-04, 01:17
Originally posted by jernau

LOL @ Odin. No rolex for you this month for that one me thinks.

Rolex? LOL

On my salary I'm lucky to afford a Mickey Mouse watch :p

Cytaur
11-02-04, 01:19
Rolex? LOL

Mickey Mouse watches are more expensive than Rolex O_O

Shujin
11-02-04, 01:24
Rolex? LOL

On my salary I'm lucky to afford a Mickey Mouse watch :p http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2223600877&category=1399
that one?

Jest
11-02-04, 01:25
Btw how the hell do you even say this company name? 10tacel

40$Poser
11-02-04, 01:26
It'll be posted when it's posted (TM)

err something to that extent

Odin
11-02-04, 01:27
Uh no. I'm talking the cheap plastic dollar store kind ;)

Shujin
11-02-04, 01:28
Originally posted by Jest
Btw how the hell do you even say this company name? 10tacel wtf is 10tacel?

i guess u pronounce it ten-tack-el?

or ten tackle( like fishing stuff )

or tenta cel
or tent a cel
maybe Tint acel
maybe tent o' sell
maybe tentac el, and maybe they are dyslexic so maybe its El Tenac, which may be a terrorist group or spanish tv show.

QuantumDelta
11-02-04, 01:29
edit;
Shujin beat me to it

Ultima
11-02-04, 01:30
Btw how the hell do you even say this company name? 10tacel

Tenticle ?

Garm
11-02-04, 01:31
Like an octopus arm..tenticle.

--Garm

G.0.D.
11-02-04, 01:32
I used it have a rolex, a nice drug dealer on the streets of new york sold me it for 20 dollars instead of the vile of crack he first offerd. As many things purchased from crack dealers ofter do; it broke.

I took it down to walmart to get my watch fixed only to find a puzzled look followed by 'Sorry sir, we dont carry this brand of watches try radioshack'

Alas... for a short amount of time I felt like MJS, sure the watch wasnt real but its the chicks you get with it that counts.

kurai
11-02-04, 01:37
Originally posted by Garm
Like an octopus arm..tenticle.Almost (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tentacle) ... hence their logo.

http://www.10tacel.de/10tacel_logo_promo.jpg

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 01:40
so is that all mjs was gonna say?
was the name of the publisher?

Jest
Wow that image makes up the 100% sum total of their entire web site. I am a little bit nervous now haha.

Benjie
Do they even have an official site?

I CAN'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE!1one

Jest
11-02-04, 01:42
Originally posted by Benjie
Do they even have an official site?

I CAN'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE!1one http://www.10tacel.de/

If you call that a web site. :p

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 01:44
http://www.10tacel.de/

If you call that a web site. :p

ooo, a jpeg with a black background?
don't make that site TOO flashy... :lol:

jernau
11-02-04, 01:45
Originally posted by Shujin
wtf is 10tacel?

i guess u pronounce it ten-tack-el?

or ten tackle( like fishing stuff )

or tenta cel
or tent a cel
maybe Tint acel
maybe tent o' sell
maybe tentac el, and maybe they are dyslexic so maybe its El Tenac, which may be a terrorist group or spanish tv show.

Tint acel - as in Camelot?
tentac el - Superman's Uncle?

btw - Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Day Of The Tentacle.

Shujin
11-02-04, 01:50
please tell me that is not their publisher choice.... wtf have the published... dont tell me they went with someone they found in some back alley prolly recently graduated highschool student trying to make money by saying they are a publisher

apparently they do Xbox stuff.....
found a game called Voodoo Islands( never heard of ) for xbox pbulished by them

also found news on their thing with reakktor:
http://www.konsolen-world.de/newsskript/article.php?article_file=1076433111.txt

Nidhogg
11-02-04, 01:54
Don't read anything into that news article until J has made his announcement. Seriously, it can mean a number of different things and speculation is pointless at this time.

N

Shujin
11-02-04, 01:55
edited what i was saying. HOPING THAT ARTICLE IS WRONG.

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 01:55
I've heard of them before...can't remember where though...
shit man...I don't care what the next publisher has done in the past...as long as they actually do something to show off the game and get the name out so more people will actually start playing

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 01:56
hope its an announcement of a new class or something, or increased character slots on servers....i would shit myself :p

Benjie
11-02-04, 01:57
Originally posted by Bl@zed
hope its an announcement of a new class or something, or increased character slots on servers....i would shit myself :p
It's not. It's an announcement on who is going to replace CDV.

Nidhogg
11-02-04, 01:58
Originally posted by Benjie
It's not. It's an announcement on who is going to replace CDV. Not necessarily.

N

/edit - besides, we all know CDV are irreplaceable. ;)

Rieper
11-02-04, 01:59
Rolex? LOL

lol, i heard that one NC employee could actually earn more working at his/her local supermarket...

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:00
*edit* sry, im gonna stfu now and just watch ;o

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 02:00
First off...can someone who speaks german translate that? and also, when I did a full translation of the thing it ended sounding like some sort of co-operation thingamajig...not a buy out...but most of the translation didn't make much sense...

"with Neocron we have the most successful German MMORPG in the Portfolio. We have sufficient financial resources and the appropriate know-how to set over with the new version yardsticks within this range and ascend world-wide into the Top league of this category." Also Joerg Schwiezer, managing director of Reakktor, is pleased about co-operation: "long one had to wait the player municipality for a new version of Neocron. Their loyalty is now recompenced: Together with 10tacel we still offer Beyond of cathedrals OF York an absolute highlight in the MMORPG segment in this spring with Neocron -."

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 02:02
Originally posted by Nidhogg
Not necessarily.

N

/edit - besides, we all know CDV are irreplaceable. ;)

wtf?? ok now i'm fucking confused...
damn j00 nid :p

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:03
looks like mjs is saying we are loyal ;]

Jest
11-02-04, 02:05
Originally posted by Bl@zed
wtf?? ok now i'm fucking confused...
damn j00 nid :p He meant their suckiness is irreplaceable. :p

Bl@zed
Originally posted by Shujin
looks like mjs is saying we are loyal ;]

fuck yeah we are, we're a bunch of patient mother fuckers for waiting this long :p

Celt
Ok, replacing CDV(who at least managed to get SOME games published outside germany) with a company with no portfolio, and never known outside germany(try google it or mobygames) is not a sign of progress.

___T-X____
11-02-04, 02:06
i think ive posted in more threads than Nid and the mods today, i cant post anymore its too late and i need sleep so i can go do my job :/

Anyhoo hope its a good announcement, ill just have to use the Forums on Company time tomorrow, night night all

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 02:06
He meant their suckiness is irreplaceable. :p

oh, lol

Benjie
11-02-04, 02:07
I would just like to say that I am eating everything in my Refrigerator "Brigit Jonses Diary Style" because reakktor lied to me. I Thought we had a meaningfull relationship. :(

Well. I guess it's Midnight (2-3 hours late) and no luck.

Please rakktor don't stand me up. :(

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 02:07
Ok, replacing CDV(who at least managed to get SOME games published outside germany) with a company with no portfolio, and never known outside germany(try google it or mobygames) is not a sign of progress.

just because someone is new/newer/unknown doesn't mean they don't have xperienced people working for them...people band together and leave bigger places to start their own thing all the time...we all saw how CDV, who claim had xperience handled NC...if you didn't hear about it from the beta or word of mouth...you didn't hear about it

Tratos
11-02-04, 02:10
hmmm.... i do hope its a god announcment, and we dont get landed with a publisher who does fuck all for neocron as its an excellent game,

well to lighten the mood of this thread heres a message from the zoology dragon (http://www.rathergood.com/zoology/)

:p

Gotta sleep now, nite

~Tratos

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 02:10
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
just because someone is new/newer/unknown doesn't mean they don't have xperienced people working for them...people band together and leave bigger places to start their own thing all the time...we all saw how CDV, who claim had xperience handled NC...if you didn't hear about it from the beta or word of mouth...you didn't hear about it

yeah, at this point, i'm sure everyone at kk knows anything is better than cdv at this point. And you never know, these guys could probably be damn good, and might stay on the ball and make something out of neocron. ;)

Celt
11-02-04, 02:14
If you're looking for a job, the first thing that will be looked at is qualifications.

Second thing is experience.

Third is ability.

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 02:16
If you're looking for a job, the first thing that will be looked at is qualifications.

Third is ability.

and if you really read what I said, you could find all three of those in the situation that I offered up

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:16
Originally posted by Celt

Third is ability.

depends on ur sex and who the interviewer is.

if you are female and interviewer is male, then first thing is Cup size. Second is experience, third is ability.

qualifications dont even come in.

Celt
11-02-04, 02:18
and if you really read what I said, you could find all three of those in the situation that I offered up
Qualifications: An xbox game, that was only released in Germany, if it was even released at all?
No others.

Experience: Same as above.

Ability: Yet to be seen.

Like hell I could find all three.

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 02:23
[ Quit trolling - Ran ]

Secondly, I found a better translation of Shujins article:

10tacle of studios after establishment the No. 3
posted by Ubi to 10.02.2004 at 21:51 o'clock

Didn't we only report last Friday to you of the new rigid Brise at the developer market? Of the 10tacle of studios ? Now, this year a further message reached us to the recent enterprise, because like it today publications take over it the majority at Reakktor and catapult themselves thus into the guidance league of the developers.

10tacel clears by the assumption of Reakktor the way in the MMORPG category, because the Reakktor team convinced last with its 2002 releasten on-line play Neocron . World-wide the Game sold itself according to own data concerning 450.000mal. At present work ELT Reakktor at Neocron? Beyond of cathedrals OF York , a complete revision of the successful Sciencefiction Spektakels. It will appear presumably at the end of of April and is by substantial feature extension and simplified play entrance to shine.

Michele Pes, CEO of the 10tacel of studios , looks therefore expectationful into the future: "with Neocron we have the most successful German MMORPG in the Portfolio. We have sufficient financial resources and the appropriate know-how to set over with the new version yardsticks within this range and ascend world-wide into the Top league of this category."

Also Joerg Schwiezer, managing director of Reakktor , is pleased about co-operation: "long one had to wait the player municipality for a new version of Neocron. Their loyalty is now recompenced: Together with 10tacel we still offer in this spring with Neocron? Beyond of cathedrals OF York an absolute highlight in the MMORPG segment."

I found it thru google and used their translation option (http://www.spieleflut.de/news/2004-02/id10475.shtml)

btw...notice that it's set right now to be released at the end of april :D

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:31
First off Celt...you really have overlooked entirely what I was saying...so nevermind, I'm done with you

Secondly, I found a better translation of Shujins article:

I found it thru google and used their translation option (http://www.spieleflut.de/news/2004-02/id10475.shtml)

btw...notice that it's set right now to be released at the end of april :D so itll be out in november? ;P

Clownst0pper
11-02-04, 02:32
Nice cop-out, when you dont have any response, blow it off ^^

often a sign of maturity and intelligance is the person who doesnt feel the need to respond to an argument.

:rolleyes:

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:33
Originally posted by Clownst0pper
often a sign of maturity and intelligance is the person who doesnt feel the need to respond to an argument.

:rolleyes: and the opposite to the person who wants to keep fighting for no reason

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 02:33
I wasn't saying they would be good...I wasn't saying they would be bad...I was saying just because someone is an unknown/new or what-have you that it DOES NOT mean they will be bad...I was saying xperienced people get together to start a new company all the time...and if it were this sort of situation that these xperience people would have creditials and everything else they need to show...

sorry shujin or clown if this ruins what you just said...but I'm so tired of people not paying attention to all of what someone says

[ Again, watch the flames. - Ran ]

Celt
11-02-04, 02:34
[ Here's what's not off topic in your post. Stop flaming people. - Ran]

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:38
[ Just so I don't get an angry counter-edit warning about this ;). - Ran]

before this thread gets closed for turning into a flamefest.

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 02:40
anyway...I think this is over all good news...and I REALLY hope that the release date for DoY is the end of april as that article implies...that would be hella awesome...I think I can wait another month and a half to two months :D

\\Fényx//
11-02-04, 02:41
[ No need for flames, yatta yatta. - Ran]

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:42
[ Edited the original, so the quote gets it too, and yes, they are blocked now. - Ran ]

fen ******** chur ass on teh msn

edit:... wtf why was that censored?

i said "fen get chur ass on teh msn"

WTF?!?

ok homosexual references are blocked now. guess i somehow mistyped get....

Celt
11-02-04, 02:44
[ See above. - Ran]

Shujin
11-02-04, 02:46
is part of this deal with 10ticle have anything to do with this new word censoring?

and what words are censored?

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 02:46
anyway...I think this is over all good news...and I REALLY hope that the release date for DoY is the end of april as that article implies...that would be hella awesome...I think I can wait another month and a half to two months :D

i thought doy was out in or around July, and pre-orders started in march

Dade Murphey
11-02-04, 02:49
this is from the retranslated version I found...it's a touch different from the first one I think

At present work ELT Reakktor at Neocron? Beyond of cathedrals OF York , a complete revision of the successful Sciencefiction Spektakels. It will appear presumably at the end of of April and is by substantial feature extension and simplified play entrance to shine.

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 02:50
this is from the retranslated version I found...it's a touch different from the first one I think

oh nice, didnt bother to read that article, the translation looked like a bunch of jibberish

jernau
11-02-04, 02:55
ONOZ

http://indifference.homeip.net/10tacle.jpg

[TgR]KILLER
11-02-04, 02:56
i heard other rumours around.. about a publisher i even KNOW :p don't know those guys.. as long as nc gets TV spots i'm cool with anybody ;)

Bl@zed
11-02-04, 02:57
ONOZ

hahahaha :lol:

Benjie
11-02-04, 02:58
ONOZ

I never played Day of the Tenticle. :(

I played the orrigional Manic Mansion though. It sucked compared to Monkey Island.

Then again I played Monkey Island on the Atari in 1992, but I played Manic Mansion on the Master system around 1996. (master system controlls where awefull)

Who remembers Bonanza brothers? If you read the manual you would notice they printed a cheat inside!

Could you imagine an MMORPG publisher doing that nowadays?

"To duplicate items, simply find a sextant, and 2 boats....."

*misses the old days*

Scikar
11-02-04, 03:08

The same could be said of ReaKKtor. CDV did not publish Neocron very well, that much is true. Also there is not even any mention that 10tacel are even being considered at all, all we know is MJS spoke to them at some point. EVEN IF they were talking about them publishing DoY, that does not mean ReaKKtor are commited to a publishing deal, and even if they do go ahead with a publishing deal, who are you to say already that it will be worse than CDV's publishing? Finally, if 10tacel are such a bad potential option, perhaps you would like to suggest some other publishers to KK, bearing in mind that KK are not at the top of the developing food chain, and are not developing a mainstream game.

@Jernau: Well, you know what they say: If you wanna save the world, you gotta push a few old ladies down the stairs! :lol:

Benjie
11-02-04, 03:12
Good point. Check out reakktors product list. Before Neocron they had done only two games I have never heard of. (http://www.reakktor.com/Products/products.html)

Celt
11-02-04, 03:21
Originally posted by Scikar
The same could be said of ReaKKtor.
Not quite. Neocron *is* a success, it's been retail for 16(?) months and it's numbers have stayed about the same since last December. It also represents 3-4 years of KK's working together as a team. But point taken.

CDV did not publish Neocron very well, that much is true. Also there is not even any mention that 10tacel are even being considered at all, all we know is MJS spoke to them at some point.
It's supposition on my part, not fact.

EVEN IF they were talking about them publishing DoY, that does not mean ReaKKtor are commited to a publishing deal, and even if they do go ahead with a publishing deal, who are you to say already that it will be worse than CDV's publishing?
I never said they would be worse then CDV, I said it isnt a sign of progress to potentially choose 10tacel as they have no track record.

Finally, if 10tacel are such a bad potential option, perhaps you would like to suggest some other publishers to KK, bearing in mind that KK are not at the top of the developing food chain, and are not developing a mainstream game.

Matrix Games (http://www.matrixgames.com) have published several games developed by ONE person, as well as many many of those niche historical war simulator games.

[url=http://www.simonsays.com]Simon & Schuster Interactive[url] published eve-online, eve-online was developed by a brand new start up developer, in Iceland with no previous history.

Then again, I am no expert :-)

Ran
11-02-04, 03:40
Keep the personal attacks somewhere else guys.

Shujin
11-02-04, 03:42
Originally posted by Ran
Keep the personal attacks somewhere else guys. i warned them, i really did, but nooo.

Zanathos
11-02-04, 03:43
Just wait for the official anouncement guys.

Scikar
11-02-04, 03:50
It's supposition on my part, not fact.

Exactly.

I never said they would be worse then CDV, I said it isnt a sign of progress to potentially choose 10tacel as they have no track record.

Better to have no track record at all than a negative one.

Matrix Games (http://www.matrixgames.com) have published several games developed by ONE person, as well as many many of those niche historical war simulator games.

[url=http://www.simonsays.com]Simon & Schuster Interactive[url] published eve-online, eve-online was developed by a brand new start up developer, in Iceland with no previous history.

Then again, I am no expert :-)

Of all of Matrix Games' published games, I vaguely recognise hearing about 2. I haven't seen any of them in shops, or seen adverts online, and I cannot recall a review of any of them. I also don't see any MMORPGs there.

EVE-Online is in competition with Neocron, so it would not really make sense for a publisher to publish both, except perhaps to nuke Neocron into oblivion to ensure success of EVE maybe.

At the end of the day, at least these 10tacel guys have a cool name and a cool logo. ;)

Shujin
11-02-04, 03:52
Scikar eve is so boring dude.

yet i still play it
but i play neocron while i play eve..
how? eve's leveling is time based u dont have to do shit cept have an account and log on every couple days to change what skill ur training to have a leet char.

Celt
11-02-04, 04:13

Of all of Matrix Games' published games, I vaguely recognise hearing about 2. I haven't seen any of them in shops, or seen adverts online, and I cannot recall a review of any of them.
I've seen about 10 of them in GAME over the last 2 years, seen reviews for almost all them, be it wargaming.net, eurogamer or gamesdomain

I also don't see any MMORPGs there.

EVE-Online is in competition with Neocron, so it would not really make sense for a publisher to publish both, except perhaps to nuke Neocron into oblivion to ensure success of EVE maybe.

At the end of the day, at least these 10tacel guys have a cool name and a cool logo. ;)
Your first point contradicts the second, also eve isnt in competition with neocron, they are VASTLY different.

sparrowtm
11-02-04, 04:16
MJS posted a thread on the German forums about 10tacel and the merging of Reakktor with 10tacel. I would translate it for you - but it's far too late at night to properly concentrate on it.

The essentials of what he said:

1.) KK is not being taken over. They are merging with 10tacel.
2.) MJS will be part of the board of directors of 10tacel to make sure Neocron will be their main product in the years to come.
3.) 10tacel will provide KK with the possibility to advertise for Neocron.
4.) MJS thinks that _maybe_ even TV-advertising would be possible with this deal.

kurai
11-02-04, 04:18
Good grief - all we know so far (if the limited B2B/PR newswire stuff is accurate) is that 10tacel, have purchased a majority stake in Reakktor.

Don't go constructing entire elaborate doomsday scenarios from that ... especially those of you wh seem clueless about how the business side of things works. :rolleyes:

It all sounds like a perfectly normal funding excercise so far.
Exchanging capital for shareholding/equity against future possible profits is a very common practice.

Also - dont neccessarily expect 10tacel to do the publishing/distribution directly - from the sparse information available about them, they seem much more likely to broker a deal with a 3rd party for that.

In other words ... 10tacel aren'tt neccessarily Teh Publisher, but the people who will make the deal with whoever it turns out to be in the end.

sparrowtm
11-02-04, 04:19
Originally posted by kurai
from the sparse information available about them, they seem much more likely to broker a deal with a 3rd party for that.

That's how it sounded.

Rieper
11-02-04, 04:20
well, if 10tacel have the capital to back up what they;re saying, go for it.

Scikar
11-02-04, 04:22
I've seen about 10 of them in GAME over the last 2 years, seen reviews for almost all them, be it wargaming.net, eurogamer or gamesdomain

Fair enough. But I haven't seen any of them. And I don't think KK would like to trust another wargame publisher. ;)

Your first point contradicts the second, also eve isnt in competition with neocron, they are VASTLY different. [/B][/QUOTE]

My first point was regarding Matrix Games - they have published no MMORPGs. The second point was regarding S&S. Also, I think EVE is in competition with Neocron - several NC players have left to play EVE (admittedly the main two we are probably better of without ;)). Just because they are vastly different does not mean they are not in competition - there are very few MMORPGs which are even remotely similar to Neocron, yet it has a fairly small player base for one so uncontested. Look at how many threads there have been about other MMORPGs - Shadowbane, SW:G, none of them really like NC yet still in competition.

I think Sparrowtm's post should teach you a lesson about speculation anyway. :)

Celt
11-02-04, 04:32
My first point was regarding Matrix Games - they have published no MMORPGs The second point was regarding S&S.
Yes, you said SSI wouldnt publish a second mmo as it would be in competition with its first, but also pointed out matrixgames hadnt published any mmo's.

Which way is it?

Also, I think EVE is in competition with Neocron - several NC players have left to play EVE (admittedly the main two we are probably better of without ;)). Just because they are vastly different does not mean they are not in competition - there are very few MMORPGs which are even remotely similar to Neocron, yet it has a fairly small player base for one so uncontested. Look at how many threads there have been about other MMORPGs - Shadowbane, SW:G, none of them really like NC yet still in competition.
Everyone I personally know to have quit, did so because of generally a small group of reasons:

A)Bored of NC
B)Got boned by support
C)Sick of pvp

Just because someone who played NC decides to play SWG, doesnt mean he is leaving NC because of SWG(cause and effect and all that)

I think Sparrowtm's post should teach you a lesson about speculation anyway. :)
Speculation is entertaining.

QuantumDelta
11-02-04, 04:34
Yep.
The closest proximily I'd give is that from a business point of view, 10tacel will be representing the case of KK to publishers, more or less to the point that 10-T will be lawyer-esque, making sure KKs deals are in their own interests.

Or, at least, that appears to be how things are shaping up based on the little information available.

I'll be honest and say that's really a shot in the dark, but it seems more realistic than some of the comments I've seen made already...

Rieper
11-02-04, 04:35
peope get boned by support in every game. it starts out ok, then wankers exploit it, and BLAM crackdown. its the fault of the few for the support structure int eh mmorpg market. What we need is recognition of ingame property, thereby FORCING mmorpgs to have better security.

kurai
11-02-04, 04:43
Here we go ... http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90505 (MJS' post in the German forum [he hopes someone will translate it into English for us lot, so he can finally go to bed]) ;)

It actually all sounds much more promising than a straight venture capital buy-in.

The way it's being talked about is as a mutually beneficial merger, so that the Reakktor team can get on with their core business of developing (now with a healthy wedge of new capital to fund things), while 10tacel does the side of things they are good at - the finance and marketing bits (including, presumably hooking up with publishing and distribution channels)

In summary - 10tacel are the business to business guys who have obtained an inhouse developement crew - Reakktor are the development guys, who now have now gained a dedicated business infrastructure team.

If a) The capital was a fair valuation and a nice big sum, b) 10tacel really have the clout to pull in a heavyweght publisher/distributor then it's win/win, as far as I can see. :D

Since MJS will be on the board there's even some hope that there won't be too much interference in the creative side from the "suits" ;)

Scikar
11-02-04, 05:10
Yes, you said SSI wouldnt publish a second mmo as it would be in competition with its first, but also pointed out matrixgames hadnt published any mmo's.

Which way is it?

SSI haven't published any MMOs, any RPGs, or any MMORPGs, so therefore have no more experience in that field than 10tacel do. And as the translation of MJS' post shows, 10tacel actually do have publishing experience. Which just says wonders for your research.

Everyone I personally know to have quit, did so because of generally a small group of reasons:

A)Bored of NC
B)Got boned by support
C)Sick of pvp

Just because someone who played NC decides to play SWG, doesnt mean he is leaving NC because of SWG(cause and effect and all that)

How do you define competition then? What exactly would you use to describe the "I'm leaving this game, SW:G is better" threads? It also speaks wonders for your connections in the game - 90% of the players I know in this game are only still here due to the PvP.

Speculation is entertaining.

It's also misleading, often false, commonly baseless, and usually wrong.

Marx
11-02-04, 05:26

But it's a fun kind of misleading, often false, commonly baseless and usually wrong.

Celt
11-02-04, 05:54
SSI haven't published any MMOs, any RPGs, or any MMORPGs, so therefore have no more experience in that field than 10tacel do. And as the translation of MJS' post shows, 10tacel actually do have publishing experience. Which just says wonders for your research.
SSI(simon and schuster inc) published eve, as already said...duh...
10tacel have published 1 xbox game in germany(if even that).
As I already said.

Again, a big round of applause for Scikar, taking what I said and pretending I didnt say it.

How do you define competition then? What exactly would you use to describe the "I'm leaving this game, SW:G is better" threads?I havent seen many "im leaving because game X is better" threads, plenty of "im leaving NC, but im going to game XW"

It also speaks wonders for your connections in the game - 90% of the players I know in this game are only still here due to the PvP.
Wow, what a leap...
I was talking about people quitting, where did I even MENTION about reasons for people staying?

You're just plain grasping at straws now to throw veiled insults, cut it out it just makes you look stupid and out on a vendetta.

Do you even know what the definition of the word means?

Speculation is WHOLLY based on conjecture, and I'm sure you know what conjecture is?

Way to go with the veiled insults, your stupidity is going to get the thread locked again.

Rieper
11-02-04, 06:08
speculation can come because of a small amount of facts, it can be baseless or have inconclusive evidence to travel from. Speculation in this sense is being used as a substitute for guess..

Oh, and it isnt his stupidity thats gonna get this thread closed, its your insistence on jumping into threads and making arguments bordering on flames rather than discussing issues. When i see you post, i assume the thread will go downhill.

Celt
11-02-04, 06:18
Originally posted by Rieper
speculation can come because of a small amount of facts celt, you're wrong on that count.
Where did I say it couldnt come from a small amount of facts?
I hate quoting dictionaries, but here we go..

"sup·po·si·tion"Something supposed; an assumption
"spec·u·la·tion"A conclusion, opinion, or theory reached by conjecture.
Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition.

"Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.
A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork"

So, he posted "It's also misleading, often false, commonly baseless, and usually wrong."
Lets look at this.
"misleading": How can speculation possibly be misleading, when it's a guess, based on incoclusive evidence?
"often false": It is impossible for speculation to be false, it can be right, and wrong, BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE FALSE!
"commonly baseless": Again, look at the definitions. Of course it's commonly baseless, why does he say it as if it's a blackmark against it?
"usually wrong": And how can he POSSIBLY state this as a fact? It's impossible for him to know this, for anyone to know it.

Another person who doesnt know their english language, but insists on arguing in it anyway...

*yawn*

and it isnt his stupidity thats gonna get this thread closed, its your insistence on jumping into threads and making arguments bordering on flames rather than discussing issues. When i see you post, i assume the thread will go downhill.
Of course, I mean if you read the posts, you dont see people starting ridiculous arguments, and when failing resorting to insults against me.

Rather like you and Mr Delta, no?

Scikar is resorting to sophistry, and not very good sophistry at that.

40$Poser
11-02-04, 06:27
we it's official then, CDV got pwned

Ran
11-02-04, 06:30
Locked. Celt, I told you to stop flaming and you kept on.

If I get time later tonight then I might go through and edit it for a reopen, but I'm tired of seeing you blatantly ignore warnings.