PDA

View Full Version : Question: When I pwn its not pwn but when they pwn its pwn?

Shujin
10-02-04, 05:27
Today I had a bit of fun with my melee tank today, he's not a really great char and is about 45/46. Anyway, I was talkin to megaman v.2 on the subway there and he said there were some people there so i should watch out.

Well, i got there, found 2 monks that didnt expect someone to walk in instead of GR in ( there were about 50 dogtags on the ground from where people gr in and they oviously blew them to hell ). So i comensed to slicing them to bits. I killed the apu in about 10 slices, the ppu in about 20. After i did that i felt happy with myself as a noob tank killin 2 monks, which were both high rank **apu and ***ppu. so i said pwned ;D

well the lowbee seemed to think that i was wrong. so i killed him too. he sent in a clanmate of his to kill me... i killed him too(*tank w/ cs) ... well i again stated "pwned"
he then said that it wasnt pwnage due to the fact that the monks i killed werent even ready for my attack ( like the people who gr'd there was? ) and he is a noob char, and the clanmate was killed by stormbots he said ;P

now even if this was true. its still pwnage.
dont you think a noob melee tank should take every shot he can get?
or is it cheap.

because it seems to me if i see an opening i should take it. how the hell is anyone supposed to kill a fully prepared buffed ppu and apu monk?

Psychoninja
10-02-04, 05:31
Bleh Shujin, only monks can pwn, didn't you know?

naimex
10-02-04, 05:32
Ok itīs like this ::

You pwn them = Backstabber
They pwn you = Pwned

Keep those 2 in mind.. thatīs all you need to know about this subject.

Shujin
10-02-04, 05:33
Originally posted by Psychoninja
Bleh SHujin, only monks can pwn, didn't you know? MAH TOE ITCHES SOOO BADDD

Psychoninja
10-02-04, 05:34
Step on it until you can't feel it anymore.

Shujin
10-02-04, 05:35
Originally posted by Psychoninja
Step on it until you can't feel it anymore. that'd suck bcuz i dun got a toenail on the toe, so it'd hurt like hell.

Zanathos
10-02-04, 06:53
this has been plauging me since i first started seeing it.

wtf do people mean when they say owned

i have been assuming this means that you killed the person while taking little damage.

of course theres the retards that say owned even though you almost killed him. (Its besides the fact that he killed you, the fact is you did alot of damage to him but just not enough to kill him before he did you)

then whats with this pwned thing?

im just cunfused.

Shujin
10-02-04, 06:54
Originally posted by Zanathos
this has been plauging me since i first started seeing it.

wtf do people mean when they say owned

i have been assuming this means that you killed the person while taking little damage.

of course theres the retards that say owned even though you almost killed him. (Its besides the fact that he killed you, the fact is you did alot of damage to him but just not enough to kill him before he did you)

then whats with this pwned thing?

im just cunfused. u = pwned

Zanathos
10-02-04, 06:58
Originally posted by Shujin
u = pwned

That doesnt tell me anything. Could someone with a little more intelligence please explain to me what i mentioned above means?

Before i drop another IQ point please.

ill never truly understand this wierd internet language.

some short forms i use myself but i understand why they are used. in games, you need to type as quickly as possible to get your message across.

but hey, thats where programs like ventrilo and team speak come in. problem is getting as server.

Shujin
10-02-04, 07:14
Originally posted by Zanathos
That doesnt tell me anything. Could someone with a little more intelligence please explain to me what i mentioned above means?

Before i drop another IQ point please.

ill never truly understand this wierd internet language.

some short forms i use myself but i understand why they are used. in games, you need to type as quickly as possible to get your message across.

but hey, thats where programs like ventrilo and team speak come in. problem is getting as server. someone saying they own u is basicly sayin they basicly kicked your ass very badly.

and pwn, jus basicly came from people mistyping own, ( notice the o and p are right next to eachother )

pwn joo foo! ( pronounced Poe'nd jew fu )

wun
10-02-04, 07:50
Originally posted by Shujin
( pronounced Poe'nd jew fu )

i remember when this first started.. a few years ago...

but i thought it was pronounced 'pween'...

same with newbie -> noob -> nub -> nib...

i just remembered back when Q2 was the shit... when i'd join a server.. first thing i'd say be... 'hello..... TARGETS'... guaranteed to get u shot at a bit more :D (actually i still say it now when i join halo servers)

Shujin
10-02-04, 07:52
well i think of pwn as like own cept pown

Archeus
10-02-04, 09:30
Originally posted by naimex
Ok itīs like this ::

You pwn them = Backstabber
They pwn you = Pwned

Keep those 2 in mind.. thatīs all you need to know about this subject.

Thought it was more like.

You pwn them = lag/FRE.
They pwn you = Pwned.

naimex
10-02-04, 10:05
Originally posted by Archeus
Thought it was more like.

You pwn them = lag/FRE.
They pwn you = Pwned.

bah close. :p

Ultima
10-02-04, 10:27
4 wr0d n00bs u53 wh3n th3y ch4t 0n the 1nt3rn3t. 5p3ll3d pwnd 0r pwned. Fr0m t3h l00z3r5 th3t br0t j00 wr0d5 5uch 4s 00ber, n00b, r0xx0rs, 4nd 1337.

1 n3v3r u53 h4ck3rsp33k, th3r3f0r3 1 n3v3r u53 pwn.

---

or the following 2 would make sense, but if it was originally started this way it has been long since forgotton:

1)To take someone's King (in chess) with your pawn.
In SimpleSpeak : To beat the fuck out of you with little to no effort.
Pronounced : Pawned

2)Conjunction for "player owned".
as in (player)owned - powned - pown'd - pwn'd

*** think I just 'pwn'd' this thread :p ***

Nash_Brigham
10-02-04, 10:27
Owning someone is basically a term you see alot in UO, and have for quite sometime. Most of the d3wd speak came from UO. However, own refers to basically you beat em so bad you pretty much own them (basically they are a slave to you). Most cases, teh newblettes these days couldn't come close to owning anyone if they tried to.

Also, thanks to UO, you also get ppl like this--

you own them = lag/lost con/crash(fre)/they need their alt cha/they weren't ready for you/they let you win... the list goes on actually

they own you = owned (and they always own you even if you beat them within an inch of their life).

Erostratus
10-02-04, 10:56
I have thought about the term pawn and have come to a few conclusions.

One as stated earlier a chess term that found its way into fps. It seems when used this way it means the player beat the other player with nothing but skills which means you would need to beat someone who had skills to begin with.

An experienced player taking down a newbie isnt what I would consider being pawned using this term as no skills were needed to drop them.

This seems to be the crown jewel of the pawn usage and I would admit to being pawned by another player only if that player beyond a shadow of a doubt displayed outstanding skills during the fight which would be worthy of admiting being pawned.

The second thing it means to me is you owned the player to the point of being able to sell or 'pwn' their ass whenever you want. In other words stick your hand in my back pocket and hold my cigarrettes bitch. In this usage anyone who flat out pancakes another player using raw force and power to the point of being irresistable. These seems like a prison term if nothing else.

So it seems to me the monks were pwning people using the second usage and you pwned them using the first.

:)

steweygrrr
10-02-04, 10:58
Originally posted by Ultima
4 wr0d n00bs u53 wh3n th3y ch4t 0n the 1nt3rn3t. 5p3ll3d pwnd 0r pwned. Fr0m t3h l00z3r5 th3t br0t j00 wr0d5 5uch 4s 00ber, n00b, r0xx0rs, 4nd 1337.

1 n3v3r u53 h4ck3rsp33k, th3r3f0r3 1 n3v3r u53 pwn.

And the scary thing is i'm 20, never played CS and I STILL understand every errrrr.... word of that.

you pwn them = FPS/Lag/AFK
they pwn you = pwned

Mingerroo
10-02-04, 12:18
Erostratus I don't personally believe that the term came from chess or the second situation you described o_O.

Pwned is just like lol, or omg, or stfu. They have lost their meaning, been diluted by overuse. When people say lol nowadays they don't mean "I just laughed out loud", they mean "you made a joke". STFU doesn't mean what it originally meant, it just means "stop talking please" or "you don't know what you're saying".

Nib is a word I hate, as a sidenote of this topic, Coming from Newbie, to Newb was ok. Noob I can understand as it is slightly faster to type, then came N00b, a semi-joke at the overuse of so called "l33t" speak. Finally came nub, and with it the typing error consistent enough to make nib the newly used term.

The same has occurred with pwned. Although this degenerative incarnation of "owned" that caught on due to an overly apparent typing error no longer means "I destroyed you while you tried your very best but did little damage"... It now simply says "I won", whether it be by fair means or foul, 50 ranks higher or 50 ranks lower than your victim.

Shujin, you did well to slaughter them all, and anyone too damn arrogant to say "good kill", as I often do when my PKing characters get slaughtered, isn't worth worrying about. Neocron is about watching your back, and you must be pretty stupid to camp a GR and not expect somebody to come up behind you. :)

Steve

numb
10-02-04, 13:35
I just think it's the result of a typo of owned (which has been said for years in fps's etc)... p is very near o.

Maybe a bit like you get pr0n or when people say b0rked.

Actually I'm pretty damn sure that's the case.

People should just damn well learn how to type and there wouldnt even be need for these discussions. :)

edit: and I should damn well learn to be bothered to read the longer posts like above