PDA

View Full Version : Top end spies =Fun?

ezza
09-02-04, 15:00
decided to start leveling another spy, already got a 3 but there more trade skillers than combat chars.

so want to level up a spy, in the past the thing that stopped me capping my previous spies was cos it was boring to level with them and took me an age to do.

wasnt so knowledgable with leveling back then so proberbly why, i recon i can cut the leveling time down this time around, i managed to get to intel and dex to 30+ in a few hours of leveling while watching the tele:D

was more wondering how much fun they are once you hit the high level 60+

after watching andy constable messing about at CRP other night with his First love got me in to the mood to play a spy.

how much fun is it to play the spy though once you reach that high level.

now i not expecting them to be able to duel a tank like a PE can, but how good can they be in PvP & Pking, i figured out a good setup though may need a little tweaking as i go.

was planning on drugging to use shelter, this viable way of doing things with spy, i figure the xtra defence that the shelter gives would be worth it.

Original monk
09-02-04, 15:09
beware of cookiecuttersetups -> people tell em cause they suck anyway.

I play my fullcombatspy since beginning of retail, its majour fun.
Think in whole my neocron career i killed more people with my spy then with my monk :)

is it fun above 60 ? -> it owns :P

ok you are "weak" but when you play a spy correctly ya dont even get killed at all :)

i post later when the discussion gets more detailed

i can reccomend a spy to everyone + the riflekamichip owns to powerlevel a spy, i yust bought one yesterday cause i included the last one i had in a trade for a apu-one, im very happy i got one back, now i can finnaly level my poker/repper :)

its jard to cap a riflespy: but its fun, and thats the mainreason i play em + when ya have 50 hack it also own in WB hunting :)

ciao, have fun

Clownst0pper
09-02-04, 15:16
after watching andy constable messing about at CRP other night with his First love got me in to the mood to play a spy.

Andy Constable is blade. He has given him his account.

how much fun is it to play the spy though once you reach that high level.

It isnt to be honest, Kaolin was a first love user, Useless really, against most classes they loose terribly, in order to have good defence you really end up resorting to ruining your Damage.

Kaolin used to use a Kami chip, Inq 1, and a shelter.

Made for insane dmg/defence, but I was drugging a hell of a lot, and still not a practicle fighter, u die so quick to apus and tanks, and your con setup is so limited.

Pistol Spys are far more worth it, Or just use a pain easer

P4mp3rk3
09-02-04, 15:16
my spy is at 78 dex right now and I'm having trouble gettting good xp :(
Launchers are a bit easy and warbots are too hard (though I once managed to get 3 in a row without dieing ^proud^ )

anybody know where I should go level?? I'm gonna see what a commando rifle does to warbots, but for now I'm levelling SLOOOWWW

Original monk
09-02-04, 15:48
Originally posted by P4mp3rk3
my spy is at 78 dex right now and I'm having trouble gettting good xp :(
Launchers are a bit easy and warbots are too hard (though I once managed to get 3 in a row without dieing ^proud^ )

anybody know where I should go level?? I'm gonna see what a commando rifle does to warbots, but for now I'm levelling SLOOOWWW

lo, you can solo the first rooms of swampcaves with a healsanctum, heal, medium/low poisonbelt and a filter 2, maybe some antidotes for if you get into real troubles..

or, ya can team a team in the chaoscaves at crp and leech XP of others (very nice i must say)

or ya can hunt warbots: BUT keep a distance :)

or same way of teaming but then in the graves.

lots of possibilities ya see, go try em out pamperke

greets, groetjes

Patso
09-02-04, 16:03
I find levelling against Warbots quite good for XP.

Once you get enough dex (90) for the Power Armour and a good commando rifle, killing warbots is easy (before the Power Armour - just keep your distance). I have gained a fair few levels using this setup, just find an area with a moderate spawn of Warbots as getting more than 1 after you can be a challenge.

My commando now does 260 damage to a Warbot Titan so it doesn't take long to kill it.

For another challenge go for brutes and horrors, they are fast and hurt. Just don't keep your vehicle too close as I have lost many as they tend to blow up due to the area of effect 'stomp' of the brute!!!!

Sorontar
09-02-04, 16:07
@P4mp3rk3

One little gem I used to use for hunting WBs is........

Use a Fusion Rifle because the decreasing damage as the WB gets closer also works as a rangefinder. Just remember what damage you did before the WB came into range and fired and move before that point from then on. You're not leaving it to your naked eye then and have a solid figure to judge from.

If you're are new to WBs then F_08 is a nice zone for hunting WBs , Brutes , Horrors. There is plenty of cover from the hills and a house to retreat to if things get too hot.

Warlogis
09-02-04, 16:45
You can easy killing WBs as rifle spy with TL65-67 laser rifle (cant remember exact number - it ws SO much time ago) - at least 2 WBs in one time (cant remember about more).

IceStorm
09-02-04, 16:56
my spy is at 78 dex right now and I'm having trouble gettting good xp
Warbots. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of Warbots. Thousands of them.

You need around 350m to 800m range on your weapons to take down Warbots without getting hurt. depending on how many you want to kill at a time. TL70-ish rifles will give you that. The Tangent Epic rifle with an ammo mod is great for this purpose. Anything else, add an ammo mod, boost the frequency, then add damage/range or handling. Heavy Energy belt, Rifle PA1, antigamma bones, and possibly Psi 1 armor should do the trick, although if you're hunting in a Spiderbot-infested zone go with the regular Battle armor since it provides piercing/force protection.

And remember to either lure them away from their spawnpoints or push them away from their spawnpoints. As your damge per unit time increases, you'll find you can push them easier than luring them.

Elric
09-02-04, 17:06
if your clever you can easily take more than 3 or 4 WB's at a time. Once you damage a mob a certain amount it will turn round n run away (at least they used to, I guess they still do). Once youve got one warbot on the run (the more range or backing off allowance you can get on them the more warbots you can take at once) start on the next till it runs away, do the same on the next etc etc, at some point the first and second ones will start heading back towards you, at that point, either finish it off, before continuing on the current warbot, or damage it till it runs off again and contnue on the current one.

Rince n repeat, you can take loads of bots at once. The most I ever managed at once was 5, almost did 6 once but unfortunately my backing off area happened to spawn a madcopbot and a spiderbot thingy, who i had to shoot, and by that time 2 of the warbots caught up and killed me off. Damned exhilirating though :D

(this was using a combination of the Tangent epic rifle and a fusion rifle)

ezza
09-02-04, 17:09
ok we know we can kill warbys ;)

what about against other players, i remember a clan on saturn, jihad think the name was who were all stealthers, they used the spy to good use, remember them raiding the MB in 2-4 man co-ordinated stealth attacks, was prety cool watching they didnt seem to have to much problem with the killing element of the spy

Elric
09-02-04, 17:15
Originally posted by ezza
ok we know we can kill warbys ;)

what about against other players, i remember a clan on saturn, jihad think the name was who were all stealthers, they used the spy to good use, remember them raiding the MB in 2-4 man co-ordinated stealth attacks, was prety cool watching they didnt seem to have to much problem with the killing element of the spy

Thats the main area where spies are most useful, as teams. Droner teams, stealther teams, sniper teams etc etc... Being a spy is all about teamwork with other spys.

If you can get a team of 3 - 5 droners, theyre *almost* unstoppable (assuming appropriate communication is available), sniper teams of 2 - 4 will easily take out half of an opposing opwar force faster than any other classes and of course the well co-ordinated stealther teams as you mentioned.

hmmm, i miss my spy days....

Sleawer
09-02-04, 17:15
Raygun + Swamp Caves = teh win

Dont forget to bring a belt (the only piece of armor you will need in there) and some anti-drugs if things heat up. You wont believe the insane ammount of XP you'll get in there.

If you dont have any raygun use any other weapon then, laser or plasma if possible, the best TL avaible for you. Once you get to use RoG it is the best.. I liked to use FL to cap my int tho, at 100 dex I had 97 int.

winnoc
09-02-04, 17:17
Warbots, true

I guess i'm the only spy using a redeemer to hunt them, since i hate to waste my good Pain easer or my 4 slot SH on them :-)

Elric
09-02-04, 17:19
Redeemer is good for it too. Laser rifles have superior range so any are ideal. I used tangent epic due to the non-degradable aspect of it, saves wasting a nice rare.

Elric
Redeemer is good for it too. Laser rifles have superior range so any are ideal. I used tangent epic due to the non-degradable aspect of it, saves wasting a nice rare.

Sleawer
Btw did I mention that you will make millions of money in swamp caves?

Original monk
09-02-04, 17:20
depends on how you play: you can make youre spy into a semi PE with good armour and good resist but lesser offense powers, yust play carefull, as you would play a riflePE with bad consetup :)

or ya can make a pretty "weak" spy but all capped damages on rifles so ya can start sniping people or stay at a distance (for example on the border (first floor) in PP fully at the back) and start sniping people, in the wastelands you are the number 1 as long as you stealth away as soon as someone spotted you and start sniping em from another position :)

TRY it out ezza, TRY it out :)

the rangenerf that psi's got is extremely usefull for a spy, the HL-sniping was the onlything that could get me on my sniperspy :)

now ya gotta be carefull for stealthing PE's and for other spy's sniping you back, same with PE pe's and ffcourse tanks with there ravager or epiclaser :)

edit: Wb's: for warbots i prefer the pulselaserrifles, disruptor or stabber or sumthing, otherwise Healin light or the regular laserrifles, for the fast nice damage they do and the great accurancy :) i never used redeemer, ever :) not for pvm, not for pvp

FarSight
09-02-04, 17:43
Heh WB's hunting with spy is very fun ..... good adrenaline rush ... i usually start lvl on WB's with TAR .... only 2 thing you need is:
- use terrain wisely (height differences) .... if you are higher than WB and you see only his head (and can aim it), he cant shot at you and you can shot him .... he will be moving close/far to reach his LoF (Line of Fire) but if you move too he will be unable to fire even one shot at you....
- do not take more than 1 WB at once with TAR (with Pain Earser my record was 4 WB's at once in J_03 near towers ... good height diff :D) ....

you get good xp (as i remember 50k dex 40k int using Pain Earser), and nice cash + loot ... good place is J_02 (gogo in small house, good WB's spawn rate near bunker + CM Guard's if needed :D, if you have enought Recycle to make 5.56 ammo and Medkits you can hunt there for ages :D)...

With good imp's (+25 from 4 brain and spine ... mostly storebought) you should be able to switch to Pain Earser fast .....

cRazy2003
09-02-04, 18:11
my only main char is a spy and it is irritating, int is hard to level and even when u do cap u cant take part very well in fights at PP for example cos if a apu decides he wants ur belt ur pritty much dead, unless u manage to make it out or stealth. rifle spies own at sniping at OP wars but i find that boring to.
and in NF if theres a FFA and a tank pulls a dev out ur also dead.

ezza
09-02-04, 18:18
Originally posted by cRazy2003
my only main char is a spy and it is irritating, int is hard to level and even when u do cap u cant take part very well in fights at PP for example cos if a apu decides he wants ur belt ur pritty much dead, unless u manage to make it out or stealth. rifle spies own at sniping at OP wars but i find that boring to.
and in NF if theres a FFA and a tank pulls a dev out ur also dead. well tbh i dont intend to fight in PP with my spy, at least not like i would with my tank, i guess even combat spies cant stand up to a tank the way a PE can(maybe im wrong though)

im going to have about 50 psi use, will i be able to have any hack or should i forget it and throw all into weapon lore?

Netphreak
09-02-04, 18:19
I would have to say swamp cave out near regents is best no water to slow you down so you can run full speed healing and shooting.
If you want to kill warbots use rog. My spy can kill them in 8 shots up close! :D

P4mp3rk3
09-02-04, 18:53
I'll go try caves then, didn't know spies did any good there :)
Thanks for the advice everybody

Sleawer
09-02-04, 20:34
Ezza you can have hack and psu no problem. With my spy I hack OP's, have 55 psi use and enought weapon lore to cap aiming (and damage heh) in ALL rifles.

This is with a drug that drains 20 wep lore btw... but also the same drug allows me to use inq1 armors so I'd say it's a fair tradeoff for what it does.

@P4mp3rk3, be sure that the caves have water and that you are in the water all the time. Gravis is a good place to start...

mdares
09-02-04, 22:44
u want good spy advice go ask divide on saturn.

Q`alooaith
09-02-04, 22:56
Originally posted by mdares

Beat me to the punch.. Divide had(still has) a pretty good setup and it pretty good PvP too..

I'd say though that when playing a spy it's alway's good to rember, your about the weakest in term's or how many hit's you can take till you get heavy belts, and even then you need a good setup to last more than two hit's..

Also rember, you can get hold of so many diffrent damage type's, only posion is beyond you.. Alway's rember, you'll probably need to carry two diffrent weapon's, one for monk's and their mega etherial resist's and armor (energy Xray and fire they resist rather well) so a peirce/force weapon is pretty good idea.. and another for everyone else (people say mod for Xray, other's say mod for fire, it's all preference)

Original monk
09-02-04, 23:28
Originally posted by mdares

my fullcombatriflerspy went leeching info from divide, nuff said

altough i think he didnt knew it was me :)

divide is where ya wonna be for riflerspyinfo, but im sure there isnt anything he knows that jernau wouldnt know also :)

Sleawer
10-02-04, 00:38
Monks by default are the weakest class against uranium. Use it coupled with piercing and you are fine... but what I tell you eh ezza, you were a monk.

/edit: hum well now that I think outside my apu head prolly ppu's are less vulnerable to x-ray due hazard3 (a must for many ppu monks to cover poison).

ezza
10-02-04, 03:07
aye was a monk, its my spy who has taken the name of my deleted monk:)

Zanathos
10-02-04, 03:20
Ive been tinkering with a spy idea.

he would be purely meant for long range combat, purely meant.

because alot of his con points will go into athletics, 50 agility points, 100 TC points, rest in 50 to 75 body health, and then some in resists (basically he will be only resistant in energy and x-ray.

Ive all been figuring this in my head and have yet to use my skill manager to do this.

but yeah.... I think you know what im going for.

Liquid_Ice
10-02-04, 06:39
They are fun as hell with the SA SF zerk2 move on str 2 backbone setup.... I still capp damage + aim on my FL , which sucks IMO cause of the large number of misses, and can absorb a good amount of damage too.. The one thing I find to be a draw back is that if you OP fight you will be the last person looked at to get a rezz.. I have beaten a few capped CS tanks with it also using a RoG..

Mr. Chainsaw
10-02-04, 08:05
Anyone actually play a high end pistol spy? I was thinking of doing one, going with high tech pistols. You know, pop out of stealth in back of someone, blast them to pieces, then fade into the ether before anyone knows what's going on...assuming nothing goes wrong.

Morris
10-02-04, 09:30
Originally posted by Mr. Chainsaw
Anyone actually play a high end pistol spy? I was thinking of doing one, going with high tech pistols. You know, pop out of stealth in back of someone, blast them to pieces, then fade into the ether before anyone knows what's going on...assuming nothing goes wrong.

Yes, but even with a high RoF on RoLH or Slasher you won't exactly shred someone before they can put up a fight ;) People will try to sell you on the Kami/low defense + high offense pistol spy idea but that only works until you run into an APU or someone who can aim.

SorkZmok
10-02-04, 09:52
!) Roll a rifle spy. Make him pure r-c and t-.c in dex, pure runspeed in con and put in all dex and r-c imps you can get.
2) Roll a close combat spy.Rifles or pistols doesnt actually matter. Get up to str 49, work out a con setup, USE DRUGS.
3) If you dont like drugs, either go back to 1) or just roll a PE. Thats easier.