PDA

View Full Version : Making high level drones is not fun.

mr murb
08-02-04, 02:08
Making high level drones is not fun.

I challenge any KK employee to make 10 mosquito drones.
Research then construct them.
And not on capped characters either.
I think you should use characters with 180 research (with imps) and the same for construct. 150 if you want to have more fun.

Then ask yourself “did I just have fun?”
“How long did that take?”
“Why do I program or let people program things into Neocron that suck the fun out of the game?”

10 drones is not a lot of drones to make. I have made lots more in a sitting.

Now make 10 raptor drones you need some of those too.

Then go do something to increase the "fun".
There should be a reason they call this a game.

Clownst0pper
08-02-04, 02:10
it doesnt just stay to drones, its any TL 100 based none rare.

Its takes forever, and the amount and regularity at which you need drones is a nightmare, its come to the point where I dont even like asking researchers to do them!

Drones should construct quickly.

AND FIX THERE EXTERNAL VIEWS AND ADD SOUNDS KK :mad:

Maarten
08-02-04, 02:29
Simple problem, simple solution.

Reduce the time it takes to research an item. Or better, make duplicating a blueprint take as much time as it takes to research a TL30 (datacube) item. Would fix a lot and would make sense.

And for construction, make drones with slots possible. It increases the fun of constructing a lot. Shouldn't be hard to add a few quality improving mods.

Clownst0pper
08-02-04, 02:30
Amen to that sister :)

Vampire222
08-02-04, 02:38
on the other hand... a droner is unkillable (if you cant find him...), those drones, musquito in particular, own tanks and apus flat, other spies too lol, drone dies, spy doesnt... if it was easyer to build drones, wed have more of the fucking things in the sky!

ghandisfury
08-02-04, 02:44
Originally posted by Maarten
Reduce the time it takes to research an item. Or better, make duplicating a blueprint take as much time as it takes to research a TL30 (datacube) item. Would fix a lot and would make sense.

No, way to fast. Just cut by 50% research time. Then reduce failures by 75%...sorted.

Strych9
08-02-04, 02:46
I dont buy that reasoning vamp. First, ownage is based on the user not just the device.

Second, tons of more people are owned by CSs and HLs and devourers, and you only need to build one or two of them for a char maybe in the life of that char. Even if you argue higher, you still dont build CSs in batches of 10.

Plus other high level items you research the tech parts once, build it, its done. With drones, you research the tech parts, build it, then BP the TL 120 item over and over and build it over and over. And when you build it from a BP, its falls under the normal build rules not rare build rules, so you waste tons of lube on failures and end up with a drone that is 83% quality.

Mumblyfish
08-02-04, 02:48
Drones are hell, kids.

It's probably the only thing stopping half the server rolling a spy, though... so keep the skull-fucking in as regards drone construction.

Bob Monkhouse
08-02-04, 02:57
I agree, researching drones is NOT FUN. It takes far too long and the risk of failure is a constant pain. Building them is not much better, but is a little quicker at least. If the player had some sort of interaction to ensure the process flowed smoothly, ala Hacking, I could see the point in a long process. ATM preparing drones is as much fun as Lomming.

ghandisfury
08-02-04, 03:00
Originally posted by Bob Monkhouse
ATM preparing drones is as much fun as Lomming.

Yup, and lava baths.....hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.....sticking multiple sharp objects in your eyes....Ahhhh the fun.

mr murb
08-02-04, 03:06
My droner has always been a droner.

This problem just bugs me more now because there are new drones.

I have cabinets full of particle nemesis, punisher, and revenge drones.
I have a built a lot of drones.
Before, the punisher was the worst to make but that is a PVM only drone.
You just don’t loose that many of them. So you didn’t have to make that many.
Not like the PVP drones, get in a good (or bad) op fight and you can go thru every drone you can carry.
I know I will be building lots of mosquito drones in the next few months.
I just wish it was more fun.

Wanting to have fun while playing a game is not a big request.

And don't get me started on loming - that is another fucked up thing in this game.

Darth Slayer
08-02-04, 03:23
Tradeskilling especially constructing is fine.
Trust me I play SWG off and on and tradeskilling in that is like having a real time job.....:(

Scorpius.

Psycho Killa
08-02-04, 03:28
You consider clicking a button and staring at a screen for hours IN A FUCKING GAME fine?

You must be crazy last I checked games where to have fun not click and look at a screen all day yipeee!!!

I can see the little kids now....
Mommy mommy can we click all day again that was fun!

Nysh
08-02-04, 03:36
Here's another idea. Nerf E Parts Tech Levels. THese things take so long, and all I ever get from them are Drone parts and the occasional Moon Striker or Obliterator Part. Not worth the time/trouble for them imo. I mean, at least make more good E weapons or something.

Darth Slayer
08-02-04, 13:24
Originally posted by Psycho Killa
You consider clicking a button and staring at a screen for hours IN A FUCKING GAME fine?

You must be crazy last I checked games where to have fun not click and look at a screen all day yipeee!!!

I can see the little kids now....
Mommy mommy can we click all day again that was fun!

Please PK compared to a lot of other Online Tradeskill systems, Neocron isn't all that bad. Besides if you don't like doing it nobodys forcing you to.
Me I just alt tab and surf the net if I'm doing stuff for myself or clannies.

Furion
08-02-04, 13:30
Originally posted by Darth Slayer
Please PK compared to a lot of other Online Tradeskill systems, Neocron isn't all that bad. Besides if you don't like doing it nobodys forcing you to..

this is NC tho, not another online game. we dont have to compare it to antoher game, it simply takes a LONG TIME, not a long time compared to something else.........

and yes, he is forced to make drones, or he has no weapons to fight with...

Breschau
08-02-04, 13:34
Please PK compared to a lot of other Online Tradeskill systems, Neocron isn't all that bad.
The existance of worse elsewhere does not make the bad here and now any better.

Strych9
08-02-04, 15:04
Me I just alt tab and surf the net if I'm doing stuff for myself or clannies. If you LEAVE the game while doing stuff IN GAME, that just proves that there is something wrong.

SeXy Happy
08-02-04, 19:22
Something really needs to be done about this KK, hopefully this will be fixed with Doy but I wish we could have some word on this. I get laughed at anytime I need drones built. No one wants to do them because of the huge amount of time it takes. I can spend a day wandering around trying to find someone to do a batch job for me, because no one wants to touch them.

This does not make the game fun. It seems the only way you can have a lot of fun in the game now is to be a cookie cutter. You have given us more toys *applause*, now make it somewhat viable to get the damn things made.

It's easy for all other classes to get their weapons created because they only need to make one once. We need tons.

Have you ever tried to get a batch job of 50 TL 120 drones made? Good luck! And the bad thing is that you really need 100 and not 50, but you come out in the end with 5. 5!!! That will not last long at all in an OP battle.

I hope KK sees the problem with this and fixes it, I hate wandering around asking to get crap built all the time. KK really just needs to look at the droning class in general. There are just way too many things going wrong with it.

Darth Slayer
09-02-04, 21:03
H'mmm to be honest here I believe Tradeskilling is mean't to be a kinda Timesink. A friend of mine is in the Gunsmith trades he makes the stocks for shotguns and big bore rifles it can take him 6 months or longer to just make the stock. Heh they have some pretty rich customers. Now normal wpns or items and such go down a production line and are knocked out in weeks if not days.
Now your average Tradskiller is Handcrafting a weopon here, maybe say if your at a Friendly factory you can build quicker, also if you are building items which can't be slotted this also should be quicker, but for slotted items one would assume that you are taking your time crafting the item to get the maximum possible chance of slots.
Oh well theres my 2 cents worth.....:)

Scorpius.

Breschau
09-02-04, 21:23
but for slotted items one would assume that you are taking your time crafting the item to get the maximum possible chance of slots.
I don't think slots (and the mechanics behind them) really have any place in a realism comparison. ie, saying you're taking your time to improve slot chance. Cos then you have to explain how on some (most) occasions you forget how to leave space for a silencer on your gun.. or how when you do remember to leave space for a silencer you can choose instead to install a radioactive ammo modification instead.. and installing that scope means you can't fit a silencer anymore.

Slots are a purely artificial mechanism to make crafting a little more interesting; so it's more than just a % quality, there's slot #s to, well, not aim for (can't really work towards slots), but hope for at least. They're not an rp or in-theme reason for *anything* about the way things do or should work.

A trivial point really. But that aspect of the slot system has always been a pet peeve of mine.

SeXy Happy
09-02-04, 21:40
Also, there are no slots in drones, so we are at a loss there. The problem is that droners need a lot of drones, a Tank doesn't NEED 40 CS's built, a PE doesn't NEED 40 Judges built. We are the only class that is expected to lose their weapons on a constant basis, and if you are talking in terms of Revenges, you know that once you fire your weapon is gone for good. And those are a highly used rare, so consider that everytime you fire a CS you would lose your weapon.

Droners know this when they take on the role, however, what most don't know is that once they get to their higher TL drones that they will want to use for combat, that they will need a lot of them, and no one will want to make them.

So you then have a droner running around for hours trying to find someone to do a batch job, or going from researcher to research and constructor to constructor getting 5 here and 5 there until they have enough. Plus those people are expecting great tips for their time, and what you have is a money pit on top of the fact that droners are a money pit to begin with, what with having to buy the parts on top of it all for the many drones that they will need to have built.

I constantly try to keep 249 of all weapon parts 1 thru 5 in my inv, alot of good it does me though as I can rarely find people who want to do batch jobs for me. Luckily I have clanmates that will help out when they are on, but when they aren't and I need them made I have to go elsewhere if I can. On top of it all, drones don't stack in the inv or cabs and you end up buying additional apts just to hold the drones you have.

Droners need to have a way to stack their drones in the inv and cabs and to be able to get them ressed and built quickly and efficiently to where tradeskillers might actually want to touch them.

Archeus
09-02-04, 21:50
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Drones are hell, kids.

It's probably the only thing stopping half the server rolling a spy, though... so keep the skull-fucking in as regards drone construction.

I totally agree with this. The only thing keeping the droners in check is the pain constructing drones. If they were like water they would be mass producing revenges/raptors/mossies.

Give them more drone types, even give them slots (a reason to protect the drone more) but leave the time to build the same.

What would be nice for researching is a subgame (anyone play Acranox?)

SeXy Happy
09-02-04, 22:02
So basically you are agreeing that to be a droner means that you will have to go through the pain of getting your weapon???

Dude THAT is the reason no one wants to be a droner, on TOP of all the other drone bugs. It's not like you would be opening flood gates if the construction of your weapons were easier, it would just be a relief to droners.

Crap like this is what makes people reroll their droner, "Here kids here is some different candy, but don't worry it tastes like shit, so you can have all you want because no one else wants it"

Strych9
09-02-04, 22:18
I am not sure I buy the idea that construction times are meant to keep the droner population in check.

Its not like construction times JUST NOW increased with the last two patches.

Or have we forgotten that drone build times sucked even back when no one wanted to drone??? :rolleyes:

Yeah, before the recent patch of fixes... and back before droners had any decent imps (before drone eye and exp mind control and drone distance cpu)... back when drones had all sorts of bugs... they STILL had lame construction times for their drones. So whats your analysis for that? The utter lack of support for droners wasnt enough to keep people away, so they had to heap on top of that slow construction times?

And why would they fix droner bugs and make things easier for droners, if their ACTUAL goal was to keep the masses of droners at bay?

mdares
09-02-04, 22:29
i build capped pns and punishers on my tl 100 cst... :D

SeXy Happy
09-02-04, 22:37
Building batch jobs of drones is hard to get done by people, no one wants to do it. The result are droners wasting their time trying to get drones built that no one wants to build for them.

It's a joke and it needs to be fixed or else even with all the bug fixes and neat things that come out for droners, no one will want to play them.

And who can blame them when they can walk on easy street by making a tank or a monk?

bounty
09-02-04, 22:38
Why not spread out your business.
Instead of asking one constructor to do 20 PN's ask 4 to do 5 each. They usually only get pissed off if its a huge batch, and most simply won't "have time."

If you ask me, drones are a big reason why the economy in NC is still going strong atm.

mr murb
09-02-04, 22:40
I don’t have a problem finding someone to research / build drones for me.
On Saturn I have dedicated construct / research mules for this.
I don’t see how others manage even with a clan.
Given the drone-o-cron that seems to be bubbling, I would hate to be the
research / construct focal in a clan with lots of droners.
But I get all the pain of making them myself.
I must have bought 400k of parts and chems this weekend to restock my gogo.

To say that such and such game has trade skills that are even less fun than Neocron misses the point of this thread.
And to compare real life trade skills to what is in the game is just bizarre.

I have to say I like the mosquito.
(they need to fix how it looks to make it look like a gatling drone in your inventory)
Die runners die.
I like the weight reduction in drones.
With capped strength I can carry a lot off them.

I still get the "I can’t launch my drone" bug.

I am waiting for the current crop of new droners to realize what some of the droning problems / limitations of droning are.
It is just a matter of time to when the new batch of "droning is bugged" threads appear.

mdares
09-02-04, 22:40
if u want an easy time with drone building, ask a droner constr. then pay him with a little cash and one of the drones (assuming its a rare drone so its worth it).

SeXy Happy
09-02-04, 22:43
So from my limited choice of tradeskillers on Pluto I now should be forced to jump back and forth between them?

No wonder no one wants to play droners. No while others get to go to OP wars we have to sit it out because we are trying to find the tradeskillers. If there are even any online, it's not like there are a huge amount of researchers just hanging around you know. That is why it takes days just to get enough drones to last you one full play session of droning. Then it is back to getting them built again. All the while your other characters are out there having fun exploring NC.

They should say at the beginning of the game "Pick droners if you want to hang out all day begging people to make you weapons only to see them blown out of the sky!" Yippie mommy!!!! I want to be a money pit can I, huh huh, can I?!!!:rolleyes:

Darth Slayer
10-02-04, 01:09
Simple answer Sexy is to be Droner /Constructor like me then all u need is someone to supply Bp's.
130 in construction and rest in Willpower is more than enough with a good implant setup.
Pure droners with having a sexy 80+ attack rank do somehing like 3 points or so more damage than my attack rank of 75 and I've specced T-C to be able to stealth.
An example a Droner attack rank 87 attacks me in Graves he hits me I drop my drone get ****** drone bug hits me twice more I stealth evade, heal and kill him. If all the newb droners are like this one I'm happy......:D
But I digress seriously Lom some construction onto your droner, just swap imps around when u want to construct is all.

SeXy Happy
10-02-04, 01:37
Only problem with that is I already spec for hacking as well. Constructing would seriously gimp my droner. Hacking goes hand in hand with droning, so I don't really want to gimp myself any more than I already have.

Darth Slayer
10-02-04, 20:11
Fair comment I assumed you was a pure droner sorry.

Strych9
10-02-04, 20:34
Originally posted by SeXy Happy
Only problem with that is I already spec for hacking as well. Constructing would seriously gimp my droner. Hacking goes hand in hand with droning, so I don't really want to gimp myself any more than I already have. Hand in hand? I dunno- considering droning puts your body AWAY from the action and hacking has your body AT the action... I dont personally agree they go hand in hand.

Darth, there is no need to switch imps to have a good constructor/droner. My droner is almost done- but his final imp setup will be SS, Hawkings, SRI, and RD. Exp Reflex Booster 4 for spine, droner eye 3.

Fire up skill manager, and assuming you can switch out the normal psi glove with the constructor glove when you want to build... you can end up with a great droner/constructor with only switching the glove.

-=z=-
10-02-04, 20:49
Hacking and droning go "hand in hand" due to the bonus RCL gives to hacking.

From the skill guide:
Hacking: 0.9(90%) HCK + 0.1(10%) RCL

But a Droning constructor is an excellent choice. Constructing allows you to level strenght which isn't done by droning unless doing missions, and droning requires lots of drones to be built.

For me I would rather have the research time reduced than the construction time. But combined, the research and construction time is a pain when building drones, I'm just glad I've got my mules to do my own work. I've read before where someone suggested that each build should supply 3-5 drones rather than one. The weapon parts could be increased to make up for the increased quantity, but this would be a huge relief to droners.