PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to setup two PC's on a Network

garyu69
07-02-04, 18:28
I'm having trouble setting up two PC's so that they are on a network. Me and my friend want to set them up so we can play LAN games and play NC on my net connection but i can't get it to work.

We are both on Win 2k and i have hooked them up with the required cable but then what? I can't find the other PC :(

MythosYuga
08-02-04, 05:14
Good question. I'm having the same problem. Me and my friend are playing over the same LAN but we're kicking each other off the game when one of us crashes or logs out. We've just dealt with this problem as another aspect of the game, even though I know this problem has nothing to do with Neocron itself. We're both running WinXP over a Linksys router. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Richard Blade
08-02-04, 07:33
For stuff like that, you have a few things you have to determine.

How much bandwidth do you have available.
a. If it's small you might want to buy a router, or software that acts as a router.
b. If you have a lot, you can use internet connection sharing that is built into windows 98 and up.

ICS has a little overhead and might lower your average ping a little. On dial up, it's not worth it. On cable, no problem. Although, I suggest getting a router.

If you use ICS you need to configure one machine as the host, and the other (rest) should configure automatically if you have it grab an ip address from the host on boot up. ICMP I think it's called.

If you use a router, you can set all the ip's how you want them as long as you follow the standard numbering convention for private networks.

For setting up Neocron on that network, each machine needs a copy installed. In the neocron.ini add the line, (LOCALPORT = "XXXX") Where, "XXXX" is a number around 6000 - 6999. You might use others, but these I know work well. Add "1" to the value for each machine. So, machine 1 is 6000, machine 2 is 6001, until you run out of machines. :) Mega Lan party.

Internet connection sharing doesn't require any ports being opened or anything, but a router might require that you make some settings for ports and protocol types. Like http or ftp get blocked on some routers, or time out after a certain number of minutes idle. Neocron did that on mine until my friend figured it out and set it. I'm glad he's smarter than me.

Psyco Groupie
08-02-04, 08:36
Originally posted by Richard Blade

For setting up Neocron on that network, each machine needs a copy installed. In the neocron.ini add the line, (LOCALPORT = "XXXX") Where, "XXXX" is a number around 6000 - 6999. You might use others, but these I know work well. Add "1" to the value for each machine. So, machine 1 is 6000, machine 2 is 6001, until you run out of machines. :) Mega Lan party.

That should be your problem