PDA

View Full Version : Why is storebought psi stuff so good...

Mr. Chainsaw
05-02-04, 22:49
I'm just curious why it works this way. You buy a gun from Archer and wesson, it's garbage, you NEED to get something built. A psi module, thugh, is always better quality from yakarma, and sometimes you even get a slot with it! Why does it work this way? Are Crahn construction techniques just that much better than tangent?

Glok
05-02-04, 22:52
It doesn't matter for modules that need high damage stats, basically all but the skill boosters. You still have to have them constructed to be any good.

Quede
05-02-04, 22:53
Weapons max at 178%, PPU at 576% and APU is even high at
I believe 648%?

So as you can see the gap is quite large. Its not really better,
just the gap is larger for Psi Modules.

Maarten
05-02-04, 22:54
Originally posted by Quede
Weapons max at 178%, PPU at 576% and APU is even high at
I believe 648%?

So as you can see the gap is quite large. Its not really better,
just the gap is larger for Psi Modules.

Which also doesn't make any sense to me? Sure the cap is at 648%, but it's not harder to reach 648% for an APU then to reach 178% for any other class.

Back on-topic.
At least make shop-bought weapons normal or cool quality. I prefer cool and make YO vendors and Outzone vendors sell normal/bad stuff.

I still prefer my idea of having tradeskillers build the stock of the basic vendors... :)

Mr_Snow
05-02-04, 22:56
The main reason why is that level 3 boosters are not BPable while all non-rare weapons are so the shop bought level 3 boosters have to be of a decent quaility.

Maarten
05-02-04, 22:56
And why are the lvl 3 boosters not constructable again? :confused:

Ascension
05-02-04, 22:58
Originally posted by Mr_Snow
The main reason why is that level 3 boosters are not BPable while all non-rare weapons are so the shop bought level 3 boosters have to be of a decent quaility.

also anyone notice Psi armour doesnt drop from mobs?

Mr Friendly
05-02-04, 23:00
u dont naturally think a magical spell would be built better than a machine made of metal & iron? O_o ;) :D

Spoon
05-02-04, 23:10
Why are all the store bought spells better quality?

Because MJS and the Devs all play monks, that's why........

And yeah, store bought weapons should be at least "normal" quality(in VR, Plaza, MB, TH and the Canyon)......
I can't see a weapon shop in Via Rossa selling poor weapons, it just doesn't seem to make sense.....

Opar
05-02-04, 23:20
Originally posted by Spoon
Why are all the store bought spells better quality?

Because MJS and the Devs all play monks, that's why........

Ever seen MJS in-game? @@

Maybe psi weps are so good because buying psi boosters is so expensive.... Or maybe not.

J. Folsom
05-02-04, 23:22
Well, the most usual explanation for this is that not all store-bought spells can be researched and constructed, thus selling them only at low quality would technically be a monk nerf.

Ascension
05-02-04, 23:24
Originally posted by Opar
Maybe psi weps are so good because buying psi boosters is so expensive.... Or maybe not.

also dude.. anyone ever realised u cant by psi boosters from Ops either?

Quede
05-02-04, 23:25
Originally posted by Maarten
Which also doesn't make any sense to me? Sure the cap is at 648%, but it's not harder to reach 648% for an APU then to reach 178% for any other class.

Because there is a larger gap to fill between 80 - 576
then 50 - 178 or whatever store bought spells/weapons happen
to be.

I do not disagree that store bought weapons should be
of at least a usable quality so people can function a bit better
without the need of a constructor, albeit a player made weapon
will always be more desirable.

With the introduction of player run shops I guess the point
will soon be moot.

Also don't forget ALL classes use some psi modules so the
harder to cap argument doesn't really fit. Its harder for a tank
to cap a heal then a PE, etc.

Carinth
06-02-04, 00:00
A monk that uses store bought spells is a sucky monk. Unless the spell is low enough tl that you can cap it without slots, but that takes a fairly low tl. If you don't agree then you're just used to sucky monks I guess. The difference is incredible. 4/5 slotted spells make a ppu so much better. Do you think we like building 100/300/500 spells to get our 4/5 slotters, just for fun?
For example, if I lower my psu by just 30 points (210 to 180), I will go from super ppu, to average ppu. No kidding, that's what happened while I took up hacking. My spells were significantly slower, enough that I couldn't pull off rebuffs fast enough anymore. I was so relieved when I lomed back, with speed back to normal.

We need slots absolutely, we need to squeeze every single point we can get out of the spells and our skills. Maybe you forgot, but we're the only class with 3 needed skills under one stat. If you're a hybrid you need 4 under one stat. There are only so many points, being a hybrid is a serious headache trying to set yourself up exactly right. Then we have the fact that monks use non rares more then any other class. So most others move on to rares and can easily make them artifact. Monks, especialy ppus, have to struggle with very low base stats on non rares. Pretty much any spell over tl 95 is a pain, requiring high slots to be decent. So not only do we need slots due to our available points, and because the base stats on our spells are so low, but we also need more then a dozen spells. How many non rare rifles do you use? You could name every single high end non rare rifle, and I'd still have way more non rare spells I need.

Ain't life a bitch? Seriously, I don't know why people keep feeling the need to say monks have an unfair advantage. Maybe its jealousy? If you knew anything about being a monk, you'd know we have so many things stacked against us, it's amazing we're very powerful at all. Infact it makes it that much worse to be overpowered while still haveing major problems and biases set against you. Noone will ever let us fix the problems with our class, we'll just get reduced to unviability.

Psychoninja
06-02-04, 00:03
Originally posted by Carinth
Ain't life a bitch? Seriously, I don't know why people keep feeling the need to say monks have an unfair advantage. Maybe its jealousy? If you knew anything about being a monk, you'd know we have so many things stacked against us, it's amazing we're very powerful at all. Infact it makes it that much worse to be overpowered while still haveing major problems and biases set against you. Noone will ever let us fix the problems with our class, we'll just get reduced to unviability.

Couldn't of said it better myself :cool:

Strych9
06-02-04, 01:40
Originally posted by Carinth
Ain't life a bitch? Seriously, I don't know why people keep feeling the need to say monks have an unfair advantage. Maybe its jealousy? If you knew anything about being a monk, you'd know we have so many things stacked against us, it's amazing we're very powerful at all. Infact it makes it that much worse to be overpowered while still haveing major problems and biases set against you. Noone will ever let us fix the problems with our class, we'll just get reduced to unviability. I cant speak for a pure APU, but Carinth speaks the truth about PPUs for sure.

Everyone sees PPUs surviving fights and assumes they have it easy. But being a PPU is a chore and a half. An average player can be a good tank. And average player will never be a good PPU. Most average players wouldnt even put up with the hassle of spell/resource management that comes along with being a PPU.

Mr_Snow
06-02-04, 01:46
i dont see how it gives monks an advantage really, I suppose they can use store bought weapons but they are shit at all levels so slow down their levelling if they do so end up having them constructed anyway.

KramerTheWeird
06-02-04, 01:53
I can tell you this much. I can level and not even really consider replacing my storebought psi modules for constructed ones. Compared to other weapons, I feel like I can't even level without at least a no slotted constructed one.