PDA

View Full Version : Dark/Gothic MMORPGs?

-FN-
05-02-04, 10:37
Anyone know of any? I just finished watching Underworld (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320691/)... and was thinking how cool it would be in an MMORPG if you could pick a Lycan, a Vampire, and other typically "evil" stuff...

How about it KK? When DoY comes out, throw in an Undead (vampireish), Morphing (werewolfish), and other non-human classes. I'm not much for fantasy games, but these types of "altered" human classes are just kinda neat... and the Underworld of innate class skills + GUNS would just be awesome hehe

Nysh
05-02-04, 10:39
Underworld was a shitty movie.

[edited for violation of the forum rules]

Dade Murphey
05-02-04, 10:43
I don't think Lycanths or Vampires or even modified human versions of these would fit NC so much...but I loved Underworld...and I don't think FN really meant Gothic in the depressed-goth-kid sense...Gothic usually is more of a setting or a discriptive term, a style of architecture...that sort of thing...

Underworld had a great story and was a cool interpretation of vampires and werewolves...very Vampire the Masquerade-esqe

Nysh
05-02-04, 10:57
Gothic usually is more of a setting or a discriptive term, a style of architecture...that sort of thing...

A setting that appeals primarily to depressed goth types :p

Oath
05-02-04, 11:06
If people learn to rp outside the normal mould........for example...

Runner A) Bloodthirsty vampire manwhore.
Runner B) Bloodthirsty vampire manwhore.
Runner C) Bloodthirsty vampire manwhore.
etc. etc. etc.

Games like this never pan out coz its so fucking boring when everyones the same thing......

Sadly its also what neocron lacks...... and its one of the major problems i have with it.

Idealy.

Runner A) Bloodthirsty vampire manwhore.
Runner B) Normal Human
Runner C) Vampire Killor

Thats a balanced situation and freely open to rp situations however............its not gonna happen is it......lets be honest, no-one wants to play either the good guy or the weak assed human.

So yeah.......

Point being if they can enforce some sort of basic roleplaying then yeah.......it could work, if not then it's a flop straight away.

Dade Murphey
05-02-04, 11:13
Originally posted by Nysh
A setting that appeals primarily to depressed goth types :p

Pfft...I'm neither goth nor depressed...haha...and some of my favorite movies are The Crow, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dark City...and now I think Underworld will probably be on my list...I love the Gothic setting...Maybe they need a Vampire: The Dark Ages or Vampire: The Masquarade MMORPG...haha...that'd be interesting :D

Archeus
05-02-04, 11:19
In Ireland we don't call them goths, they are depressed mimes.

Comie
05-02-04, 11:38
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
I don't think Lycanths or Vampires or even modified human versions of these would fit NC so much...but I loved Underworld...and I don't think FN really meant Gothic in the depressed-goth-kid sense...Gothic usually is more of a setting or a discriptive term, a style of architecture...that sort of thing...

Underworld had a great story and was a cool interpretation of vampires and werewolves...very Vampire the Masquerade-esqe

actually, thinkning aboout it, it could be a fucked up experiment by protopharm, (the vamp thing). as they got access to movie data, and thought 'we can do that' but they screwed up so its spread... (sun light bah.. just use SPF 5000 - they should be fine)

werewolves... Black dragon design. wanted to enhance their thugs to kill their enemies better.. they asked Biotech and PP to see what they could 'summise' Imps (such has hair growth hormones. adrenal enhancers. titainium teeth and claws. extending bone implants to increase height/width to allow accelerated muscle growth (or something))

can be fitted in.. they 'could' be around spy's and tank archetypes (in that order) as a vamp PSI would be way to hardcore.. maybe it screws with the victims concentration. so they cant focus the

robdekoning
05-02-04, 13:17
I dont like goths or gothic, makes me sad, i dont like to be sad

Benjie
05-02-04, 13:20
Just live and let live will you?

Don't like or dislike someone for who/what they are, it's totall bullshit.

Q`alooaith
05-02-04, 13:23
WHOL is kinda dark..

Warhammer, and Warhammer 40K are both quite dark world's, many people ignore the fact that SM's are racists, Eldar are self serving, IG have antipathy toward's their own men, billion's more where they come from..

Though it's hard to make a good commercail Dark and dissturbing MMOG, simply because you can end up cutting out half you player base with a ESRB rating..

numb
05-02-04, 13:24
There is a horror style mmorpg called priest (www.gamepriest.com) - I believe it is out but has been awaiting translation to english for YEARS.

Not sure if it has vampires in it though, havent read about it for ages. It does look very good though.

I always enjoyed morrowind (although it's single player) - you can become undead if you get bitten by a vampire in it :)

Dade Murphey
05-02-04, 13:37
Priest looks fuckin cool...I'd love to try it...when I first found out about it about 4 or 5 months back it was in beta in Korea...I was so tempted to use something to translate the pages and sign up for beta...hahah

Nysh
05-02-04, 13:37
The Crow, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dark City

Why does everybody like The Crow? That movie had such horrible acting/dialogue :/

Dark City kicks ass though.

Q`alooaith
05-02-04, 13:39
People liked the crow because the hero was not the good guy..

There are better film's, but hey, it's all relative..

Chaplin
05-02-04, 16:06
Originally posted by robdekoning
I dont like goths or gothic, makes me sad, i dont like to be sad

And I dont like you, makes me sick and i dont like to be sick... :rolleyes:

topic ?

sw1tch
05-02-04, 16:12
yeh i watched underworld 2 days ago, was better than i was expeting.

They actually paid people to make an underworld half-life 1 mod as publicity before the release, only about 4-5 maps, but it was quite fun, briefly played it over a LAN.
I wish more film companies would pay people to make free mods to publicise the game, instead of trying to sell a game version which is usually utter tripe, ie enter the matrix (still matrix online looks to be decent)

J. Folsom
05-02-04, 16:24
You're probably best off waiting for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6026606.html), which will probably be the closest to a dark/gothic MMORPG you'll get, assuming it has the multiplayer support the original Vampire: The Masquarade PC game had.

Otherwise there's nothing being worked on as far as I know, but I'm not really into the whole vampire/goth/whatever thing.

There's some Pen and Paper Vampire stuff as well :p
Problem is finding slightly sane people to play those with.

•Super|\|ova•
05-02-04, 16:35
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
and now I think Underworld will probably be on my list

I surely hope it wont be :) I mean it's one of the shittiest movies I've seen in a long time :lol:

ZoneVortex
05-02-04, 17:00
urrg I watched Dark City after a 2 day LAN party ... hadn't slept for a while.... didn't understand anything at all; all I remember are that red chick in the dress' boobs.

Judge
05-02-04, 17:53
Originally posted by J. Folsom
You're probably best off waiting for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6026606.html), which will probably be the closest to a dark/gothic MMORPG you'll get, assuming it has the multiplayer support the original Vampire: The Masquarade PC game had.

I am almost wetting myself in anticipation for that game... HL2 can go fuck itself tbh, I'm definitely getting Vampire. :)

BTW, what the fuck does everyone have against Goths? Pah, noobs.

Oath
05-02-04, 18:10
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
WHOL is kinda dark..

Warhammer, and Warhammer 40K are both quite dark world's, many people ignore the fact that SM's are racists, Eldar are self serving, IG have antipathy toward's their own men, billion's more where they come from..

Though it's hard to make a good commercail Dark and dissturbing MMOG, simply because you can end up cutting out half you player base with a ESRB rating..

Space marines aren't racist their genocidal as are all imperial factions... Eldar have a more 'You dumb me no like' attitude.

Mr. Chainsaw
05-02-04, 18:21
Space Marines are more...speciesist I guess, as are the rest of the Imperium. What's your point, Xenos scum? :P

I love post-apocalyptic themes, as well as horror ones. I loved Necropolis in the original Fallout, we could use something like that...oh wait it's called Regent's Legacy :P But seriously, I like horror themes, I hope the DOY is a very creepy place.

Oh yeah, don't knock goths until you've dated one. Seriously, they're not all "life is pain" people. Those people who stand outside the mall with spikes through their faces looking like they're five seconds from killing themselves? We like to call those "gummy goths." Real goths are much cooler, they tend to have taste:) Besides, it's great to not have to buy flowers for someone when it's much more romantic to bring them dead roses :P

Oath
05-02-04, 18:32
Originally posted by Oath
Space marines aren't racist their genocidal as are all imperial factions... Eldar have a more 'You dumb me no like' attitude.

Oh yeah........i play chaos: Death guard!!!1iebeibeie

MkVenner
05-02-04, 18:37
Nah Black Templars r L33t

Duder
05-02-04, 18:47
I heard this (http://www.livejournal.com/community/gothicons/) is a good gothic MMORPG.