PDA

View Full Version : Faction Items/Medals - Official Clarification Please

jernau
05-02-04, 00:23
Other than a passing mention in a set of patch notes and the latest .plan file I've seen absolutely no official info on these.

Here's what I've heard :
1) Each faction has 3 medals and an item
2) The medals are awarded by faction counsellors/representatives to runners who "do something special for the faction"
3) If you get 3 medals you get the "item"
4) The medals are already being awarded
5) The medals are currently datadiscs/databooks but that may be changing
6) The items are in-game (link (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1202729) but not available
7) The items seem to have impossibly high TLs. Presumably to prevent players using them if they somehow obtained one.
8) The counsellors and representatives know the score and are disseminating some or all of the info to their mates.

Here's what I want to know :
1) Do the items have uses beyond RP? (the TL implies they do)
2) What are all the items and what do they do, if anything?
3) Who decides what's "special"?
4) How common are the items intended to be in the short and long term?
5) Do the items have Faction reqs (like the CA PA)?

Here are my concerns :
1) If the items are released the way the info is then they will only ever be in the hands of a very small group or players who RP/Drink/chat/flirt/share a clan with their FC or his alts.
2) The items look like they will have skill/stat boni of some kind (why else add a prohibitive TL) meaning a) player balance issues if they are rare or b) faction balance issues if they are common.
3) KK aren't telling us anything as per SOP. I had hoped they were getting over that nonsense and acting like a real company now but it's been a month and we still have no official info about an interesting and potentially important addition to the game. Meanwhile it seems some players are getting a substantial head-start and being fed info we all should have.

Can someone from KK please post a sticky with ALL the facts about this ASAP.

NB : All the info above is from hearsay, this forum and chatting to players and FCs in-game. If it's wrong please correct me but don't blame me (or others) for listening to rumours when you hide the facts.

naimex
05-02-04, 00:48
Originally posted by jernau

Concerning #5 :: I saw one after an event on Uranus, where some runner got a faction medal.. it was a dogtag..

Concerning #1 :: Items are only things that are not only RP.. anything else than items are pure RP and Show Off items

Concerning #2 :: There was a list at some point dont know what happened to it.

Concerning #3 :: Faction Counsellors and Faction Counsellors alone desides whats special.. and if they are in doubt they ask "arbiter i think is the man in charge of it"

jernau
05-02-04, 01:55
Originally posted by naimex
Concerning #5 :: I saw one after an event on Uranus, where some runner got a faction medal.. it was a dogtag..

Now you mention it I think that is what I was told.

The rest also fits but I'd still like an official word. If they have more than "show off" value then all the more reason we should all have access to all the facts.

[TgR]KILLER
05-02-04, 02:50
Medals aint databooks were i come from :p

i got a medal "free thinker"

I got a Fallen Angels medal for having the clan in FA for so long etc.. and it looks like a dogtag to meh

Keiron
05-02-04, 03:06
Unless each server gets an active FC for all factions, KK can't really do much with medals. I mean, some factions/servers have very active FC's (Tangent on Sat comes to mind in the past), while other servers (most factions on Uranus) haven’t seen their FC at all.

Shadow Dancer
05-02-04, 03:09
About concern #1 jernau, I have the same concern as well.

Also, you barely ever see any of the faction counselors. o_O

I really hope the special items are just for RP value and don't actually give a special advantage of some sort.

Rade
05-02-04, 03:32
OMFG HAX I WANT UBAR GEAR SO I CAN KEEL STOPID RPERS
EASIER KIRJA GIVE ME TEH GOOD STUFF.

**edit: Sorry, couldnt resist, again. I need to do something about
my impulse control.

Ryuben
05-02-04, 04:10
has pluto even got ANY FC i mean ones that are on European times not US :rolleyes:

Rade
05-02-04, 04:13
Originally posted by Ryuben
has pluto even got ANY FC i mean ones that are on European times not US :rolleyes:

Yeah BD - Kirja rocks. Always available for a chat and does small
events like PK raids with goals etc.

Shadow Dancer
05-02-04, 04:17
Yes I love Kirja. I wish she was my FC.

Tamara D.S-L
05-02-04, 04:40
Well I can only speak for myself here and the faction I represent so I hope what I have to say helps.

There are 3 levels of medals and a faction reward item. Mine (Fallen Angels) has the very kewl title of the "Heavens Key".

Reakktor has said that they want these medals to be rare and the awarding of them is solely up to us. I've awarded 2 on Uranus & 1 on Saturn so far. 1 medal was awarded to my assistant on Saturn for excellent service and on Uranus I gave 1 as a christmas present to the only FA I could find on christmas eve and the other was awarded to an FA who showed bravery above & beyond to rescue me in an event I threw together with arbiter & honeypot a few days after christmas. I have not given any medal to anyone that I pal around with or know from my personal characters and I really don't like what that other poster was implying.

I've started a discussion a while back as to hammering out a criteria for awarding of these medals as we don't want some FC's giving them out for very difficult tasks while others award them to everyone & their dog simply for showing up in a red shirt but so far we have yet to reach a happy medium.

To my knowledge no player yet has a 2nd level medal and as far as the faction items themselves go I seriously doubt that whatever bonus they give is going to unbalance any class or faction so I wouldn't sweat it.

Any other questions I'm sure arbiter can fill you in on but seriously, these are just medals and nothing to really get ones panties in a bunch over.

Tammy

Opar
05-02-04, 09:56
Ive only ever seen two faction counsellers on Saturn. NeXt and FA. No more.

Original monk
05-02-04, 10:12
i see from miles distance that this factionmedalthingie stinks ...

the FC's (who are rarer then a larent bot currently) give em to who-ever they like ?? same with the items or ? i dunno all lol: this sounds like a good example of belgium politics :) everything for the best friends/mates but the rest of the people can sit on there hunger.

i know that i dont know a factioncounseller personally so its obvious i will never get such an item ... nomather what things i did to help out my faction ...

and dont say: how you know that, ya didnt asked: well i did ask my factioncounseller info about the medals (diamond real estate on saturn) for the 1 time only i ever seen em in my life ... and he told me sumthing about: acomplishing stuff for the faction and dont be a factionhopper and after that i never saw em again ...

again: i saw from miles distance that this friendpolitics way of handing over items: STINKS

Gestra
05-02-04, 10:40
Originally posted by Tamara D.S-L
Well I can only speak for myself here and the faction I represent so I hope what I have to say helps.

1 medal was awarded to my assistant on Saturn for excellent service...

I have not given any medal to anyone that I pal around with

Tammy

Of course you haven't.

Cytaur
05-02-04, 11:03
bad thing about medals, is that FC would just stick to either pluto or only on uranus/saturn...... there should be 1 FC on each server o_O

Ka0s^
05-02-04, 11:49
Originally posted by Gestra
Of course you haven't.

hrm gestra, i dont pal around with tamara, infact its quite rare we are on at the same time due to time difference. Like Tam said KK intend the faction medals/rewards to be rare so its not going to be something randomly handed out.

If u seriously are that bothered about the rewards, maybe it would be time to chat with ur respective FCs and start to get a bit more interested in the RP aspect of the game.
Believe it or not Neocron isnt a FPS its an MMORPG.

As for the comments about never seeing FCs, i assure u that alot more goes on behind the scenes than u think, and yes, FCs have to work on more than one server so its not that much of an easy job. Add to that the problem of ppl not being bothered to RP and generally taking the piss at events and stuff, sometimes its easy to see why u dont often see FCS.

Instead of carrying on and demanding explanations, why not take things into ur own hands and TRY contacting ur FC, if u dont know how drop me a PM and ill get a message to them.

A faction reward isnt going to be given out just because ur 733t OR u are friends with an FC.

Archeus
05-02-04, 11:57
medals mean nothing.

Stigmata
05-02-04, 11:58
Of course you haven't.

what evidence do you have to support that accusation ?

Kaos is assitant FC, and also in NAT, but none of us have any afaik.

Gestra
05-02-04, 12:18
Originally posted by Ka0s^
hrm gestra, i dont pal around with tamara, infact its quite rare we are on at the same time due to time difference. Like Tam said KK intend the faction medals/rewards to be rare so its not going to be something randomly handed out.

A FC assitant that does not talk or work with there FC and are both unfriendly with each other. So if you never see the FC what exactly do you do again that is assisting?

Originally posted by stigmata
what evidence do you have to support that accusation ?

Kaos is assitant FC, and also in NAT, but none of us have any afaik.

What accusation I merely quoted what the FC themself said, the contradiction was inherant in there own post. NAT dont have any of the items yet? first time for everything then.

Original monk
05-02-04, 12:31
I've started a discussion a while back as to hammering out a criteria for awarding of these medals as we don't want some FC's giving them out for very difficult tasks while others award them to everyone & their dog simply for showing up in a red shirt but so far we have yet to reach a happy medium.

no offense kaos but the above quote makes me think that it IS fully randomly indeed ...

and ffcourse its rare if only the friends of the FC gets em ...

and medals are worth shit ffcourse: but its the principle: same as with the kamichips (ok they didnt hand em out but it was practicaly the same, wich explains why only 10 people on saturn have/had ALL the kami's in the game...) and they where worth sumthing ...

i think this whole situation has a weird smell on it

O_o

El_MUERkO
05-02-04, 12:50
Originally posted by Archeus
medals mean nothing.

These medals when collected can be hand for the rewards listed in the other thread depending on your faction, those rewards do something, I dont know what they do but I'd like to find out.

naimex
05-02-04, 12:58
The only problem i see with these medals and rewards are that in order to achieve you would have to have the FC walking up your arse all the time..

seeing as how can you be rewarded for something they didnt see ?

I mean if I were to go on a killing spree and kill every single runner or mob with 1 shot.. (just to exaggerate as much as possible)

The FC wouldnt see that I did it.. and I would therefor get no reward for doing something as insane as that..

hope you get my drift im a bit hyperactive now..

Original monk
05-02-04, 13:46
seeing as how can you be rewarded for something they didnt see ?

thats why you have to be a good mate to the FC naimex :)

ya dont need to be an honest player, ya dont need to work hard for the things that you have, you dont need to play long and help alot of people, ya dont need to prove that you have done extremely well actions in favour of youre faction: ya gotta be a good friend of a FC ... OR ... ya gotta be one of the lucky few that gets one fo free cause you happen to have that one FC that hands out stuff randomly to everyone that drops in with a red t-shirt ...

Ka0s^
05-02-04, 15:04
A FC assitant that does not talk or work with there FC and are both unfriendly with each other. So if you never see the FC what exactly do you do again that is assisting?

What accusation I merely quoted what the FC themself said, the contradiction was inherant in there own post. NAT dont have any of the items yet? first time for everything then.

Gestra read my post again, where did i say i dont talk to tamara? Also can u point me to where i said we were unfriendly? Seems to me that all u like to do is spoil for trouble, when u can read my posts correctly without saying things i have neither said or implied, ill explain to u what duties i carry out as an assistant.

Gestra
05-02-04, 15:12
Originally posted by Ka0s^
Gestra read my post again, where did i say i dont talk to tamara? Also can u point me to where i said we were unfriendly? Seems to me that all u like to do is spoil for trouble, when u can read my posts correctly without saying things i have neither said or implied, ill explain to u what duties i carry out as an assistant.

Ah so you are in actually fact friendly with your FC?

You got a medal. So my original post replying to Tamara D.S-L comenting on them stating they have not given any faction medals out to people they pal about with stands does it not?

hthhand.

Archeus
05-02-04, 15:26
The only problem i see with these medals and rewards are that in order to achieve you would have to have the FC walking up your arse all the time..

I think its the other way around.

Ka0s^
05-02-04, 15:42
Ah so you are in actually fact friendly with your FC?

You got a medal. So my original post replying to Tamara D.S-L comenting on them stating they have not given any faction medals out to people they pal about with stands does it not?

hthhand.

Again Gestra i want u to show the quote where i said i was unfriendly with Tamara :rolleyes:
Just because i got a medal, i assure u it was not because i pal around with Tam.
Stop misquoting me cuz ur just making urself look stupid.
Also can u tell me how u came to the decision that Tamara has given them out to people she pals around with?
1 to me
1 to a random runner on Xmas eve (uranus)
1 to a runner who performed well in an event (uranus)

U could say that she is "friendly" and "talks" to me but i dont know her other than the FC char she plays and as i have said, the only time i see her ingame is at meetings or when she drops in on saturn.

Oh it must be the 2 random people....

INFERNO22
05-02-04, 16:11
I seen the Tg one 'Guardian Rebelian Cannon' tl 250 (fusion cannon)

Fa one TL 250 hack tool "Heavens Key"

Bio "Multi-task CPU"

CM "Mercs' dream" TL 250 Gat rifel

i forgot the names of the others:angel:

edit:they give ya 127/## rank;)

U need to be the faction of the item to use it btw =):cool:

Il post all the names later when i get home }D:)

Dribble Joy
05-02-04, 16:29
Dunno how it works with the other factions, but with CM (on Uranus at least), it's summat like this.

Clan leaders/FC/FCA can nominate someone to recieve a medal.
There are (currently) 30 'lvl 1' medals (Black ribbons) to award on each server. I'm not sure about the lvl 2 and 3 though.
We atm are considering them as 'ranks' you need the first to get the second etc.
Shame you can't use the items yet, would be cool.

Vincent. amend as per nessiscary, along with my spelling.

jernau
05-02-04, 16:52
Still no official answers other than Tamara. Thanks to her for that, she has at least confirmed a few things even if none of my concerns are alleviated by it.

It seems the items are indeed useful in some way which means we really should all be given proper information.

•Super|\|ova•
05-02-04, 17:03
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Yes I love Kirja. I wish she was my FC.

What the hell Shadow Dancer :lol: Why are you copying Rade :lol:

Original monk
05-02-04, 17:03
jernau i want you as one of the new moderators, youre smart

yust wanted to say that lol, im sorryz for oftopic and i think its 2 bad that we havent got an official answer on it ...

Nidhogg
05-02-04, 17:11
Instead of sitting back, demanding that information to come to you, why don't you go seek it out yourself? Arrange a meeting with your faction counsellor in-game to discuss it - wouldn't that be a constructive RP thing to do?

No one is going to come on here and post a list of absolute requirements or instructions because that defeats the object of having a role play reward system. If you want one of these rewards then you're going to have to get in-game and RP. If RP isn't your thing then that's fine too, who knows, you may be able to buy or steal a reward - but isn't that RP too? ;)

I'll try and find someone to give a broad outline of what they're about but I think you'd be doing yourself a dis-service to expect everything to be clarified in an official KK statement - it's a bit like looking through the patch file to see what's been hidden.

N

Dribble Joy
05-02-04, 17:20
I'm searching the Merc boards for a thread/posts about the items/medals, but I dunno if I can post them here.

As teh Nid said, go ask your FC.

Arbiter
05-02-04, 17:28
Other than a passing mention in a set of patch notes and the latest .plan file I've seen absolutely no official info on these.

Here's what I've heard :
1) Each faction has 3 medals and an item
2) The medals are awarded by faction counsellors/representatives to runners who "do something special for the faction"
3) If you get 3 medals you get the "item"
4) The medals are already being awarded
6) The items are in-game (link (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1202729) but not available
7) The items seem to have impossibly high TLs. Presumably to prevent players using them if they somehow obtained one.
8) The counsellors and representatives know the score and are disseminating some or all of the info to their mates.

5) All medals are shown as dogtags. We hope to have own models for the medals sometime. If you like, you can try to do some graphics for them (use modification forum for this, please).
7) This is a bug
8) You can also mail your counsellor(s) to get the info, if you attent to faction meetings, this would be a chance to get ask them more.

4) How common are the items intended to be in the short and long term?
5) Do the items have Faction reqs (like the CA PA)?

1) The items are modified normal items. You can use them, but they have no bonuses you can not get in another way.
2) The items are already listed in another thread. I think the names of the medals are not yet, but I like the idea of it being a surprise :p
3) The faction counsellors
4) Very rare, almost unique in the short term. The items are used to enforce a long time motivation for the role players and to give them a goal.
5) Yes, they all can only e used by the faction members. I remember there were problems with the appartment and the NEXT Nuvolari, have to check it in these cases.

Here are my concerns :
1) If the items are released the way the info is then they will only ever be in the hands of a very small group or players who RP/Drink/chat/flirt/share a clan with their FC or his alts.
2) The items look like they will have skill/stat boni of some kind (why else add a prohibitive TL) meaning a) player balance issues if they are rare or b) faction balance issues if they are common.
3) KK aren't telling us anything as per SOP. I had hoped they were getting over that nonsense and acting like a real company now but it's been a month and we still have no official info about an interesting and potentially important addition to the game. Meanwhile it seems some players are getting a substantial head-start and being fed info we all should have.

Can someone from KK please post a sticky with ALL the facts about this ASAP.

NB : All the info above is from hearsay, this forum and chatting to players and FCs in-game. If it's wrong please correct me but don't blame me (or others) for listening to rumours when you hide the facts.

1) These items are thought for awarding rp and to give players a reason to rp. Awarding RP is always a problem, because you can not evaluate rp via scripts. You need persons to decide if a player does good rp or not. If you know somebody who would earn a medal/item, send a mail to the counsellor or suggest him in a faction meeting.
2) The items don't have a special value in pvp/pvm. There might be a little unbalance between the normal values of the items themselves (there are appartments, tools and weapons), but the items will stay very rare and so they are more worth than their normal pendants.
3) I will give you some info about the whole thing soon. Let's say... hm till the ed of this month? ;) :p Not everything will be presented on the table because getting this information ingame may be a motivation to do rp.

If you are really not interested in RP, then there is no chance in getting these items. ;) If you are interested in rp, just follow nidhoggs suggestions. :)

Dribble Joy
05-02-04, 17:42
OK,

Orginally posted by Vincent Stark
I can just say that the criteria for awarding medals is still under discussion in the FC team. Currently there is no guideline about it by KK - so we are free to do as we wish, but us FCs want equal criteria for all runners.

Arbiter, do you mean that the faction items are usable? I was told that they are RP only and are tl 255.

Arbiter
05-02-04, 18:57
Yes they should be useable and they should be no drop and not cloneable as well. If they behave not in the way described, I would like you to inform us via the bugreport@neocron.com.

Cytaur
06-02-04, 01:44
it's easy to say "mail your FC", yeah sure....what if my FC doesn't exist ? For example CA FC on Pluto....

jernau
06-02-04, 02:31
@arbiter -

Thanks a million, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I look forward eagerly to whatever else you can tell us in the next month or so. I'm sure more info in the public domain can only encourage a lot more people to take an active role in this and other RP content.

Rade
06-02-04, 02:34
Ive always tried to participate as much as possible in any RP
event thats taken place on Pluto but, theres simply too little of it
going on to warrant any handing out of these medals tbh... if not
handing them out as xmas and birthday presents are the
common praxis that is :rolleyes:

lullysing
06-02-04, 02:43
What happens when you try to roleplay someone that is outside the known factions ( such as an anarch ) ?

I've been hurting for anarchs event ever since the start of retail and i was very pissed when they did not make that faction available as it was stated in the manual ( my manual states you can be part of the anarchy breed, and so did the online doco for a long while. Even says you would get an oz starter app ).

Now what if i helped another faction with a special hack, obtaining of items or some other unbelievably fucked up and demented quest if i felt like helping them if they helped me find... say... Rob Dowell. How would that work in the current context of fixed faction concellors and stable factions?

Arbiter
06-02-04, 11:36
Anarchy Breed will not get a faction counsellor, if the faction will ever be playable (because Anarchy + Council doesn't fit together). Faction Counsellors award work for their factions, so playing a member of the anarches will not lead to getting such an item. Sorry.

Mingerroo
06-02-04, 13:58
I was pleased with everything in this thread, and when I get some more spare time I'll be joining FA and building my Empire on Pluto :D

I only had a problem with one point by Tamara:

on Uranus I gave 1 as a christmas present to the only FA I could find on christmas eve

Tammy

How is just being there a great achievement for the faction? This is the only issue with it, that you didn't give it to him/her because they ran off to take some OPs, or they did some assistant work, but because they were the only random Joe you could find. :rolleyes:

And if you have done something like this, how many other FCs have?

Steve

btw, thanks for the info Arbiter, as I said, when I get more time I'll get more RP. Roll on DoY and hacknet :D

extract
06-02-04, 14:07
Are faction counselers different for each server or say is the faction counseler for say biotech the biotech FC for ALL servers???

Also I think that there needs to be a serious firing and rehiring of FC's as Ive played since feb of 03(1 year for the math genius') and I have never seen not one FC.........I know not everyone can play the game 24/7....but not ever having seen one and I play 3 servers is a bit absurd..........

the only FC I even know about is alex starr in next on pluto I think(i may have the server wrong) and the only reason I know about it is from the thread and screenshots from that event where he was taken hostage or some shit........

Originally posted by Mingerroo
How is just being there a great achievement for the faction? This is the only issue with it, that you didn't give it to him/her because they ran off to take some OPs, or they did some assistant work, but because they were the only random Joe you could find. :rolleyes:

yea that is a bit lame.........I am involved in tons of things RP & faction related on all the servers I play and have yet to even get mentioned about one.........and to think all I had to do was log on,on xmas

Krysm
06-02-04, 14:42
Faction Counsellor Listing (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=1153729#post1153729) - Slightly outdated. But, from that you can at least find out who your Counsellor is.

Originally posted by extract
Also I think that there needs to be a serious firing and rehiring of FC's as Ive played since feb of 03(1 year for the math genius') and I have never seen not one FC.........I know not everyone can play the game 24/7....but not ever having seen one and I play 3 servers is a bit absurd..........

the only FC I even know about is alex starr in next on pluto I think(i may have the server wrong) and the only reason I know about it is from the thread and screenshots from that event where he was taken hostage or some shit........

Because Counsellors don't have access to a list of all the faction members, it is very hard to talk to people who are in the faction but do not hang around with the more popular runners, or, ones who have faction chat muted.

If you are interested in contacting any counsellor, click on the link provided above and send either an ingame email, or a forum PM. Bear in mind however that some names aren't exactly the same as the ones we use ingame. (See Tamara D.S-L, or RonaldRodriguez) But most of us have written a little introduction in this (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58227&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) thread.

If you are interested in applying for the Counsellor position, use the application mentioned in this (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=763720#post763720) thread, and email it to Arbiter@Neocron.com . The thread is outdated, so, apply for any faction that strikes your fancy. Speaking German is not necessary, but speaking somewhat decent English is required.

If you're having trouble locating your FC, spelling/remembering your FC's name, or getting along with your FC, you could contact a Counsellor of a different faction to help organize events.

As for the criteria for handing out medals - It's still heavily in discussion. These medals are supposed to remain rare, and it is difficult to locate the exact rules to have it so that not many people have a medal but people still know a way to get one.

I suppose it's safe to say that the criteria right now to get a medals is by impressing* your faction counsellor. The problem with that, though, is that what might get you in bed with the BioTech FC might get you a kick in the face from the Black Dragon FC.

* Note: By impressing, I do not mean sexing, killing, shooting, attacking, opening fire on, or begging for stuff from your FC.

L3m0n
06-02-04, 15:18
Originally posted by Kirja Iljusha
The problem with that, though, is that what might get you in bed with the BioTech FC might get you a kick in the face from the Black Dragon FC.

* Note: By impressing, I do not mean sexing, killing, shooting, attacking, opening fire on, or begging for stuff from your FC.
lol wasnt us ;)