PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointer

Shelty1
04-02-04, 16:35
Once and for all i gota clarify this.

what does a laser pointer mod actually do?

increase accuracy.?..if so does it change the ststs of gun..or just stats of user.?

handling..? same as above

nothing..

some ppl say it does on, some say another, some say it just looks cool.

J. Folsom
04-02-04, 16:39
It provides a (not-shown) boost to the aiming of your weapon, it's mostly noticable on rifles which you're far off from capping though.

Anyway, it's something which only affects the stats of the user, and (as far as I know) only when it's activated.

It's also pretty useless if you already cap the aiming percentage on a weapon, and I also haven't completely checked into it yet, so this may be wrong :p.

SorkZmok
04-02-04, 16:43
Originally posted by J. Folsom
It provides a (not-shown) boost to the aiming of your weapon, it's mostly noticable on rifles which you're far off from capping though.

Anyway, it's something which only affects the stats of the user, and (as far as I know) only when it's activated.

It's also pretty useless if you already cap the aiming percentage on a weapon, and I also haven't completely checked into it yet, so this may be wrong :p.
This is completely right.

kurai
04-02-04, 16:59
It closes your aim reticle faster - simple as that.
It doesn't increase accuracy/handling (i.e. hits per burst or recoil etc) and the boost is not shown in any numerical stat (on weapon or runner).

The effect is rather minor, and only really usefully detectable on *really* slow aiming weapons and setups.
i.e. You can see noticeable improvement on a STORM Laser, none on rifles (unless you have *severely* gimped WEP and a gun with a truly worthless aim stat)

msdong
04-02-04, 18:57
may i add :

"it looks COOL"

Mr. Chainsaw
04-02-04, 19:07
Yeah it does look cool. If you don't think so, make a tank pistol user named Ahnold and follow someone up to their appartment. Ring their bell until they open and say "Sarha Connor?" Then point the laser pointer at them and open fire....

o_O

]v[ortice
04-02-04, 19:10
laserpointer is cool on pistols.

It not only closes your reticle quicker, but it also adds range to your weapon.

If i get a 3 slot pistol on my PE... it goes ammo, barrel, laser everytime. Kicks ass :)

kurai
04-02-04, 19:25
Originally posted by ]v[ortice
laserpointer is cool on pistols.

It not only closes your reticle quicker, but it also adds range to your weapon.

If i get a 3 slot pistol on my PE... it goes ammo, barrel, laser everytime. Kicks ass :) You are the first person that I've ever seen claim a range increase from a laser pointer.

Have you got empirically tested proof, or is it just anecdotal ?

Divide
04-02-04, 21:13
the laser pointer increases your aiming/reticle beyond the 276 aiming cap-- I wont use a rifle without a laser pointer.

JackScratch
04-02-04, 22:01
You have all left out 1 crutial function of the laser pointer. It unerringly gives away your position when useing projectile weapons.

Mr. Chainsaw
04-02-04, 22:07
Originally posted by JackScratch
You have all left out 1 crutial function of the laser pointer. It unerringly gives away your position when useing projectile weapons.

Yeah :) Doesn't really matter on pistols though.

Rith
04-02-04, 22:07
dont forget silencer - it does same a similar job for recoil

perfect setup - 5 slot pistol - ultima'd/all arti + wep mod + laser + silencer

the daddy

Mr. Chainsaw
04-02-04, 22:09
Silencers reduce recoil?

Doc Holliday
04-02-04, 22:10
its supposed to help cap aim. thats the official unofficial official statement i heard from someones mates dads best friends girlfriends friend she sits next to on the bus to works sister. in game that is. ;)

i heard its aiming only. it helps cap aim and makes the reticle close fast if u dont naturally cap aim. hence u sometimes see rifle pes with a pain easer with one so they can hack belts etc without being too badly gimped. mortice i dont think it affects range bud. besides everyone knows 3rd slot is the ultima in any pistol. 4th is a silencer.
:p

i think one mod should be allowed per gun without takeing a slot. and then bring more mods out. cosmetic stuff maybe. or just release underslung grenade launchers and let other classes find a viable use for their hc if they spec it. could be a laaarf.

StrongSad
04-02-04, 22:35
Did your ROG have a laser divide? I dont remember one. Your FL definetly did tho :)

VetteroX
04-02-04, 22:49
Divide... will you sware on all your items laser pointer makes a weapons aim faster after you have capped aiming or have it really high? I have a lib and pain easer with a free slot after being modded... out of the people that have posted so far yours is the only one id trust because I know you put effort in... so are you absuletely sure? Because I couldnt give a god damn about my weapon looking cool.... only effectivness.

Divide
04-02-04, 23:28
Originally posted by VetteroX
Divide... will you sware on all your items laser pointer makes a weapons aim faster after you have capped aiming or have it really high? I have a lib and pain easer with a free slot after being modded... out of the people that have posted so far yours is the only one id trust because I know you put effort in... so are you absuletely sure? Because I couldnt give a god damn about my weapon looking cool.... only effectivness.

Ive never put one in a pistol, if memory serves me correctly. But from my experience, it does make every weapon Ive put it on aim faster, and makes the reticle close a very small amount more than without.

In my experience, rifle mods are best as such (with exception of the SH): ammo, laserpointer, then stat modifiers.

@strongsad: yes, the rog I used had a laserpointer.

kurai
05-02-04, 00:17
I've tested the laser-pointers extensively, a few iterations back of this eternally raised subject.

Wanted to give a definite 100% proof, rather than a "feels like" or "seems to" response.

The tests were done properly, and the results of many, many clips of ammo were averaged out for each variable.
(Ok - it's still not what a proper statistitian would call adequate, but we are talking 50+ clips each step, rather than one or two - good enough for NC purposes).
Turrets were placed in a position where they could be hit at the max range of a given weapon, so that target movement could be eliminated as a factor.
Range limit was used because it exaggerates reticle close time and lock tightness, so could be more accurately measured.
There was more, but you get the general idea...

Results:
Single accuracy (hit:miss ratio) - unchanged.
Burst accuracy (hit:miss ratio for grouped shots, over and above single `bullet` accuracy) - unchanged.
Recoil - unchanged.
Semi-lock accuracy (hit:miss ratio for partially closed reticle) - unchanged.
Lock speed (from fully open to fully closed) - detectable difference, but only on combos that had sub-200% aim. At 100% aim closed approx 35% faster, 150% aim 15%, 200% aim 5%.
Above 200% potential timing accuracies far overshadowed any provable effect.
[The aim stat was arrived at by several methods separately ... adjusting DEX, RC, WEP, gun raw handling stat - it made no difference how you achieved the eventual aiming percentage.]
It was most noticeable on the few cannons that are pointer moddable (Storm laser etc). There were a couple of pistols (can't remember which) that had horrible reticle speeds and benefitted- the majority were too fast to time accurately. Rifles were mostly right on the edge of the timing error bars, so effect barely noticable

One interesting effect that was hard to put numerically was that the eventual tightness (i.e. diameter) of the locked reticle was improved noticeably on everything, to pretty much the same extent, but it made no difference to the end shot result - it seems that lock is lock is lock, the actual displayed diameter isn't relevant.

QuantumDelta
05-02-04, 00:38
Silencers do, reduce recoil.
I was also told they increased frequency, but saw absolutely no freq increase when the weapon was modded, nor when the mod is active.

I modded it for recoil reduction anyway...libby's kinda bad for that, not that it mattered much....pure 120 pre-modding lib... :)

Melkior
05-02-04, 02:41
I got a laser pointer on my blacksun(capped aiming), seems to speed up retical closing at long range, tho this may just be my imagination =-P

Keiron
05-02-04, 02:48
From any weapons I've seen, cannons benefit the most with laser pointers. Awhile ago, I tested an Unlabeled Plasma Cannon that has a laser mod in it in NF. That thing's aim was considerable faster then when it was off.

Keyol45743241
05-02-04, 02:56
If i remember correctly, ancient cursed souls with laserpointer still inbuilt (it was possible, at a time) are outlawed. But then, I offered a GM my scoped libby who refused and told me to keep it. :wtf:

I guess, the effect is way more noticeable on cannons and thus leads to imbalance more than a scoped libby :rolleyes:

ezza
05-02-04, 03:02
Originally posted by Keyol45743241
If i remember correctly, ancient cursed souls with laserpointer still inbuilt (it was possible, at a time) are outlawed. But then, I offered a GM my scoped libby who refused and told me to keep it. :wtf:

I guess, the effect is way more noticeable on cannons and thus leads to imbalance more than a scoped libby :rolleyes: hmm perhaps time for a thread asking for laserpointers to be once again allowed on Cursed souls;)

El_MUERkO
05-02-04, 03:24
I thought a Laser pointer added to your aiming % but since that was the first thing you capped on a pistol it wasnt really needed.

QuantumDelta
05-02-04, 04:54
Originally posted by ezza
hmm perhaps time for a thread asking for laserpointers to be once again allowed on Cursed souls;) And libs to be rescroped :rolleyes:

Tank Cannon aim is NOT SUPPOSED to be capped.
It isn't.
Don't you idiots get it? If tank Cannons had 276% aim, they'd lock at the same speed as the other weapons with that aim.

I mean for cryin out loud o_O

.Cyl0n
05-02-04, 05:18
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/cyl0n/mycs.JPG

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

me > you

:p

Peter Andre
05-02-04, 05:32
OMG OMG H4X KOS KOS KOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!1234

KramerTheWeird
05-02-04, 06:06
I keep seeing people saying 276% is aim cap. I'll assume they slipped in typing, because it is 267%.

Kurai, what weapons did you use to test with?

StrongSad
05-02-04, 06:46
divide = li0r

Divide
05-02-04, 06:52
Originally posted by StrongSad
divide = li0r

artifact ultimated xray explosive ray of god with laserpointer kthx

Q`alooaith
05-02-04, 06:52
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
And libs to be rescroped :rolleyes:

It isn't.
Don't you idiots get it? If tank Cannons had 276% aim, they'd lock at the same speed as the other weapons with that aim.

I mean for cryin out loud o_O

You could at one point scope almost all, or all the pistol's...

which was kinda good for laser pistol's, the range on them has alway's been quite far....

Psycho Killa
05-02-04, 06:55
I need III IIIII To reactivate his account he had a scope modded liberator I remember he was like crap I seen theyre taking out scopes ill get one moded before the patch!

I was going to also but I didnt get enough parts intime for the patch :(

StrongSad
05-02-04, 07:10
HAHA,

I jest divide. :cool:

kurai
05-02-04, 15:14
Originally posted by KramerTheWeird
Kurai, what weapons did you use to test with? All the rares capable of taking a pointer (the ones available on test back in about october/november, so no oddities like 7 slot CS) and most of the non-rare pointer moddable weapons above about TL-40 or so (didn't do any of the freezers, or the epics) - pistol, rifle and heavy.

El Barto
05-02-04, 15:23
I have been told that it makes you aim faster, even if you cap the aiming.

kurai
05-02-04, 15:39
Originally posted by El Barto
I have been told that it makes you aim faster, even if you cap the aiming. Did you actually read any of the thread other than the first post ?

StrongSad
05-02-04, 22:04
Kurai....these are the Neocron forums. Who actually reads a WHOLE 2 pages.... :rolleyes:

g0rt
05-02-04, 22:08
Originally posted by Rith
dont forget silencer - it does same a similar job for recoil

perfect setup - 5 slot pistol - ultima'd/all arti + wep mod + laser + silencer

the daddy

my libby :D

and my judge :D (minus the silencer)

when it comes to pistols i dont notice a diff between my 4slot all 120 and my 5slot all 120 with silence and laser, but cant say for rifles never used them enough to know

KimmyG
05-02-04, 22:10
Laser pointer tells everyone you got a 5 slot weapon there and your l33t

ezza
05-02-04, 22:11
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
And libs to be rescroped :rolleyes:

It isn't.

I mean for cryin out loud o_O why the fuck would they give us aiming that cant be capped, and i take it you didnt notice the little smily i put on the end :rolleyes: <---------loook theres another one

g0rt
05-02-04, 22:13
Originally posted by ezza
why the fuck would they give us aiming that cant be capped, and i take it you didnt notice the little smily i put on the end :rolleyes: <---------loook theres another one

I agree. If cannons aren't meant to be capped, the CAP for aiming on a cannon should be lowered. Maybe this way it would be POSSIBLE to fully cap cannons, just like its possible to fully cap everything else. :rolleyes: