PDA

View Full Version : Vehical combat, I like driving in my car.. (idea, Vehical skill)

Q`alooaith
04-02-04, 12:44
I can hear the cry's already, no stop asking deity's to smite me down, they've tryed already...

:confused:

To the topic..

Now amfest is the person to blame for all these idea's, keep's inspiring me..

VHC, you need only so much of it to drive, and once you have enough for a vehical you can drive it no problem at all, and you never get better at driving that vehical..

So here's my idea, make driving a little more of a skill, the higher your VHC the faster you can turn and the faster you can drive, with each vehical capping out at some point...

Now the downside, if you've only just enough skill to drive the vehical evry so often it should shift dirrection, or slowly drift off from a straight line.. Meaning you keep having to alter your dirrection a little..

This mean's it's better to be skilled driver, though less skilled is still possible..

so what you think?

Dribble Joy
04-02-04, 13:00
Up untill recently, (Ie. a few months ago) I was still under the impression, VHC affected vehicle speed.
As it stands though, it doesn't, and it should do.
Vehicle quality should affect speed/handling too.

amfest
04-02-04, 13:08
sexy .. . .and make it if you have enough skill you can get enough speed on a 4x4 to catch air off a hill heh . . I dont' gethow you can fly over these hills on a hover tech and stay constant with the ground .. it's really annoying how you just bob along with the ground level ..give me some jumping ability!

(another idea. Barter should have a penalty also in fact the prices that you will recieve shouldnt' be marked down . . .there should be the price and a ?? after it . .you should get an extra button to choose if you have barter on the buying screen .. and you click that button and depending on your barter skill . ..you might be ableto haggle thelow price . .but if you're not succesful . .the price stays the same or raises .. either way you pay it no matter what or whatever :P )

oops did i go OT again

Nash_Brigham
04-02-04, 13:11
I really disagree with this. Vehicles already move pretty fast as it is, and drivinf a vehicle should not be flat based on a skill. Getting the req should be enough. Being skilled at driving does not make my truck move any faster.

amfest
04-02-04, 13:17
but being skilled at driving does increase your handling of the vehicle at high speeds . . . just cause you can drive along the road doesn't mean you can parrel park with ease or drive steadly around cones or if something gets in your way you'd be able to quickly manuver around it ... even if speed isnt' affected . . I do think handling of vehicles should be worked on with the skill .. so if you just have enough the vhc might get off course and doesnt' drive totally straight . .more you have the better it stays on target . . . also if you run into something and stop maybe it'll have a better pick up speed

Dribble Joy
04-02-04, 13:17
Originally posted by amfest
sexy .. . .and make it if you have enough skill you can get enough speed on a 4x4 to catch air off a hill heh . . I dont' gethow you can fly over these hills on a hover tech and stay constant with the ground .. it's really annoying how you just bob along with the ground level ..give me some jumping ability!

Heh, me too, I allways wanted to do crazyarsed stunts :p

@Nash, maybe not speed, but why not handling.

Also, remember when you first drove a car? Doing 30mph was shit scary, now after years of xp (:p) it's a piece od piss doing 110.

Nash_Brigham
04-02-04, 13:22
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Heh, me too, I allways wanted to do crazyarsed stunts :p

@Nash, maybe not speed, but why not handling.

Also, remember when you first drove a car? Doing 30mph was shit scary, now after years of xp (:p) it's a piece od piss doing 110. Actually, when i first started driving, iw as like 9 years old. And, it wasn't shit scary for me, only time I was worried ws when my second time I had to drive was like in the middle of a thunderstorm with rain pooring down in nothing but sheets of water. As far as vehicle handling, what would be the overall point? The handling in this game for vehicles is pretty clunky to begin with, and in the end, if ppl could turn their car on a dim (which they kinda do now but jsut not fast) I think ppl would be cryin nerf when the scoprion trike can keep a bee lock on them all the time.

Q`alooaith
04-02-04, 13:31
But nash you miss the point...

you could make a scorp trike that'd turn much faster, maybe even keep a lock most of the time, though you'd need to spend many point's in Vehical combat to do so...

Which is the point, you can either do somthing realy well, or just do it..

About going faster..

Ever got stuck in the mud? or driven up a sandy slope? you've got to know what your doing or you make thing's much much worse.

You might not be able to make your truck go faster by driving it more often and learning it's quirk's, but you'll know how to get it to speed, you'll hear the engine better and know when to change gear's to get the most out of it.. Think of people who have only just enough point's to drive a vehical as learner's.. How often do learner's go slower, take corner's wide, lose road position? often enough yes.. So don't think of people with just enough skill as people who have passed their driving test, think of them as people who are still learners.

Strieder
04-02-04, 14:36
Only problems are A: Its not high priority for the devs. and B: Itd probably be a pain to code.

Q`alooaith
04-02-04, 14:42
Originally posted by Strieder
Only problems are A: Its not high priority for the devs. and B: Itd probably be a pain to code.

You could say that for all idea kiddo, but without the suggestion's, the dev's wont' have any idea of what people are thinking of..

It might not be on the top of the to do list, but if it's never said it never get's put on the list and thus people never see the changes they'd like..

I'm trying very hard not to break out into a flame here, people who have your attitude make my rather upset. Idea's need to be put out there, without the idea's and a large pool of them the dav's would ahve only themselves to draw on.. So, we make suggestion's, maybe it's not as important as fixxing bug or whatever, but it's a good idea and might make the game more fun, so in a way it is more important.

I'll stop now, because I have no self control at this point, your veiw's are unwelcome here.

Strieder
04-02-04, 14:46
My views are unwelcome because they are realistic.

Q`alooaith
04-02-04, 15:01
Originally posted by Strieder
My views are unwelcome because they are realistic.

No, they are unwelcome because they are negative and have nothing to do with my idea..

You could wander into any idea thread and say the exact same thing's.. But then you'd be wrong, because the only people who know if an idea is high priority or easy to do are the dev's themselves, your not a dev, so your thought's are irrelivent on the issuse on if it's possible or easy.

This is why your view's are not welcome, they are off topic.

amfest
04-02-04, 15:09
woo Q`alooaith hold back on the pixie sticks :D but I agree it's not about the top of the list items. It's about giving ideas and feedback on how you would like to see things. There are quite a few ideas that have been thrown in from people sprouting threads. Hell they even implemented someone's created graphics for items . . . if they didn't take the time to create them of coures they wouldn't have made it in at all. Don't be so negative and comment on the idea itself and not if it will be hard for devs or not. It's not like it's unrealistic to code in

Strieder
04-02-04, 15:22
They would have to change the entire vehicle system, no? There are no modifiers for swerving, etc yet...

MjukisDjur
04-02-04, 15:24
Hmm, make sense... Ok idea

amfest
04-02-04, 15:25
*sigh*

<runs off crying>

metalangel
04-02-04, 15:28
I don't like the idea of the vehicle 'swerving' because you don't have enough skill. In fact, that's plain silly. Driving in a straight line is the easy part! You made me think of an ancient soccer game, where as you ran with the ball, it would slowly drift 'through' your guy, meaning you'd have to keep stopping, back up a bit, and then start running with it again.

By all means, there should be something to affect their speed... but on the other hand, it shouldn't be skill. My gf didn't have a licence but she still could have driven my car just as fast as I could... again, it takes no special ability to put your foot down. Now, if they implemented the roads idea (where following the roads in the game actually made you go faster) then that would be a good thing, but otherwise, there's little reason to fiddle with the way they work.

Q`alooaith
04-02-04, 15:56
Scuze me?

I didn't say swerving, I said drift, as most drivers drift when learning to drive..

don't belive me, go watch a learner, they follow the road marking's but drfit and correct, somtime's they drift out of their lane before noticing..

Tycho C
04-02-04, 16:01
Do that and veh will be used even less. I hate that the combat hover takes 50 veh. That means I'll never use it. I'v only ever seen the one I spawned. Veh need to be funner, that means lower req. And not making it a skill.

metalangel
04-02-04, 16:19
There should be some limit on vehicle use (to represent the equivalent of having taken the test) but after that, driving skill should, as IRL, be down to your own talent with the controls.

That some vehicles can really gimp you to meet their requirements doesn't help things, so it should be purely your own practice to improve your driving once you can use the car. And it's true, there is a big variation in skill with the way ppl drive in this game... some hit trees, slide down slopes and so on, while others drive full tilt over the roughest terrain and never have a problem.

Strieder
04-02-04, 20:09
I was giving an example, adding swerving/veering, etc would require a lot of changes.

Nash_Brigham
04-02-04, 20:17
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
Scuze me?

I didn't say swerving, I said drift, as most drivers drift when learning to drive..

don't belive me, go watch a learner, they follow the road marking's but drfit and correct, somtime's they drift out of their lane before noticing.. Most drivers drift because their front end alignment is fucked up.

KramerTheWeird
04-02-04, 23:51
Drift and swerving can be attributed to terrain as well. Seeing how the wastelands are unpaved and have uncompromising dirt roads, compared to driving on a highway, it definitly takes more skill as a driver to be able to control your vehicle.

I am for this idea. Vehicles are fast but they cannot outpace any class as it is (only the hovertec and it barely does this). Pistol PE's and APU's can chase a vehicle user accross several zones, it's simply not fair we can't get enough speed to outpace them within a zone. It also makes transport in vehicles seem unfavorable as there is little advantage besides armored support which in many situations is uneeded (and sometimes rejected in favor of being able to shoot what is attacking and have defenses up with your ppu availble).

Clive tombstone
05-02-04, 00:39
I might be barking up the wrong tree, but how about putting flame throwers on Highspeed hover techs?