PDA

View Full Version : IGN takes a hidden stab at Neocron!

Vid Gamer
04-02-04, 07:03
http://pc.ign.com/articles/475/475053p4.html

Most Anticipated PC Games of 2004
<< Previous Page | Page 4 of 6 | Next Page >>

The Matrix Online
Publishers: Ubisoft, Warner Brothers
Developers: Monolith, EON Digital
Genre: Persistent Online RPG
Release Date: October 2004
Why it will rock: Although neither Enter the Matrix nor the last two movies of the trilogy were quite what most of us had hoped for, The Matrix as an MMO is still a large draw. You can't deny that it would be pretty darn cool to wander inside the green-filtered Matrix itself, to chase and be chased by Agents, to riddle lobbies with bullet holes, and to pull off that awesome kung fu. As long as TMO doesn't have us stabbing sewer rats with a bent fork for the first two weeks of play before we can actually level up enough do something interesting, we're up for it.

Bastards! :D

Psychoninja
04-02-04, 07:05
They have a point...

Birkoff
04-02-04, 07:08
Most ppl do kill sewer rats with there first char so... yea they do... but isnt that what being a noob is all about?

Vid Gamer
04-02-04, 07:10
LOL!

That's something we did in beta. I can see totally clueless n00bs doing sewers for a week, but everyone knows do the sewers for an hour or two at most and head to Aggies. :D

ElfinLord
04-02-04, 07:11
Unfortunately the staff at IGN probably only played Neocron for 2 weeks so what the hell would they know?

Dumbasses!

Anyway, TMO doesn't interest me very much and I stopped paying any attention to IGN a long time ago.

Gotterdammerung
04-02-04, 07:11
I'm not sure, are we the only game with sewers & rats ?

Spoon
04-02-04, 07:13
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung

No...
I know there's rats in other games, you have to start out leveling on.....

ElfinLord
04-02-04, 07:15
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
Probably not, but we are the only kick-ass, flip me upside-down, spank me on the ass screamin' "Who's your daddy?" game that has sewers and rats!!!

:lol: :D :lol: :D

BTW, don't ask me where that came from. I have no idea! :D

Myrlin
04-02-04, 07:19
Didn't the first paragraph in the IGN sneak peaks talk about how they hate having to kill rats in every game they test out?

Vid Gamer
04-02-04, 07:19
IGN slammed Neocron over this, so it's apparent they are talking about us.

Psychoninja
04-02-04, 07:24
Not like IGN is all that great anyways :p
They've gotten slammed by Penny-Arcade lately ;)

Fawkes
I wouldn't know, but isn't every other MMORPG about killing some low level mobs for a few days as a newbie? I only played Neocron and Mu Online. Yeah, it's boring, but that's one of the aspects of MMORPG's, isn't it?

Jest
IGN wrote a bad review of Neocron in almost every article about it, and now they get to do the sneak peaks of BDoY and yet still take stabs at Neocron (which that remark definitely is). I'm sorry but any game with leveling is like that. When I first played Ultima Online I fought a lost to a bunny. A BUNNY!!! Not a hideous fanged bunny with claws of doom, no no, your normal white fluffy cute eared variety.

Myrlin
04-02-04, 07:25
Found the article I was thinking of...

Neocron Review by IGN (http://pc.ign.com/articles/380/380967p1.html)

They talk about how much they hate killing rats in every game.

ElfinLord
04-02-04, 07:28
Originally posted by Myrlin
They talk about how much they hate killing rats in every game.
Maybe we should all go to their boards and talk about how trite, boring, biased, and uneducated their reviews are.

If anyone could "Christmas Tree" a game review it's IGN.

Psyco Groupie
04-02-04, 07:53
Did you realise what your wrote in the thread title ? heh ... :D

Breschau
04-02-04, 09:06
Almost every mmorpg I've seen reviewed tends to get criticised for the kill-a-thousand-rats aspect of newbie levels.

Though at least NC can have you move on to mutants (or beggars if you're feeling inefficient) fairly quickly.

LVirus
04-02-04, 09:18
Originally posted by Vid Gamer
LOL!

That's something we did in beta. I can see totally clueless n00bs doing sewers for a week, but everyone knows do the sewers for an hour or two at most and head to Aggies. :D

Duh, well someone heads to certain* location to reach half-capped a day :angel:

J. Folsom
04-02-04, 09:54
Bah, two weeks, what weaklings they are.

Try the whole time of beta that you've played! :p

phunqe
04-02-04, 10:15
FFS.... 2 weeks!

2 WEEKS?!?

*points guided missile towards IGN*

VetteroX
04-02-04, 10:31
2 weeks of rat killing? shows how badly reviews do thier jobs. Im killing tougher tuff in hours, not 14 days.

Maarten
04-02-04, 12:21
There is only one char that starts to kill rats with a knife, and that's a melee tank.

All other classes can use a ranged weapon from the beginning and that makes leveling a LOT more interesting.

And if you don't like the sewers, try Pepper Park. In the A&W chop in PP1 is a very nice cellar with a lot of different mobs perfect for noobs. When you're done there, go visit the level 3 sewers in PP. Much more interesting then sewer rat missions or even the aggie cellars.
I also recommend the Storage Room in Outzone SEC-2. It's filled with 5/5 spiders and a 35/35 grand spider now and then. Gives everything a starting player needs...

Nidhogg
04-02-04, 12:24
I messed up the stats of my very first character and used to dream of stabbing sewer rats - I was lucky to kill a small spider. Didn't do me any harm! *Bzzzzt*

N

metalangel
04-02-04, 15:33
I hate to say it, but it's true. When I got Neocron (beta4) my friends were really impressed at first, what with the whole living city and atmosphere and stuff.

Then, they started seeing it as rubbish, saying all I ever did was run around in the sewers, stabbing bees.

AND THEY WERE RIGHT.

Granted, you can bypass that bit altogether if you have some buddies and a PPU to go level with (in the core with a PPU and a few other players last night, Mitsune went from a tank with a special forces knife to a tank with an unlabelled gatling cannon and laserblade in about 90 minutes)

But still. Haaa! Can't you just imagine a grown man (or woman) running around, trying to stab bees out of the air with a stiletto?

J. Folsom
04-02-04, 15:35
Originally posted by Nidhogg
I messed up the stats of my very first character and used to dream of stabbing sewer rats - I was lucky to kill a small spider. Didn't do me any harm! *Bzzzzt*

N Was that before or after missing in melee combat was removed? :p

The whole always hit melee made the newbie levelling a lot easier, I know that.

Dade Murphey
04-02-04, 15:35
sonsabitches...I want my bent fork!!! then I want a rare spork!!! Devs...get on this!!! Vive la spork!!!!

Timster
04-02-04, 15:40
well in AO u shoot small hampsters for years before u can even leave the training area.

god i hated AO.

besides - who seriouslt reads IGN? its so bais, its worse than EDGE or ONM magazine.

darkservent
04-02-04, 15:40
Rofl is all i can do to this

garyu69
04-02-04, 15:42
i remember my first days in Neocron. I lay dead for a few days not having a clue where the Mbutton2 was located :-\

I eventually got out of that dilema by creating a new Character then met a very helpful chap by the name of El Barto :D

He reconmended that i kill things in the sewer to level up.

I then went crying to him about being killed by some person in the sewer.

He came with me and it ended up being a Begger, he killed him and i was amazed at his light saber! It was great.

I also was a noob when i got told to loot all kills. I ended up being overweigh an thinking i was stuck for hours.

How embarassing :(

Made my friend buy a PC at the weekend and he is going to come to Neocron, but is going to have me to help. and he will be addicted hopefully :)

Timster
04-02-04, 15:43
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/ti-spork.jpg

"titanium spork of ridicule" rare spork gets my vote.

MjukisDjur
04-02-04, 15:45
I remember being scared as hell when entering lvl 2 in sewers because I was afraid of getting lost... :)

garyu69
04-02-04, 15:48
Originally posted by MjukisDjur
I remember being scared as hell when entering lvl 2 in sewers because I was afraid of getting lost... :) Me too. I was scared of going pretty much anywhere incase i got lost

I remember my attempt to get to the Military base from Neocron one time.

Took me 3 1/2 hours of walking time before i found it. :o

darkservent
04-02-04, 15:48
I remember hearin abt warbots when i was 0/4 and i actually wanted to go and fight one of them at that rank. But funny thing was everyone made out as if they were the most fearsome creatures in NC.

I also was scared of goin down to the beggers.

metalangel
04-02-04, 16:16
LOL, I remember, back when I'd just got retail (and thus, my high lvl beta char and vehicles were gone) I figured I'd walk from TH to TG. So me, and this tank called Bane, set out on our trip, walking along the road. We actually got really, really close, where you hit the road running north/south near CRP. Bane got killed, so I was milling around, waiting for him, and looking at the mobs in the distance (Doomreapers, which I had never seen before) chasing off a hunting party.

Anyway, one of my friends came in and sat down, bored, watching me (this wasn't, at least, the one who said 'shoot that guy' every time someone passed). He bitched about his UO addiction and said I was going the same way, that I never did much. He then suggested I try shooting the Doomie. So, I pulled out my Archer Companion, took aim, and fired.

Two enormous fireballs came flying. I ran behind the hill, but the fireballs CURVED AND FOLLOWED, slammed into me, and I died.

"Oh," observed my friend, "I thought it was going to come up and reap you with those arms, not throw fireballs".

Scikar
04-02-04, 17:06
I remember nearly everyone playing spies. And the few people who played Tanks ran around killing all those spies. :p

Marx
04-02-04, 17:19
I thought reveiwers were supposed to be powergamer types?

What happened to hunting in the sewers till you had enough PSI/DEX to use a weapon with a fire DoT and going buck wild on wolves and contaminated bats?

Hell, the only time I leveled my dude almost purely in the sewer was in beta, when I didn't know any better and I was too scared to talk to people.

\o_O/

Psyco Groupie
04-02-04, 17:41
what the hell is your major malfunction IGN

:lol:

Organics
04-02-04, 19:07
Hehe I did some leveling in the sewers when I first started for most of the first day, TBH it was quite financially useful for me since I grabbed EVERYTHING that dropped on the Sewer Rats (6/6 baby :D ) that I could sell. At first I took all of it, then worked out I could only sell the stuff that landed on the floor in bags for a decent price. Made quite a bit of cash before finding out about the Aggie cellars :)

Didn't bother me at all killing the rats, it was easier and quicker than other games I've played.

@Jest

Heh, ever try taking on a Great Hart in UO when you first started? :D Insta kill! ;) But yeah, those bunnies were nasty at first, so were the evil (EVIL) Mongbats.... 8|

Mr. Chainsaw
04-02-04, 19:09
I never ended up killing rats for that long. The best part was eating their flesh, it was a good learning experience that helped me graduate to higher level cannibalism.

Disturbed021
04-02-04, 19:34
Originally posted by garyu69
I also was a noob when i got told to loot all kills. I ended up being overweigh an thinking i was stuck for hours.

How embarassing :(

lmao same thing happened to me when I was a noob. I had no idea there was a weight limit! I actually made it out of the sewers but was stuck in Viarosso for a long time. I asked like 10-15 ppl that passed by why I couldn't move. A few stopped to help me but noone, yes not a single person, told me to check my freeload.:(

And I hate it when game reviews are done by impatient 16 yr olds who think they should be killing the biggest mob in the game after 3-4 days.

Mr. Chainsaw
04-02-04, 19:37
Wasn't it the ign review that pretty much said:

"OMF this game sux! its two small, theres just teh city of neocron, omfg too smal."

Like, the reviewer hadn't bothered to notice the gigantic wasteland territory around Neocron, the canyon, tech haven, the military base, the villages....

Matthew.v.smith
04-02-04, 19:43
u think rats are bad!!!

Biosfear the free MMORPG has u killing Armoured mice LOL.

Matty.:angel:

Dirus
04-02-04, 19:45
Correct me if I'm wrong but..

Neocron doesn't have you starting out in the sewers anymore, and theres no rats in MC5.

g0rt
04-02-04, 19:47
Ive never killed sewer rats on any char for more then 2 days, even when I *first* started playing the game.

By writing that thier only doing one thing in my eyes...making themselves look like amateur gamers.

lullysing
04-02-04, 19:51
My opinion is that the rat is the reviewer, and he feels oppressed when he has to kill his own kin repetively, hence he discourages people from buying the game in a blatant antijournalistic prevent the genocide of rats.

Kazper
04-02-04, 19:54
Originally posted by Lupus

Neocron doesn't have you starting out in the sewers anymore, and theres no rats in MC5.

and we all know how newbiefriendly mc5 is

Mr. Chainsaw
04-02-04, 19:54
Yeah, the sewer rats are writing reviews because they're tired of newbies killing them and eating them. Probably explains the quote at the bottom of the review:

"Eet mur chikun."

Mumblyfish
04-02-04, 19:57
IGN lost all respect with me with the Crystal Chronicles review. Way to be asshats, fuckers. Actually, I never had any respect for IGN. Although the "McGriddles incident" gets them bonus points because I giggled.

Back on topic - fuck rats.

joran420
04-02-04, 19:58
i killed rats for about 2 weeks

Sundiver
04-02-04, 21:11
Heh. AO was great for beginners with the training backyards with guards and other players, sometimes high level ones coming there to help newbies.

Besides, the mobs in AO was funnier than they will ever be in Neocron. I have yet to find a mob who tells me "Me strong. Me crush bones!", or how about "r u noobi?" (the cute leetas) :D I spent hours talking to these things, and I believe AO still is the only MMORPG that lets you text chat with NPC's of various shapes and sizes. I once told a guards to go to hell, and he told me something about tearing my limbs off.. :D scared me pretty good the first time!

As for the low level mob killing in NC - even when I was a newbie, it didn't last that long before I went on to giant rats and then started exploring the Industrial Area (that's when I got hit once by a soldier and thought it was a player, and I had my LE in).

sanityislost
04-02-04, 21:27
Originally posted by Lupus

Well everyone now like gets to mc5, walks outside, looks to there left, see's a bunker, thinks "ooooooo whats in there", walks on over,finds a gen rep,thinks "ooooooooo omg sexy thing its got lights n everything MUST CLICK.........WTF I HAVE AN APPY2",GR's outta mc5.

THANK GOD GR's ARE SEXY OR WE WOULDNT HAVE ANY NOOBS

Nash_Brigham
04-02-04, 21:31
Originally posted by ElfinLord
Probably not, but we are the only kick-ass, flip me upside-down, spank me on the ass screamin' "Who's your daddy?" game that has sewers and rats!!!

:lol: :D :lol: :D

BTW, don't ask me where that came from. I have no idea! :D UO has sewers and rats in the sewers :p

g0rt
04-02-04, 21:43
Originally posted by Nash_Brigham
UO has sewers and rats in the sewers :p

Not to mention the infamous RATMEN!

:p

Every mmorpg has rats its like....a standard element of any mmorpg (new/old).

g0rt
04-02-04, 21:43
hi how come when i click save submit twice by accident YE OLD "you cannot post for 60 seconds" doesn't kick in and stop this double post shit from going down?

sanityislost
04-02-04, 22:38
prolly some sorta lag there side, meh i dunno. stop looking at me grrr

Zanathos
04-02-04, 22:48
You dont even need to kill rats to level beyond the point of killing other high level mobs.....

Hell, in some cases, i go straight to outzone and hunt there.

Glok
04-02-04, 22:53
I ran small sewer rat missions for about 2 hours on my newest char. Then spent a day ressing and building 200 psi boosters. Then it was aggie cellars for about a day, then TH core 6 for another day, and now I'm hunting warbots. 4 days total to that point. Anyone who kills rats for 2 weeks... well... I ain't saying.

Darkborg
05-02-04, 01:10
i remember when i started out hunting in the sewers.
Dang those were the days.
I can still remember the layout of the sewers near Next Hq :p .

But i only stayed in sewers more than a few days on my first char. After that i figured a few things out hehe.
Amongst other things that the best place for powerlvl from low lvl is in tg caves 3.

neophotographer
05-02-04, 03:12
Originally posted by Vid Gamer

As long as TMO doesn't have us stabbing sewer rats with a bent fork for the first two weeks of play before we can actually level up enough do something interesting, we're up for it.

it took them 2 weeks to get out of the sewers? damn...even when I first started playing it didn't take me 2 weeks to get out of canyon.....took me more like 5 hours....what'd they do? play 20 minutes a day? :lol:

El_MUERkO
05-02-04, 03:21
Closing Comments
Despite minor issues, Neocron did manage an impressive launch and is showing signs of improvement with each and every pass. Is it enough to warrant hordes of gamers dropping their alternate lives in established titles such as Everquest or Anarchy Online? No. However, it may gain a nice cult following from those looking for a change of pace in atmosphere and gameplay from their current multiplayer playlists.

See he even meantions us :D

I will say this though as a totally clueless noob (beta 4, 56k meant waiting for the PC format cover disk) only playing for about an hour at a time before going back to play CS I did spend a few weeks killing things in sewers, in the end I was using a phosphor moded rifle and killing giant rats two shots!! Damn I was l33t :cool:

Shadow Dancer
05-02-04, 03:24
What crystal chronicles review mumbly? How was it?

neophotographer
05-02-04, 13:47
Hi Stacey,

Now, I don't want to name any names, but this has been my experience with several MMOs. I don't know what the game design theories are behind such a harsh introduction, but it just ain't my cuppa tea after the first time (where the sheer novelty keeps you going). I started into an MMO one day and ended up playing the whole day--then the spell suddenly broke when I realized just how little was different from my first experience with another game, which reminded me of the eventual level grind that made me leave the original. At this point, I steer clear of any MMO until it's had a few months to mature.

Cheers,

Tom McNamara
Associate Editor, IGN PC

quite interestesting. :) I E-mailed him and not more than 4 hours later (didn't check my mail for a bit) got a reply. :) looks while he was referring to MMORPG's in general, he also was probably thinking of Neocron....then again, who knows eh? :) just a lil tidbit for all the trollers out there. =P

Stacey