PDA

View Full Version : Idea to make Melee viable in PvP... yet not overpowered for PvM

Heavyporker
03-02-04, 23:41
How about making melee immune to the 'stone-skin' status of runners?

Not making a poll about this just yet.. i just wanna throw it up there, see how everyone reacts.

Melee has a lot going against it - extremely limited range, rapid degradation of weapons, server-code screwing up frequently, and extremely limited types of damage versus some limited bonuses like no need for ammo and plentiful replacements for their weapons (atm possible because everyone's selling their melee parts cheap).

I find it amusing that in the info description it says the double-edge sword was forged to be next to indestrucible and keep sharp... And i find it amusing that blades of light break damn fast (never mind that in this case degradation might come from the lenses and shit in the handle getting misaligned, things can be done to stop that easily enough). And it'd be SOOOoooOOOOooo easy to give poison mods to blades and heat mods to laserblades (this is the straightforward and reasonable solution to damage types, I'm still laughing at te guy that wants to give laserblades poison).

I also find it odd that with the info text for baseball bat, they don't give a mild beggarshocker effect... or automatically aim for the legs... :P

And I firmly, firmly believe that hand grenades should be melee (or a combo of pure STR/DEX req, no subskill required)

please, guys, talk this up.

Rade
03-02-04, 23:44
So you want to tripple the damage output of melee weapons in
PvP o_O o_O o_O o_O You havent tried melee in the last month
or so have you?

Melee weapons are actually great in PvP as of now. Me and
-=Sirox=- has been cutting though people in OP wars, he with
DG, me with BoH. And in duels and one on one situations melee
tanks everywhere are reporting amazing results. Doesnt look like
melee needs anymore love atm.

edit: Imo hand grenades should be based off agility and dex/str,
makes most sense.

Opar
03-02-04, 23:46
For the BBB, it would be cool if when you hit the guy, the person being hit's camera would like aim to the side, and at the ground, to show he has been hit accord the face, and now leant over, recovering. Well. The force of the bat swung his head the one side. Or something. @_@

Ehyuko
03-02-04, 23:47
O.o

Melee is quite good in pvp - assuming the melee person can get into melee range. No recticle, great damage, I played a melee tank on a clan mates alt, he played a ppu. 5 minutes after I was on we got attacked by some enemy factioned runners who ALSO had a ppu, we slaughtered them [enemy group was a spy PE apu and ppu].

While melee weapon degrading and server code probably do need an adjustment, why not focus your attention on that instead of using it for an excuse to do massive damage?

Sure force/energy is the most commonly defended types of damage in game, but that doesn't stop a devil's grave from ripping off 80 - 120+ damage a hit on these armoured people.

Rade
03-02-04, 23:54
Originally posted by Ehyuko
O.o

Melee is quite good in pvp - assuming the melee person can get into melee range. No recticle, great damage, I played a melee tank on a clan mates alt, he played a ppu. 5 minutes after I was on we got attacked by some enemy factioned runners who ALSO had a ppu, we slaughtered them [enemy group was a spy PE apu and ppu].

While melee weapon degrading and server code probably do need an adjustment, why not focus your attention on that instead of using it for an excuse to do massive damage?

Sure force/energy is the most commonly defended types of damage in game, but that doesn't stop a devil's grave from ripping off 80 - 120+ damage a hit on these armoured people.

Nod, I played my friends melee tank for a bit, some of you people
might have seen nephtys fooling around in PP1. And I was
schooling CS tanks without much work, and hes only base 80 str
or something like that. Melee is amazing now.

**edit: oh he uses PoB btw.

mdares
03-02-04, 23:59
best counter to melee tanks: dev and lag

Rade
04-02-04, 00:02
Originally posted by mdares
best counter to melee tanks: dev and lag

Well actually, dev=lag. Clientside lag. For me anyway.

It feels so stupid to die to a gun just because it lags you :mad: :mad: :mad:

Shadow Dancer
04-02-04, 00:05
let melee bypass shields!

Heavyporker
04-02-04, 00:07
Well, if you think melee has been fixed, well and fine. "Assuming" is definitely the right word for a meleeist.. thanks to para, the shattering of his legs, suddenll going through thin air or a pool of water, whatever...

And I don't think grenades should be dependent on a specced subskill... the agility would be implied by the DEX... I don't give a damn whatever you think - anyone, and I mean ANYONE should be capable of at least flinging a grenade far enough from himself to not blow himself up from using it. Accuracy be damned, thats what AoE is for! By being that accessible, grenades would get a LOT more widespread use ingame.

Rade
04-02-04, 00:08
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
let melee bypass shields!

*gets a heart attack*

ok lets not go compeltely overboard. How about making the old
shocker melee weapons into shield-bypassers but have them do
lower damage than normal melee weapons, this way youd prefer
to use DG or something against APUs, spies and Tanks (unbuffed
anyway), but those new shieldbreaker weapons against PEs and
especially PPUs?

SamuraiPizzaCat
04-02-04, 00:11
Originally posted by Rade
Well actually, dev=lag. Clientside lag. For me anyway.

It feels so stupid to die to a gun just because it lags you :mad: :mad: :mad:

I know the feeling. Liberators used to fuck my comp up because of
the high RoF. I have to turn off sound to not get lagged to death
by them :\

Psycho Killa
04-02-04, 00:11
Make it so you can actualy hit someones legs using melee theres no hit boxes as it is now... or was that way the other week.

Heavyporker
04-02-04, 00:13
shield-breaker... hell no.

he said BYPASS.

this means that in a fullfledged brawl, the meleeists would be the only ones able to really bring the fight to the PPU or PE...

Geezus... a 94/min RoF shieldbreaker... yikes.

Rade
04-02-04, 00:14
Originally posted by Heavyporker
shield-breaker... hell no.

he said BYPASS.

this means that in a fullfledged brawl, the meleeists would be the only ones able to really bring the fight to the PPU or PE...

Geezus... a 94/min RoF shieldbreaker... yikes.

bleah I meant shield bypass, wasnt that obvious?

Heavyporker
04-02-04, 00:17
Nope.

And arent those shockers the weakest weapons in the game, along with the shocker guns? at least those shocker guns got the option to do xray damage.

Watching 2's and 5's float off... what fun

Shockers should stay shockers. In fact, reducing their reqs might make them get used a bit more outside of PvM to slow the mob down a bit.

Rade
04-02-04, 00:30
Nope.

And arent those shockers the weakest weapons in the game, along with the shocker guns? at least those shocker guns got the option to do xray damage.

Shockers should stay shockers. In fact, reducing their reqs might make them get used a bit more outside of PvM to slow the mob down a bit.

Ok, try listening and try to read into the post instead of making
stupidass remarks over and over. I never said the shocker
damage should stay the same. I said change them to bypass
shields so that you would use DG, or something, on unbuffed
people and the old shockers, now shieldbypassers, on PEs and
PPUs, of course they would need to be boosted so that you
actually want to use them on PEs and PPUs, duh.

Ehyuko
04-02-04, 00:38
Well, if you think melee has been fixed, well and fine. "Assuming" is definitely the right word for a meleeist.. thanks to para, the shattering of his legs, suddenll going through thin air or a pool of water, whatever

Let me say DRUGS! And also that every other class has to deal with it too, melee makes up for it in the damage and accuracy of each attack.

Being para'ed sucks yes, but it's hardly an excuse for melee people to be increased in power, say for instance that you meet someone who CAN'T para then... wouldn't in that respect melee be overpowered?

Devourer is basicly a melee weapon, may people are forgetting this.

Again, the same thing EVERY other class has to deal with.

Heavyporker
04-02-04, 00:56
Even on PPUs I do like 30s and shit... its that they heal up.

Anyways, rade, you spoke of the shockers as being weapons in of themselves, not like some sort of "effect" that would let the actual melee weapons bypass the shield.

Rade
04-02-04, 00:58
Even on PPUs I do like 30s and shit... its that they heal up.

Anyways, rade, you spoke of the shockers as being weapons in of themselves, not like some sort of "effect" that would let the actual melee weapons bypass the shield.

Yes exactly. Use the shockers and make them stronger and have
them bypass shields. The other melee weapons should still be
stronger against peopel with shields but these new bypass
weapons should be slightly better against PEs with buffs up, and
alot better against PPUs.

Shadow Dancer
04-02-04, 01:02
Well rade, how do you fair against melee tanks?

See I think they need a little something special OTHER than just increased damage.

Psyco Groupie
04-02-04, 01:04
it u give melee tanks ammo mods they will be as powerful if not more than a devourer

as for pvm .. they should do the dmg cos they gotta get so close todo it

Rade
04-02-04, 01:06
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Well rade, how do you fair against melee tanks?

See I think they need a little something special OTHER than just increased damage.

Ive only ever fought one or two so its hard to say really. I won
those but I had to fight for it, I feel that they are very similar to H-
C tanks balance-wise. Of course H-C tanks have range and AE
and all sorts of neat stuff. Imo H-C shouldnt be very powerfull at
point blank range, but own anyone at medium range, and Melee
should be the best close range weapon. If melee should be
compared to H-C and then buffed over it due to the lack of range
and AE it will simply be too overpowered.

ezza
04-02-04, 01:12
ive not PvP'd with my melee tank since about 2 patches ago so dunno if its been changed but the only problem i found with melee was that if the person was moving away from you, it would miss, even if technically you hit them

if that was sorted out melee would be fine, i never used to have to much trouble killing people with melee, i should cap both my melee tanks and get back at it to see, however when i leave my Heavy tank for more than 5mins i start to lose my aiming skills