PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions about FFXI

Mingerroo
03-02-04, 18:19
Hi, just wondering a few things that I would hope a UK player could answer for me:

Whats the monthly fee like?
Is there a lot to do?
Do you ever get bored?
Would it be a game worth getting for someone who loves FF games, and gets bored of good ole 'cron from time to time?

That's it I think.

Steve

Jest
03-02-04, 18:44
I'm a huge fan of FF but only played FFXI for a month. It was too boring. I would level for hours, gain almost nothing, and then die and lose an hours worth of hunting. And when I teamed at my level, I actually gained levels slower.

It has some good elements to it, and by all means dont take my word for it, you might like it. But I sure as hell did not. I'd play different fantasy games before I played that one.

Mingerroo
03-02-04, 18:46
Oh ok, well I'm gonna hold off then, at least until I can afford to blow my money on something different (atm I don't have that much time to play anyway).

Steve

and1guy
03-02-04, 19:09
yeah i didnt like it either, it was turn based.. the mob hit u, u hit the mob.. etc.. was ****** as hell, the maps/towns were confusing to me also.. but i only played about 10 hours worth.. fucking NC :)

Radamez
03-02-04, 19:23
FFXI = glorified leveling treadmill

Trust me.. this game is THE timesink of the century.

I usually like people to make up their own mind on a game, but in this case, I would seriously advise against getting it.

LTA
03-02-04, 21:20
I find it a good break of from nc.

Nice to be able to do things without everyone calling you this that n the other.
Monthly is something around 9 quid a month and 60 p per extra char you want.
Leveling hits a dead point where you have to team and get to know peeps, find the right team and head to the right place and you will level like sh1t of a shovel.
there's a fair amount to do, tradeskills are there (blacksmiths, tanners etc etc) all the items you make can be sold or bought through the auction house system (player run economy almost).
Bosses to fight areas to explore rares to find etc all the general mmorpg stuff.
Can be a dull sometimes but just depends on what you like, it does well to bring all the FF effects into a mmorpg and still stay lag free (generally)

Oh yeah it's pretty much Bug Free and if there are bugs they ain't really noticable (havent bugged yet since 2/3 month of playing) and there's people everywhere, lots of people most servers have a good 3/4k peeps on peak times from what i seen so almost all the areas have people in them unlike nc sometimes with its empty wastes.

Pvp will be in soon but peeps/square are hinting you will goto another dimension to duel etc.

o and you people who lose all your hours of work hunting.... try buying a scroll of reraise from the guard (got lowered to 500 conq points).... when you die activate it when the mob has moved and you will be ressed. :rolleyes:

Marx
03-02-04, 21:25
buy XIII (http://www.xiii-thegame.com/uk/virtualtour/) instead.

;)

joran420
03-02-04, 21:32
I played for about 2 months had paid for 6 and unistalled aftrer 2 months ...freeing up the 6gigs that crap took up on my hard drive was worth more than the money i was losing by not playing it

IMHO it was fun for about 20 or so lvls ...but all the mobs look the same so at lvl 20 your killing a mob that looks EXACTLY like the mob you killed at lvl 1....bleh i got bored of it quickly

Lethys
03-02-04, 21:39
Originally posted by Marx
buy XIII (http://www.xiii-thegame.com/uk/virtualtour/) instead.

;)

Buy both :p

The main advantage FFXI has over NC is that if you enjoy the game, then there's enough content to keep you going for literally years. There's 15 jobs to try out (if you calculate the race/job/subjob combinations, there's 1125 different characters), and a good thing is that if you get bored of a job, you can try out another job starting from level 1, then go back to your old job and still have the same level for it. On top of that, there's the mission system (glorified epic runs) which you have to do to buy certain items, and literally hundreds of sub-quests. There's also 100+ "Notorious Monsters"; Unique named mobs which drop rare items. The world map is pretty damn big, and not being able to teleport everywhere easily like in NC makes it seem a lot bigger.
Money can seem very difficult to get, but have a look at the Auction House prices and see where you can make a profit (example: a quest asks you to bring 3 of an item to an NPC. The items cost 500 gil each, and the reward is 5k).
Tradeskills are different in that you can't just put points in them, to level them up you have to actually do them.

Leveling can get dull. After level 15 it's extremely difficult to level solo. After 30 it's impossible. Problem is, I live in the Uk and imported the game, so I'm usually on too early to catch US players, and too late to team up with the Japanese. Hopefully the game will be released in Europe soon and that will change.

It goes without saying that this game isn't for everyone. Until PvP is implemented, the leveling treadmill is the main part of the game, and it can seem very daunting. The relatively slow turn-based combat will irritate a lot of FPS fans. However, if you enjoy that sort of thing, then FFXI is brilliant.

And for an extra $1 a month, You can't say no to Tetra Master, probably the most addictive mini-game ever. There's gotta be 100 hours of gameplay in that alone :lol:

But having said that, XIII pwns too :D