PDA

View Full Version : How to follow a stealther

s0apy
03-02-04, 13:44
in short (since no one ever reads my posts to the end, or even past the first sentence, or even past my name on the post, or even... shite, i'm fooked already), you can't do it in 3rd person.

i mention this because, pre patch, in all the "nerf the stealth" threads it became obvious that certain folks were having a hard time following, and therefore killing, stealthy dudes. this puzzled me since i've generally had a lot of luck doing this (following, although not necessarily killing, them). but this was on my PE, whom i play entirely in 1st person mode (what? i just do, ok?).

my tankey, who is MC (and lovin' it), i play in 3rd person (what? no really, you can't fookin' use MC in 1st person, ok?) and i couldn't follow stealthers for shit until i realised (d'uh) - flip to 1st person and i could follow them happily all over the map (provided they were foolish enough to run in relatively straight lines, or assume that i couldn't see them).

so, just me noticed this? i doubt it, but was unable to find any mention of it (here come the links). anyway, thought i'd share.

while we're here, anyone else got some tips they'd like to share for following stealthers to their doom?

sw1tch
03-02-04, 14:05
hmm, i'll have to try that, usualy i try to tag them with a simple electroshocker so when they stealth you can follow the shock

El_MUERkO
03-02-04, 14:05
The complaints were made generally by those who didnt want to have to think to win a fight.

Or were made about a particular brand of PE that shouts people with a single burst a gun before stealthing away like an annoying fly.

The increased INT requirement means many of the irritating PEs can only use stealth 1 and will eventually get drug flashed and leave people alone.

Selendor
03-02-04, 14:07
yeah I try and shock or boost them to follow them, but I play in 3rd person and have a lot of trouble seeing where they've ran off to if they're not sprouting spell effects. I'll have to try that in 1st person.

SynC_187
03-02-04, 14:09
Never had a problem following stealthers.

I understand people getting fed up of the 1 shot, stealth, 1 shot stealth people, but other than that I don't see a problem with it.

I just started using stealth 1 on my PE and it sucks. 10 seconds doesn't get you anywhere if you want to spy on people.

The time it takes to sync recently on Saturn, you can't safely stealth and them genrep, by the time you get to the other side, the stealths about to wear off.

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
The increased INT requirement means many of the irritating PEs can only use stealth 1 and will eventually get drug flashed and leave people alone.

Don't need drugs for stealth 1

extract
03-02-04, 14:11
Or were made about a particular brand of PE that shouts people with a single burst a gun before stealthing away like an annoying fly.

the drug flash isnt particularly bad, and I am that spy, youd be amazed how you can follow a person you hate, wait til they engage in PVP shoot them once with SH and watch them fall to the ground as the other guy finishes him off :angel:

El_MUERkO
03-02-04, 14:13
which is why being hit by a sniper rifle should do more than knock health of the target they should be able to tell the diffence between the ray of good they're getting in the face and the SH in the back.

extract
03-02-04, 14:16
which is why being hit by a sniper rifle should do more than knock health of the target they should be able to tell the diffence between the ray of good they're getting in the face and the SH in the back.

to quote vet and many others "its a post apocalyptic game with core PvP elements, DEAL WITH IT!!!!"

thats the answer for everything

just for the record I agree, but its pretty much a given when you get shot with a SH, its the only weapon, ASIDE from HL that can take 1/3-1/2 youre health in one shot.........

japata
03-02-04, 14:20
Well most ranges are calculated from the point where camera wobbles around. In 1st you're "closer" to the stealthing tarsier than in 3rd... but does this affect weapon ranges too? I know that at least in barrels and AE weapon aiming the camera's direction judges where the blast will hit.

Anyway, would be cool if the devteam could find a solution to this inconsistence.

extract
03-02-04, 14:25
Originally posted by japata
Well most ranges are calculated from the point where camera wobbles around. In 1st you're "closer" to the stealthing tarsier than in 3rd... but does this affect weapon ranges too? I know that at least in barrels and AE weapon aiming the camera's direction judges where the blast will hit.

Anyway, would be cool if the devteam could find a solution to this inconsistence.

agreed, cursor should reflect same spot in both first and third person, unlike when you barrel in third u can have cursor up ahead but end up barreling at youre feet, nothing but a mere annoyance but would be cool if could be fixed

s0apy
03-02-04, 14:31
on following the blue swirly -

i tend to try and hang back a little - as much as poss really - since a sudden change of direction will cause you to lose the stealther if you are too close to see the direction of the motion. finding the right distance and maintaining it is the trick, but next to impossible in 3rd person.

remember that the stealther may not be facing the direction they are moving in.

COUNT. start counting from when the steath starts so you know when it'll stop. time it right and you can draw your weapon just as they are comming out of the stealth.

shoot legs. a crippled stealther is a slow stealther. a slow stealther is easy to follow.

another one people forget to take into account is that stealthers can see you. back when i used stealth i'd tend to try and keep my opponent in view (running backwards) so as to better position myself where he was not.

s0apy
03-02-04, 14:37
Originally posted by japata

my worry is that a fix to the third person view may be exploitable (in terms of following stealthers) if not done correctly. anyway, one could argue that there should always be certain disadvantages to 3rd person view (as there are also distinct advantages too), but it's a pain because 3rd person is essential to using melee - not a choice.

quickly switching back and forth is the best plan ATM. it's tricky, but can be done.

Archeus
03-02-04, 14:52

I disagree. As a sniper once they know where you are, all you can do is flee to another spot. When they don't realise where they are being shot from it is easier to take them out (or help someone).

I normally stealth to scout safely, then drop down, pop up take a shot, drop down again, repeat once or twice then move to new location.

If half the people I hit knew they were being snipered I know it would be a hell of a lot harder to do so.

I use Stealth1 for quick pop up and look, S2 for movement and S3 for escape/scouting. Btw, maybe I am special or something but stealth drugs give me 0 drug haze.

El_MUERkO
03-02-04, 14:59
Originally posted by Archeus
I disagree. As a sniper once they know where you are, all you can do is flee to another spot. When they don't realise where they are being shot from it is easier to take them out (or help someone).

I normally stealth to scout safely, then drop down, pop up take a shot, drop down again, repeat once or twice then move to new location.

If half the people I hit knew they were being snipered I know it would be a hell of a lot harder to do so.

I use Stealth1 for quick pop up and look, S2 for movement and S3 for escape/scouting. Btw, maybe I am special or something but stealth drugs give me 0 drug haze.

Sniping in real life follws the same logic, you dont repeatedly fire from one location you have to move.

This isnt even that hard, if you use stealth, you hit someone, stealth and relocate then hit them again. I'm not saying it should be eay to find the sniper just that if someone takes 1/3 my health I'd like to know about it.

Ormy
03-02-04, 19:53
Haaaaang on a minute, isn't the whole idea of stealth to make sure nobody can see you?

:confused:

Judge
03-02-04, 19:57
Yes but some people find it hard to use their brains in PvP, so these nice chappys are helping them out. Also really helping themselves so that they don't have to read any more stupid "nerf stealth" threads.

Archeus
03-02-04, 20:02
In first person you can see them fine, providing you have your graphics set up. If you have your graphics toned down it is almost impossible to see the stealther even if they are up close beside you (actually I was amazed at how hard it is compared to what I normally have running).

So all those people turning down thier settings to get better FPS for PvP'ing are basically gimping themselves.