PDA

View Full Version : Emotes!

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 01:05
Seems like such a simple idea, so there must be a reason for it not being implemented right? I mean, a simple /me laughs command resulting in "Zeetek Laughs", for example, can add so much to a game. There is nothing like this in nc..have I missed something? If not, I'd like to hear one good reason why it's not in the game and why it would be so hard to put in.

Cytaur
03-02-04, 02:15
there should be a point and laugh emote.... or angrily stomping the ground.... a dance, just like strippers, random of those anims.... a cry emote where you hold your eyes and sob and then wipe your nose..... a robot dance would pwn especially in CA PA

Benjie
03-02-04, 08:49
Originally posted by Cytaur
there should be a point and laugh emote.... or angrily stomping the ground.... a dance, just like strippers, random of those anims.... a cry emote where you hold your eyes and sob and then wipe your nose..... a robot dance would pwn especially in CA PA
I don't think thats what he means.

I think he means that if you type /me smiles, then text appears saying... *ZeeTek smiles*

I actually think it's a good idea. I don't understand why an mmorpg wouldn't have it in.

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 09:13
Yes absolutely, can we get some sort of response on this? It would add so much for a totally minimal effort.

amfest
03-02-04, 12:32
yes though not pressing I think it would be great to be able to type /me or as some know it /action

This would be a great lil thing to throw in the next patch :P

ElfinLord
03-02-04, 12:38
Is this "feature" something found in most other MMORPG's or is it just FF XI?

Nidhogg
03-02-04, 12:47
Originally posted by Benjie
I don't think thats what he means.

I think he means that if you type /me smiles, then text appears saying... *ZeeTek smiles*

I actually think it's a good idea. I don't understand why an mmorpg wouldn't have it in. Why don't you just type:

*ZeeTek smiles*

:p

N

GT_Rince
03-02-04, 12:53
Originally posted by Nidhogg
Why don't you just type:

*ZeeTek smiles*

N

There is always one smartass ;)

/me wonders if he can call Nid a smartass and get away with it :D

sw1tch
03-02-04, 13:35
Originally posted by Nidhogg
Why don't you just type:

*ZeeTek smiles*

N

caus it would say:
ZeeTek: *ZeeTek smiles*

instead of just
*ZeeTek smiles*

which might not look any different to most people, buti think it would be a cool addition for roleplaying, and anyone who uses IRC willl like it :p

amfest
03-02-04, 14:08
most chat systems use an emote command . . . dont' see why this can't be easily put in. so instead of saying

amfest: amfest jumps up and down

you'll see

amfest jumps up and down

not much to ask for . . I mean .. we could be asking for more animations to make our characters to do . . hell I'd love a menu to come up with clickable animations for our character to do .. so I can bring up the menu .. click kiss animation and then choose that sexy female PE sitting on the medicare bench :eek:

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 14:57
If we want any sort of rp in neocron this has to be implemented. Perfect example of minimum investment for maximum gain.

J. Folsom
03-02-04, 14:59
Yes, it does have to be implemented!

J. Folsom: *Makes a pentagram of mutant hair and sacrifices a drom in it*

Looks way less cool then:

J. Folsom makes a pentagram of mutant hair and sacrifices a drom in it

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 15:04
So to summarise, it's simple, easy to use, easy to implement and has no drawbacks whatsoever. Let's have it KK!! :angel:

ElfinLord
03-02-04, 15:42
While this is a very good idea, I think KK should focus more on fixing the stuff that's broken than adding in little stuff like this.

No matter how easy it might be to implement.

Just my opinion, though.

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 18:57
The lack of an emote system isn't just an inconveniance for a game like neocron..it's embarrasing. I mean come on, all of those who play other MMOs such as AO will now how fundamental it is. This should have been implemented from day 1, I mean seriously like closed beta. It's that basic.

Edit: Just struck me, even IRC has emotes!! Come on KK!!

Mr. Chainsaw
03-02-04, 19:03
*Mr. Chainsaw Pimp walks*

I always liked the way that some emotes are built into the game, so someone is actually animated when you speak to them. I like this idea though, it's a good one.

Mr. Chainsaw: hello drom
Mr. Chainsaw: Sex

ElfinLord
03-02-04, 19:05
Originally posted by ZeeTek
The lack of an emote system isn't just an inconveniance for a game like neocron..it's embarrasing. I mean come on, all of those who play other MMOs such as AO will now how fundamental it is. This should have been implemented from day 1, I mean seriously like closed beta. It's that basic.

Edit: Just struck me, even IRC has emotes!! Come on KK!!
Why is not having an emote system an inconvenience? Why is it so fundamental?

Keep in mind this is the first MMO that I've ever played so maybe I'm not aware of some things, but I just can't see how the ability to have written in the chat screen:

*PsiFreak waves*

instead of:

PsiFreak: *PsiFreak waves*

is so fundamental.

I'm confused, please explain. :confused:

Also, don't misunderstand me, I'm not against this idea, in fact I'm for it. I just want to understand why you believe that it is so essential.

Zanathos
03-02-04, 19:09
More avatar emotes would be great though

my ideas

a saluting emote
a crying
a dance of some sort (victory, just standing there dancing, blah blah blah)
butt smack (taunt)
point and laugh
laugh
sits on the ground emote

J. Folsom
03-02-04, 19:13
Some more visible emotes would be nice too, though preferably related to certain actions.

For example, shaking hands after having completed a trade. Or saluting whoever recruited you after just joining a clan.
Just plain more interactive emotes!

FirestarXL
03-02-04, 19:19
Also something that needs to be fixed, is that you can't emote without saying the keyword needed to trigger it.

But oh yes you can, you can do "/e sex" or whatever? Right? Wrong.

That only works on your local machine, the keyword is not recieved by anyone else so they do not see you perform the emote. A lot of people don't realise this, but try it, get someone else to do the /e or do it using two clients/machines and you will see.

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 19:23
Say you see a friend on the other side of plaza 1, and you want to wave to him without speaking right. Now I know some will say omg why don't you just say hello to him, but let's say you're trying to (god forbid :rolleyes:) roleplay. Your only option would be to type *Zeetek waves* or whatever, which frankly just looks lame when you're trying to be serious. Yeah you could just say hi, and your char would wave, but in such a packed area there's almost no chance that he'd see the movement. So I'm just saying, at least give us the option. I'm sure a lot of you are totally fine with the current system, and I understand that-especially if you're not interested in roleplay. But just having a proper chat emote system would go so far to nuture the almost non existant rp community in neocron. Yes there are way more important things that need addressing-bugs,bdoy, events etc but once it's done it's done, unlike new item, feature etc additions which will invariably need fixes, revamps, stat changes etc.

ElfinLord
03-02-04, 19:28
Now that makes sense.

Thank you.

I wonder if KK will ever implement something like this. :)

We can hope, eh?

Leebzie
03-02-04, 19:31
/me sexes drom

:D *shrugs* More emotes :D

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 19:36
Originally posted by Leebzie
/me sexes drom

:D *shrugs* More emotes :D

OMG what took you so long :p

Ormy
03-02-04, 19:59
I can see that it'd probably be dead easy to implement, and true it wouldn't need bug fixing or other changes etc. But personally i don't see that there's that much need. If nobody's made a thread about this so far (apologies if i'm wrong here) then it can't be bothering people that much. Im not an RP kinda guy, so...whatever.

Psyco Groupie
03-02-04, 20:01
like irc chat. :D

yes

imagine the possiblilties!

"/me slaps *someone* around with a large cursed soul :D

ZeeTek
03-02-04, 20:57
so...is there a reason why this isn't in the game?

LVirus
05-02-04, 12:17
Another great idea that KK could rip off from AO :D

Jaffo
05-02-04, 12:44
it would be cool to have more emotes

one suggestion is that i see a lot of people expressing themselves properly by swearing so wen this happens the character should to an action like stick there middle finger finger up in the air or something like that would be cool