PDA

View Full Version : Testserver & BETA testing of BDOY?

Rith
01-02-04, 23:02
I'm curious, once you've got BDOY into a deployable shape is there any plans to install it onto the testserver and provide a BETA testing download for current subscribers?

Might be a good way to ensure before you go live with these fairly huge changes its been thoroughly play tested.

If thats not enough, the hype might get people to start buying current subs to get the glimpse of the new improved NC BDOY :)

Lastly if its limited to current subscribers we should avoid the more interesting elements of the B4 community :)

Rithy

Nidhogg
01-02-04, 23:02
BDoY will be tested internally I'm afraid.

N

Rith
01-02-04, 23:04
Originally posted by Nidhogg
BDoY will be tested internally I'm afraid.

N

Thats a shame, I'd have thought it a little risky too...

I know BETA-4 tested the moderators more than the game engine, but with a test server handy it would seem to offer a lot of benefit to KK... both in terms of PR and stability

Opar
01-02-04, 23:09
I made a post about this a few days ago. Anyway,

I think KK just dont want some players playing DoY while the others miss out on the fun.... i guess.

Dade Murphey
01-02-04, 23:42
I don't think it's all that plausibly either since it's not in a bunch of little patches but coming on a disc or a large d/l we can buy

Whitestuff
01-02-04, 23:51
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
I don't think it's all that plausibly either since it's not in a bunch of little patches but coming on a disc or a large d/l we can buy

Well, if you played Beta 4, it could be DLed from Fileplanet. It took about 8 hours to get, but I think it was worth it. Still here aren't I?

I agree that it should be beta tested publically to get more PR and what not, but then again, I want a cool surprise too when it comes out so . . . I can't decide!!

Dade Murphey
01-02-04, 23:54
Yes I played beta4...I didn't just regester back then for fun :p Pesonally though I'd rather have the suprise of getting the disc for retain and installing and watching all the FRE's I'm gonna have hahah :p seriously though, I think the suprise will be well worth the wait

Whitestuff
01-02-04, 23:56
^^ Agreed with above. (FRE's and all) :D

]v[ortice
02-02-04, 00:58
I'm not KK but it would be nice if the guys who've had an active paid account since the start of retail could get a sneak peak on the test server as a little thankyou.

Not gonna happen tho unfortunately.

There doesn't seem to be a reward scheme for loyalty around here :)

In all seriousness I'm happy to wait. Just as long as I get to play DoY at the same time as everyone else... like on the same day then I won't complain.

I am however starting to worry about the hardware side of things and whether my tired old GF2 pro will handle all the DoY aesthetic goodness. Would be cool if it did... I'm hoping to upgrade in the meantime but it will really be all down to cash.

You really shouldn't have asked that question tho. If you think about it... an Open Beta or testing of sorts would mean everyone stops playing the game since u can't charge for testers realistically (Beta 5 anyone?). Similarly if there was a closed Beta... how could KK make it fair to all paying customer's? The whines would be unholy. We could have a DoY Testing lottery I spose.

Nidhogg
02-02-04, 01:26
Originally posted by ]v[ortice
There doesn't seem to be a reward scheme for loyalty around here :)Except for the fact that existing customers will pay less than someone who picks it up off the shelf. Doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me. ;)

N