PDA

View Full Version : OT - Windows ME Startup

Drexel
01-02-04, 22:41
Please Help, I havent had my Neocrack since Patch 195 as it wont run on my PC, a backround program running seems to be stopping it.

I have been told that on Windows 2k you could hold down 'shift' during start up & it would stop the loading of startup programs, but this doent seem to work with Windows ME, does anyone know the Windows ME option ?

Please, it been 4 days & im hurtin' . :(

Mumblyfish
01-02-04, 22:45
I've never heard a WinME question in years. Seriously.

Drexel
01-02-04, 22:50
Please dont laugh, I havent played in 4 days & im a little fragile right now.

WebShock
01-02-04, 23:33
try f8 and see if you go into safe mode. then kill whatever program it is. thats what works for xp and 2k.. dunno about me

get rid of that crap 50 meg OS man. xp is dirt cheap these days and u wont regret the upgrade

ElfinLord
01-02-04, 23:38
What happens when you try to launch Neocron?

Do you know that name of this program that is interfering with its launch?

Have you tried scanning for spyware and viruses or reinstalled Neocron?

Do you use any 3rd party apps for NC?

retr0n
01-02-04, 23:39
2k > xp

You can also run "msconfig", just select Start -> Run -> and type msconfig
and you can see all the startup apps there, just uncheck the box
and it will not start the next time, not sure if ME has msconfig
installed but there are other 3rd party apps that do the same
or you can have a friend with 2k or XP send you the .exe

//Radium

Omnituens
01-02-04, 23:48
*agrees with retr0n*

XP for show, 2k for the pro.

when does it cease to stop booting NC?

WebShock
02-02-04, 01:26
tell me how 2k>xp

all xp is, 2k with the fisher price addon and some new media add-ons.

i use 2k at work and xp at the house, i definitely think xp is the better choice.

when xp first came out it blew chunks, but now, its cool :)

Drexel
02-02-04, 02:13
My problem is a Neocron 'feature', it crashes to desktop with the following error...

"Multiple instances of cilent.exe detected. This instance will close now'

This was the gimpage introduced for multiple account players on one PC, but I have another thread on this so I shouldent talk about that here.

I do have a second account bt I have never tried that log on at teh same time thingy, so it shouldent apply to me, thats why I think its a backround programe stopping me. A few mates have two accounts & thier logging on fine.

A Neocron re-install wont help because Neocron is supposed to do this its a 'feature'.

Odin has said that the next patch would not reject logon but only warn of possible poor performance & let you continue. But I cant wait.

I have tried Search & Destroy & a few others, but theres crap like Quicktime & other spy shit I just cant get rid off, & one of them is the culprate but im not sure which, there seems to be a whole heap of shit running I cant get rid of & Neocron thinks one of them is a second account open.

So if I can cancel all start ups I might be able to get in. (might)

Hopefully the next patch will help me, but I have a day of work & really wanted to login & try the new patch (bugs & all I miss it so). :(

ElfinLord
02-02-04, 14:20
Ok, here are a couple of programs that I have used before that I thought worked decent enough for what I was doing. Maybe you can find some use from them that might help.

Starter (http://www.webattack.com/get/starter.shtml) lets you see and control applications and processes that start when Windows starts

FreshUI (http://www.freshdevices.com/windows_shortcuts_tweak.html) is a pretty cool little program like TweakUI that let's you change a lot of settings, one of them controls start up and shutdown options.

Both of these programs are free. FreshUI will ask you for an email addy and your name, but that is only so they can email you the registration codes necessary to keep using the program. I have never received any spam from Fresh Devices and I have never had any problems with either program.

I hope this helps, and I hope you are able to get your problem sorted before the next patch so that you can get back to playing.

Drexel
04-02-04, 03:45
WOOT !!!

Im In, it was msconfig that worked, shut down all those nasty startup spies.

@ retr0n, If your on Saturn I will change to my sexy blonde PE & let you sex me on the plaza 1 medicare beds, as much as you like.

Thanks man, it was getting scarey there, 4 days without my Neocrack.

@ ElfinLord, thanks for the links, ill use those to clean up my act.

& to everyone else, thanks, I was getting really desperate & I appreciate the responces. :D