PDA

View Full Version : neocron is too soft

kohrdreck
01-02-04, 07:37
i am dreaming of a new neocron...
a place with very dark places,with defective neons giving discontinious light.... with green fog on the floor,so we can not see our feets...
i am dreaming of dark dirty bars, with a lot of smoke floating through the air...
With high building,giving a claustrophobiac feeling...
i would like to be in a mix of gunm,deus ex and shadowrun world
i would like to see others runners with artificial legs,arms,head...i want to be in a really post nuclear world

i think neocron is too "soft",all runners/pnjs (except mutant) seems to be in perfect health....damn!!! there are radiations everywhere and it doesn t affect people!!
take a look at gunm for example...people are not human anymore...half of their bodies is made with artificials implants...some of them are killed by others in order to steal the last human organs they have inside their bodies....
that's a fucking world,neocron should be like this!!!!
monk pa for example, it's too soft!! the cloak is making new synaptic links in order to improve the capacity of the monk to use psi.... where are the cables going inside the head/body of the
monk? where is all the crazy stuff making you saying, when you see it: "what a dirty use of technology!!!"
monk pa has no charism...

KK take a closer look to gunm or shadowrun artwork
neocron is a post apocalyptic game,make it really frightening!!
it s not enough to put some nude xsexs to make neocron an adult's game...

extract
01-02-04, 07:40
Originally posted by kohrdreck
think neocron is too "soft",all runners/pnjs (except mutant) seems to be in perfect health....damn!!! there are radiations everywhere and it doesn t affect people!!

steel skin baby

Benjie
01-02-04, 07:58
I think thats what the Dome of York is about actually. I may be wrong though. You can choose between a Blade Runner style city, or a real dirty Post Apoc. style city - Neocron or DoY. Personally I think I'm going to stay at Neocron because I love Blade Runner, and NC reminds me of it.

Lanigav
01-02-04, 08:19
Simply because its a post apocolyptic world doesn't mean that Neocron has to look like one giant poisonous gutter. Perhaps everything looked like that after the first human colonies started getting back together after the big one hit, but a couple hundred years or more have passed since then (if I remember the story right), so it makes sense that at least one or two places have gotten their act together and created somewhat hospitible places to live, and that civilization hasn't completely crumbled into utter and total chaos.

Perhaps its just the optimism in me, but I'd like to think that at least one section of surviving humans would be able to create a decent sanctuary and work to improve themselves and try to recover from all the horror and destruction that occured in the past (not to say they would totally ignore what's going on elsewhere, and would still work to defend themselves). TH was the closest thing the game had to it, but now that its turned into a total grunge zone, that feeling is now lost.

DoY should give you what you seek though.

Dade Murphey
01-02-04, 08:43
Do androids dream of electric sheep (bladerunner) was rather post apocolyptic...fall out all over the world...people fleeing to a new planet...all that jazz...but the image I got from it in my mind was similar to Pepper Park...some areas nicer, even some slummier...but all relative...besides...radiation and such starts to disipate after a time...things do eventually get better...it's been a while

kohrdreck
01-02-04, 09:45
well i think doy is well suited for me :p
gunm and blade runner visions are very different for sure
but inside neocron, it s strange...i feel like something is missing...
i think deus ex has more a blade runner atmosphear than neocron
blade runner(as i remember) is dark too
i have the overall feeling that neocron is too "high lighted"(sorry i don t know how to say it in english )
kk has planned to make buildings higher,and that's a good thing
maybe it would be great if they play with luminosity too
i think that the town of neocron need more charisma...
maybe the features of the new 3d engine will do the job

but i still want a more overall agressive design :p

Max Jefferson
01-02-04, 11:52
We need more drugs too, read any classic cyberpunk novel and notice the rampent widespread use of mind and performance enhancing drugs and you'll get the idea.

Neocrons drug system is really weak, we need more drugs that add mad stats, and that are actually illegal and will result in certain faction guards putting holes in your head if found in your possesion. As well as a proper addiction system, where as instead of getting the inevidible crash after 2 or 3 uses like we currently do, but allowing players to continually get their fix of the drug and permenantly postpone the crash, all the while a potential crash would build and build so that if the player did stop taking the drug, it would result in anything from a several hour long to several day long crash.

I agree with the poster though, it seems to me that KK use the term cyberpunk in a very mild sense, as opposed to creating a world you might find in a William Gibson or Philip K. Dick novel.

Benjie
01-02-04, 12:23
Originally posted by kohrdreck
well i think doy is well suited for me :p
gunm and blade runner visions are very different for sure
but inside neocron, it s strange...i feel like something is missing...
i think deus ex has more a blade runner atmosphear than neocron
blade runner(as i remember) is dark too
i have the overall feeling that neocron is too "high lighted"(sorry i don t know how to say it in english )
kk has planned to make buildings higher,and that's a good thing
maybe it would be great if they play with luminosity too
i think that the town of neocron need more charisma...
maybe the features of the new 3d engine will do the job

but i still want a more overall agressive design :p
Not trying to sound patronising, but try messing around with your Gamma correction, brightness and contrast. Put your Contrast to about 2.20 and then alter your brightness and Gamma to compinsate for the Darkness. It makes the game much grittier.

Most people who I know who play neocron have it really bright and with very little contrast, making all the textures look very smooth and the lighting very Drab and unintense.

kohrdreck
02-02-04, 00:42
Originally posted by Max Jefferson

I agree with the poster though, it seems to me that KK use the term cyberpunk in a very mild sense, as opposed to creating a world you might find in a William Gibson or Philip K. Dick novel.

yes, cyberpunk= cyber punk lol
it s like cyber anarchy, it describes a dark chaotic future
neocron is more like a science fiction game; i don t think we can say blade runner is a cyberpunk movie, hmm it s a scifi movie
scifi and cyberpunk are very different,like a john wayne western and a sergio leone one.
i too ,have the feeling that neocron is a scifi game with the cyberpunk label.
i was taking the example of lights in neocron but it s just a part of all.
maybe it s a problem of overall design.
i will post some artworks later to illustrate what i mean

ZoneVortex
02-02-04, 00:55
Oui j'adore cette idée.

I like the make-over they gave to Tech Haven recently, looks a lot more...hardcore if that's possible.

I think more colorful lights, less green, more red, blue, darker colors, stuff like that would really enhance the atmosphere

Rade
02-02-04, 01:04
My taste is less post-apocalyptic and more william gibson
cyberpunk like. But I guess I have to settle for the next best
thing. I do agree with kohrd tho, the game is too neat and too
nice. I want animations of prying out someones bone
enforcement from a barely dead victim to go sell em at Yo's. This
is not supposed to be carebears or pingu ffs, its mankind at its
worst. Should make the mansons look like some kind of fairytale.
Once in a while Id like to get a "urgh, thats gross, wtf is going on
here'" feeling when I play neocron, and Im not talking about Kyle
and Petes sexparties.

Mr. Chainsaw
02-02-04, 01:07
I'm not a huge cyberpunk fan (not because I dislike it, merely because I haven't really encountered it that much). I really love post apocalyptic settings, though. Sometimes I like to hang out in the wastelands where those abandoned buidlings turn up, or those obliterated wastelands around the DOY.

Dade Murphey
02-02-04, 01:27
I don't really think to be cyberpunk anything has to have a specific look...I think it's more about how those there, who are supposed to be these "cyberpunks"...handle what they have to do, how and what they do to get along and survive...it's more about us making the game cyberpunk than it is the game setting doing it...and to me, the setting gives it a nice start

kohrdreck
02-02-04, 03:51
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
I don't really think to be cyberpunk anything has to have a specific look...I think it's more about how those there, who are supposed to be these "cyberpunks"...handle what they have to do, how and what they do to get along and survive...it's more about us making the game cyberpunk than it is the game setting doing it...and to me, the setting gives it a nice start

of course dade,but the settings give more immersion into the world
when i discovered the world of neocron, i was never surprised...all seemed to me very "classic"..
i never stopped in a new place,looked around and said :
"whaaaa it rocks here!!!!"
i asked around "where are the cool places to see into the world?";someone told me to go in TG 'cause he found it nice
i went there....lol..my first impression was :" argh it sucks !" :p
personally i really have a problem with the overall design of the game...
it s too classic i want originality!!!
take a look at the PA for example(except camo tank pa she is cool
:) ) spy pa=django fett ; monk pa=star wars jawa and pe pa....lol..they look like a big fly :lol:

kk make your overall design more original and more aggressive !!!!!
maybe it would be a good thing if kk give us a dev kit to make our own mods to the game (like in other games) ,we could make our own pa,npc,mob etc .... and the best mods would be included in retail patch
i know it s possible now,but it's f*cking complicated , a mod kit would be great

Dade Murphey
02-02-04, 08:24
dude...if you wanna make mods and such for the game...go check out the modifications forum...people do models and such...I'm not sure how everything is done...but I think you can change/mod quite a bit of stuff...

man...when I first got into NC during beta 3...all I did the first time I loggedon was run around looking at the city...funny thing was I don't think I ever got out of Plaza 1...it really blew me away...haha...and the way the neon stood out against every thing...it looked awesome...hehe

kohrdreck
02-02-04, 09:53
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
dude...if you wanna make mods and such for the game...go check out the modifications forum...people do models and such...I'm not sure how everything is done...but I think you can change/mod quite a bit of stuff...

man...when I first got into NC during beta 3...all I did the first time I loggedon was run around looking at the city...funny thing was I don't think I ever got out of Plaza 1...it really blew me away...haha...and the way the neon stood out against every thing...it looked awesome...hehe

yes i took a look at this forum,but the 3d models are special files(special files specific to kk) so it's the hell to make your owns (except some icons in the game but it doesn t interest me )
kk said they will release soon a tutorial to make mods(lol the original message was dated from august2003 :p )
that s why i asked for a dev mod kit

i am playin neo since june2003,and i wasn t surprised by the graphics...nah i think i am a bit sated :lol: