PDA

View Full Version : [idea] power armors need power

DonnyJepp
01-02-04, 00:17
I have this idea where they add some power armor battery packs (light, medium, heavy, for monks/spies, PEs, tanks) that are kind of like ammo for your PA. For fairness the spy and monk PA would take lighter battery packs than the PE and tanks'.

The power packs would be slightly heavier than ammo in weight, and last around 2 minutes apiece. I'd make them weigh enough that someone can only carry 4-5 and then they have to recycle some or hit the gogo.

When the power source for your PA was engaged it would significantly reduce the negative effects of the PA suit. You could have a battery indicator similar to a spell or construction icon in the lower right corner indicating the power level of the battery. After 2 minutes your power source would disengage and you'd have to drag another battery onto your PA. They might have to add a hotkey binding for "engage/disengage PA power source".

The benefit of this is we could offset the negative aspect of PA in a way that requires some ongoing effort to maintain. If you chose to not carry batteries around you could continue to use your PA in the way it's currently implemented. We'd have to find room in our semi-crowded inventories to carry yet another kind of supplies with us.

comments welcome, mods you can move to brainport after some votes.

Q`alooaith
01-02-04, 00:21
Now that's a fairly good idea..

Maybe not click and drag, more like use like booster's or somthing..

But with no ablity to turn off once turned on..

Also, make it a money sink so you can't clone them, you have to buy them..

DonnyJepp
01-02-04, 00:26
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
Now that's a fairly good idea..

Maybe not click and drag, more like use like booster's or somthing..

But with no ablity to turn off once turned on..

Also, make it a money sink so you can't clone them, you have to buy them..

I suppose since the benefit would be significant you're right, they might have to be built/bought, ammoparts maybe :D. Since we're talking an item that only comes into use with high-level play that seems fair.

Also would be nice to have the switch be a toggle so you could conserve power. :D

I'd prefer also to not have them require a quickbelt slot, it would seem reasonable to require a return to the inventory screen to actually charge up your suit but the advantage is you could have it charged up before battle and then hit the switch once things get hot. Then you'd have 2-3 minutes before you have to drop another battery onto your armor from the inv screen.

Q`alooaith
01-02-04, 00:32
Well I was just suggesting the quickbelt as it's a bit faster..

Though it's better RP if you have to stop to use it..

The idea of turning it off, is not a good idea I think though, it's a power pack and all it's charge enter's to suit when you use it, turning it off could damage to suit as you've effectivly overcharged it..

RayBob
01-02-04, 01:03
One of the factions in Planetside has a PA that has shields. They only last a short time and then have to regenerate before the next use. Something like this might be interesting for Neocron PAs. Perhaps it would only have 3 uses and then need to be "recharged" using a remote recharge tool that requires high repair skill. :cool:

Leebzie
01-02-04, 01:17
Ahhh so batteries remove the negatives ? cool idea, yah.

No way if its just power them as they are tho, that would just bore me after the first 10 mins.

at least from an RP stance on 'power armor' I *think* its players who really brought the term power armor into neocron (from other games like fallout IIRC) , as they were originally called armorsuits (and the tank ones still are... again IIRC)

But all for removin negs cause of it, otherwise twud just be a pain.

Shadow Dancer
01-02-04, 03:18
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i like this alot.

YES

Scikar
01-02-04, 03:38
Excellent idea.

Lifewaster
01-02-04, 04:17
Can we have batteries for the rest of the items in game that give negatives also then? how about implants.

ZoneVortex
01-02-04, 04:44
Originally posted by Lifewaster
Can we have batteries for the rest of the items in game that give negatives also then? how about implants.

ahhh that'd be too many baterries i think ;)

metalangel
01-02-04, 13:42
I don't like it... stuff doesn't always happen right away in this game, and remember the PA in System Shock 2? That needed a charge to function, and like Neocron, the ponderous nature of the game meant that you'd be constantly fiddling with stupid batteries and watching your charge... instead of, say, enjoying yourself.

Don't forget, it's TEH FUTAR. We have cars that drive forever without needing fuel, plasma guns and energy shields. None of these need batteries (except the plasma guns, shhhh) so let's just say there's a cold fusion cell in the suit that has a 100-year lifespan, and that'll be it.

gostly
01-02-04, 13:49
dont see why people would vote no tbh...

their's no downside to this really...it would be your choice...whether to get rid of the negatives that the current PA's do and use the battery's....or dont worry about battery's and just keep your PA on as it currently is in-game...

5 stars...nice idea

t0tt3
01-02-04, 14:40
Tank need it? yes.. = Armour parts = heavy
Monk? eeh no.. its a robe o_O = cloth = light

Even today you can almost inplant stuff in your cloth fiber this is 200 years later or more '"cant remember :p"

KuifJe
01-02-04, 15:57
Originally posted by t0tt3
Tank need it? yes.. = Armour parts = heavy
Monk? eeh no.. its a robe o_O = cloth = light

Even today you can almost inplant stuff in your cloth fiber this is 200 years later or more '"cant remember :p"

Errr... tanks STR = 5x monk STR :rolleyes:

t0tt3
01-02-04, 19:56
Originally posted by KuifJe
Errr... tanks STR = 5x monk STR :rolleyes:

So? titan armour vs regual clothes who cares that you are 5x stronger monks are weaker then girls they cant carry a shit except for 30 boosters and 5 spells ^^

Its metal vs cloths and that aint 5x times heavy more 20x
so take your 5x more strenght and pu..... ........ ....s

kthxbye

bibliotequa
01-02-04, 20:02
OMG HY TYR!!!! great idea 5 stars

KuifJe
02-02-04, 01:05
Originally posted by t0tt3
So? titan armour vs regual clothes who cares that you are 5x stronger monks are weaker then girls they cant carry a shit except for 30 boosters and 5 spells ^^

Its metal vs cloths and that aint 5x times heavy more 20x
so take your 5x more strenght and pu..... ........ ....s

kthxbye

C A R B O N F I B E R

Thats a 21st century thing...stronger AND lighter then metal

My guess is in ruffly 500 years they MIGHT even have invented better stuff then that :rolleyes:

And if that last bit is hangman...hmmm... I'm going for U