PDA

View Full Version : Which build would be the best tech farmer?

RayBob
31-01-04, 10:51
Assume you wanted to make a character who's sole purpose was to hunt WBs for tech parts. His LE would never come out, no PvP goals, will never hunt fire mobs. A specialized build specifically for farming WBs.

I was thinking either a melee tank or pistol PE. What would you make?

Cytaur
31-01-04, 10:55
I'd say melee tank, don't need WEP so all int would go into hack (some would argue and say it should go to psu). But I say all hack. So melee tank has good con and good attack

Benjie
31-01-04, 10:55
Melee Tank for Warbots Only, I would say.

Thunderbolt, Devils Grace, Rince, repeat. Hack, Loot, start again.

Shadow Dancer
31-01-04, 10:56
Just curious, why no firemobs?

Cytaur
31-01-04, 10:57
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Just curious, why no firemobs?

i guess because they're pain in the ass... spawning minions

japata
31-01-04, 11:11
Yea, spawning minions and a lot lower tech part droprate...

back to the point, I have found out that there are two very good options for WB hunting:

1) Team of 2: A rhino driver and a rhino gunner. One of them should be able to remote repair the rhino when it's busted. Not a chance of dying there - the firepower's just awesome.

2) Team of 1: A HC PE driving Heavy Assault Scorpion Trike. It has almost as good firepower as the rhino, is more agile and can be controlled by the hacking, driving and shooting PE. Offers mean protection too, will hardly die unless a WB spawns when hacking.

I prefer vehicles as there's no need to worry about weight... the downside is that so many skills are required that it hinders pvp strength - nothing to worry about in your case - and the remote nanites cost about 2,4knc per pack, so you will actually lose a bit of money when fighting WB's, unless you can sell those parts if not needed.

Birkoff
31-01-04, 11:16
lowtech pistol pe

Fez
31-01-04, 11:18
combine both ,, melee tank w/ enuff hc and VC to use up to next epic chaincraft, nice damage output i also recmend a heal santum psi /psu setup

shodanjr_gr
31-01-04, 11:19
Id say either a vehicle PE, a hybrid (new ones with energy beam+normal defences should be good) or a pure apu with a lot of mana. Especially a pure APU with a decent mana pool can drop a WB REAL fast

Archeus
31-01-04, 12:01
Rifle spy. That way you can ress them too and hack. Also the rifle will allow you to shoot from well outside the warbies hunt range.

Wesgard
31-01-04, 12:05
i prefer rifle spy too on wb hunting, also my rifle spy is resser and hacker too :)
im not into PvP so in dont realy need WEP, so ive put all into hacking and ress ....

Cytaur
31-01-04, 12:06
rifle spy needs ammo, so melee tank is the most viable

KuifJe
31-01-04, 12:12
Originally posted by Cytaur
rifle spy needs ammo, so melee tank is the most viable

Get 20 odd recycle points and a TL 30 recycling device and teh warbie junk will keep u stocked on ammo beyond your free load ;)

Glorfindel
31-01-04, 12:12
I would say as japata go for the trike cus not only will u take em down fast u will also find tehm alot faster as u dont have to run from wb to wb ;)

Cytaur
31-01-04, 12:16
Originally posted by Glorfindel
I would say as japata go for the trike cus not only will u take em down fast u will also find tehm alot faster as u dont have to run from wb to wb ;)

yeah but some jealous or mad freak would break your trike while you're hacking and not signing who did it

jernau
31-01-04, 12:43
Rifle Spy.

In addition to the points above I found the "sweet spot" for getting maximum drop rate on a rifle spy is easiest to find and stay at (it's just before you cap a RoG for damage).

g0rt
31-01-04, 13:00
firemobs are better then WBs for techs because of the hack time on WBs....not only is it insecure to hack when someone can come up behind you and kick your ass without you knowing, but also the hack makes looting too long. Exp is also a shitload better off almost every *** fire mob then WBs.

anyway, hybrid is the best...nerfed or not you will never die, never have to wait for heal, and kill mobs as fast if not faster then any other class.

and as for the "secret spot", yeah....right...just because you got a few lucky loots doesn't make your combat rank relevent. ive taken out my 107/xx *** hybrid and got good tech drops, booya...and now you can make a hybrid that stays under *** rank so its perfect

done and done.

boneybob
31-01-04, 13:03
wouldent it get a bit boreing after a while JUST farming WBs?

Oh and id say that best for WB farming is a Tank with hack, you can get 50hack on a range weapon tank with-out buggering up your setup.

BB

VetteroX
31-01-04, 13:23
rifle pe or vehcile pe... melee tank is no good... often 2 or more wbs spawn right next to each other, and u cant take 3 hitting u at once... not to mention the spider bots hitting you. rifle or vehcile pe can pick em off 1 at a time. rifle spy would be very good too.

Furion
31-01-04, 13:27
Rifle spy worked well for me, killed the WBs very fast from beyond their range.

h4x

g0rt
31-01-04, 13:28
omg guys

RIFLE SPY SUX FOR WBS

if a fresh WB spawns on top of u midhack, ur DEAD.....crappy

Furion
31-01-04, 13:36
Originally posted by g0rt
omg guys

RIFLE SPY SUX FOR WBS

well, yea :(
its still good for the actual hunting part :lol:

L0KI
31-01-04, 14:20
Melee PE ;)

Mine rakes in the rare parts, and rocks in PvP too

QuantumDelta
31-01-04, 14:23
Originally posted by Birkoff
lowtech pistol pe Or hybrid.

Or possibly melee PE.

Quite seriously, because a low tech pistol pe can go anywhere.
My PE back when he was low-tech could solo everything.
When I went high tech I found it a little harder in PvM, but easier in PvP.
When they uberised mobs my high tech pistol pe could still solo ANY Mob / group of mobs in the game.

Admittedly I never took him against the new guards, but the old guards and copbots would never pose TOO much of a threat so long as I kept my wits about me.

Seriously, PEs, Hybrids, best Solo PvM machines in the entire game.

edit;
Reason I said low tech pistol is because you can get liberator rof up very high even with the LE in.

Sanch0s
31-01-04, 14:25
Apu is the no, 1 char for wb farming. They drop so fast and u can shoot around corners and take cover, more resistant to energy, and have good int to hack easy. Pllus u can own wbs at like rank 20.

2nd choice would be a rifle spy. Use the range, but risk others taking ur wb.

giga191
31-01-04, 14:42
why would u want to make a vhc PE when u can make a tank who can drive a rhino with some imps (no drugs required)

Glok
31-01-04, 15:03
A warbot-hunting, self poking, hovertech driving, energy beam hybrid:

http://www.eastsdomain.com/upload/warbothunter.jpg

Similar to the monk I'm levelling right now.

dr.fish
31-01-04, 15:07
i'd say hc tank that can hack tl 50 and drive and gun a reveler

really fast ( exept the hacking )

cRazy2003
31-01-04, 15:19
solo'ing wb's with a rifle spy is easy as hell, ecspecially at range.
all u need is anti rad suit, energy based con setup, and ur main weapon, kill the wb, and if anyone comes to hack it pull out the sh and castrate him/her which ive done a few times :p

Wilco
31-01-04, 15:38
Originally posted by g0rt
omg guys

RIFLE SPY SUX FOR WBS

Uh, and all other classes aren't?

I didn't know, my fun-spy was SOO inferior in survival of these...

Up to now, it just freaked me, that a newly spawned WB can (and will) take you out, even if you just ran unencumbered over that spawnspot...
(So WB spawned directly behind you, while you're running unemcumbered at a nice speed straight away from it).
No tree to break LOS directly near you... R.I.P. ... and no *caution* in the world can lessen this danger in any way... *curse*
So i simply lived (or better died) with it...

Just my 2c, Wilco

Drexel
31-01-04, 15:42
The best farmer ? Easy

My H-C PE who drives & guns her own Rhino, kill 5 WB at once with heaps of hack & wear duranit 4 & Inq 4 Armour & use Speed Gun for up close & personal.

Its really easy to get the parts to build a Rhino for free from WB loot so you never need a rare weapons , Just build a free Rhino if you need a new one.

Never got more rares than this (& ive try'd quite a few).

s0apy
31-01-04, 15:54
forget PEs and spys, rifles and pistols are toooooooo slow. you can kill a WB with DG in well under 20 seconds. MC tank can also do without that LE brain slot quite happily. DG, even capped, gives no more than rank 51, so happy looting, and happy cash. spiderbots and even cycploses give near 1000NC per kill, and the spiderbots (both regular and small, yes the small ones too) drop, quite often, C10 parts. after a few hours killing WBs and their little friends i've regularly made over 700K selling the C10s to a barter.

plus, and it's a big plus, if you want to go sans LE, an MC tank specced to do perfectly well against a WB is also in a rough approximation of a PvP setup, which is more than can be said of a char specced to fight firemobs.

Shadow Dancer
31-01-04, 21:27
Originally posted by Sanch0s
Apu is the no, 1 char for wb farming. They drop so fast and u can shoot around corners and take cover, more resistant to energy, and have good int to hack easy. Pllus u can own wbs at like rank 20.

Unfortunately that's not true. Because sometimes 1-2 warbots spawn on top of you, it's easy to get unlucky and die quickly. Maybe if they had TL 3 heal I would agree.

I guess you could go pa, holy spirit belt, and put all your con points into health/x-ray(especially) and some energy.

JackScratch
31-01-04, 21:35
I have to say, I have been leveling a production team on Uranus. I built a tank with exactly what you had in mind, not bad, but limited. You want a master warbot killer, the APU is awsome. forget takeing damage, even at mid levels they drop like flies, a wave of the hand and all of your oponents are gone. The APU has a 100 cap int so it isn't like you will be hurting for hack. Remember, the APU special defense devise. Not many know about it, it's that little button on the left side of your mouse.

Birkoff
31-01-04, 21:39
I'd still say low tech pistol PE, you can go anywhere, nice speed, hack.. maybe poke if ur not pvping....... have nice reists and drive + caps a lib.... ur all round excelllence.

Bl1nd
31-01-04, 22:32
for me the best is MC tank my tank and more with hte new duranium boots more enegy

i can kill wbs only taking like 40 damage just running around them sometimes they dont get to hit me

the only con i see is that my DG gets screwed FAST

i have 2 DGs in 2 days of normal hunting u gotta repair it :s

and it isnt easy to find a trustworthy repper with tl 103 base repair

Clyde
01-02-04, 10:12
rifle pe would be the best. Range, self-relyance, Easy to cap, and no rares needed unlike other classes, you could be fine with a Commando which does a very nice ammount of damage now. Itll only take a few days to cap and have enough lvls for everything else to fit in, hacking, recycling, weplore, poking and all that shit.

\\Fényx//
01-02-04, 10:42
I can farm warbots all day long with my melee tank, Only time I have problems is when ive got 3+ warbots on me, 2 is possible, just make sure you have 1 warbot blocking the other warbot's sight on you so cant hit you, I can runcast my heal and have 52 hacking.

IceStorm
01-02-04, 10:49
With enough hack, you can open warbots before the 30 second timer goes to zero. Usually takes around 20 seconds. Around 70 to 75 hack should do it.

I don't die if a Warbot spawns on top of my Spy (and I'm not using Shelter at this point). If two spawn on me, then I have issues, but usually I "push" the Warbots to a place away from the spawn location while killing them. In the 45 seconds to two minutes it takes to kill a Warbot with my capped Epic rifle, the Warbot usually moves quite a bit BACKWARDS from its position. It's just a matter of pushing it to a non-spawn point with some cover, like a ditch or a hill. I can "push" up to three warbots at a time away from their spawn points. Four and up I have to decide on two or three to push and the rest get to march on top of my position and die at my feet. :-)

I kill the Warbot, hack them open, take all the loot, drive to another hill, kill some more warbots, hack them open, take all the loot, Obliterate, clone Psi Booster 3s from the big stuff, keep the C10s and other parts I can hold, make some ammo out of the little stuff, Throw away the junk, drive to another hill, kill more warbots....

... drive over to a GG, unload heavy parts, return to hunting...

... drive to a bonus-giving OP, research parts, make some extra APC BPs, drive to an ASG and park vehicle, then GR in, sort parts, repair armor and rifle, sell a stack of 249 Psi Booster 3's, build some APC keys, every week or two weeks find a barterer and sell a stack of keys, then GR back out and do it all over again.

Works really well for me.

superfresh
01-02-04, 11:29
In my opinion, the best would be a rifle PE. You can peg WB's from a good distance, and from what I can tell, the lower your combat rank, the better the droprate, so you could snipe them easily before your rank is too high and reap the rewards. It's also been my experience that WB's drop better than firemobs.

Heavyporker
01-02-04, 18:55
Before the range nerfs, my apu did nicely doing the warbots...

and my hack chews up their A.I.. 2 in 5 hacks over in 12 seconds...

But now with range nerfs I've got to scrag my setup (which gave me a shred of hope in any PvP that I ever get tangled in) just so I can survive the warbots non-stunner shots.

just as well. I've been turning mercantile (oh yes, more than normal), so it shouldn't be a problem (too much...)

t0tt3
01-02-04, 19:18
Why porker?

Just use PB when they are to far away....
If they come close just pwn them with the HL

Easy as hell.
I would say a hyb would be the best one :D
Shelter and blessed heal, can outheal the wb and just tank him.

Hard as hell to lvl him until hes good but´we didnt talk about fastest char to get into and farming techs or did we ? =)

Heavyporker
01-02-04, 19:21
tott3...

are you hopped up?

you forgetting a little something?

SorkZmok
01-02-04, 19:25
H-C pe on a heavy scorpion trike. The rockets do about 300 dmg per hit to a warbot and its got a great RoF.

Also he doesnt have to be capped, he needs no rare implants and hes leveld up fast.

JackScratch
01-02-04, 19:30
Actualy Heavy, I think you will find that Holy Halo and a nice hill does the job every time.

t0tt3
01-02-04, 19:31
Originally posted by Heavyporker
tott3...

are you hopped up?

you forgetting a little something?

Well I dont know if they nerfed the PB range to then ok.
Havent played this patch yet cant :(

They locked my ports "they say I spammed 8000 mails in 6 days...." and i cant find that virus that buggs me :(

Heavyporker
01-02-04, 19:36
Well... let me break it to you..

Beams are all below 150m max range (way below)

Halos are all now below 200m max range (considerably below)

Hell, Chaos Queen Flameavalanche has less range than halos now. There's NO fucking point to using it now because of gimpy range and LoS. I'm considering selling whatever CQFAs I got, cos I just don't see any hope in them anymore. Their great range and slightly better damage/rof over Fire Beam was the only reason they saw any action.

t0tt3
01-02-04, 19:47
and the HAB? LoL if its nerfed to feet range... time to reroll my papercut APU to tank then....

extract
01-02-04, 19:49
Low tech pistol PE.........with xray bones, TL 25 shelter and all resists into energy and xray(all duranit, and either light or medium duranium boots cant remember the reqs) a TL3 heal will laugh at WB damage

Shadow Dancer
01-02-04, 19:52
tot3,HAB still has supreme range.

retr0n
01-02-04, 21:30
I cant be arsed to read all the pages, but from my own experience
i've had the best hunting days as a pistol pe, two pistol PEs are
the shit, you drop the wb's real fast, you dont have 93829/60 rank
so you actually get "ok" loot compared to others, and while you
are hacking the other one can heal you, but if you are hunting alone
pistol pe would be my choice, melee weapons break so fucking
fast it's not even funny. you would have to get a repair every two
hours or something.

//Radium

Organics
01-02-04, 21:54
Hmmm interesting stuff :) Good thread, 5 star vote.

I know WB's do Xray damage, they do explosive as well I assume due to their Rockets. I assume that comes under Force damage?

So what's a good setup for resists etc for a High Tech Pistol PE ? I'm LOMing atm since my original setup was teh suxx, due to having only just started and not realizing I didn't need some and could do with less in other skills :)

Also, speaking of Hybrids. I believe the penalty for using APU and PPU has been changed? From 30% to 5%? I can't remember exactly, seems like a good time to go with some PPU due to the horrific range nerfs. :)

retr0n
01-02-04, 22:18
@Organics: well basicly you dont need more then 114 in any resist
stat... So make sure you have 114 in resist force, and rest in
transport so you can carry alot of ammo, and just put 114 into
x-ray and wear full dura armor and you should be just perfect
for WBs... if you want a pure WB hunter/farmer.

btw, dont they do nrg+xray ?

//Radium

Doc Holliday
01-02-04, 22:44
droner hacker melee heavy combat pe. if anyone touches my warbot they can choose how they wanna get pwned. ;)

Organics
01-02-04, 22:53
Originally posted by retr0n
@Organics: well basicly you dont need more then 114 in any resist
stat... So make sure you have 114 in resist force, and rest in
transport so you can carry alot of ammo, and just put 114 into
x-ray and wear full dura armor and you should be just perfect
for WBs... if you want a pure WB hunter/farmer.

btw, dont they do nrg+xray ?

//Radium

Thanks for the advice there, I'll bear it in mind :) Say for balancing resists though, what do you recommend?

I believe they do both types, yes. It's always the Xray that kills me though since I have over 150 or so of Energy resist at any given time. Actually it's usually the paralysis from the electrocution that gets me :D

Shadow Dancer
01-02-04, 22:58
Actually i'm starting to think a shelter/energy beam hybrid with specifically energy/x-ray only resists and damage boost would be the best.

O_o

retr0n
01-02-04, 23:50
Originally posted by Organics
Thanks for the advice there, I'll bear it in mind :) Say for balancing resists though, what do you recommend?

I believe they do both types, yes. It's always the Xray that kills me though since I have over 150 or so of Energy resist at any given time. Actually it's usually the paralysis from the electrocution that gets me :D

Hehe yeah i remember that :)

Well you need 0 poison & 0 fire, get a resistor chip + moveon
and specc some extra STR for lvl3 armor, get your health up
to around 350 to 400, you can do softcap on ath/agil (70/70)
since you will not be doing any PvP but still have descent runspeed
so it doesnt take you forever to cross a zone

Also wear full gamma bone set and specc good nrg/x-ray
resist and you will be perfect.

Make sure you dont get any useless points, what i mean is make
sure you are 114 in resist when self buffed otherwise it's a waste
of points

I would use a blacksun for hunting because it does pretty good dmg
and doesnt eat up any stamina, or you could use a libby if you
wanted and just replace the gamma chest for a batqueen chest
and get some extra endurance points.

However, blacksun is non-rare and pretty cheap if you dont go
over 3 slots so it's a good choice imo.

//Radium

Glok
02-02-04, 00:50
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Actually i'm starting to think a shelter/energy beam hybrid with specifically energy/x-ray only resists and damage boost would be the best.Yay! A supporter. ;) But I got the psi a little wrong, energy beam is 77 mst, not 72, so psi pool would be a little lower.

Unless you weren't referring to my char plan... 8|

TBH, what I posted is not what I'm planning anyways, but it is close. And the full transport, no resist force is a bit silly.

Sundiver
02-02-04, 01:03
I used a rifle spy with the TT epic rifle (0 slots), and I was luring up to 3 or 4 WB/WBT towards me at the same time and killing them, then hacking all with skill 70, at first attempt. Collecting heaps of parts never was a problem, and it's an easy way too.

But all that is done for now, have cancelled all of my accounts *cough* waiting for DoY and playing SWG till then *spit*

SynC_187
02-02-04, 11:13
I've tried it with all sorts of classes and chars. My best has always been my APU.

I take a WB down in seconds.
I can take up to about 6 at a time, if I get my position and timing right.
Points for hacking isn't a problem.
25 points into veh and you can speed around on a hover.

I can kill and hack about 40 WB's an hour (when they're spawning ok)